• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Shy

Oct 25, 2017

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
HI! I'm new here! I'm Nigerian American but did grow up in a mostly black neighborhood and school. I'm kinda into a lot of stuff like animation and art so If anyone is into that hit me up.

I'm currently in college majoring in biology both the school's been closed for a while due to hurricane Dorian....God that sucks. So how are you guys doing?
Welcome!

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
So I forgot how damn beautiful Vanity was, RIP.
But damn, Action Jackson was so damn good in my memory but seeing it again now I really see how that Basic Instict actress really just got put in the movie to show her breast, Vanity got a bit of a better treatment, Al Leong was so damn underutilized, Bill Duke is always a treat. Could have gotten more lines and the main bad guy, dude from Poltergeist is a hoot. That fight scene really comes off as stick figurish with him.
Carl Weathers still hilarious, always buff.

Looking forward to seeing Carl in the Mandelorian.

Btw they sending 8k Stream of Italy... I need to buy an 8k TV. Numb need that kidney or half a liver now.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
So I forgot how damn beautiful Vanity was, RIP.
But damn, Action Jackson was so damn good in my memory but seeing it again now I really see how that Basic Instict actress really just got put in the movie to show her breast, Vanity got a bit of a better treatment, Al Leong was so damn underutilized, Bill Duke is always a treat. Could have gotten more lines and the main bad guy, dude from Poltergeist is a hoot. That fight scene really comes off as stick figurish with him.
Carl Weathers still hilarious, always buff.

Looking forward to seeing Carl in the Mandelorian.

Btw they sending 8k Stream of Italy... I need to buy an 8k TV. Numb need that kidney or half a liver now.
Hayden Fox from Coach can play a great villain

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Does indeed. A bit to much 👀
Speaking of, I really need to save up the money for Indivisible's release next month.

Yeah!

Also um Carole & Tuesday is god damn fire

Fuck I need to get on this series now that it's out. I've only seen the first episode so far and need to get back to it.
---

Relatedly I'm reading through Hunter x Hunter for what's probably my third or fourth time give or take. It's genuinely among my Top 5 manga having dethroned One Piece years ago when I first went through the series and probably among my Top 10 or 20 fictional franchises in general of all time.

One of the things I love most about it is the design & writing of some of its black & brown characters:

^Canary

^Abengane

Despite both having limited showings throughout the work, their ties to the major characters in the series keeps them from being one offs. Canary had the chance to be a one off considering
her being punished by Kikyo Zoldyck for speaking out of turn. A lesser writer would have made Canary be fatally shot in an attempt to amplify stakes but thankfully Togashi 100% holds back on that. A choice which narratively fits since the Zoldyck family wouldn't be so flippant with killing butlers just to go through the grind of finding equally skilled and loyal staff simply because one of them speaks their mind on one occasion.

Both as well have realistic and representative displays of skin color, physical features, and awesomely, natural hair that has led to some great cosplay from back fans who actually get the chance to employ their own natural hair for the character:

Source

Source

v There are also characters like Squala, who sadly does end up out of the series v
https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/ailyvt/my_canary_cosplay/

v And Mizaistom, who is a major character in the current and previous manga arcs v

I don't blame anyone who says Mizai is a stretch in this regard but personally his design and voice in the anime gave me personally the impression of Mizai being a light skinned PoC character.

Relatedly the designs and characters of Toshagi's women is broad as well and includes a variety of body types, personalities and I might make and EtcetEra thread about that at some point lol But I'm satisfied just focusing on this element of the series for this post. I love this damn series so much.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Speaking of, I really need to save up the money for Indivisible's release next month.

Fuck I need to get on this series now that it's out. I've only seen the first episode so far and need to get back to it.
---

Relatedly I'm reading through Hunter x Hunter for what's probably my third or fourth time give or take. It's genuinely among my Top 5 manga having dethroned One Piece years ago when I first went through the series and probably among my Top 10 or 20 fictional franchises in general of all time.

