The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Man Havard Business Review out here not knowing a damn thing.

They published this. Written by a white man that doesn't understand this has nothing to do with the MeToo movement.

But hey that's OK because they got lit the hell up on social media.

Pandora012

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that i just learned that the black lady sketch show was a thing. So far my favorite episodes are, On My Own and Rome and Julissa. Hertep Home coming was also great. Can't think of one i didn't like.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Gundam Build is Beyblade with Gundam and Mobile Suit figures.
Trying to remember now but is this another season of the toy Gundam show with the kid with the blue hair and the hot mom and the Mr. Referee type character? Because I watched the first 5 or so episodes of that one like right when it premiered and didn't know if it was still going or if there's a brand new toy Gundamn show in it's place now similar to Yugioh vs Yugioh 5Ds.

I hate that i just learned that the black lady sketch show was a thing. So far my favorite episodes are, On My Own and Rome and Julissa. Hertep Home coming was also great. Can't think of one i didn't like.
I need to get on it myself because K-Fury and Crissle on have brought it up on The Read pretty much every episode since the show first dropped. Their love sadly hasn't moved me to action, particularly since I don't have HBO Go either. Might end up showing my support by just buying the season boxsets once they start selling.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Trying to remember now but is this another season of the toy Gundam show with the kid with the blue hair and the hot mom and the Mr. Referee type character? Because I watched the first 5 or so episodes of that one like right when it premiered and didn't know if it was still going or if there's a brand new toy Gundamn show in it's place now similar to Yugioh vs Yugioh 5Ds.
The woman with the tight mom jeans 🤣

Pandora012

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I need to get on it myself because K-Fury and Crissle on have brought it up on The Read pretty much every episode since the show first dropped. Their love sadly hasn't moved me to action, particularly since I don't have HBO Go either. Might end up showing my support by just buying the season boxsets once they start selling.
They've uploaded skits to YouTube, so you can get a feel for it.

Dreams-Visions

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man Havard Business Review out here not knowing a damn thing.

They published this. Written by a white man that doesn't understand this has nothing to do with the MeToo movement.

But hey that's OK because they got lit the hell up on social media.

Yea pretty much. It's really not hard to interact with someone without flirting, making them feel uncomfortable, or outright harassing. I managed to be President of an organization in college with about 80 women in it (and 20 men) and somehow managed to not make any unwanted or uncomfortable advances on any of my members, not fondle anyone, not squeeze anything. Imagine being shook by a one-on-one.

Like, it's really not hard.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm brown/dark skin but I think y'all could relate to this:
Joining a 4 character duty in FF14 and you are the only non-white person among the group :V

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
I'm brown/dark skin but I think y'all could relate to this:
Joining a 4 character duty in FF14 and you are the only non-white person among the group :V
Lol ran into some people on For Honor that only used the black/darker skinned character models, turned out to just be a bunch of white dudes.

Also had multiple people say that only tryhards use the darker skin options. Imagine my shock finding out that I was tryharding irl this whole time.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea pretty much. It's really not hard to interact with someone without flirting, making them feel uncomfortable, or outright harassing. I managed to be President of an organization in college with about 80 women in it (and 20 men) and somehow managed to not make any unwanted or uncomfortable advances on any of my members, not fondle anyone, not squeeze anything. Imagine being shook by a one-on-one.

Like, it's really not hard.
Woah it's like you're saying that treating fellow humans like humans with respect isn't hard.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lol ran into some people on For Honor that only used the black/darker skinned character models, turned out to just be a bunch of white dudes.

Also had multiple people say that only tryhards use the darker skin options. Imagine my shock finding out that I was tryharding irl this whole time.
I shouldve written light brown skin but in my dumbassary i wrote dark skin sorry xo
Also eff anyone who would says that to ya bud.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
*sips coffee*

Morning, family.

