The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Oct 27, 2017
The optics on this nba China stuff is starting to get worse. Now somehow black men are being forced to answer for atrocities done in China and if we don’t have a political stance on foreign affairs we forfeit our right to speak about injustices that we face everyday

Static Shock

Coward
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The optics on this nba China stuff is starting to get worse. Now somehow black men are being forced to answer for atrocities done in China and if we don’t have a political stance on foreign affairs we forfeit our right to speak about injustices that we face everyday
How the NBA as a business responding to the situation deserves to be rightly criticized, but it's completely bullshit putting it on the players and blacks which is what I am starting to see more. I'm even seeing people unfairly compare how the NBA is supporting stances like BLM but not Hong Kong.

Oct 27, 2017
How the NBA as a business responding to the situation deserves to be rightly criticized, but it's completely bullshit putting it on the players and blacks which is what I am starting to see more. I'm even seeing people unfairly compare how the NBA is supporting stances like BLM but not Hong Kong.
It’s fine to critique NBA, but why is a CNN reporter putting russell Westbrook and James harden on the spot for geopolitical hot takes in a press conference?

The NBA is following the players leads and backing what the players believe in. Like I feel like reporting the next person who says “they don’t have the right to be socially conscious anymore”. As if us black peoples have support from every other infringed upon group

I should and any athlete should have the right to pick what they want to be outraged and protest about

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's a fair ass question. More than fair.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair to criticize the NBA but I guarantee you a lot of the people doing the criticizing were all about keeping politics out of sports when it came to Kaepernick

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Be weary of the....ridiculousness in gaming side today.
Suggest reporting any posts you find distasteful and not engage too heavily if u brave enough to go in there.
That Blackface cosplay thread is annoying. The outfit/clothes are the costume, not Black skin! Black people have been dressing up as Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc... for years for Halloween without putting White make up on under the capes. It just fuels the fact that some people see Black skin and Black hair and see "extra/foreign/other than/outer worldly" and need to paint themselves on top of wearing brightly colored spandex.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
That Blackface cosplay thread is annoying. The outfit/clothes are the costume, not Black skin! Black people have been dressing up as Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc... for years for Halloween without putting White make up on under the capes. It just fuels the fact that some people see Black skin and Black hair and see "extra/foreign/other than/outer worldly" and need to paint themselves on top of wearing brightly colored spandex.
Is that what was happening in this context?

Static Shock

Coward
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Once I saw one person ask if it was okay dressing up as a robot who is black and another person ask if they can dress up as spawn, it opened my eyes to that people on this board will never be serious about that topic.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Is it about the Eurocosplay fuckery?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Once I saw one person ask if it was okay dressing up as a robot who is black and another person ask if they can dress up as spawn, it opened my eyes to that people on this board will never be serious about that topic.
People on the internet rarely are serious enough to take deep consideration before they post, and even if they don't post, people will continue to ignore any stance that doesn't benefit their own.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it was her then. 🤦🏾‍♂️
These people never do give up do they? Always pretending shit is dandy.
Tell me again why this kind of violence is OK but jebas if I lay hands on them?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Kreed "you tell me" is a poor excuse for discussion when I didn't ask a question in bad faith. you said, "it just fuels the fact that some people see Black skin and Black hair and see "extra/foreign/other than/outer worldly" but nothing in your post conveys that she's going for that, or that her cosplay will propagate those ideals. based on her comments the woman is a shit person, and completely insensitive as to why people could be angry with this, but I do not agree that her creation and the wearing of this costume are blackface in the least, and I fail to see why it is problematic.

she makes a claim of wanting to be faithful, and she's not benefiting from this costume because of the skin color used, so how this is an appropriation of the sentiment that black people are cool/exotic/etc.? I also disagree with the "my skin-color is not a costume" and your quip of, "No need for body suits for the 'White people relatable' characters. But a character who just happens to be Black? Full body suit needed" argument in this context when she's not even painting her skin in the first place, but designed an entire body-suit of a fictional character (with a completely different gender and body type) that happened to be black. I would see credence in the argument if she's impersonating an actual person in real life. I would see credence in the argument if she simply painted her skin, but the amount of augmentation done to her actual self is so drastic, respectful, and faithful, that I have no qualms about this transformation. if she decided to cosplay twintella who would have a similar body type and gender where no costume necessary to a faithful representation of the character, I could understand an argument for blackface if she's painting herself darker skinned.

I have a problem with all blackface, but I do not believe this is, especially not in a traditional sense, nor in the contemporary criteria doubly so when there was no ill will intended, and I have still yet to see an argument to the contrary here or in that thread.

