The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I gotta step away from that MBJ Naruto thread. The whole "what?! Black people like anime?!" thing is one of those things that sets me off and I can see myself just sitting in that thread calling out everyone lol

Never has a statement been more true than this haha. They want it both ways.

Orisa gets me mad all the time. A character named after Yoruba deities and it's just a dumb, vaguely African-themed robot. The big reason people said Efi couldn't be playable was because she was a child and it would be wrong to shoot and kill her in the game. Like I get that but I also just kind of wish they made Efi an 18 year old genius instead so she could be playable?
I can understand that since OW seems to have all adults or robots as playable characters.

Like you said though-- they could've made her 18 or whatever age and have her backstory be about how she was child prodigy.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Oh damn! I'm glad Austin is tackling some new endeavors! Chemistry is fantastic on the Waypoint podcast so they can definitely carry it if Austin takes a break either fully or sporadically alongside Danielle. Haven't listened to some of the more recent Friends at the Table episodes but I wouldn't be surprised if some of those new projects are related to his tabletop gaming. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought he mentioned once that he had an interest in developing a TTRPG of his own.

Side Note: Anyone in the same boat as me excited for Indivisible and/or Disco Elysium releasing this month? Both are probably the two long dev cycle games I've followed most religiously in a long long while.

Last edited:

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Side Note: Anyone in the same boat as me excited for Indivisible and/or Disco Elysium releasing this month? Both are probably the two long dev cycle games I've followed religiously in a long long while.
Indivisibles backer demo has me already thinking its my GOTY as for Disco Elysium. Not sure yet, think Skittles had something about it. Forgot to ask on discord so asking here. What's the stank?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Indivisibles backer demo has me already thinking its my GOTY as for Disco Elysium. Not sure yet, think Skittles had something about it. Forgot to ask on discord so asking here. What's the stank?
This tidbit from an interview gives me pause on how race issues will be handled
One situation requires you to break into a harbour, but the gates are guarded by a towering figure who has been terrifying the local striking dock workers.

“When you finally go talk to him you understand why they’re afraid to go past him – not only is he giant, he’s very black, and has very weird theories about race,” Kurvitz explains. “He’s basically what we call a Semanese supremacist. He wouldn’t call himself a racist, he would call himself a race theorist. And if you internalise his philosophy he may let you in.”

Oct 27, 2017
Mornin'

I'm here for it.

-----------

JUST my personal thoughts about this. I know that as black people we don’t have to always elevate others but I remember when Austin first announced waypoint I thought maybe we may finally get some black people on the games journalism scene since nobody else is seemingly hiring us, but nope. Just recycled the same old people. Idk I’m not faulting him cause that would be wrong. Probably my own expectations

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh damn! I'm glad Austin is tackling some new endeavors! Chemistry is fantastic on the Waypoint podcast so they can definitely carry it if Austin takes a break either fully or sporadically alongside Danielle. Haven't listened to some of the more recent Friends at the Table episodes but I wouldn't be surprised if some of those new projects are related to his tabletop gaming. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought he mentioned once that he had an interest in developing a TTRPG of his own.

Side Note: Anyone in the same boat as me excited for Indivisible and/or Disco Elysium releasing this month? Both are probably the two long dev cycle games I've followed most religiously in a long long while.
Only interested in the 1 game that remembers that the real world isn't filled with white and light skin heroes only. So Indivisible only because again what RPG has allowed us to have the option to have a squad Black/Brown characters?

JUST my personal thoughts about this. I know that as black people we don’t have to always elevate others but I remember when Austin first announced waypoint I thought maybe we may finally get some black people on the games journalism scene since nobody else is seemingly hiring us, but nope. Just recycled the same old people. Idk I’m not faulting him cause that would be wrong. Probably my own expectations
Yeah I agree, I don't want to take from his achievements and the work that do. But I too was very...well correction I remain very disappointed how games journalism hardly has any Black folks people in it.

Did I project my expectations upon him to hope it would have more Black folks? Absolutely. Because it seems like everyone is cool with having 1 or 2 if were lucky. And they might not even be full staffers. This is why in the back of my mind I ultimately doubt I'll ever get hired. Because I don't shy away from that & speak about repeatedly.

Good luck to him certainly but jesus expletive christ, can I go to a website and see some real diversity?

*shouting into the void*

This recent thread I came across explains why spaces remind so white :

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Only interested in the 1 game that remembers that the real world isn't filled with white and light skin heroes only. So Indivisible only because again what RPG has allowed us to have the option to have a squad Black/Brown characters?
Totally understandable. Despite following, so far the protaganist's Japanese partner is the only major PoC revealed in Disco so far from what I've personally seen. That quote from Skittles makes me hesitant too now. I can only hope that they don't pull the Witcher 3 thing of trying to justify such a homogeneous cast with "iT'S BaSed On EaSTern EUrope!" type shit despite being in a fictional setting. Death Stranding's media seems to have the same issue, speaking of anticipated games, with DieHard Man seemingly being the only major PoC revealed. LabZero gets a lot of points for making the diversity a goal both thematically and visually. You look to it and just are baffled when other games seem to consciously or unconsciously avoid diversity and representation as a primary objective when there is pretty much no drawback. It'd be a shame if Disco, with so much consideration in so many other aspects, ends up making the choice to be lazy in the aspect of diversity.

