• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2017
Finally beat all challenges.

Ultra Hard was second to last. Had a fantastic run a couple of weeks ago that ended... can't remember how, in the womb. I had more than 20 damage and 5 rate of fire. Fucked it up. Finally cleared it yesterday, as the first item I got was the book that gives black hearts. Proceeded to finish with six heart containers, pyromaniac, Beelzebub transformation and magic mush.

Then, my last one to clear was... cat got your tongue. Was never able to beat that one for some reason, only reaching mom's foot once.
Managed to do it easily today, thanks to cube of meat !

Only 11 achievements left to go now.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Any word on when the 5th booster pack will drop for the switch? Or is it still in the vague "Sometime later" category?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason to try to beat the game with certain characters?

Do i just keep beating mom's heart or satan over and over or will things change at some point?

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to try to beat the game with certain characters?

Do i just keep beating mom's heart or satan over and over or will things change at some point?
Yeah beating certain paths with certain characters unlocks different things.

Things do change; new routes will open to you the more you play and the more you beat the paths you currently have unlocked... (trying to be vague so you can discover for yourself!)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah beating certain paths with certain characters unlocks different things.

Things do change; new routes will open to you the more you play and the more you beat the paths you currently have unlocked... (trying to be vague so you can discover for yourself!)
I guess i just don't know if i should keep picking one character over another. Like, is there a better reason to keep playing as magdalene, cain or judas or should I just stick with isaac? Should I focus on Mom or Satan? I actually haven't been able to find Isaac. Also, what triggers angel rooms? I think ive only spawned one.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I guess i just don't know if i should keep picking one character over another. Like, is there a better reason to keep playing as magdalene, cain or judas or should I just stick with isaac? Should I focus on Mom or Satan? I actually haven't been able to find Isaac. Also, what triggers angel rooms? I think ive only spawned one.

Ultimately, you want to kill every boss in the game with every character. You can see which bosses you have killed with which characters by post-it marks on character selection screen, your goal is to complete these. Pretty much every single thing you do in the game unlocks something, and defeating certain bosses with certain characters unlock new items, characters etc Also there are bosses that you can access only by doing something within given timeframe (
e.g. to access boss rush you need to kill Mom in 20 minutes, to access Hush you need to kill Mom's Heart in 30 minutes
). Mom/It Lives is barely a mid-boss, there's so much more than that.

To find Isaac after beating It Lives you need to access the beam of light rather than entering the trapdoor.

Angel room triggers are the same are devil room, only once you take a single item from any devil room angel rooms won't spawn ever.

Using resources like Platinum God or Isaac Gamepedia after playing the game a little is honestly recommendable, there are so many mechanics you want to learn about that are purposely left obtuse in the game.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, you want to kill every boss in the game with every character. You can see which bosses you have killed with which characters by post-it marks on character selection screen, your goal is to complete these. Pretty much every single thing you do in the game unlocks something, and defeating certain bosses with certain characters unlock new items, characters etc Also there are bosses that you can access only by doing something within given timeframe (
e.g. to access boss rush you need to kill Mom in 20 minutes, to access Hush you need to kill Mom's Heart in 30 minutes
). Mom/It Lives is barely a mid-boss, there's so much more than that.

To find Isaac after beating It Lives you need to access the beam of light rather than entering the trapdoor.

Angel room triggers are the same are devil room, only once you take a single item from any devil room angel rooms won't spawn ever.

Using resources like Platinum God or Isaac Gamepedia after playing the game a little is honestly recommendable, there are so many mechanics you want to learn about that are purposely left obtuse in the game.
Thanks, super helpful.

Uh... how do I access It Lives?

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Serious question: if I don't enjoy the original game, what're the chances I'll like Rebirth? It feels like the original is full of garbage items and, more often than not, I'd end up with nothing useful and have to plink away at bosses with base tears.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Serious question: if I don't enjoy the original game, what're the chances I'll like Rebirth? It feels like the original is full of garbage items and, more often than not, I'd end up with nothing useful and have to plink away at bosses with base tears.
It's much better than the original.

Though after multiple expansions, there is a small problem sometimes with there being so many items that it can be tough to get a good one. But overall, you shouldn't have to worry about that here (most of the time).

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a wonderful Keeper run where I knocked out The Lamb, Mega Satan and Delirium all in one go, so happy! A literally blessed run with tons of Angel items. Stars throughout the run were Mom's Knife, Godhead, Swallowed Penny, Holy Mantle and the Holy Grail.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a wonderful Keeper run where I knocked out The Lamb, Mega Satan and Delirium all in one go, so happy! A literally blessed run with tons of Angel items. Stars throughout the run were Mom's Knife, Godhead, Swallowed Penny, Holy Mantle and the Holy Grail.
I recently bought the Switch version (triple dipping from PC .... and PS4) and I'm dreading my Keeper/Delirium run.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought the Switch version (triple dipping from PC .... and PS4) and I'm dreading my Keeper/Delirium run.