Last edited:

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Kreed "you tell me" is a poor excuse for discussion when I didn't ask a question in bad faith. you said, "it just fuels the fact that some people see Black skin and Black hair and see "extra/foreign/other than/outer worldly" but nothing in your post conveys that she's going for that, or that her cosplay will propagate those ideals. based on her comments the woman is a shit person, and completely insensitive as to why people could be angry with this, but I do not agree that her creation and the wearing of this costume are blackface in the least, and I fail to see why it is problematic.

she makes a claim of wanting to be faithful, and she's not benefiting from this costume because of the skin color used, so how this is an appropriation of the sentiment that black people are cool/exotic/etc.? I also disagree with the "my skin-color is not a costume" and your quip of, "No need for body suits for the 'White people relatable' characters. But a character who just happens to be Black? Full body suit needed" argument in this context when she's not even painting her skin in the first place, but designed an entire body-suit of a fictional character (with a completely different gender and body type) that happened to be black. I would see credence in the argument if she's impersonating an actual person in real life. I would see credence in the argument if she simply painted her skin, but the amount of augmentation done to her actual self is so drastic, respectful, and faithful, that I have no qualms about this transformation. if she decided to cosplay twintella who would have a similar body type and gender where no costume necessary to a faithful representation of the character, I could understand an argument for blackface if she's painting herself darker skinned.

I have a problem with all blackface, but I do not believe this is, especially not in a traditional sense, nor in the contemporary criteria doubly so when there was no ill will intended, and I have still yet to see an argument to the contrary here or in that thread.
Just gonna pick on that last part.
You saying they gotta have ill intent for it to be fucked up?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna pick on that last part.
You saying they gotta have ill intent for it to be fucked up?
of course not but I also addressed other reasons besides ill intent in my post. The issue at hand is that people don’t think she had ill intent, but she’s still participating in blackface simply because she’s donned in black body suit since she’s not a large muscular black video game character. Also I tend to think someone dressing in blackface out of ill intent is much more important as criticism to someone who isn’t especially when I believe the line as in the present situation is blurred. With her follow up comments she can kick rocks, but as I’m simply discussing the costume itself I didn’t express other issues in detail.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
She made a cool and really good looking nigga suit. Doesn't matter if it's a fantasy character. Still a nigga suit to take on and off when she feels like it.
Doesn't matter that it's a video game character. The effect of it is that it comes of as said nigga suit.
And yes I wouldn't be this bothered if the woman in question had taken two seconds to reflect instead of just going fuck you got mine. A new dumbass is born everyday and unfortunately we just gotta deal with them.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
She made a cool and really good looking nigga suit. Doesn't matter if it's a fantasy character. Still a nigga suit to take on and off when she feels like it.
Doesn't matter that it's a video game character. The effect of it is that it comes of as said nigga suit.
And yes I wouldn't be this bothered if the woman in question had taken two seconds to reflect instead of just going fuck you got mine. A new dumbass is born everyday and unfortunately we just gotta deal with them.
I mean that’s really the issue here, right? “She’s not black, she’s pretending to be black, and afterwards she’ll no longer be black, but I am, and the world treats me like shit because of my skin. She gets to take off a costume and this is who I am.” I don’t think any black person should be told not to feel this way, I just don’t think it fits blackface in any way given the way she went about it (prior to her fuckwit comments). It’s just my opinion though, so whatever.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that’s really the issue here, right? “She’s not black, she’s pretending to be black, and afterwards she’ll no longer be black, but I am, and the world treats me like shit because of my skin. She gets to take off a costume and this is who I am.” I don’t think any black person should be told not to feel this way, I just don’t think it fits blackface in any way given the way she went about it (prior to her fuckwit comments). It’s just my opinion though, so whatever.
Nah, don't minimize your own input. I may not agree with your opinion but it's still valid and you should never whatever yourself.

But yes and no. I don't really know how to respond but that's part of it. I'm not a costume. I'll never be and I never want to be. But even if shit turned magical and we had true equality for everyone. Not just men and women, black and white, gay or straight, trans or cis but all the spectrums I would still not be cool with being a suit. Just the act of making it puts me in a "accessory" slot where me and the "other things" will be kept until needed.

Look at it this way.
It gives enough time for more posts to appear for you to report.
LOL that's a way to put it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If she wanted to cosplay wearing Pyke's outfit, that's fine IMO.
But you don't gotta look black to cosplay a black character, or any darker skinned character for that matter.

EDIT: Speaking of cosplaying, I am light brown and I doubt I could ever get my hair to look like them but I would've liked to cosplay as Yoshikage Kira and Dio from JoJo.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
...alright.

1) Normally when I come into the BCC I turn my "office" voice off and speak like I'm "in the Barbershop" as DY would put it. So I'm surprised you took offense to me saying "you tell me" (ex: You should have read it as "You tell me, look at this bullshit I'm about to show you in my post here...") since you've been in the BCC long enough to know regulars are generally are a little more "relaxed" in here/less interested in arguing with other members vs in the OT/Etc . Now normally, I would just say my bad and keep it moving, but you said a lot so let me put the "office voice on" for a minute.

2) As Faustek said, her intention isn't the issue here. The same goes for other Blackface costumes that have created controversy like Julianne Houg dressing up as Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black, or the people who would dress up as Zwarte Piet. I'm not accusing this cosplayer of being a KKK member/Dylan Roof. Like when a White person says "Nigga" in a rap song, the intention isn't always what is offensive to people.

3) The method of the Blackface or who she is dressing up as also isn't the problem. It doesn't matter if it's Julianne Houg dressing up as Crazy Eyes or Disney selling kids a Maui costume. It's offensive to many people because they are making the skin/the person into the costume, not because of make up vs a skin costume.

