• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

The Big Funding Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Got a tab hijack ad just now in Chrome ("Critical Chrome Error, contact us at ***-***-**** kinda thing), I would have grabbed a url or something but it crashed the tab.

Oct 25, 2017
Think I just got an embeded bit-miner. RAM and CPU usage spiked up to max and started locking up the browser. All I could do was close the tab, could not scroll to see the ad.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Think I just got an embeded bit-miner. RAM and CPU usage spiked up to max and started locking up the browser. All I could do was close the tab, could not scroll to see the ad.
You should install the NoCoin extension to block coin miners.
Chrome Firefox Opera

This way you can disable your adblocker on certain sites (or not have an adblocker at all) while still making sure that you aren't exposing yourself to coin mining ads. Basically you can disable the ad protection "layer" but still have a crypto mining protection "layer".

Oct 25, 2017
Just got re-directed to the following while in another tab:
Likewise

Code:
https://aircpc.com/nlp/index.php?s1=9e1b8usxrq5fvfe387&kw=zone%20&url=http://s0u.dipa.gdn/

https://trackingboox.com/click?node=11&time=1525550520&id=224&pid=8&sid=9&rank=0&ad=eyJ0aXRsZSI6ImJ1eSIsInVybCI6InRyaXBob2JvLmNvbSJ9
It redirected to one which then redirected a second time to the bottom link.

Worse yet, those redirects were to a malicious fake windows update site.

Oct 27, 2017
I just go re-directed to a site that got blocked by my workplace firewall, this was while I had the site minimized in a separate tab. I didn't think to grab the URL unfortunately. :/

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Cerium I barely get any ads. It's been like this since you introduced them. I have uBlock Origin disabled for Era but I get ads like... 5% of the time maybe? Completely disabling the extension makes no difference either.

I live in Spain (in case it matters because it chooses ads for my region or whatever) and use Chrome. On mobile it's the same, I get ads like 5% of the time. Most of the time the top banner is completely empty.

I mean I'm not exactly complaining that I'm not getting ads but I feel kind of bad because I whitelisted the site in order to support it. What could be the culprit?

btw I've been thinking that it would be cool to be able to gift Era Clear to other members. Maybe people could use it as a prize for contests or giveaways, tournaments etc and I'm sure it would give some extra money to the site. It would also help people who don't have and don't want to have a PayPal account.

Oct 25, 2017
France
Cerium I barely get any ads. It's been like this since you introduced them. I have uBlock Origin disabled for Era but I get ads like... 5% of the time maybe? Completely disabling the extension makes no difference either.

I live in Spain (in case it matters because it chooses ads for my region or whatever) and use Chrome. On mobile it's the same, I get ads like 5% of the time. Most of the time the top banner is completely empty.

I mean I'm not exactly complaining that I'm not getting ads but I feel kind of bad because I whitelisted the site in order to support it. What could be the culprit?
Same here except I live in France and use Firefox. My guess is the ad providers mostly focus on US consumers.

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Same here except I live in France and use Firefox. My guess is the ad providers mostly focus on US consumers.
I suspected that. I mean I understand it but isn't it a massive wasted opportunity for Era? This site is globally popular, not only in the USA. A lot of people visit the site from all over the world, including a fuckton of unregistered users who just lurk around.

And even if there are few ads to choose from for us... why doesn't it always display one of these few? Wouldn't that be better than nothing at all?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just had my first redirect ad on my work computer. I'm willing to risk it on my phone, but not on my work computer, so I'm now officially removing resetera from my adblock whitelist on my work computer. I had hoped to be able to prevent this, but it's not worth the risk of losing all my work data by some malicious site.

I will whitelist again if an announcement that you have finally completely solved this redirect issue is made

Oct 25, 2017
I just had another redirect, while I was sitting idle in the Video Games side of the forum. This makes three in the past few days alone. The previous two I reported via reporting my own posts.

If this continues I will enable Adblock until it gets sorted out, so please sort it out. Redirect link below.

congratulationswinner . global . ssl.fastly.net

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Cerium I barely get any ads. It's been like this since you introduced them.
Thank you for letting us know. Because we're trying to run cautious and safe ads, we don't get 100% ad fill so there are often blank slots around the world, although clearly some countries are more affected than others. We'll discuss this with our ad partners.

btw I've been thinking that it would be cool to be able to gift Era Clear to other members. Maybe people could use it as a prize for contests or giveaways, tournaments etc and I'm sure it would give some extra money to the site. It would also help people who don't have and don't want to have a PayPal account.
That sounds like a fun suggestion! We'll definitely look into this, although it may take quite a while since we have a lot of other priorities including site design updates.

I just had my first redirect ad on my work computer. I'm willing to risk it on my phone, but not on my work computer, so I'm now officially removing resetera from my adblock whitelist on my work computer. I had hoped to be able to prevent this, but it's not worth the risk of losing all my work data by some malicious site.

I will whitelist again if an announcement that you have finally completely solved this redirect issue is made
Sorry to hear that and for the inconvenience. The truth is no website that runs ads will ever be able to guarantee zero redirects ever; even The New York Times gets them. We are doing our best.

I just had another redirect, while I was sitting idle in the Video Games side of the forum. This makes three in the past few days alone. The previous two I reported via reporting my own posts.

If this continues I will enable Adblock until it gets sorted out, so please sort it out. Redirect link below.

congratulationswinner . global . ssl.fastly.net
Thanks for the report and the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.