The Binding of Isaac |OT| A new Era Walk Card, without the Bloat

Novocaine

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,395
Did they change something in Afterbirth+ t make it way harder to get to mega Satan or what?

I’ve been playing on and off for over a week trying and I can’t get 2 heaven rooms to spawn. I know all the tricks to increase odds. I had a run where I had 75% chance to get a heaven room and a 2.5% chance to get a Devil room and the fucking Devil room spawned.

I’m even started trying to go for Devil rooms to get Duality and I’m getting fucked over. I take an item from a Devil room and I start the next level with 33% instead of 100% chance to spawn another devil room?

I get this game likes to fuck you over but this is starting to get ridiculous.
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
Did they change something in Afterbirth+ t make it way harder to get to mega Satan or what?

I’ve been playing on and off for over a week trying and I can’t get 2 heaven rooms to spawn. I know all the tricks to increase odds. I had a run where I had 75% chance to get a heaven room and a 2.5% chance to get a Devil room and the fucking Devil room spawned.

I’m even started trying to go for Devil rooms to get Duality and I’m getting fucked over. I take an item from a Devil room and I start the next level with 33% instead of 100% chance to spawn another devil room?

I get this game likes to fuck you over but this is starting to get ridiculous.
The top percent isn't your chance to spawn specifically a Devil room, it's a chance to spawn any room between the two. The bottom number is the chance of that room being and Angel room.

If you pick up a Devil item, the percent doesn't go to 100% because you don't have a 100% of getting a Devil room, you have a 33% chance of getting a Devil room, but a 0% chance it turns into an Angel room.

So if the top number is 60%, and the bottom number is 25%, it means you have a 60% chance of spawning any room at all, and a 25% chance that room is changed into an Angel Room. Which means if you happen to get a room to spawn, there's a 75% chance it's a Devil room, not 60%.
 

azeke

Member
Oct 30, 2017
920
Astana, Kazakhstan
Did they change something in Afterbirth+ t make it way harder to get to mega Satan or what?

I’ve been playing on and off for over a week trying and I can’t get 2 heaven rooms to spawn.
Ever since Afterbirth getting Mega Satan door key pieces through Sacrifice room was the better strat.

Also, one of the later patches made it so that Angels that can appear randomly in Super Secret room drop key piece as well.
 

Novocaine

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,395
The top percent isn't your chance to spawn specifically a Devil room, it's a chance to spawn any room between the two. The bottom number is the chance of that room being and Angel room.

If you pick up a Devil item, the percent doesn't go to 100% because you don't have a 100% of getting a Devil room, you have a 33% chance of getting a Devil room, but a 0% chance it turns into an Angel room.

So if the top number is 60%, and the bottom number is 25%, it means you have a 60% chance of spawning any room at all, and a 25% chance that room is changed into an Angel Room. Which means if you happen to get a room to spawn, there's a 75% chance it's a Devil room, not 60%.
I’m pretty mad at myself for not knowing that. Thanks
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
When they said "March" I guess they meant the last week of March. If it's in testing next week, that means it's probably not launching until the next week

I thought it'd launch this week due to all the teasing. Silly me.
 

AoM

Member
Oct 31, 2017
3,094
I will laugh (read: cry) so hard if it's another Lost/Keeper type character.
 

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
370
I wish this and the DLC would get a sale on the PSN store - I didn't have a PS4 when it was on PS+ and I don't think the add-ons have ever gone on sale. I have everything on PC but I'd love to pick this up on PS4 as I do a lot more gaming there these days.
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
Okay, I mean, I get it. They're adding like 50 new achievements, maybe a new character, maybe a new boss/bosses, like 20+ items, who knows what else... that's a lot of work, maybe even as much as AB+ had as a full expansion

...but stop giving specific dates for stuff if those dates aren't going to be met, and then don't just act like you always meant to say that date.
 

AoM

Member
Oct 31, 2017
3,094
Whew. Decent amount of content. Definitely comes across as, "Well, sorry we couldn't get out the promised number of booster packs. Have this mega booster!"

But yeah. At this point, just stop mentioning specific dates (even months!).
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
Whew. Decent amount of content. Definitely comes across as, "Well, sorry we couldn't get out the promised number of booster packs. Have this mega booster!"

But yeah. At this point, just stop mentioning specific dates (even months!).
I think that's the idea, yea

Also like 75% of those achievements are just updating some AB/AB+ content and old Booster content to have unlock requirements like on the Switch

But still, they're new
 

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
953
i don't care when it comes out, but I want it.
I can only break Greed mode so many times...
 

ThisOne

Member
Oct 27, 2017
690
This is the last booster, right? Does that mean we can expect the consoles to be getting these relatively soon? I'm not holding my breath but hoping for some point in the summer.
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
Forgotten's unlock ended up boiling down to "reset with Azazel until a good item comes up"

In my case it was Ludo and that won the run for me. Only got crushed a couple times. I went on to do a couple victory laps to unlock Butter while I was at it.
 

azeke

Member
Oct 30, 2017
920
Astana, Kazakhstan
Pickups can now be picked up as soon as they hit the ground
It may be a minor change but this is pretty noticeable, it really makes for a faster overall experience.
Unforunately, this will make "this is a key" challenge even more of pain.

At least i did this challenge on PC and on all three files on Switch already so i won't have to do it again. Maybe...
 

azeke

Member
Oct 30, 2017
920
Astana, Kazakhstan

Tainted

Member
Oct 25, 2017
398
Australia
It's an achievement for beating The Lamb without picking up coins and bombs (but you can pick keys, cards, batteries and pills).
Oh achievement .. sorry, thought you were referring to the challenges :)

For "It's the Key" you need to actively avoid collectables on the floor and if one drops from an enemy and you instantly pick it up -- you ruined it.
Its only a subtle change though. Previously there was a small delay where pickups couldn't be picked up (we're talking milliseconds here); but now that gap is removed. You still need to be where the pickup is to get it, I wouldn't assume it would make it too much harder tbh...but I will try it out myself and see.
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
The Forgotten feels kind of overpowered for being a hidden "challenge" character.