Now that's a good ass Shego.
G'damn I love black cosplay Instagram. So many talented black women are on there.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Totally understandable. Despite following, so far the protaganist's Japanese partner is the only major PoC revealed in Disco so far from what I've personally seen. That quote from Skittles makes me hesitant too now. I can only hope that they don't pull the Witcher 3 thing of trying to justify such a homogeneous cast with "iT'S BaSed On EaSTern EUrope!" type shit despite being in a fictional setting. Death Stranding's media seems to have the same issue, speaking of anticipated games, with DieHard Man seemingly being the only major PoC revealed. LabZero gets a lot of points for making the diversity a goal both thematically and visually. You look to it and just are baffled when other games seem to consciously or unconsciously avoid diversity and representation as a primary objective when there is pretty much no drawback. It'd be a shame if Disco, with so much consideration in so many other aspects, ends up making the choice to be lazy in the aspect of diversity.

G'damn I love black cosplay Instagram. So many talented black women are on there.
Nah it falls on whom is many these games and their values of what diversity.

Also Death Stranding might as well be called my famous white Hollywood friends the game. The only person of color has a mask on meaning he is literally invisible and his skin tone doesn't register. Like many things that involve race & representation in gaming.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Trine 2 was one of the prettiest games I played on PS3. Still a pretty game, although if I could downsample, I'd make it look cleaner

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
My ADHD makes it damn near impossible for me to do anything and it’s starting to weigh heavily on me. I don’t even know how to handle it cus growing up my mom didn’t want to believe anything is wrong with her baby so even though I was diagnosed they did nothing about it.

Evening though y’all

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
My ADHD makes it damn near impossible for me to do anything and it’s starting to weigh heavily on me. I don’t even know how to handle it cus growing up my mom didn’t want to believe anything is wrong with her baby so even though I was diagnosed they did nothing about it.

Evening though y’all
The best way to move past it is to be conscious of your behavior and use that as a building block to doing things you know have to be done.

The biggest misconception about ADHD is that we are all scattered brained lazies that can't focus.

When in fact it is the fact we are completely disinterested and apathetic to anything that doesn't mentally stimulate us.

AKA dopamine fiends.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
The best way to move past it is to be conscious of your behavior and use that as a building block to doing things you know have to be done.

The biggest misconception about ADHD is that we are all scattered brained lazies that can't focus.

When in fact it is the fact we are completely disinterested and apathetic to anything that doesn't mentally stimulate us.

AKA dopamine fiends.
Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. This actually makes sense to me. Whenever I can't decide on what to do I just default on reading or listening to music and then end up doing nothing after.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Never messed with DSR, but I don't see why you can't make custom resolutions in the control panel, boot the game, and then select one of the aformentioned resolutions.
My GPU and CPU are from 2015 so while I could do that, I get low FPS and performance sadly. I try to find as much as a middle ground I can find when it comes to this kind of stuff. My other attempts at downsampling and such hadn't exactly gone so well XP

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My GPU and CPU are from 2015 so while I could do that, I get low FPS and performance sadly. I try to find as much as a middle ground I can find when it comes to this kind of stuff. My other attempts at downsampling and such hadn't exactly gone so well XP
Bummer.

My other other solution requires robbing a bank.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. This actually makes sense to me. Whenever I can't decide on what to do I just default on reading or listening to music and then end up doing nothing after.
Lmfao bro this was my daily life for like a year no lie (still is sometimes). Always here if you need to talk.

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I just got into the most bizarre argument with a co-worker. He's a cool dude most of the time but is also that type of coworker that looks at what everyone else is doing and bitches about it or shits on some of the lazier people. But if you even come at him suggesting he may have messed up he gets crazy defensive and argumentative. This cat started yelling me at and I was like c'mon bruh lol chill.

You would think someone who had so much shit to sling at everyone else would hold his work ethic to a higher standard. All I said was our team couple do better and that included me.

🤷🏿‍♂️

Sup y'all.

I haven't been here forever. No idea why. But I'm fixing that. What's good?

