• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we all have stories of times when our parents or someone else gave us a gift that was video gaming related that just excited us to no end or simply brought us copious amounts of joy.

My personal story was receiving my first Xbox with Halo 2. I had played Halo for the first time at a friends house and was completely enamoured, I'd never played anything like it. I pretty much spent the entire night at my friends house just replaying campaign levels. When I got home I told my parents I NEEDED and Xbox and Halo. They weren't so convinced of my dire need so it took a while, but 8 months later just before my birthday they went out to get groceries. When they came back they asked me to help unload the car. When I got to the car and opened the back door there was a brand new Xbox with Halo 2 and an extra controller. I was ecstatic beyond imagining, it was not only the best video gaming gift I'd ever received, it was honestly one of the best days of my life.

What's the best video gaming gift you've ever received? Stories welcome!

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Short and sweet: My best friend. It was late 2003 and we met after I did a GBA Screen cover repair job for him. Then, he invited me to his game room where I played SA2:Battle and Melee with him.

Now? We're both adults, and still best friends, still playing the vidya 14 years later. He gave me friendship and my passion for gaming.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1 for Christmas. The excitement I had was definitely the best. Then going to play NBA Live on it started my obsession for basketball games (basketball was already myfavorite sport that I play and watch at the time).

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was 8 years old, I wanted a Game Boy for my birthday. My mom told me that there was no chance that I would ever get one and I should just forget about it. Lo and behold, my birthday comes and I get no Game Boy. Fast forward to that Christmas, and I was expecting to be disappointed once again. I thought there was 0% chance that I would get one. When I opened my gift and saw a Game Boy Pocket with three games, my heart almost burst out of happiness. I will never forget that moment.

bodybag

Oct 27, 2017
I got a white ps4 with bloodborne for my birthday from my girlfriend. Needless to say we got married and have a baby now.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger my dad got me and my brother a 60GB launch PS3 to share. We picked up Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 alongside another controller, most of our time was spent doing split screen on Resistance. I remember looking at that system and thinking how classy it looked for a game console.

This song also brings back major nostalgia every time I hear it:

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
I remember one off the top of my head. Well since GTA IV is banned where I am from, I was devastated I couldn't get a copy. So one of my friends came to my birthday event and just gave me a bag. He told me to check what's inside after event, so sticking to his word I did. Once the event was over, I remember just playing a very bad PS3 game (I think it was LOST haha) when I remembered the gift. I opened it up, and once I saw Niko's face on the front cover, I went crazy. I popped in the disc and paced all around my house while the disc was installing thinking about the features and how much fun I would spend in the game. Wasn't disappointed.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
My sister gifted me the Switch with MK8 for my birthday a few weeks ago. It was as much a gift for me than it was for my nephews who spend 2 days per week at my place. They were as happy as I was.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A purple Gamecube with both Melee and Luigi's Mansion for my birthday. Still have I hooked up to this day.

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Gold Christmas 2000.

I had no idea they made new games until I had opened that box. I ended the day with a fever and I'd still call it the best Christmas ever.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
In 2004 I was super super hyped to get Dragonball Z Budokai 3 for my birthday in Nov a week or two after it came out. I made sure my parents knew that's all I wanted and how bad I wanted it. Then I remember opening my gift and seeing the box for Timberland boots, my heart sunk. I had to seem excited on the outside because of course something is better than nothing and you gotta be happy with what you got but boy was I sad on the inside. I remember taking the box to my room from the living room where I opened it then I opened it and boom I scream out of excitement. They got me Budokai 3, NFS Underground 2 and a brand new controller for PS2, i ran back and hugged everyone and played for the entire Christmas break non stop.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My GF bought me a 360.
That got me back into gaming again after a few years with a broken OG Xbox.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
When World of Warcraft came out, I was super hyped for it. I had asked my dad to pick up a copy on his way home from work and he wanted to surprise me, so he went to like 10 different stores in multiple towns until he found a store that still had the limited edition in stock. I hadn't even asked him to look for it, so I was crazy excited when he showed me.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
NES Deluxe Set

NES-Deluxe-Set-Box-Front.jpg

I know R.O.B. didn't last but I had a ton of fun playing Gyromite back in the day.

Gameplay looks like molasses now.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my original Dreamcast. We didn't have much money, and it wasn't new, but I was ecstatic when my mom came in with a shoebox with a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure in it. She got it from a pawn shop, and it was practically brand new. I'd still have it today if I didn't leave it where I was living with my brother... That's been like 17 years now...

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
When momma bought me a ps2 for my birthday and they were hard as hell to find. She was a real MVP for that.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Famicom classic mini from an ex of mine in Japan. She absolutely hated games but knew I wanted it anyways. Waited it line for 2 hours for it. :0

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
A Nintendo 2DS, earlier this year. It's been my first real exposure to Nintendo, and it's been so much fun. I'd never really dabbled in Japanese games, or Ninteno's stuff, so it's basically been a massive journey of discovery and fun. There are a lot of franchises I'd never tried, too - Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Bravely, Ace Attorney, and the list goes on. I think my fondest memory is, simply, being curled up in the recliner with a blanket and playing Bravely Default for a couple of hours.

Not just that but it's made me realize that I greatly value portability in a gaming system, and has basically ensured that I'll get a switch at some point in the future. My perspective on gaming and fun has shifted wildly since then and it's been an absolutely fantastic present.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Probably getting a PS2, my first ever game console. I don't remember exactly what it was a gift for, but I think it was because I was at a school where I was being bullied constantly and there were never any repercussions for the kids doing it. So I wanted to leave, but my parents made a deal that if I finished out the year and got a good report card they would buy me a PS2. Toughed it out through to the end of the year, got my PS2 with Dark Cloud and Midnight Club, and the DVD for the first Harry Potter movie.

Having my own console was cool as hell, but the DVD player aspect of it blew me away as well.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
My SNES.
The first and only console I ever got as a gift, I bought all subsequent ones myself.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
First console first game ColecoVision bundle with Donkey Kong what experience opening the box up on christmas was the gift was from my parents.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
I got Pokémon Sapphire Version for Christmas 2003. It was a game I was dying to get but never ever asked for (asking for stuff never has been my style, even when I was younger), it came from a relative I barely knew or knew me (so there was pretty much no way they could've known I already had a GBA to actually play the game) so you bet I was damn happy about it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Commodore VIC-20 as a kid. It was second hand from a family friend. It was an awesome surprise I didn't expect or ask for.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Christmas 1990 (I think). I was about 8 years old and the only thing I wanted was a Game Boy. I begged my Mom, but us being lower middle class, she said it was out of the question and I knew she was right.

Come Christmas Day morning we're opening our presents and I was literally jumping up and down in excitement when I saw that iconic box. My mom apologized for not having much else and that the Game Boy blew her alloted budget for me, but I told her I didn't care and started to play a game of Tetris.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
3 way tie between getting a PS4 at launch from my best man as a wedding present, Vita from my wife (girlfriend at the time), and getting a Switch from my wife as an anniversary present. The wife wins.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That one Christmas I got an SNES w/ Super Mario World, Mario Kart, and Street Fighter II. I loved how consoles used to come with a game and two controllers back then.

writerblue

Oct 27, 2017
The Christmas I got a 3DS was pretty great. I got the original red 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Even though I had a small cold that day, I still really enjoyed it and spent most of the day playing it.

Bryce

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely when my Aunt bought me a PS2 with Kingdom Hearts when it first came out.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the N64 for Christmas from my parents.

The best unexpected video game gift came from my good friend in Middle School. Nascar Racing 2003 Season. Never even asked for it. One of the best racing sims back in the day.