• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else notice how Curse of Darkness seems way darker on PS4 since the patch? Is that intentional?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Yesterday did my Switch version update and and managed to unlock The Forgotten! :D Took a while to get the hang of him but managed to make it all the way past ??? and unlock some items.

Isaac is still one of my most fav games ever, despite spending hundreds of hours 100%'ing it on Xbox I still happily started all over again on Switch cause its that damn good - not many games I could say that about lol! :D

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I played Four Souls with my dad and brother today

The game lasted 2.5 hours and it only ended because my dad and I did literally everything possible to end the game, no matter who won. My brother had a set of items that could have prolonged the game indefinitely and eventually just stopped using them because he got bored.

It's... not really balanced or consistent with time. When my brother and I played a few weeks ago, our game lasted 20 minutes.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the new items on Switch with the secrets are awful. They aren't hard or fun. They're just artificially increasing the play time like 10 tears up pills or 5 rubber cements.

Did the Forgotten stuff in 4 runs (greed, polaroid w boss rush, void with hush, negative with Mega Satan) so that was fun.

I played Four Souls with my dad and brother today

The game lasted 2.5 hours and it only ended because my dad and I did literally everything possible to end the game, no matter who won. My brother had a set of items that could have prolonged the game indefinitely and eventually just stopped using them because he got bored.

It's... not really balanced or consistent with time. When my brother and I played a few weeks ago, our game lasted 20 minutes.
I played yesterday for 4 hours before ending it because no one had one. we realized today that we had totally read the rules wrong. The rules are awful and poorly written.

"You may attack a monster once" ....does not mean "You can only roll once"

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PC, but this is the last one I need. I've probably played at least 10-15 hours for it alone at this point lol. It just won't appear.

That's the thing, in my million percent, I don't even remember getting rubber cement more than twice. At this point, I'll probably just do a Lost run and then D4 at the end or something? Seems kinda lame.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Did the recent Switch update bork the game for anyone else? I've have 30 hours of playtime on this version with zero issues, but just downloaded the update and am suddenly experiencing tons of sound glitches and major dropped frames.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Did the recent Switch update bork the game for anyone else? I've have 30 hours of playtime on this version with zero issues, but just downloaded the update and am suddenly experiencing tons of sound glitches and major dropped frames.

Yep. Same here. Just came to post this but the game has been completely dropping in frames. Its unplayable in a lot of parts. Wish Switch allowed for roll back

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yep. Same here. Just came to post this but the game has been completely dropping in frames. Its unplayable in a lot of parts. Wish Switch allowed for roll back

Shit. Well, at least that seems to be the explanation, but it sucks that I haven't heard anything else about it -- the update basically broke the game for me, too, and that's a major drag. Here's hoping the developer is aware.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 version has some losing issues since the patch, too. Loading times seem quite a bit longer than before. Nothing major but it's still noticeable. No frame drops that I've noticed, thankfully.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
So I was a hardcore Isaac player since the games initial release, but finally fell off a couple of months after Afterbirth came out. Some of the nerfs felt foolish and I really hated the introduction of damage scaling on bosses.

I'm looking to get back into things now and I'm wondering what the best way to play these days is. I feel like at some point I read something that the community was leaning toward a fan mod as being superior, is that still the case? Did they ever fix some of the changes made in Afterbirth due to criticism?

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So I was a hardcore Isaac player since the games initial release, but finally fell off a couple of months after Afterbirth came out. Some of the nerfs felt foolish and I really hated the introduction of damage scaling on bosses.

I'm looking to get back into things now and I'm wondering what the best way to play these days is. I feel like at some point I read something that the community was leaning toward a fan mod as being superior, is that still the case? Did they ever fix some of the changes made in Afterbirth due to criticism?
That fan mod's creator was hired and is now working on making it official paid DLC. He also worked on some of the most recent AB+ patches.

Afterbirth+ was released and was garbage at release. It took a year or so of patches and content updates, but AB+ is a fantastic expansion now and worth getting. It even fixes a bunch of issues with Afterbirth, like the awkward scaling of difficulty.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
That fan mod's creator was hired and is now working on making it official paid DLC. He also worked on some of the most recent AB+ patches.

Afterbirth+ was released and was garbage at release. It took a year or so of patches and content updates, but AB+ is a fantastic expansion now and worth getting. It even fixes a bunch of issues with Afterbirth, like the awkward scaling of difficulty.
So Afterbirth+ is an additional $10 on top of Afterbirth?

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
NhYCPYx.jpg

Fuck Edmund McMillen. Fuck Nicalis. That's all.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
How to win Greedier as Lost:

1. Start Greedier with your favourite character (the strongest ones right of the gate in Greed/Greedier are Eve and Forgotten)
2. Get D20
3. Break the game and fish for Missing Poster.
4. Become OP and resurrect as Lost by dying with a Missing Poster.
5. Win.

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
9bHAxSq.jpg

Finally 😭

Last night I reached Ultra Greed several times without "breaking" the game, but I couldn't beat him due to the randomness of some of his attacks and not having enough damage to end the fight quickly. I had a run where I was doing fine, but the stupid curse of darkness killed me; I coulnd't predict his jumps during his second form.

