• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

The Big Funding Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I live in France, got several different phishing ads, ones trying to pass as my ISP (win an iphone x yay), or some others pretending to be facebook. Fucking hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Been getting the redirects a lot this month, I'm on mobile, Android 8. This was my latest encounter: dv724b94b02e9911e889b002780c04791460c157602e1311e889b002780c047914028260e4b223c1af29

This used to happen a lot during the later NeoGAF months... Folks, I know you are doing your best to fix the situation, but you need to try a little bit harder.

I've had times during my lunch break at work (very quiet environment) where my phone loudly announces to the entire room that I've just won a fantastic prize, which obviously is not the most pleasant of situations -_-

Edit: Dammit, didn't copy the URL correctly, but it looks just like the one posted above, only mine was based on a local big retail store.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
This malware-bait ad hijacked my browsing experience.

<url>

It was a browser window-filling red block with text talking about some Microsoft security being compromised, complete with audio auto-playing, stuff like that. Glegh.
I just got hit by this exact same one. Spooked the crap out of me, but luckily I was able to just close out the tab.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We apologize again for the issues. These bad ads are using sophisticated means to slip into the rotation, and new ones keep popping up as the old ones are purged. If things aren't looking any better by next week we'll begin exploring drastic measures.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are doing a good job of getting these ads shut down, I haven't had anything malicious happen on desktop or mobile in a few weeks.

(I just didn't want this thread to all be "Oh god! Do something! Why haven't you done anything yet?!"-type comments, ResetEra staff has been tackling these things quickly, keep up the good work.)

Oct 25, 2017
also occasionally getting full page redirects, which only seem to happen when I leave the tab and come back, but since i only have this domain whitelisted my adblocker blocks the new page.

here's the last url that was blocked, if that helps:
Code:
http://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click?adurl=https%3A%2F%2Faffcubixmedia.com%2Fclick.php%3Fkey%3Donc6nqnotnqi3v8epmzl%26t1%3Dzone%26t2%3D4444444%26t3%3Dadventive_frame%26cost%3Dusdcost
i'm on desktop for what it's worth

Oct 25, 2017
We hate that this is happening and we're passing on everything that comes through this thread.

On the ad provider end, they are very aware of the problem and there is a massive ongoing effort to fix it.
I want to chime in that it was a huge improvement to have hand-selected ads this time around, and I thought we had left the era of malware / redirect ads at GAF. It's extremely concerning that they are showing up again.

Stupid question, but are you confident this is a different ad provider that is hand-selecting the ads from the one GAF used?

Thanks for staying on top of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the redirect malware site now (blew my ear drums out). I closed it quickly because it scared the crap out of me with its sound so I have no link info :( red screen, blasted sound about files being compromised and had the Microsoft Windows logo.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
I want to chime in that it was a huge improvement to have hand-selected ads this time around, and I thought we had left the era of malware / redirect ads at GAF. It's extremely concerning that they are showing up again.

Stupid question, but are you confident this is a different ad provider that is hand-selecting the ads from the one GAF used?

Thanks for staying on top of it.
These ads aren’t necessarily coming thru just because of a specific ad provider. Ive gotten redirects on top sites like ESPN, MSNBC, and other sites who have mobile ads active. It seems to be an issue all over. Our ad platform is receptive to all the complaints and are working to get rid of them as much as possible, but it takes some time. We apologize for this still creeping up, but I can assure you we are working with them as much as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know I've been getting taken to an obvious malware page that doesn't let me leave it save through task manager without clicking some box from ResetEra lately. Do not know if it is just my protection software not being caught up to an emerging trend or something about the ads here.

It has happened a couple times, always on ResetEra but that could just be because it is a site I use a lot.

(It is one of those fake security alert things)

Oct 25, 2017
FL
Just so you know I've been getting taken to an obvious malware page that doesn't let me leave it save through task manager without clicking some box from ResetEra lately. Do not know if it is just my protection software not being caught up to an emerging trend or something about the ads here.

It has happened a couple times, always on ResetEra but that could just be because it is a site I use a lot.

(It is one of those fake security alert things)
same here, it's a red page and creates endless popups and forces fullscreen. had to end task and close all of my windows including one with an in-progress quiz

annoying, but it's the first one i've gotten (on desktop). just wanted to pop by and make sure i wasn't the only one experiencing it haha

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Any new updates on this?
We've had fewer reports in the past few days -- if you're still having issues please continue to post the links and describe the intensity of the problem here. Every bit helps. Unless we run into a bad ad ourselves, we basically rely on your feedback to know what's going on.

Where can we report bugs? I posted a bug twice yet no response
Go ahead and PM me or Ferny or deltaplus about this.

Oct 27, 2017
I *rarely* get advertisements, like one every 20 page views or something, if not less. I don't see any ads while typing this either. Though for the one ad I've seen in the past 10 minutes, there's no report button available.

I don't have: ad-blocking extensions, custom DNS servers, man-in-the-middle services like Pi-hole and whatnot. Nothing. Just Chrome on Windows.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I *rarely* get advertisements, like one every 20 page views or something, if not less. I don't see any ads while typing this either. Though for the one ad I've seen in the past 10 minutes, there's no report button available.

