• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
So that means only if you break a bone heart? Taking red heart damage still doesn't matter?

Even though it was OP before I'll miss the easy Devil deals :P

Oct 24, 2017
Note to self: victory lap locks achievements. It's weird that the icon doesn't show up in the run to tell you that, but oh well. I'll get the Forgotten next time.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Finally beat Greedier with the Forgotten.

Still such a trash boss.
Greedier in some respects is easier than regular Greed because he has less attacks: door lasers (dodgeable), bombing jump and tremors cracks on landing (dodgeable by moving away from jump trajectory and standing by the wall so cracks go into wall), triple coin spit (dodgeable by going in between shots).

Biggest danger is semi-random spinning coins that fall from the sky and but that's same for first phase.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Greedier in some respects is easier than regular Greed because he has less attacks: door lasers (dodgeable), bombing jump and tremors cracks on landing (dodgeable by moving away from jump trajectory and standing by the wall so cracks go into wall), triple coin spit (dodgeable by going in between shots).

Biggest danger is semi-random spinning coins that fall from the sky and but that's same for first phase.
It's just so transparent that its only purpose is for unlocks. Once you get the unlocks for Greedier, there's no reason to play it anymore (with Greed mode, I can see doing a run here and there).

My biggest problem with Ultra Greedier is that you can go from wrecking Ultra Greed to just getting destroyed by Greedier. But if you happen to have Pyromaniac or Host Hat, the fight becomes ridiculously easy. It's just bad design.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding it really difficult to beat Greedier as Azazel. I've actually found it easier as other characters. No matter how much damage items I manage to get, I don't seem to dent the final boss's HP that much.

Any tips?

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Greedier fight for Azazel is quite legit tricky because one thing single thing Azazel lacks -- range is what allows not to die to Greedier's attacks because all his attacks are explosions.

So you need to prioritize range which are are just instant rerolls/skips for any other character.

Bookworm transformation helps Azazel occasionally doubling his blast so make sure you check books. You need hold three different books in your run to get it.

Same for Spun (three kinds of Syringes) and obviously Guppy.

But these are things you could and should be doing with all characters, so nothing is really specific to Azazel.

Just get damage, get defense.

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm finding it really difficult to beat Greedier as Azazel. I've actually found it easier as other characters. No matter how much damage items I manage to get, I don't seem to dent the final boss's HP that much.

Any tips?
Keep resetting until you get a good starting item in your treasure room.

I kept going until I got Ludo, and from there it was pretty easy.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
If you really find that is absolutely impossible for you to win without resetting -- then go ahead.

But otherwise resetting is a waste of time that will only turn you away from the game. The best wins are always against odds and with 500+ items and thousands of synergies you WILL get your chance to claw your way to victory.

Don't just wait for luck to come to you. Make it yourself. There is always a way. Even if you think there isn't -- there absolutely is.

For example is you're having THAT much of a trouble with Azazel vs Greedier do Greedier runs with easier characters (for you -- since Azazel already is kinda easy) and remember to take Switcher and turn to Azazel later when you achieve good stats.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips?

I think the issue with Greed mode is that its completely the opposite of the base game.

You have to find ways to replenish health and defense. When I was going for Greedier mode with the Forgotten, I'd actually reset on the final boss if I knew I didnt have the right stats. Focus on finding ways to extend your life (rather than damage dealt) as there is a diminishing return on the final boss.

That being said, Greedier Mode/Hush/Delirium are awful bosses so dont beat yourself up too bad

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I think the issue with Greed mode is that its completely the opposite of the base game.
If anything, Greed mode is the epitome of the base game, because all demands on you are heightened tenfold in Greed mode. But otherwise it's all the same stuff -- pick and choose items, don't get hit, be fast and be aware.

When I was going for Greedier mode with the Forgotten, I'd actually reset on the final boss if I knew I didnt have the right stats.
Ultimately you decide what kind of stats you get so if you arrive at Greed with bad stats...

And even then -- just giving up like that after spending like 20+ minutes on greed run is yet another waste of your own time. I mean just try it? What do you have to lose?.. Additional 5 minutes?.. But imagine how good it will feel if you pull through and win it...

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Greed mode is the epitome of the base game, because all demands on you are heightened tenfold in Greed mode. But otherwise it's all the same stuff -- pick and choose items, don't get hit, be fast and be aware.

Ultimately you decide what kind of stats you get so if you arrive at Greed with bad stats...

And even then -- just giving up like that after spending like 20+ minutes on greed run is yet another waste of your own time. I mean just try it? What do you have to lose?.. Additional 5 minutes?.. But imagine how good it will feel if you pull through and win it...

Disagree completely. The main strategy of Isaac for success is glass cannon. Glass cannon doesn't really work in Greed Mode. Greed mode is fun but it has an awful boss.

I disagree. Like the regular game, if you can't buy good items, Greed Mode cant really help you sometimes.

5 minutes of a slow and unfun death or 5 minutes of trying anew.