I had no trouble at all getting everything but Hush, Mega Satan and the two Greed fights

Also Book of the Dead is ridiculously good. The skeleton army has a surprising amount of AI. They actually stand and wait before walking over spikes and actually rudimentary dodges. Jaw Bone is pretty good too. All of his unlocks seem pretty great.
 

AoM

Member
Oct 31, 2017
3,094
The Forgotten feels kind of overpowered for being a hidden "challenge" character.

I had no trouble at all getting everything but Hush, Mega Satan and the two Greed fights

Also Book of the Dead is ridiculously good. The skeleton army has a surprising amount of AI. They actually stand and wait before walking over spikes and actually rudimentary dodges. Jaw Bone is pretty good too. All of his unlocks seem pretty great.
I probably wouldn't call him OP.

But I'm just glad we got a character who isn't like Lost or Keeper.
 

TSM

Member
Oct 27, 2017
1,637
I unlocked the forgotten on my first run today. I made a couple attempts yesterday so I was prepared for the constant foot stomps. Then I decided to try a run as the forgotten and took out Mega Satan and Delirium in that run. Chocolate milk + cursed eye is a ridiculous combo as the forgotten. You can no longer throw your bone club, but it one shots most minor bosses in the game. I wouldn't recommend cursed eye for your Delirium run though. He's such a cheap bastard and I got teleported out of the fight like 15 times, and that's with 3 flies shielding me. The cheapest hit was probably the off screen homing brimstone. Delirium is just brutal.
 

Dangerblade

Member
Oct 25, 2017
939
United Kingdom
Without spoiling anything, is unlocking the new character something I'm likely to figure out how to do on my own, or is it Lost levels of contrived? If the latter, I'll just google what you gotta do.
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
Without spoiling anything, is unlocking the new character something I'm likely to figure out how to do on my own, or is it Lost levels of contrived? If the latter, I'll just google what you gotta do.
You might accidentally get it on your own, but it's not likely.

It's possible to "naturally" find it... just not really.
I probably wouldn't call him OP.

But I'm just glad we got a character who isn't like Lost or Keeper.
His melee attack makes a joke of the first half of the game, and by then you've probably got a beefed up soul to transition to a ranged character. On top of that, the ranged form has a built in bullet shield via the skeleton body. The Forgotten never loses devil deal chance, and can temporarily sacrifice his soul to get whatever deal he wants. He can pick up items from afar with his soul, he can open spiked chests for free, he can get in cursed rooms for almost free, he has two different health pools he can manage, so if one takes too much damage, he can switch to the other.

I'm not even really sure what his downside is. Bone Hearts are just straight better than hearts unless you take a ton of damage at one time (they don't change devil deal chance and can take 2-3 hits instead of 1-2 hits)

Late game his melee falls off pretty hard, but now you've got a normal ranged character and the movement restriction isn't that big of a deal because the skeleton blocks attacks and most enemies fire in straight lines.
 
Last edited:

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
919
Ohio
How's the new boss? Everyone's wrapped up talking about the Forgotten but I haven't seen word one about the boss. Is it end game? Or an alternate for earlier floors?
 
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

Member
Oct 25, 2017
22,394
Rochester, New York
So I did Boss Rush and Hush with Forgotten and that means I'm done with the Forgotten :(

Now I just have some booster unlocks and I'm done with achievements again
How's the new boss? Everyone's wrapped up talking about the Forgotten but I haven't seen word one about the boss. Is it end game? Or an alternate for earlier floors?
It's awful. Unless you've got a really good build, you're going to take damage.

It's a womb boss
 

AoM

Member
Oct 31, 2017
3,094
His melee attack makes a joke of the first half of the game, and by then you've probably got a beefed up soul to transition to a ranged character. On top of that, the ranged form has a built in bullet shield via the skeleton body. The Forgotten never loses devil deal chance, and can temporarily sacrifice his soul to get whatever deal he wants. He can pick up items from afar with his soul, he can open spiked chests for free, he can get in cursed rooms for almost free, he has two different health pools he can manage, so if one takes too much damage, he can switch to the other.

I'm not even really sure what his downside is. Bone Hearts are just straight better than hearts unless you take a ton of damage at one time (they don't change devil deal chance and can take 2-3 hits instead of 1-2 hits)

Late game his melee falls off pretty hard, but now you've got a normal ranged character and the movement restriction isn't that big of a deal because the skeleton blocks attacks and most enemies fire in straight lines.
Even so, I'll gladly take a character that's fun to play over another Keeper.

Edit: Only Greedier left with the Forgotten. This'll be fun...
 
Last edited:

Stat

Member
Oct 25, 2017
1,197
The Forgotten feels kind of overpowered for being a hidden "challenge" character.

I had no trouble at all getting everything but Hush, Mega Satan and the two Greed fights

Also Book of the Dead is ridiculously good. The skeleton army has a surprising amount of AI. They actually stand and wait before walking over spikes and actually rudimentary dodges. Jaw Bone is pretty good too. All of his unlocks seem pretty great.
I don't mind it being OP due to the many interesting synergies but I will likely only play as Eden once I finish up the post-it note.

That being said, as much as I love Binding of Isaac, I will never do the Void or Greedier or Hush by choice. Really wish they re-worked that boss fight.