4) I'm not interested in arguing what "real/traditional Blackface" is or not. Using shoe polish, Maybelline, or latex, red lips or no red lips doesn't make a difference. You may as well be saying every controversy around "Blackface" has been a mistake because no one is doing Minstrel shows anymore. People are getting upset at these examples because of the use of Black/Brown skin as part of a costume.

4) There's a reason I brought up in my original post how Black people generally do not do this:

In these three images above, you know exactly who these people are supposed to be with just their outfits/hair without the need to paint the skin or for these people to wear a White/pale skin body suit. Or here's an example Skittles posted in the original thread of a cosplayer dressing as a darker skinned fictional character:

Again, no body suit, no make up, but you know who she is supposed to portray by wearing the actual costume! It doesn't matter if their gender or body types are different either, it isn't necessary to the actual costume.

My overall point that I was making is that there is a difference in how someone who thinks it is ok/necessary to color their skin to properly/effectively dress up as a character thinks, and people who don't see other ethnic groups as "other than" think and will just wear the costume/clothing as is without dressing up as another ethnicity. The ethnicity of the person isn't important to the costume/recognizing the costume, which is why I personally get annoyed with these examples of "Blackface" or what ever you personally call this. Again, that isn't to say that the people who think this way have ill intentions or are secret KKK members, just that they, like others affected by White Supremacy overall, have a "blind spot" in how they see people of Color/people of different ethnic groups etc...

Regardless, you are free to have your own personal opinion/there are no "Emperors of Black people" here.

Last edited:

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
I haven't seen the original thread regarding the cosplayer - but I have to wonder if people do this kind of thing on purpose. Like we are having discussions about if it's okay or not - which gets more eyes on the cosplay and white people by and large don't care. The racism skips away and they get left with the craftsmanship. It makes me hate it more tbh and even if it isn't the exact spirit of blackface it's a close cousin.

Oct 27, 2017
...alright.

1) Normally when I come into the BCC I turn my "office" voice off and speak like I'm "in the Barbershop" as DY would put it. So I'm surprised you took offense to me saying "you tell me" (ex: You should have read it as "You tell me, look at this bullshit I'm about to show you in my post here...") since you've been in the BCC long enough to know regulars are generally are a little more "relaxed" in here/less interested in arguing with other members vs in the OT/Etc . Now normally, I would just say my bad and keep it moving, but you said a lot so let me put the "office voice on" for a minute.

2) As Faustek said, her intention isn't the issue here. The same goes for other Blackface costumes that have created controversy like Julianne Houg dressing up as Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black, or the people who would dress up as Zwarte Piet. I'm not accusing this cosplayer of being a KKK member/Dylan Roof. Like when a White person says "Nigga" in a rap song, the intention isn't always what is offensive to people.

3) The method of the Blackface or who she is dressing up as also isn't the problem. It doesn't matter if it's Julianne Houg dressing up as Crazy Eyes or Disney selling kids a Maui costume. It's offensive to many people because they are making the skin/the person into the costume, not because of make up vs a skin costume.

4) I'm not interested in arguing what "real/traditional Blackface" is or not. Using shoe polish, Maybelline, or latex, red lips or no red lips doesn't make a difference. You may as well be saying every controversy around "Blackface" has been a mistake because no one is doing Minstrel shows anymore. People are getting upset at these examples because of the use of Black/Brown skin as part of a costume.

4) There's a reason I brought up in my original post how Black people generally do not do this:

In these three images above, you know exactly who these people are supposed to be with just their outfits/hair without the need to paint the skin or for these people to wear a White/pale skin body suit. Or here's an example Skittles posted in the original thread of a cosplayer dressing as a darker skinned fictional character:

Again, no body suit, no make up, but you know who she is supposed to portray by wearing the actual costume! It doesn't matter if their gender or body types are different either, it isn't necessary to the actual costume.

My overall point that I was making is that there is a difference in how someone who thinks it is ok/necessary to color their skin to properly/effectively dress up as a character thinks, and people who don't see other ethnic groups as "other than" think and will just wear the costume/clothing as is without dressing up as another ethnicity. The ethnicity of the person isn't important to the costume/recognizing the costume, which is why I personally get annoyed with these examples of "Blackface" or what ever you personally call this. Again, that isn't to say that the people who think this way have ill intentions or are secret KKK members, just that they, like others affected by White Supremacy overall, have a "blind spot" in how they see people of Color/people of different ethnic groups etc...

Regardless, you are free to have your own personal opinion/there are no "Emperors of Black people" here.
I feel like it’s just a common sense thing. If I wanted to be idk Vegeta for Halloween, I’d just dress like him. It’s always white people who have to take it a step farther and paint their skin and act like they are being coy about it

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm slowly getting through this video. Next time tell us what it's about instead of blind posting please lol.

Anywho this show isn't going to do well if it doesn't do Black women & femmes justice. Correction, it'll be a laughing stock unless Black women have a more predominant role.

Thank you!
To tell the truth I wanted to say more but didn't know how to word it properly ^^;