The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Nov 17, 2017
Btw, Lenora that the Mammy character people was up in flames about or that someone else? Anyway that sucks. So many games, in color, and all we black & brown people have to look at is barely a handful. Well some is better than none.
Yeah Lenora's original designs is... well:

First one is the original art. The second one I believe is the localization edit. I can't help but laugh at the edit, they couldn't just remove the apron, she's still hanging on to it. No reason for her to have the apron except for that mammy stereotype because it makes no sense for her character to have one otherwise. She's an archaeologist who owns a museum/library/pokemon gym so like it's too obvious why the apron is there. She's actually one of my favorite gym leaders and I think her design without the apron is really good so it's annoying to me it was/is there in the first place.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

First one is the original art. The second one I believe is the localization edit. I can't help but laugh at the edit, they couldn't just remove the apron, she's still hanging on to it. No reason for her to have the apron except for that mammy stereotype because it makes no sense for her character to have one otherwise. She's an archaeologist who owns a museum/library/pokemon gym so like it's too obvious why the apron is there. She's actually one of my favorite gym leaders and I think her design without the apron is really good so it's annoying to me it was/is there in the first place.
"Japan doesn't doesn't understand race & things like the West"

But they sure as hell have/had(?) no problem with racial stereotypes

Nov 17, 2017

A mystery for sure.

I always laugh when people use that excuse to absolve the developers of any responsibility or awareness with Japanese products that are often sold worldwide and localized for Western audiences, like Pokemon.

It's the same excuse people use when you ask for more options of black custom characters (or just black characters in general) in games and you get "There aren't black people in Japan." Yeah, they definitely don't know we exist until they want to make some caricature.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly

Oh boy. I never noticed... Definitely mammyism

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
A mystery for sure.

I always laugh when people use that excuse to absolve the developers of any responsibility or awareness with Japanese products that are often sold worldwide and localized for Western audiences, like Pokemon.

It's the same excuse people use when you ask for more options of black custom characters (or just black characters in general) in games and you get "There aren't black people in Japan." Yeah, they definitely don't know we exist until they want to make some caricature.
Right? & pokemon is huge/International.

Like is it a coincidence that both the rival & champion in sword & shield are south east Asian or possibly Indian inspired? When we are now in Great Britain those identities make sense.

So again the conversation has me raise an eyebrow.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
And we begin to rock steady
Steady rocking all night long
And we begin to rock steady
Rocking till the break of dawn

A time when the fros was between obscene and filthy. Always beautiful and sometimes filled with jerry curl juice.

Yes she was. They had to redesign her & remove that damn apron on her. This was fueled by Western feedback
Good.

Didn't even notice that the Apron was her "cape" now. But yeah, the Mammy shit is glaring.

Mm, they are very good at taking in and assimilating other peoples cultures. The good and the bad so that shit can go fuck itself.
It's just a defense for every damn thing -.-