I don't have: ad-blocking extensions, custom DNS servers, man-in-the-middle services like Pi-hole and whatnot. Nothing. Just Chrome on Windows.
Thanks for letting us know! Those blank spots are either unfilled or bad ads that have been killed.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Any update on alternative payment infrastructure to Paypal for Clear?
We haven't gotten down a great alternative just yet but we are close. There will be an update on it in about a month.

Just got redirected again.

Chrome android Nexus 6P, latest updates.

What's being done about this?
The ad team is constantly monitoring the situation. We are never going to be able to 100% remove all instances of this at all times - sad to say. The people doing these tend to find ways to circumvent the procedures in place and flood the market with these redirects. It has gotten bad across the web recently. It seems to have died down some now, but we are still trying to make sure to get as many of these down for as long as possible.

The best thing to do is to keep letting us know and we can find the ad units doing this and removing them when possible.

Oct 29, 2017
We haven't gotten down a great alternative just yet but we are close. There will be an update on it in about a month.

The ad team is constantly monitoring the situation. We are never going to be able to 100% remove all instances of this at all times - sad to say. The people doing these tend to find ways to circumvent the procedures in place and flood the market with these redirects. It has gotten bad across the web recently. It seems to have died down some now, but we are still trying to make sure to get as many of these down for as long as possible.

The best thing to do is to keep letting us know and we can find the ad units doing this and removing them when possible.
Have the ad team considered changing the platform their using to advertise?

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Have the ad team considered changing the platform their using to advertise?
I can't get into all the specific ways it works, but it's not just one ad platform that has the issue. Just about anyone can go in to just about any ad service - as long as they have enough money - and serve ad units that seem totally good and normal, but then go in and make a change to make it malicious. There are a lot of intricacies here. It's not a simple "I don't want any redirect ads on my site", otherwise ESPN or New York Times, would never have them - and yet they got hit with them hard the last month. It's finding the source and then removing them or pricing them out so much that they can't afford to serve ads on the site.

Oct 29, 2017
I can't get into all the specific ways it works, but it's not just one ad platform that has the issue. Just about anyone can go in to just about any ad service - as long as they have enough money - and serve ad units that seem totally good and normal, but then go in and make a change to make it malicious. There are a lot of intricacies here. It's not a simple "I don't want any redirect ads on my site", otherwise ESPN or New York Times, would never have them - and yet they got hit with them hard the last month. It's finding the source and then removing them or pricing them out so much that they can't afford to serve ads on the site.
Appreciate the feedback.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad that the "partner with a premium ad service that guarantees manual, human screening of every advertisement that appears on our site" thing didn't work out for you. Seems like they are not as reliable as they should be.

Like, it's really bad. I can't even keep ResetERA open for a minute and it will redirect me to malicious websites, which aren't all being picked up by Kaspersky either. Literally was just typing a response to this thread and it redirected me to some sort of Crypto Mining extension for Firefox. Also had redirects to a couple page that have been posted on this page, so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
another one: http://congrats.net-v15.stream/sweep/se/willys/?region=Stockholms Lan&td=v1mobile.com&voluumdata=deprecated&eda=deprecated&cep=0V_RWzjJ91KiDZB95Ma_S4fS57S9O5MAEY9G90ZNPCV5rDla9aH89G6a4h-pPYIZ3Y6EIEWWmBYhbB4sJuQUGLqs1NR01AO3nfEJERE5HqZVYWCpZYkKbQSxQzaQSTJ_05j9zXOcnX4nbnHYuBekAQATHtW-xviKSHLpB4akSEf_KkqvGADfdeff6BCkvoY5ZqSRbmeypANV-H13BsfQfnSiQ14mqCSI8ITjZr3BK_rHQ03iiwYT745voyexoRTAlKoOzMHd1WIaL0ZQY8xsoLqX_ODKgxXMwk_121nBi1v6ADPTgAh7Xlre3CRbu9tXfVfxU1DfnExVDuu_mo_0BoZ4IzAX81nazT--gH_uhVNI5r259dJc1gEH22YoEaReu_KNjWhumouqIrHilpYnKA#
the internet advertising industry really has to rethink how it does things SOON or their business will be forever killed dead by adblockers and script blockers

if this is really how it works, i can no longer white list this site on my work computer. the risk is too great. i'll still allow ads on mobile though, despite all the redirects, to support the site

Last edited:

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
As far as Im aware, I haven't had complaints of redirects on desktop. It's mobile where the redirects are an issue. Have you had them on desktop?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As far as Im aware, I haven't had complaints of redirects on desktop. It's mobile where the redirects are an issue. Have you had them on desktop?
No redirects on desktop. But the situation you described in that post about how advertisers apparently can change their ads at will to slip in malicious code makes me not want to risk whitelisting ANY site on my work computer

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
No redirects on desktop. But the situation you described in that post about how advertisers apparently can change their ads at will to slip in malicious code makes me not want to risk whitelisting ANY site on my work computer
I spend so much time on ERA on my Work Computer that I paid for the no ads version. Works like a charm, also on mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.