• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krusty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christmas 90. My first REAL gaming console....

large.jpg

How otherworldly this box seemed after several years of a crappy Atari 2600

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Super Nintendo the year it came out

Our parents went full 'A Christmas Story' and had it wrapped and hidden behind the piano for the last present.

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
Christmas Day the year the 360 came out. I wanted it so bad but my parents couldn't find one anywhere. My dad bought one from eBay on the 23rd (still won't tell me what he paid) and had it overnighted.

Turns out it's where I met my wife and I think it's safe to say that's towards the top of the list of best gifts received period.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I came back from living in New York on nearly nothing for two years, and all I had was my Vita (which I was supremely grateful for). My brother knew how much I wanted Bayonetta 2, so he bought it for me along with a Wii U. I was floored, and I don't think I've ever felt that sense of embarrassment and unbridled joy in a single moment. There I was getting misty eyed over a piece of plastic, and he kept asking if it was the right system.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
PS2 for Xmas years ago.

Nagged my parents for ages to pre-order one for me in town, they said all stores had sold out and they'd have to get me one next year, I was disappointed but just accepted it.

Christmas day rolls around, I go downstairs and begin opening presents at the bottom of the tree when I see a huge box at the back I've not seen before. I finish opening my other presents then ask if the big box is for my Nan/Auntie etc. and they say 'no, it's for you'. My mind starts to race and I try not to get too excited before I open it, get it out tear off a little bit of paper and see that royale blue box, get increasingly excited until I reveal the PS2 logo, at this point I go absolutely bananas and run around the room at full speed/volume.

Just magical.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
aside from the N64 my parents got me way back (although the GameCube was a great one as well, the N64 was more influential for me), I'd have to say the Xbox One S that my older brother and cousin got for me for my Bday this year. I had just gotten a 49" Sony X900e 4k tv too which was perfect.

Mrfluffypuff

Oct 27, 2017
A Gamecube along with Super Mario Sunshine. It was a good ass Christmas. Now that I think about it, kids can experience the same thing with Odyssey this year. :O

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Christmas 2001, when my wife gave me an Xbox. Not only was it hard to find in stores, but I was unemployed at the time and did not expect a $400 gaming console when money was so tight. I actually teared up when I opened it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My closest friends getting me Dark Souls 1 and 2 and playing the games with them in co-op was possibly one of the best experiences I've had when it came to gaming.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Winter 2009, had been dating this girl for about 3 months, my Xbox360 had gotten the red ring of death a few weeks earlier, we go to the mall, she suggests Best Buy and once we're there she says I heard you talking about Playstation 3, do you want one? Dumbfounded I say yeah I've been thinking about it and she says merry Christmas, get one and whatever game you want. (I had just graduated College and was making $10 an hour working retail, so I was pretty broke)

Don't remember which game I got but needless to say, married her 5 years later and she's the best thing that ever happened to me.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
My Gameboy color with Pokemon Red (which works to this day), for Christmas when I was six.

It was the day I got into gaming and have never looked back!

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Someone bought me Destiny 2 PC because that month long delay killed the small amount of hype I had for it. If they didn't gift me the game I probably wasn't ever going to buy it lol

rdaneel72

Oct 27, 2017
In summer of 1997, my girlfriend (now wife) and I moved from Syracuse NY to Albuquerque NM. We were out of college, broke, and has no prospects, but we drove out here in her Chevy Cavalier with our two dogs and a bag of clothes each.

It was a hard few months in a new part of the world, with no friends, just each other. We got a crappy apartment, crappy jobs (mine was in the warehouse for a chain of adult video stores), bought a bed, and little else. Our intention was to have our stuff shipped out once we had an address, but the week we left NY, UPS went on strike, clogging up shipping for the whole country.

But, somehow, my wife saved up enough to get me an N64 with Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire that Xmas.

We didn't even have any furniture. We sat on the floor and played Mario 64 and all was right with the world.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The best? That's easy.

My Grandmother gave me Landstalker for Christmas.

I had been eyeing that game for the longest time, but I never saw it in stores. I didn't even bother asking for it as a Christmas/Birthday gift. I still can't believe she got it for me.

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've actually got a ton of stuff over the years as gifts...
Wife paid for my PS4, and my Switch (minus a Wii U trade). As a kid, I remember being really excited getting Earthbound for my Birthday, because it had the huge box and the guide.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
A SNES for my 5th birthday from my parents.

The Fallout New Vegas hardcover guide brand new from my girlfriend.

Oct 27, 2017
Tied between two in my memory gaming wise

My grandmother bought me SA the year it came out for Christmas. VC had been one of my favorite games so I was super excited. She let me open it a week early and play it for a few days without my mom knowing. I gave it back so she could wrap it. I still remember jumping on that bicycle for the first time.