Answer: we need more Black & Brown folks in the development of games past 1%
I know for sure there are quite a few of us out there looking for jobs in the game developments space. Wonder why it's taking so long for them to get hired 🤔. I also wonder why there is an astonishing lack of black/brown video game directors when we've proven to be creative forces that costume this media just as much as any other groups 🤔.

We've seen in tv/movies, music, comics, and other forms of media that when we get at the helm we do eventually get more representation and things more reflective of our culture. Yet games/tech still seem like this almost impenetrable barrier. What's going on behind the scenes? 🤔.

There has to be a reason games are further behind than everyone else.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I know for sure there are quite a few of us out there looking for jobs in the game developments space. Wonder why it's taking so long for them to get hired 🤔. I also wonder why there is an astonishing lack of black/brown video game directors when we've proven to be creative forces that costume this media just as much as any other groups 🤔.

We've seen in tv/movies, music, comics, and other forms of media that when we get at the helm we do eventually get more representation and things more reflective of our culture. Yet games/tech still seem like this almost impenetrable barrier. What's going on behind the scenes? 🤔.

There has to be a reason games are further behind than everyone else.
1) Japan and their "mostly homogeneous" society being the main force/leader of the modern gaming industry. It's already hard to get Black people included in media in the countries like the US, so imagine trying to push for inclusion in a country where they force everyone at some schools have their hair the same color because "it is the norm". And Japan still sells some of the best selling games in the industry/has many of the top developers and console makers.

2) Gaming is way more accessible now than when it first started, vs other forms of media. Expensive consoles, with games mostly targeted to kids made by computer programmers dominated sales/the industry for decades, making gaming a mostly White/Japanese Boys club. Other forms of entertainment didn't have barriers like this, particularly in regards to the price just to "consume" the media. Now things are different, but because of how "late" games moved towards being accessible to mainstream audiences, this also means people who would be making games with more Black and Brown inclusions/kids who are inspired to make Black and Brown games are "behind" the other industries. You don't have a game developer Tyler Perry being influenced by game developer Oprah to make a Tyler Perry Gaming Studio because game developer Oprah doesn't exist yet.

3) Comics, Music, Movies, and TV are much easier to make now than a video game. If you're a Black creative and want to make a movie or a TV show, you just need a phone. With a video game you either have to learn how to program or have to hire programmers, and not many people want to/have the patience to do that/it's much easier to just sing a song and put it on Soundcloud. So this limits the people who are making games further than the other industries.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
1) Japan and their "mostly homogeneous" society being the main force/leader of the modern gaming industry. It's already hard to get Black people included in media in the countries like the US, so imagine trying to push for inclusion in a country where they force everyone at some schools have their hair the same color because "it is the norm". And Japan still sells some of the best selling games in the industry/has many of the top developers and console makers.

2) Gaming is way more accessible now than when it first started, vs other forms of media. Expensive consoles, with games mostly targeted to kids made by computer programmers dominated sales/the industry for decades, making gaming a mostly White/Japanese Boys club. Other forms of entertainment didn't have barriers like this, particularly in regards to the price just to "consume" the media. Now things are different, but because of how "late" games moved towards being accessible to mainstream audiences, this also means people who would be making games with more Black and Brown inclusions/kids who are inspired to make Black and Brown games are "behind" the other industries. You don't have a game developer Tyler Perry being influenced by game developer Oprah to make a Tyler Perry Gaming Studio because game developer Oprah doesn't exist yet.

3) Comics, Music, Movies, and TV are much easier to make now than a video game. If you're a Black creative and want to make a movie or a TV show, you just need a phone. With a video game you either have to learn how to program or have to hire programmers, and not many people want to/have the patience to do that/it's much easier to just sing a song and put it on Soundcloud. So this limits the people who are making games further than the other industries.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here and my overall point that I was very obviously alluding to was that it is indeed a White Boy/Japanese club. And I think it is largely why we haven't seen that HUGE prevailing black figure in gaming yet and what I think is delaying the process.

