The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
When was the last time that y'all had to shrink yourselves or turn down the "blackness" to make a white person feel comfortable in any sort of setting?

Because I think I'm done with doing it.

Anyway, so glad IT work doesn't call for *professional* hair styles which for black people means low fades or buzzcuts.

/Semirant
I work in a hospital around a bunch of boomers if that answers the question...good news is new job in a couple weeks.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Well I'm planning on switching jobs and applied to a few places, one company (airline, and the position is mainly for one of their offices) has a listing for Sales Executive position. I'm more of a guy who can PLAN and lay out what to do and how to go about it, than be the guy to pitch it to the client or customer :P
Oh hmm. I would stuck to your strengths. I wish I could help more.

Speaking of which I need to update my resume and apply for remote editorial work

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
After their review of The Last Jedi, I completely stopped watching their videos.
I stopped around the time they were hanging with Max Landis. It was around then that I was really getting the vibe not only from them but from many white male media people about how they were not even just moderate but actively interested in silencing marginalized people. They weren't overt, not even as bad as PewDiePie, but in their content in subtle ways it came across that they were just another group of straight white men who feared progress and would pride themselves in being "anti-PC" or "anti-SJW"

--------

Even if it was a fluke, I'm glad you put these two stories together. Idiots like Dennard will be the first to pay the price in the world that that manifesto describes. I have no respect for people from disenfranchised groups who cape for the promotion of white supremacy.

brainchild

GameXplain
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Minnesota
I find it interesting that folks on this forum are having such a problem adopting the use of the word "y'all" as a gender-neutral form of address. Apparently it's too informal and slang (despite the term being grammatical sound and sensible).

Now where have I heard those criticisms before....

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Like fucking clockwork.
This is really just a human being who doesn't deserve to have any political sway or influence of any kind. People like this should just be relegated to gathering up trash or sweeping up animal shit at the zoo instead of producing legislation and guiding citizens. They unequivocally cannot govern people in a fair manner with beliefs this gross.
----
In a much much lighter topic, anyone in Culture enjoy tabletop RPGs?

I had a small stint as a teen when I played semi-regularly for months and fell off due to schooling with my only link being through actual play podcasts like Friends At The Table. But now that I'm out of the schooling part of my life, the bug of TTRPGs has hit me again. And it's actually a great Looking for online groups using sites like RPG Table Finder but I'd love to join other BCCers in some online play too through Discord and Roll20.

It's actually surprising how much of a resurgence general tabletop play has become let alone RPGs and there's so much creative writing and storytelling and game mechanics being produced nearly every week. I really want to get into some of that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I find it interesting that folks on this forum are having such a problem adopting the use of the word "y'all" as a gender-neutral form of address. Apparently it's too informal and slang (despite the term being grammatical sound and sensible).

Now where have I heard those criticisms before....
I use y'all from time to time. Mind you I associate the word Texan accent :P

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
This is really just a human being who doesn't deserve to have any political sway or influence of any kind. People like this should just be relegated to gathering up trash or sweeping up animal shit at the zoo instead of producing legislation and guiding citizens. They unequivocally cannot govern people in a fair manner with beliefs this gross.
----
In a much much lighter topic, anyone in Culture enjoy tabletop RPGs?

I had a small stint as a teen when I played semi-regularly for months and fell off due to schooling with my only link being through actual play podcasts like Friends At The Table. But now that I'm out of the schooling part of my life, the bug of TTRPGs has hit me again. And it's actually a great Looking for online groups using sites like RPG Table Finder but I'd love to join other BCCers in some online play too through Discord and Roll20.

It's actually surprising how much of a resurgence general tabletop play has become let alone RPGs and there's so much creative writing and storytelling and game mechanics being produced nearly every week. I really want to get into some of that.
Based on what people said, he just walked into an empty office and sat down. Guy's a piece of shit

Always wanted to get into tabletop but either didn't have the money (heroclicks was big at the time) or didn't have anyone to play against. Now that online tabletop is a thing I might be able to do it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck. Finally getting around to Surviving R. Kelly. Three episodes in and I'm shedding tears for the first time since watching Coco. So many people had to not just ignore but actively contribute to satisfying the sickness of a monster like Kelly. These girls. Their families. Christ I wish I could go back in time and save them all. Black and brown girls and women truly have to deal with some of the worst aspects of US culture. They deserve so much better. They are precious and strong and need to be supported, listened to, protected and fought for tooth and nail.

Based on what people said, he just walked into an empty office and sat down. Guy's a piece of shit

Always wanted to get into tabletop but either didn't have the money (heroclicks was big at the time) or didn't have anyone to play against. Now that online tabletop is a thing I might be able to do it.
LOL it really is how that shit works. Even here in the states it's only now becoming clear to society at large how many horrid people get into positions of political power simply because no one chose to challenge their rise. No one with actual empathy and sense willingly went for the chair and scumbags like that guy exploit that apathy. From the lowest to the highest rung of politics, people all over need to start acknowledging how valuable even the most minuscule government positions are to the greater political and social landscape. This past midterm and post-Trump it's been inspiring to see that start to change a little. I can't even count how many stories I've heard from political podcasts and the like about people who previously had no interest or overwhelming experience in politics simply deciding to take the chance to take seats or challenge seats that would have been uncontested by republicans. I'm hoping the trend of progressives being unafraid to take even, for lack of a better word, the least "sexy" government positions. Even I'm considering such a future.
---
I loved HeroClix too and had zero money for them (well maybe I would have if I halved my spending on video games as a kid lol).
I still remember surfing toy magazines and sights back in late middle school early high school and making wish list of miniatures I really wanted. Nowadays I've got disposable income and pretty much every game, miniatures and otherwise can be downloaded in PDFs that barely take up space in even 5GB flash drives along with being fully playable through chat and apps like Roll20. Haven't logged onto the BCC Discord (we have one right?) but I wouldn't mind setting up a room or even a separate server for gathering groups among ourselves to do play-by-post, playing through apps, or even meeting up IRL for some local TTRPG campaigns.
---
Hah this just landed on Netflix. Its contemporary answer to stuff like Batman Gotham Knight and the Animatrix lol:

People in the thread on it seem to be positive so far. Will sit down for it this weekend.

Last edited:

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Disney sneaking James Gunn back in while the news cycle is distracted with bad, worse, and awful.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to throw some money down for DMC5 and Sekiro this month.
---
Ugh. Now I'm on episode 4 of Surviving and I want to throttle that decrepit old juror who acquitted R. Kelly because of how his underage victims "dressed". Exact same bullshit was said by a juror that was interviewed in the Lorena docu series. So many straight white men are fucking over women of color simply because they dress in ways they don't like. Nothing about the evidence but what the victims of abuse and sexual assault wear in court or on their own time. Like fuck those guys, man.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
DMC 5 is my first DMC playthrough. Definitely gonna drop money on Sekiro and Spiderverse next week

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's no different from Charlottesville. He is a white supremacist and he courts and benefits from white supremacists. Of course he's going to deny the reality of 40+ people dying at the hand of one of his worshipers while acting like the true threat is the World War Z like tidal wave of brown people coming from Mexico.