Other one was when my mom got me a PS3 for Christmas. My family never had money so I never expected it. Opened it on Christmas and cried. I proceeded to tell her she can return it because I figured she needed the money. I told her I would use my allowance I had saved up. She refused.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My mom got me Chrono Trigger one year for Christmas when we literally had no money. Don't know how she did it but she did. It was a show of how much my mom wanted me to be happy despite what was going on. I still have it and will never sell it because of that.

SKRUZO

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My boss gifted me a copy of Elite: Dangerous when I came into work disappointed by the No Man's Sky launch.
It was a night and day difference of games, and I played it for around 3 months straight.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend had an extra SNES Classic and gave it to me out of nowhere. I love it.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube with Rogue Squadron II.

Tied between two in my memory gaming wise

My grandmother bought me SA the year it came out for Christmas. VC had been one of my favorite games so I was super excited. She let me open it a week early and play it for a few days without my mom knowing. I gave it back so she could wrap it. I still remember jumping on that bicycle for the first time.

Other one was when my mom got me a PS3 for Christmas. My family never had money so I never expected it. Opened it on Christmas and cried. I proceeded to tell her she can return it because I figured she needed the money. I told her I would use my allowance I had saved up. She refused.

These are nice stories. :')

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Not really one gift but my grandpa was awesome. Got me my first console a NES and then later got me the SNES. Also when I was a kid I got Super Mario Bros. 3 for Christmas. That was one of the best gifts I ever got.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember one off the top of my head. Well since GTA IV is banned where I am from, I was devastated I couldn't get a copy. So one of my friends came to my birthday event and just gave me a bag. He told me to check what's inside after event, so sticking to his word I did. Once the event was over, I remember just playing a very bad PS3 game (I think it was LOST haha) when I remembered the gift. I opened it up, and once I saw Niko's face on the front cover, I went crazy. I popped in the disc and paced all around my house while the disc was installing thinking about the features and how much fun I would spend in the game. Wasn't disappointed.

Oh man, that sounds like such a great memory to have! I personally love GTA IV and remember being so hyped about it during 2007-2008 so I can definitely imagine how excited you were.

Newnie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... Not sure if it would be considered a gift, but the first thing that comes to mind was the time I entered a Ultima Online sweepstakes to get a poster signed by the creator. Months went by and I forgot all about it and eventually found a poster in the mail. I had won.

Oct 28, 2017
My wonderful sister bought me a PS4 with a copy of Call of Duty Ghosts and I was really grateful for the gift. God bless her soul, she used to always buy me great gifts when I was at my lowest points in life.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's probablt my dad giving me a wii for Christmas with twilight princess. I couldn't find it and my dad was not the type of guy to look for a game console like that. There are others that come close but I think the wii was the best.

Last edited:

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
I've got two I can distinctly say are my favorites, but thinking back I've received so many thoughtful gaming gifts!

First was when it was my 13th birthday and my parents told me my gift was just delayed in the post system. I learned about 7 days later that they were waiting for my copy of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for GameCube to come in to EB Games. Needless to say I still love my copy of the last Zelda where Link was dedicatedly left-handed.

The other was when my cousin bought me my first console, the Sega Genesis. She was a dear person to me that we moved away from and it's because of her that I love games and tried them when I was young. She passed away because of her alcoholism a little while back and I think about her often and all the memories I have thanks to her.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I was pretty hyped when I got a Wii on Christmas Day in 2006. I think getting the GameCube three years earlier, though, really codified my interest in video games—especially because it came with the limited edition Zelda disc (I, II, OoT, and MM).

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time on N64 for Christmas from my uncle. Easily the most memorable.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't forget the day my father came back home from work and brought an Atari 2600 Jr with him. It was one of the best gifts in my life!

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
To be honest, most people know not to buy me videogame stuff just cause they would never know what to get. My buddy gave me a Dreamcast and two controllers about a year ago though when he was cleaning out his basement. That was rad, especially because I had never owned one before.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox with Splinter Cell & Halo.

It felt like such a high quality console, the graphics were astonishing. Splinter Cell had my jaw on the floor with it's shadow effects. Halo introduced me to dual thumbstick controls and had this blockbuster quality I had never seen before, you could sense how expensive it was.

I also loved the OG Duke controller.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
My grandma gave me Mario Paint (snes) for my birthday when I was 6 yo. I had a blast. I still have it, with the box and everything.

Also, my (ex) boyfriend surprised me with Pokémon SoulSilver a few years ago, it was one of the best gifts ever.