So I decided to break the game with the D20 or Blank Card or whatever, but I was tired and tilted and I threw a few runs. Fighting with 3.50 damage and dying to two champion Bloats just a wave before using the D20 was so much fun tho 🙃

This run I found enough damage to carry me through the Basement and the Caves and then I must've been nearly and hour fooling around with the D20 (and Blank Card later) until I found Gnawed Leaf. I had Algiz and Chaos Card just in case 😅

This is the first time I've beaten Greedier and The Lost is the first character with full completion marks on hard mode, so things should be easier now... well, hello there, Keeper 😶

How to win Greedier as Lost:

1. Start Greedier with your favourite character (the strongest ones right of the gate in Greed/Greedier are Eve and Forgotten)
2. Get D20
3. Break the game and fish for Missing Poster.
4. Become OP and resurrect as Lost by dying with a Missing Poster.
5. Win.
I didn't know if respawning as another character counted as completion, but yeah, I should've done this 😰
The first couple of floors are the hardest part, at least for me.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
9bHAxSq.jpg

Finally 😭

Last night I reached Ultra Greed several times without "breaking" the game, but I couldn't beat him due to the randomness of some of his attacks and not having enough damage to end the fight quickly. I had a run where I was doing fine, but the stupid curse of darkness killed me; I coulnd't predict his jumps during his second form.

So I decided to break the game with the D20 or Blank Card or whatever, but I was tired and tilted and I threw a few runs. Fighting with 3.50 damage and dying to two champion Bloats just a wave before using the D20 was so much fun tho 🙃

This run I found enough damage to carry me through the Basement and the Caves and then I must've been nearly and hour fooling around with the D20 (and Blank Card later) until I found Gnawed Leaf. I had Algiz and Chaos Card just in case 😅

This is the first time I've beaten Greedier and The Lost is the first character with full completion marks on hard mode, so things should be easier now... well, hello there, Keeper 😶

I didn't know if respawning as another character counted as completion, but yeah, I should've done this 😰
The first couple of floors are the hardest part, at least for me.

Just hide in rocks or over a gap or something. It can take a bit to finish a floor doing this but if you're on top of rocks, most stuff can't hit you. Also, if you don't get two good items on the first floor, you might as well restart (either tears up or damage up or both).

Edit: Oh, just realized you beat it. Congrats! Definitely a pain. Keeper can also be a total pain to complete the post-it. Have you finished him yet?

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, just realized you beat it. Congrats! Definitely a pain. Keeper can also be a total pain to complete the post-it. Have you finished him yet?
I unlocked Keeper, Zodiac, Dad's Lost Coin and Godhead at the end of this run 😅

I know he uses coins as health (so Piggy Bank and Swallowed Penny should be pretty good) and starts with triple shot, but I remember reading he can be even harder than The Lost. I'm guessing that without heart containers you can't take deals with the devil? That would suck.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Short heads up:
Patch 1.3 is finally out on Switch for the european retail version.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well, after I stopped playing the game a while back (before delirium was added iirc), I bought the game on switch some time ago, and man is it as addictive as ever.
Just beat delirium for the first time, on a run I thought was lost.
Less than 20 hours played in switch, I haven't even unlocked the small rock!

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times but if I have access to every platform what's the best version to check out? Switch for portability?

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
So Afterbirth+ is going to be required for the upcoming expansion? It's on sale and I never picked it up, so this seems like it might be a decent time to grab it.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Man greed mode really sucks. I think in my last four runs I've managed to bank less than ten coins total. I had a run where I put a single coin in the machine before it jammed.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
As someone who got 100% Achievements on the Xbox One Rebirth & Afterbirth (it was my main home of Isaac back in the day)... I don't think I could go back, they took way too long and I moved on to the Switch one at launch.

Shame I'll lose my 100% on it though if they actually release it. >_>

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to get the Lost completion marks recently, and I was suprised at how well I actually managed to do. I only have Greed and Boss Rush to get now. Boss Rush is such a pain though, relies so much on getting something to make you OP enough and also not getting that stupid demon that fires curved Brimstone at you. That thing is so frustrating to avoid. The hunt continues, but I shall have Godhead as my reward.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Repentance stream

He'll be live for 30 minutes apparently.

Edit: didn't get to see that much (some new items, animations, etc.), but got to see a little

Downpour (now called Dross) and Mines.

Last edited:

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
Also it sounded like he kind of hinted there might be another new mode coming?

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I'll have to watch again for the timestamp but someone in chat asked about a new mode and Tyrone was just kind of squirming around the question saying you'll have to wait but I could just be reading into it 😜

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Even though it was a little jokingly, Tyrone said the release date will probably be between Christmas and 2020 Olympics (July/August).

So I'll guess April/May.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really disappointed that seemingly all characters have received a tear-rate nerf. Here's a playlist of various Repentance playthroughs at PAX:

All characters with tears now start with 11 rate of fire, rather than 10 (though Samson was always 11), and Azazel with his mini-Brimstone now starts at 32 rather than 31.

Maggy now starts with an HP Up pill, rather than her Speed Up pill (after beating the April's Fool challenge), so I guess they're doubling down on her 'tank' status.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017
I'm really disappointed that seemingly all characters have received a tear-rate nerf. Here's a playlist of various Repentance playthroughs at PAX:

All characters with tears now start with 11 rate of fire, rather than 10 (though Samson was always 11), and Azazel with his mini-Brimstone now starts at 32 rather than 31.

Maggy now starts with an HP Up pill, rather than her Speed Up pill (after beating the April's Fool challenge), so I guess they're doubling down on her 'tank' status.

+1 firerate isn't that big of a difference in the long run. Also, in terms of Maggie, I think this change is good since I think it's kind of dumb to just give her an item that counteracts her one main weakness. That'd be like if Judas had an unlockable item that gave him +2 red heart containers.

Apr 24, 2018
Been a while since I've played TBOI...but been feeling the itch lately. I'm really thinking about grabbing it on Switch while it's on sale. Does purchasing Afterbirth+ give one access to all the official content released thus far?