I will admit - I only played Greed/ier for the unlocks. once I did that, back to Eden streaks for me

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
The main strategy of Isaac for success is glass cannon.
It is one of many, many, many strategies, yes. Edmund's (and mine) favourite character is Eve -- perfect glass cannon, because she gets big damage boosts for cutting herself.

Glass cannon doesn't really work in Greed Mode.
It totally works.

If it didn't Eve would not be as overpowered in Greed mode as she is. Use Razor Blade once to activate Whore of Babylon mode and enjoy killing all waves in one go with 7+ damage and helpful dead bird. You also get maximum coins for doing that.

5 minutes of a slow and unfun death or 5 minutes of trying anew.
Not "5 minutes of trying anew" but more potential hours of playing and resetting instead of just trying. Why would you knowingly subject yourself to this?

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It is one of many, many, many strategies, yes. Edmund's (and mine) favourite character is Eve -- perfect glass cannon, because she gets big damage boosts for cutting herself.

It totally works.

If it didn't Eve would not be as overpowered in Greed mode as she is. Use Razor Blade once to activate Whore of Babylon mode and enjoy killing all waves in one go with 7+ damage and helpful dead bird. You also get maximum coins for doing that.

Not "5 minutes of trying anew" but more potential hours of playing and resetting instead of just trying. Why would you knowingly subject yourself to this?

The goal of Greed mode is to beat the final boss. The floors are painfully easy compared to the final (and unfun) boss.

I would be willing to bet most people who have 1000+ hours in this game, play mostly the standard game.

Why would I knowingly subject myself to an unfun boss? To get the unlocks. Since I've unlocked all the stuff, Ive never fought Hush, Delirium, or Greed mode.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
The goal of greed mode is to find some way to break it by the third floor, and restart if you can't
Breaking Greed(-ier) mode takes several times more than regular 20-30 minutes Greed mode run.

Restarting is an even bigger waste of time.

The floors are painfully easy compared to the final (and unfun) boss.
Do you press the button in Greed room? Because if you don't -- as is required if you want to get maximum coins -- killing all incoming waves in one go is harder than any boss, Greed and Delirium included. If you're unlucky with waves the very first floor can be much more dangerous than any boss or any two bosses and not just because you have low, standard HP and stats.

The hardest challenges in Greedier are getting through waves in Womb and Sheol because they often spawn brimstone enemies and eyes that kill you from afar.

Why would I knowingly subject myself to an unfun boss?
Why would you subject yourself to MORE hours of grinding in a mode you hate? Instead of just trying? Just compare hours you save and hours you waste.

Don't be afraid to die miserably in Binding of Isaac. It's a videogame! Go for it.

Resetting after spending half an hour in a run because "stats are not good" makes even less sense because you are trading higher chance to win for lower chance to win simply because you are too afraid of playing the game.

My last 2 Greedier wins ended with half red heart -- one hit from death and they were such a harrowing and fun experiences, i posted them on twitter:

I am not even trying to show off because between these two runs i had one or two where i died as Maggy on like second floor because i couldn't handle all the waves. I am just saying you should take more chances.

On one i didn't even had any health replenisher but on another i had item that that gave black hearts on enemies dying (The Maw of The Void i think) so i had an idea to consciously not to kill first phase of Greed so that he can spawn more enemies so i could turn them into hearts. As evident -- i still wasted them all and ended up with half a heart.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Greed(-ier) mode takes several times more than regular 20-30 minutes Greed mode run.

Restarting is an even bigger waste of time.

Do you press the button in Greed room? Because if you don't -- as is required if you want to get maximum coins -- killing all incoming waves in one go is harder than any boss, Greed and Delirium included. If you're unlucky with waves the very first floor can be much more dangerous than any boss or any two bosses and not just because you have low, standard HP and stats.

The hardest challenges in Greedier are getting through waves in Womb and Sheol because they often spawn brimstone enemies and eyes that kill you from afar.

Why would you subject yourself to MORE hours of grinding in a mode you hate? Instead of just trying? Just compare hours you save and hours you waste.

Don't be afraid to die miserably in Binding of Isaac. It's a videogame! Go for it.

Resetting after spending half an hour in a run because "stats are not good" makes even less sense because you are trading higher chance to win for lower chance to win simply because you are too afraid of playing the game.

My last 2 Greedier wins ended with half red heart -- one hit from death and they were such a harrowing and fun experiences, i posted them on twitter:

I am not even trying to show off because between these two runs i had one or two where i died as Maggy on like second floor because i couldn't handle all the waves. I am just saying you should take more chances.

On one i didn't even had any health replenisher but on another i had item that that gave black hearts on enemies dying (The Maw of The Void i think) so i had an idea to consciously not to kill first phase of Greed so that he can spawn more enemies so i could turn them into hearts. As evident -- i still wasted them all and ended up with half a heart.

Your post comes off completely condescending.

I've played over 1000 hours on ps4 + PC. I've down more than a few totally complete save files. I don't need a "How to play this game" and don't tell me about not being afraid to die. Of course I know that.

