The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Preordered Indivisible finally. LabZero is among my top 10 indie devs so I hope this one is a success. They're like Klei in a lot of ways and I hope they keep up the diversity of experiences that company does for the foreseeable future.

BTW John Wick Hex is out tomorrow (Epic store only for now I think) in case anyone forgot about that game. I'd preordered that too around when it was announced so the 8th is gonna be busy for me :)

Good morning.

Y'all remember Boy Meets World yeah?

I actually probably watched around 10+ episodes of it. It was contemporary with stuff like Clarissa Explains It All, Smart Guy, and Even Stevens which I personally enjoyed a lot more so I never really clicked with BMW. I do remember that Topanga was the best character and Cory was a fuckboy though lol Cory always looked like the teen son of a mafioso.

Doesn't ring a bell sorry.

Also I'm getting tired of these articles

Jesus, Baby Boomers are some of the whiniest fucks in history.

Nov 17, 2017
Don't know if it's already been mentioned but I just came across the news that Efi from Overwatch is getting a young adult novel about her. I'm actually really glad that Efi hasn't been completely buried or resigned to obscurity in the canon of Overwatch. It would have been so easy to never mention her again since she isn't playable in the game but she thankfully is kept as a significant character in the game's world.
Oh that's awesome!

Shy

Oct 25, 2017
Evening.
BTW John Wick Hex is out tomorrow (Epic store only for now I think) in case anyone forgot about that game. I'd preordered that too around when it was announced so the 8th is gonna be busy for me :)
I pre-ordered that when it was like 6 pounds. And completely forgot about it. LOL
Preordered Indivisible finally. LabZero is among my top 10 indie devs so I hope this one is a success. They're like Klei in a lot of ways and I hope they keep up the diversity of experiences that company does for the foreseeable future.
I'm still waiting for my backer code. 😞

I also fucked up my backer survey (i only just realised when i checked last night) I asked for the Steam version instead of the GOG version. Which i would never do, as i don't believe in DRM.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
These suckas need to send me my indivisibilty key already :v
Cant plat it any time soon due to college and current backlog and the former is something i willingly let take over for the time being xp

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
So, I'm disappointed that hardly any of the reviews of Indivisible made note of the great deal of cultural & religious influences it has.

Further disappointed that the same wasn't said about the cast being the most diverse in any game like ever. :(

But that's just an example of what happens with priorities when writers aren't diverse themselves

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
With Blizzard's decision to not only ban Chung “Blitzchung” Ng Wai from pro competition for a year but also rescind his cash prize winnings for expressing his support for the HK Protests, this the first time I am actively boycotting a company that I am invested in (time and definitely a load of money -- fucking Hearthstone).

"We don't allow politics on our platform. Rules are rules." *makes political move to stay on China's "like a good boy" list*

Fucking pathetic cowards.

Oct 27, 2017
Something rubs me the wrong way about how I’m seeing people downplay efforts by nba teams and players to combat racism because they also don’t wanna have a stance against China. Like I get it atrocities are happening but I’m tired of hearing “woke capitalism” when it comes to addressing issues directly affecting me

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
Something rubs me the wrong way about how I’m seeing people downplay efforts by nba teams and players to combat racism because they also don’t wanna have a stance against China. Like I get it atrocities are happening but I’m tired of hearing “woke capitalism” when it comes to addressing issues directly affecting me
It should. While I'm sure some people are legitimate in their critique, knowing these people, I can't shake the feeling that a lot of it is in bad faith. Like you can critique the china thing without making other efforts look like they weren't shit.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
With Blizzard's decision to not only ban Chung “Blitzchung” Ng Wai from pro competition for a year but also rescind his cash prize winnings for expressing his support for the HK Protests, this the first time I am actively boycotting a company that I am invested in (time and definitely a load of money -- fucking Hearthstone).

"We don't allow politics on our platform. Rules are rules." *makes political move to stay on China's "like a good boy" list*

Fucking pathetic cowards.
It's baffling right? What were seeing is punishment for speaking up. What I don't like is how people are saying boycotting them does nothing. To hell with that, a stance is a stance. This is cowardly.

It should fam. Because again people don't have the depth of understanding what's at play here. Also were inundated with organizations being bullshit little feels genuine. The NBA is big now of letting people speak up on societal injustices because of the players.