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm enjoying the desperation and mania of Trump and his ilk as impeachment starts to close in but more so than that, I'm genuinely frustrated and angry at how the black and brown men and women in the political arena who have been banging this drum since Trump's first day have sidelined in current conversations. Maybe it's a wrong personal perception but I despise how it feels like there are a lot of democratic politicians of color who are owed a lot for not just saying what their colleagues/"allies" were to scared to but being harangued for their rightful indignation against Trump being in office. The era of the decorum bs used to silence people of color, politicians and otherwise, still looms heavy with me.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I'm enjoying the desperation and mania of Trump and his ilk as impeachment starts to close in but more so than that, I'm genuinely frustrated and angry at how the black and brown men and women in the political arena who have been banging this drum since Trump's first day have sidelined in current conversations. Maybe it's a wrong personal perception but I despise how it feels like there are a lot of democratic politicians of color who are owed a lot for not just saying what their colleagues/"allies" were to scared to but being harangued for their rightful indignation against Trump being in office. The era of the decorum bs used to silence people of color, politicians and otherwise, still looms heavy with me.
I would not say that you were viewing it incorrectly given how the most visible people of color in office have been attacked over these last couple of years for saying this. exact. same. thing. White folks shut the fuck up tho until.... well they are still mostly shutting the fuck up so not much has changed.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Did I project my expectations upon him to hope it would have more Black folks? Absolutely. Because it seems like everyone is cool with having 1 or 2 if were lucky. And they might not even be full staffers. This is why in the back of my mind I ultimately doubt I'll ever get hired. Because I don't shy away from that & speak about repeatedly.

*shouting into the void*
I believe it is completely justified because the few PoC in a position to help elevate diversity in concern to these mediums have no qualms serving to perch and defend their white counter parts.

MKBHD always comes to mind. He had no issue defending, praising and endorsing pewdiepie during the controversy of his anti-Semitic actions, and of course, after the use of the word nigger. But have you ever seen this brother reach out and collab with people who aren't white? I think its fair to say he is well aware of the lack "color" in the space he occupies -- he plays his role, as one of extremely few popular black tech reviewers. You'd imagine he would express some concern considering this but nah; his white counterparts network and prop up each other without issue/fail. How am I not suppose to have some inclination of this being something he can't or shouldn't do?

I understand, he isn't obligated to this notion and its fair to say that the action of speaking up for the minority in this space can and would affect this viewership. But if you're gonna go out your way to defend a racist POS and continue to only collab with folks who have no interest in elevating the visuals past white folk... I don't know. I find it kind of. Funny.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that most of all the black men in tech/geekdom? Dance along with the flow, don't rock the boat and be a good lil boy.
I still have a chip on my shoulder about Nintendo, gay people and black people a few years back. The MiiTomo thing. So many defended it to not have gay relationships in a game. Defended not having any black and brown people in the games and then not even realizing the "defense" turned into gay bashing -.- That their most sacred and no one shall touch it. Smh
I ain't pointing at people but I ain't forget.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
I believe it is completely justified because the few PoC in a position to help elevate diversity in concern to these mediums have no qualms serving to perch and defend their white counter parts.

MKBHD always comes to mind. He had no issue defending, praising and endorsing pewdiepie during the controversy of his anti-Semitic actions, and of course, after the use of the word nigger. But have you ever seen this brother reach out and collab with people who aren't white? I think its fair to say he is well aware of the lack "color" in the space he occupies -- he plays his role, as one of extremely few popular black tech reviewers. You'd imagine he would express some concern considering this but nah; his white counterparts network and prop up each other without issue/fail. How am I not suppose to have some inclination of this being something he can't or shouldn't do?

I understand, he isn't obligated to this notion and its fair to say that the action of speaking up for the minority in this space can and would affect this viewership. But if you're gonna go out your way to defend a racist POS and continue to only collab with folks who have no interest in elevating the visuals past white folk... I don't know. I find it kind of. Funny.
Yes it's quite sad. I actually stopped following him for those reasons.

How does it go? Your skinfolk ain't your kinfolk.

I just get frustrated. Like if you gave me the money & tools. I could round up a whole Black & Brown ass editorial team.

Isn't that most of all the black men in tech/geekdom? Dance along with the flow, don't rock the boat and be a good lil boy.
I still have a chip on my shoulder about Nintendo, gay people and black people a few years back. The MiiTomo thing. So many defended it to not have gay relationships in a game. Defended not having any black and brown people in the games and then not even realizing the "defense" turned into gay bashing -.- That their most sacred and no one shall touch it. Smh
I ain't pointing at people but I ain't forget.
Never forget. Call me petty but I never forget

Spinluck

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

It's his channel so however much he wants to talk about his blackness or use that as a positive is up to him. Defending PDP though? Miss me with that. It was fucking cowardly and this guy appearing on Joe "Calling Someone A Person Of Color Should Be Just As Offensive As Calling Them Colored And BTW We're All Technically People Of Color" Rogan says just about enough when it comes to this guy.

Would be cool if he helped minorities in that space but it's pretty clear he's afraid of having any shroud of blackness hurt his position in an overwhelmingly white space.