I know how the game is played. The hardest floor in greed (aside from the final floor) is the first or second wave as your stats aren't built up yet. Shoel is pretty easy in comparison.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I know how the game is played. The hardest floor in greed (aside from the final floor) is the first or second wave as your stats aren't built up yet. Shoel is pretty easy in comparison.
Then you already know how to move to dodge all Greed's attacks. Greedier is trickier, but also dodgeable.

I personally find floor waves themselves much bigger challenge than final boss, like several magnitudes harder simply for sheer numbers of enemies and distances you have to cover. Especially when you regularly can have combinations like 4 Sisters Wis + Big Horn + Little Horn as floor boss.

Your post comes off completely condescending.
I just wanted to make the game more fun for you.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to unlock Technology Zero? Having a hard time finding two tech items in one run. Should I play Greed mode to do it? Regular mode as Isaac for the D6? Buy Chaos in the shop? Find a D4 and re-roll until it unlocks (not even sure if that works)?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Wow, finally managed to beat Mega Satan with... the keeper.
Still have to beat Delirium and Greedier with him... and greedier with most characters except for Lilith and Forgotten.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've been cranking out Greedier Mode completions the past few days. The Lost, Eden, Isaac, Maggy and now Cain just finished. Can't wait to be done with this mode :D

Nov 4, 2017
I've now finished greedier with Azazel, Judas and Samson as well.

Really depends on the quality of the run, right? Like in all three cases it took more time to defeat the first version of Ultra Greed.

Nov 4, 2017
Isaac and Eden done as well.

Well, looks like the hardest part is actually making all the way to Ultra Greed. Then it's a breeze.

Noticed something. Did an Apollyon run recently, already had a full post-it note. When I beat blue baby, I unlocked two achievements.

So, looks like my post-it notes are buggy. How can I know what I need to re-do?

Nov 4, 2017
There was at least one related to his progress. Unlocked Locust of famine (which somehow was already available ingame).

Oh well.

Now I think I'll try and get all completion marks in the coming month if I find time :)

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the Beans! challenge. Chanced upon Little Stephen as my first boss room treasure, bought Buddy in a Box on the second floor, found Seraphim and Isaac's Head later on... so it was very easy, I may as well not have been blindfolded. Barely dented my bomb stash.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So are we interested in the new Isaac game being revealed later this week?

Ed on Facebook said:
The secret Isaac game is 2-4+ (still testing 5-6) players and is called The Binding of Isaac: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s ... any guesses ? ( either way the big reveal is Wednesday morning! )

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Pledged 35 dollars to the kickstarter

It got funded in 90 minutes lol

I've wanted a Binding of Isaac board game for awhile. I always thought the mechanics would translate well to a game, and it seems like that's the case.

The game should probably have some kind of thread, I think?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth picking this up on Switch, or is there significantly more content on Steam to make that version more worth it? I love the idea of the game being portable, but I don't love the idea of missing out on a bunch of content.

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is it worth picking this up on Switch, or is there significantly more content on Steam to make that version more worth it? I love the idea of the game being portable, but I don't love the idea of missing out on a bunch of content.
There's significantly more content on the Steam version, but that content is coming to the Switch version... eventually. Although it's been several months now without any word on release.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game recently on the Switch and managed to beat Mom today! Hooray. I'm pretty sure it was because I got lucky with the powers and got a real good one.

Is there any tips/guide on what to look for to make runs easier?

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So today I backed the Isaac card game kickstarter (my first kickstarter EVER) AND beat Delirium for the first time (as ???).

What a Binding of Isaac filled day :)

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game recently on the Switch and managed to beat Mom today! Hooray. I'm pretty sure it was because I got lucky with the powers and got a real good one.

Is there any tips/guide on what to look for to make runs easier?
I would heavily prioritize unlocking Azazel. I find Azazel to be a great character for newcomers as his starting flight ability allows for an easier time dodging enemies... therefore spending less time dying and more time learning enemy patterns.

OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Some minor BoI news: Edmund announced in an AMA on reddit recently that the Switch version of the last two boosters will take an addition 4ish months. Also Nicalis is hiring to try and make an Xbox port. And the mobile version bombed and they will no longer be supporting it

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
FYI, this has 48 hours left, has a ton of KS-exclusive content, and is about to pass 2 million dollars in funding...it's been a neat campaign! And the card art is fantastic:

12ec2eba19f0f078107364b09db5f695_original.png

5446077b1909d94dd7c8d1989f2184b4_original.png

do recommend, check it out here

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I've sunk too much time in both Isaac and Rebirth, I couldn't help myself from getting the bundle with the expansion and the game mat. Kind of regretting the mat right now since it's basically $20 extra for that, but hopefully it'll be cool when it comes in.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've sunk too much time in both Isaac and Rebirth, I couldn't help myself from getting the bundle with the expansion and the game mat. Kind of regretting the mat right now since it's basically $20 extra for that, but hopefully it'll be cool when it comes in.
I'm the opposite. I kickstarted the 35 tier and kind of regret it because I wanted to splurge on the last day to get the mat.

By the time I got to a computer, it was over ;;

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
If the shipping costs weren't $40 (and god knows what customs fees on top of it) I'd have gone all in for the tier with the figures because I neeeeeeed those, but alas...