The not having a stance in China does feel weak. Because there's unrest there politically. What would have the NBA done if there was comment on the utterly horrible treatment of muslims over there as we speak?

It's bad.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Welp
Now that Doom Eternal got delayed to 2020, let's take a look at what my GOTY list looks like

Metal wolf chaos
Greedfall
Onimusha HD
Ace Combat 7
One Finger Death Punch 2
Team Sonic Racing
Crash Team Racing NF
Kao 2
Investi-gator

....I could've added Yakuza Kiwami 2 and DMC5 if I had the time to play them, but alas...no chance of that due to my obligations these coming months.
I should at least try and play DMC5, since I would not play Kiwami 2 unless I played Yakuza 2 first.

edit: hold up I've got at least 3 more to play this year
Travis Strikes Again
Yooka Laylee 2
Trine 4

Hmmm....
Dang
Forbidden from barbers too.

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Indivisible is reminding me of Kiro'o Games' Aurion: Legacy of the Kari-Odan. Very similar action RPG but set in an Afrofantasy universe by devs from Cameroon. At least so far compared to Indivisible, Aurion is very combo heavy from the start. Definitely recommend that game too even if it's just a purchase to support an ambitious African dev company.

God damn this was a tough one. Feel exactly the same way as him. We have to wake up every day with the burden of a culture of white supremacy, on top of black demonization, on top of the unshakeable worship and reverence the culture at large has for cops. This cruel and vicious white woman's redemption arc is sandwiched between two dead black bodies and somehow it's only black and brown people and their true allies that recognize the absurdity of this entire situation. This is why I get furious when supposed progressive people want to silence black frustration while championing "good cops" and pulling the same shtick pulled during the civil rights era: saying that justified black rage is "gross" & "the system is bad but it'll change someday" while doing fucking nothing to change it. Society has made it the burden of black peoples' to protest quietly, die quietly and forgive the people and system that murdered them quietly all for the comfort of the apathetic & easily discomforted. This year in particular has been a near constant showing of the brutality and deficiencies of the criminal justice system - one of the most powerful institutions in the US, yet here towards year's end we're still being told to shut up and forgive and obey the system by people who are ignoring the stacked piles of dead black and brown men, women and children behind them.

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Oct 25, 2017
I sat quiet for a while after that. So much to take from it. And the fact that so much of that forgiveness and compassion came from black people, even those related to the dude who was murdered. I really don't know what to say. It creates a pain in me that is hard to describe. I want to say that its frustration, but it feels more meaty and encompassing than that. Its more like rage, but still empty-feeling.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know what to say. It creates a pain in me that is hard to describe. I want to say that its frustration, but it feels more meaty and encompassing than that. Its more like rage, but still empty-feeling.
To me it instills within me some odd form of defeatism mixed with restlessness and turmoil.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Adding Activision to my boycotted companies list alongside EA, Rockstar & Konami:

Abuse seems to be permissible in and outside of these companies as long as the bottom line remains intact.

EDIT: Just came across this pretty short and good AJ+ video about the black and brown Mississippi residents dealing with abortion access restrictions:

Last edited:

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Shy got done filthy in that Blizzard China thread. Don’t think I would fare any better seeing some troll basically doing the video game equivalent of shut and dribble on here. Least it’s just a day though.

That being said this whole China situation is just sad, at least the NBA had some fucking backbone but I’m gonna have to side eye the rockets and Harden+Westbrook for cooning it up for papa China but something tells me those two was forced into saying that shit anyway. But they millionaires with nothing to lose (besides more money I guess) from speaking out so who fucking knows.The Rockets wouldn’t bench two of their allstars to appease China I hope. Don’t have to worry about that anymore at least!

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Shy got done filthy in that Blizzard China thread. Don’t think I would fare any better seeing some troll basically doing the video game equivalent of shut and dribble on here. Least it’s just a day though.

That being said this whole China situation is just sad, at least the NBA had some fucking backbone but I’m gonna have to side eye the rockets and Harden+Westbrook for cooning it up for papa China but something tells me those two was forced into saying that shit anyway. But they millionaires with nothing to lose (besides more money I guess) from speaking out so who fucking knows.The Rockets wouldn’t bench two of their allstars to appease China I hope. Don’t have to worry about that anymore at least!
It's wild Blizzard dropped the ball big time and the NBA mostly did the right thing. All of sudden it's not keep politics out of my games with these people right?