One of the things I love most about it is the design & writing of some of its black & brown characters:

^Canary

^Abengane

Despite both having limited showings throughout the work, their ties to the major characters in the series keeps them from being one offs. Canary had the chance to be a one off considering
her being punished by Kikyo Zoldyck for speaking out of turn. A lesser writer would have made Canary be fatally shot in an attempt to amplify stakes but thankfully Togashi 100% holds back on that. A choice which narratively fits since the Zoldyck family wouldn't be so flippant with killing butlers just to go through the grind of finding equally skilled and loyal staff simply because one of them speaks their mind on one occasion.

Both as well have realistic and representative displays of skin color, physical features, and awesomely, natural hair that has led to some great cosplay from back fans who actually get the chance to employ their own natural hair for the character:

Source

Source

v There are also characters like Squala, who sadly does end up out of the series v

v And Mizaistom, who is a major character in the current and previous manga arcs v

I don't blame anyone who says Mizai is a stretch in this regard but personally his design and voice in the anime gave me personally the impression of Mizai being a light skinned PoC character.

Relatedly the designs and characters of Toshagi's women is broad as well and includes a variety of body types, personalities and I might make and EtcetEra thread about that at some point lol But I'm satisfied just focusing on this element of the series for this post. I love this damn series so much.

Nils from Gundam Build deserves a mention.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Hunter X Hunter would easily be my greatest Shounen of all time along side Full Metal Alchemist if it wasn't for those damn hiatuses. Example, I was one of the unlucky people to have read through the Chimera Ant arc as it was coming out, which took over 8 years to release all the chapters. At that point I just wanted the damn arc done/there was no enjoyment to be had until years later when I went back and reread it/watched the second anime adaption. And don't get me started on the "chicken scratch" chapters. Because of that I can't put it over a series like One Piece where the author has been more consistent for decades (especially when One Piece started a year before Hunter X Hunter/so many other mangas have came and finished their stories in the same time period).

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

---

^Canary

^Abengane

Source

Source

Those designs are amazing.

The features are actually there.

Like they did not draw an anime character and just color them brown.

Blessed.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Nils from Gundam Build deserves a mention.

Love that hairstyle. I haven't actually paid much attention to Gundam in a while let alone Build so I might jump on board.

Hunter X Hunter would easily be my greatest Shounen of all time along side Full Metal Alchemist if it wasn't for those damn hiatuses. Example, I was one of the unlucky people to have read through the Chimera Ant arc as it was coming out, which took over 8 years to release all the chapters. At that point I just wanted the damn arc done/there was no enjoyment to be had until years later when I went back and reread it/watched the second anime adaption. And don't get me started on the "chicken scratch" chapters. Because of that I can't put it over a series like One Piece where the author has been more consistent for decades (especially when One Piece started a year before Hunter X Hunter/so many other mangas have came and finished their stories in the same time period).
Very understandable. I actually remember catching a chapter or two of the Chimera Ant arc while it was running myself. I bounced off hard because I literally didn't know what I was reading with how warped the art was. It's a testatment to the writing that WSJ didn't cancel the book on principle lol. Like you, it wasn't until around the announcement of the 2011 adaptation when that arc was done that I actually gave HxH a genuine chance.

Those designs are amazing.

The features are actually there.

Like they did not draw an anime character and just color them brown.

Blessed.
Yep. Some might probably call it being really generous to give HxH credit but Toshagi's effort is an A+ in where so much anime including otherwise great series get D's and F's for how they draw and depict black/brown people, IMO.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yep. Some might probably call it being really generous to give HxH credit but Toshagi's effort is an A+ in where so much anime including otherwise great series get D's and F's for how they draw and depict black/brown people, IMO.
It's really great to see and something I could honestly say I never thought I'd see due to my predesposed beliefs about Japanese artist and anime as a whole. I hope to see more of it moving forward. What's funny is that after I commented on your post I saw this character Skip from Carole & Tuesday and immediately thought of your post.

What a time to live.