Japan's issues are well documented but Western game studios and why black people almost never climb to the top of them or appear as a head of development on a lot of projects is still a glaring hole. Reggie is Haitian American and didn't even come from a gaming background before he climbed to being head of Nintendo so that's an off-case (and was still mainly on the business side of things for a Japanese based company). I don't think I can subscribe entirely to the idea that "it's just harder to make a game." While that's true I think by now we should be seeing more of us in those positions. Hand-drawn animation is a hard as shit skill to pick up and personally, I found it harder to pick up than programming as someone who's tried learning both-- yet I feel we have a stronger presence even there lol.

As someone black in the tech field, I can tell you there are PLENTY of black people that know how to code but they tend to learn that skill primarily to have or create a better living for themselves instead of say... entering game development which we know isn't always what it's cracked up to be. There's a lot of things that play into it but I think there is some serious gatekeeping at play. There was that one Google Engineer that mentioned that Google only hires "black people like them." Like shit like that stands out to me and is something I think bleeds into gaming.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
How many movies haven't we heard about how they changed the color of the main characters just because they were black? Or TV series for that matter?
Gaming is way behind. They can't even allow a white woman on the cover of a game if it ain't titties galore so go figure.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can subscribe entirely to the idea that "it's just harder to make a game." While that's true I think by now we should be seeing more of us in those positions. Hand-drawn animation is a hard as shit skill to pick up and personally, I found it harder to pick up than programming as someone who's tried learning both-- yet I feel we have a stronger presence even there lol.

As someone black in the tech field, I can tell you there are PLENTY of black people that know how to code but they tend to learn that skill primarily to have or create a better living for themselves instead of say... entering game development which we know isn't always what it's cracked up to be. There's a lot of things that play into it but I think there is some serious gatekeeping at play. There was that one Google Engineer that mentioned that Google only hires "black people like them." Like shit like that stands out to me and is something I think bleeds into gaming.
I definitely know the "create a better living for myself first" feeling/working towards making your own content. Regardless of the reasons for why Gaming has been so slow to become more inclusive, I'm glad that the independent gaming scene is becoming stronger/we are seeing more and more Black game developers emerge/become stronger forces in the industry. Even if the bigger studios continue to not embrace change fast enough, there are lanes for Black game developers to get past them/succeed without them. I also hope we start seeing more Black investment towards these developers as well.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
$895 per hour to defend garbage? I mean, we all know that everyone else knows he did it. So basically all you're doing is trying to assuage the perception of the crimes. 🤔
Could you do it? I think I couldn't.

Edig: Lisa Blom, the Weinstein attorney.

Last edited:

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I definitely know the "create a better living for myself first" feeling/working towards making your own content. Regardless of the reasons for why Gaming has been so slow to become more inclusive, I'm glad that the independent gaming scene is becoming stronger/we are seeing more and more Black game developers emerge/become stronger forces in the industry. Even if the bigger studios continue to not embrace change fast enough, there are lanes for Black game developers to get past them/succeed without them. I also hope we start seeing more Black investment towards these developers as well.
Yeah for sure-- I'm hoping for the same. I started off as an Art major and pretty much went broke and decided to move towards tech and teach myself programming because that shit is popping right now. I still have two younger brothers who live and breathe games and want nothing more than to do that and I want to be able to support them someday.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Do we have to get Iceborne for these or are they free?
All the new hair & facial hair is only accessible after you purchase & install the iceborne expansion.

That being said Kreed and Spinluck appreciate ya'll comments on gaming being more diverse. Good points made.

I made a Twitter thread firing off my thoughts on the matter.

Also I'm never wearing a helmet.

Last edited:

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
😂 😂 Ingrahams face. That woman is so full it.

And yes, she did not read the article. She was expecting a stupid jock. The nigger can't have read it so let's just talk over him.
She's really the face I see when I hear dumb cracker. It ain't even funny.