I'm quite pissed because the Hush portal appeared after Mom's Heart/It Lives, and I didn't go through it thinking it would pop up again later. Don't think I'll have a broken run like that for a while.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite pissed because the Hush portal appeared after Mom's Heart/It Lives, and I didn't go through it thinking it would pop up again later. Don't think I'll have a broken run like that for a while.
For me, I find Hush is pretty easy, just not fun as most fights feel like a slug fest.

But even Lost/Delirium is going to require a special run + luck due to the telefragging.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Yessssss, beat Hush as the Keeper. Barring any new post-it note shenanigans in Repentance, I'm done with this wretched character!

Edit: aaaaaannnndd Ultra Hard down too! Today was a good Isaac day.

Edit 2: Pokey Mans down. Literally just Onan's Streak and I'm done with challenges!

Edit 3: and Onan's done. All challenges done :D

Last edited:

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to have a status update on the Switch version. I hope the upcoming DLC doesn't have as long of a gap to make it to Switch.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wohoo, I double dipped and now own the switch version. Perfect combo! Switch is now my roguelike/lite machine witb Steredenn, Necrodancer, Gungeon and this. Those are perfect games for my current lifestyle. Now where is Spelunky? :)

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I have triple dipped on the PS4, PC, and Switch. The game is just too much fun on my Switch. Its where I'll buy the final DLC.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EXTREMELY excited for the final boosters coming to Switch... Has Repentance been confirmed for Switch?

Also slightly related but I still haven't received my shipping confirmation for the board game :(

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the game on 3DS for a while and I just beat Mega Satan on hard. Feels kind of sad, since the 3DS version didn't get the DLC, I've basically come as far as I can in that version. I guess I'll have to pick up the DLC for the PC version and move over to that now.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

:D

Had a Lilith run with Ball of Bandages as the first boss item. Then chanced on a room with two batteries on the second floor. Bandage Girl. Boom.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The Forgotten feels awful to control on PS4, I don't feel they've adapted his moveset well to the PS4 controller at all. Anyone else feel like this?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I own this on PS4 and Switch, the PS4 version is definitely the definitive version of the two.
The rooms have shadows and the filter option gives the sprites a higher definition look.
Also there are more graphical effects but I really wish Nicalis would update the games front-end and loading screen to represent that you own the afterbirth+ dlc.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I own this on PS4 and Switch, the PS4 version is definitely the definitive version of the two.
The rooms have shadows and the filter option gives the sprites a higher definition look.
Also there are more graphical effects but I really wish Nicalis would update the games front-end and loading screen to represent that you own the afterbirth+ dlc.

Oh god please tell me you don't use the hideous filter option 🤢

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Completed all my unlocks before 100 deaths lol. Now to just complete the secrets that are "Pick up 2 technology items in one run" & grab the remaining items.

Is there an easy way to stuff like "Enlarge yourself" other than the pill item + battery charges?

Should I just be playing as Isaac?

EDIT: I think the Pandora's box on dark room secret is bugged :(

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Completed all my unlocks before 100 deaths lol. Now to just complete the secrets that are "Pick up 2 technology items in one run" & grab the remaining items.

Is there an easy way to stuff like "Enlarge yourself" other than the pill item + battery charges?

Should I just be playing as Isaac?

EDIT: I think the Pandora's box on dark room secret is bugged :(

It isn't bugged, I did it a day or so ago.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was able to unlock everything on PS4. At least, I think. I did it awhile ago. Getting two Technology items in one run was one of the challenges that took me forever to get.

Edit: oh, new boosters are out? Any new trophies on ps4?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was able to unlock everything on PS4. At least, I think. I did it awhile ago. Getting two Technology items in one run was one of the challenges that took me forever to get.

Edit: oh, new boosters are out? Any new trophies on ps4?

No new trophies, though trophies are retroactively affected, i.e. you need to collect the new Booster Pack stuff to unlock relevant trophies, etc.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there were new trophies. Oh well, still looking forward to trying out the new character.

He's pretty fun once you adjust to how he controls, it's very awkward at first on the PS4 controller. Finished all of his post-it-note stuff yesterday, and did my Delirium run as Lilith, so all my notes are complete.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to unlock the extension cord on PS4? It says you need to have The Battery, 9 Volt, and Car Battery in your collection, which I do. Not sure if that means that I've already unlocked the extension cord or not.

Edit: Nevermind. Went to the Secrets section and realized that it unlocked already when I downloaded the new patch.

Last edited:

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I broke the game on the chest to nearly finish out all the items to collect. I just couldn't get the Scissors or A Pony to spawn :(

I still need to "Enlarge myself 5 times" and "Play the Shell Game 100 times" too but should be easy enough. I just want to do this before the Switch booster but I may be too late.

It isn't bugged, I did it a day or so ago.
It works on the Chest.

Similarly, I couldn't enlarge myself 5 times using the strength card on the Switch which the wiki says you are supposed to do.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I just got million percent on my Switch version a couple nights ago so Im hyped for more booster pack stuff!