The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017

Shy man nearly does it as good as me. I would never forget the bay leaf and I would have served with cheese grits 😂
But seriously, all the dishes. Getting inspired to weird shit, well to me weird, and just cook.

Mornin' those that insist on the flavor being baked in.
One day I'll share how I properly do a steak... Or how Grandma was laughing at me until she and mom stopped and just ate. Yeah, teach people how to shut their moms up would make me a fortune. 😂

Shy

Oct 25, 2017

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
Hey guys, possibly inappropriate question, but... something I've been thinking about with this Jontron nonsense and some of the reactions to it:

Full disclosure, I'm a white Jew. But sometimes I can't help but feel uncomfortable around some white people with conservative/right wing beliefs, knowing that they very well might hold antisemitic beliefs/apologia. Or having a friend who is like "oh yeah my dad's great but he's also kinda racist." Or being friends with someone who is friends with a racist. You get the idea. (I would ask this question to the Jewish community thread but it doesn't exist...!)

How do you guys deal with that feeling? The innate idea that you possibly cannot ever fully trust white people because either they might say something racist or excuse someone who does? Obviously it's not 1:1 with the Black/Jewish experience... but I guess it got me thinking about how to navigate a society where white people by and large feel racism is at worst, impolite, but not dangerous or threatening. I try to find community where I can, but to put it simply, there aren't a ton of Jews around these days...

Cheers for any of the responses and hope you're having a good day.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Lovelies. Druidstone is kinda fun. So far.

Well Mekanos If ten of us answer you'll get very different responses but for me?
I don't. I trust them that came up with me and been trough the gauntlet with me. New people? Experience say shit will go south so now I just don't bother.
When It happens it happens and I go my own way. The feelings in between all this. I can't do anything about it so I just make sure to recharge and bother with me, my loved ones and what I can affect.
I'm kinda realizing myself that I'm getting to the state of no fucks given and just think about those already in my life. I think I'm ok with that. As long as I don't forget those in a weaker position than me. I hope I don't.

It's shit like this that puts me in a peculiar place.

Lisa! Damn, she looking fine.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, possibly inappropriate question, but... something I've been thinking about with this Jontron nonsense and some of the reactions to it:

Full disclosure, I'm a white Jew. But sometimes I can't help but feel uncomfortable around some white people with conservative/right wing beliefs, knowing that they very well might hold antisemitic beliefs/apologia. Or having a friend who is like "oh yeah my dad's great but he's also kinda racist." Or being friends with someone who is friends with a racist. You get the idea. (I would ask this question to the Jewish community thread but it doesn't exist...!)

How do you guys deal with that feeling? The innate idea that you possibly cannot ever fully trust white people because either they might say something racist or excuse someone who does? Obviously it's not 1:1 with the Black/Jewish experience... but I guess it got me thinking about how to navigate a society where white people by and large feel racism is at worst, impolite, but not dangerous or threatening. I try to find community where I can, but to put it simply, there aren't a ton of Jews around these days...

Cheers for any of the responses and hope you're having a good day.
There's different "comfort" levels with the examples you gave IMO. Someone who personally has discriminatory views/I feel may hold discriminatory views, I wouldn't associate with at all. I have to trust the people that I associate with and I'm not going to be around/associate with people that make me feel uncomfortable. In regards to a friend who has family that discriminates, if I'm not personally interacting with the friend's family, the only problem I would have is if my friend doesn't challenge/fight against their family's views if they spend lots of time together/they see these family members beyond reunions/holidays. You can't control your family's views and every community has to deal with family with discriminatory views (Women and LGBTQ included). Friends who have friends with discriminatory views, this is different from family since you are in control of your friends, so it would depend on how terrible the friend's friend is and why the friend is still friends with this person. For example, did they grow up together and the friend's friend "change" in college or is this a new friend the friend made at a bar a few weeks ago, etc...

Oct 27, 2017
Its been too long since I been in here. I actually came to rant but after writing it out I'm just gonna wish y'all some good vibes instead.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch When They See Us Yet. I'm glad to see Netflix giving peeps like Ava DuVernay a place to show their stuff. Funnily enough I was the one spreading word about it in my workplace. One lady said she watched half of the first ep and had to turn it off because it was getting her heated... I'm interested in what ya think.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Its been too long since I been in here. I actually came to rant but after writing it out I'm just gonna wish y'all some good vibes instead.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch When They See Us Yet. I'm glad to see Netflix giving peeps like Ava DuVernay a place to show their stuff. Funnily enough I was the one spreading word about it in my workplace. One lady said she watched half of the first ep and had to turn it off because it was getting her heated... I'm interested in what ya think.
It is some if the hardest most difficult most painful Black experience film you'll watch. To put it in perspective, I saw a tweet were Ava had to have a grieve counselor on set for the actors & actresses.

I cried 6 times across the 4 hrs of the entire thing. Black trauma made my Black directors ain't for us. It's for the white majority to understand the injustices they've allowed to permeate.

We are all aware of our injustices

Oct 27, 2017
It is some if the hardest most difficult most painful Black experience film you'll watch. To put it in perspective, I saw a tweet were Ava had to have a grieve counselor on set for the actors & actresses.

I cried 6 times across the 4 hrs of the entire thing. Black trauma made my Black directors ain't for us. It's for the white majority to understand the injustices they've allowed to permeate.

We are all aware of our injustices
fair enough.

But seeing the injustice done justice has to be worth something... I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance, thanks.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
fair enough.

But seeing the injustice done justice has to be worth something... I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance, thanks.
Well...yes there is

Seeing that injustice is going to leave you angry & sad. Unless you're already working on improving the criminal justice system & or regularly advocate against racial injustices...you'll definitely be reminded to do so & hold the majority responsible until well forever as we should.

That much is true. Also I highly recommend take breaks after each episode

Royalan

Yeah I'm in my bag, but I'm in his too.
Oct 24, 2017
^

Ummm. Hello.

I popped out of lurking like one of my exes on my insta to say you DID NOT HAVE TO DO THAT TO ME.

Posting that MESS.

I JUST ate.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Ehh. Breathing.

Yourself ?
Bruh, that's the bare minimum. Hope you don't keep to yourself to much. Mrs Manky posted that self care Pic and it reminded me that we suck at it. Don't ignore yourself bruh.
But me? Only thing nagging me now is that I forgot to buy Pineapple. Making upside down cake with a coconut base instead of the regular. Wanna experiment before the weekend. Family and friends invading mines this Friday.

Hey folks I made a thread

You might like it?

Btw, Lenora that the Mammy character people was up in flames about or that someone else? Anyway that sucks. So many games, in color, and all we black & brown people have to look at is barely a handful. Well some is better than none.

Last edited:

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, Lenora that the Mammy character people was up in flames about or that someone else? Anyway that sucks. So many games, in color, and all we black & brown people have to look at is barely a handful. We'll some is better than none.
Got to wait for the eventual Pokemon version based on South Africa in 2026, following the versions based in Antarctica. 1/5th of the characters will be Black or Brown, but no more than that.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, South Africa pokemon gonna be filled to 7/8ts of Charlize Theron looking people, 1/16th of Maybes and the rest brown and black.

I'm kinda itching to buy that coming Switch thing tho. Ignored the last ones since the blue thing in 3DS. Think I managed to play until the water themed gym and just felt bored.