• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 6 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes, 30 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It should go without saying that the new star wars' game main character is boring and generic as fuck, and the game needs to have a character creator.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The digital awakening ain't shit. How they gonna try and sell me little shop of horrors for $15? I could have bought that at Walmart for $5 or less.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
It should go without saying that the new star wars' game main character is boring and generic as fuck, and the game needs to have a character creator.
Agreed. Or they could've been like oh yeah our last game started a woman of color let's do that again.

Or aliens.

I would link to that laughable thread that said having that white guy protag isn't bad 🙄 but I'm good without the jokes

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even think of any aside from like...hood movies
And the problem with hood movies is the families are dealing with hood shit. Someone gets shot, drugs, police, a funeral etc... With Us, even though it's a horror film, the family is doing normal family shit. Going on vacation, putting kids to bed, brother and sister arguing, dad making dad jokes. A normal Black family portrayal. Even with shows like Black-ish, the show is a comedy with a message, so the family can't be "normal" and is exaggerated in order to get messages/topics across. This isn't a complaint about Black-ish/I watch the show regularly along with Grown-ish, but Us stands out from everything else because of how normal/real the Black family portrayal is and, like you said, it is damn near impossible to think of anything else like that. Like if anyone else but Jordan Peele had done this film, you know the father would have been cheating/abusive or the son would have been skipping school...some silly ass subplot to get in the way of the genuine family moments.

This is why I go hard in the paint for Craig of The Creek
Craig does have some genuine moments with his family that I appreciate when he's not a the Creek (Craig and his dad playing video games, Craig and his sister going with their mom to the salon).

Merc_

Oct 28, 2017
How's it going y'all? Took a bit of a break from ERA after my father passed away at the end of November from cancer.

I see that the fuckery in OT hasn't changed.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I was just called a Nazi in the OT for demanding Democrats do better for PoC. It is so silly that I can't even get mad.

Oct 27, 2017
Guava Island was just okay IMO, but just seeing all those melanated faces just made me enjoy watching it. It seems we're getting a more mainstream popularity for black led media and I'm wondering what's changed that has led to this. Jordan Peele's movies have been doing EXTREMELY well and since Atlanta everything Donald Glover has touched has been too, but we've had directors creating black led media before. On the film side we've had Spike Lee and Jon Singleton and...*sigh* Tyler Perry. In television we had the Cosby Show way back and Fresh Prince in the 90s, but I still feel like (and maybe I'm wrong) those weren't quite as big as the current crop.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got around to watching Crazy Rich Asians. I see why people had a problem with Awkafina, she took her normal blaccent and turned it up to 12 at random times for no reason.

Merc_

Oct 28, 2017
Evening.

Hi. And welcome back.

I'm so sorry for you loss.

*in Ron Perlman's voice* OT.... OT never changes.
Thanks, Shy.

It’s somehow gotten worse.
Yeah, it seems any thread having to do with Ilhan Omar is especially bad with drawing out the assholery from the "progressives" here. All of us PoC are apparently expected to sit there and take shit from white liberals silently.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Shy.

Yeah, it seems any thread having to do with Ilhan Omar is especially bad with drawing out the assholery from the "progressives" here. All of us PoC are apparently expected to sit there and take shit from white liberals silently.
Man, I deal with a shitton of shitty people on the daily. To come here and have to deal with it too, where everyone thinks their shit don’t stink, but 10x worse cause of anonymity? I just laugh it off, most people on here aren’t the characters the portray.