• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Oct 31, 2017
Star Trek has a way of really relaxing me lately. I'm pretty sure TNG might be my favorite so far, but I have heard that DS9 is amazing and I can't wait to hop on that. I've also been reading these old Static issues and I'm really mad I didn't find these when I was younger. These are fantastic and I'm seeing a lot of young me in these pages. Virgil deserves his own show set in the 90s.

Also I've started writing some things inspired by that checkpoint that bothered me in mid October.

P.S. how do you ping a user in here?

I literally came into this thread right now to say this:

Benjamin Sisko drinks Cognac.

I watched Discovery, TNG & DS9 for the first time this year. It really hit me. I'm stuck on DS9, though.

I never thought about Static as a period piece but that's a dope idea. I'm mad af that such a crucial character doesn't even have an ongoing comic right now let alone the show/movies he deserves

Static Shock

Coward
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Star Trek has a way of really relaxing me lately. I'm pretty sure TNG might be my favorite so far, but I have heard that DS9 is amazing and I can't wait to hop on that. I've also been reading these old Static issues and I'm really mad I didn't find these when I was younger. These are fantastic and I'm seeing a lot of young me in these pages. Virgil deserves his own show set in the 90s.

Also I've started writing some things inspired by that checkpoint that bothered me in mid October.

P.S. how do you ping a user in here?
og static comics are great. Think the only thing I disliked about it was the love triangle but I really enjoy reading them.

Static Shock

Coward
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
That's something I'd change for sure! I was gonna you and ask how you felt about the comics!
yea I absolutely love them. There's things about it I love more than the show like the fact that hes in a nuclear family home and not the stereotype 1 parent home that is normally attached to blacks. I think Francis was handled much better in the comics as far as evolving vergil where in the show he's more so there for slapstick after introducing him. The Holocaust storyline was EASILY my favorite story in the series (except the love triangle) since it did so much for the character Static. Sad we never got it in any form in the TV show. But yea I love it. Static is way more charming in the comics (he's such a nerd in the best way), he's just a walking (or flying) one-liner. Villains are relatable to me and they go into heavy stories. The show does too but differently. The show does win big over the comics with Rubberband man. Probably the best addition to the TV show and one of the best villains comic or show.

EDIT: oh yea, also don't like how they removed Rick from being gay in the comics on the TV show.

Last edited:

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
I never thought about Static as a period piece but that's a dope idea. I'm mad af that such a crucial character doesn't even have an ongoing comic right now let alone the show/movies he deserves
It honestly suuuuucks. But yes I'd love, love, love a good 90s show. I'd also love to see him rocking a different hat every episode.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
yea I absolutely love them. There's things about it I love more than the show like the fact that hes in a nuclear family home and not the stereotype 1 parent home that is normally attached to blacks. I think Francis was handled much better in the comics as far as evolving vergil where in the show he's more so there for slapstick after introducing him. The Holocaust storyline was EASILY my favorite story in the series (except the love triangle) since it did so much for the character Static. Sad we never got it in any form in the TV show. But yea I love it. Static is way more charming in the comics (he's such a nerd in the best way), he's just a walking (or flying) one-liner. Villains are relatable to me and they go into heavy stories. The show does too but differently. The show does win big over the comics with Rubberband man. Probably the best addition to the TV show and one of the best villains comic or show.
Virgil is such a great character. Charming, nerdy (but not annoyingly so), and heroic. The biggest surprise for me so far (besides how incredible Static is as a character) is the sort of things that the comics are discussing. I did expect them to touch on race, of course, but I didn't know they were going to take a play at intersectionality. It's really sad that nothing is being done with him. I've really got to rewatch the show once I'm done with these comics.

Static Shock

Coward
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Virgil is such a great character. Charming, nerdy (but not annoyingly so), and heroic. The biggest surprise for me so far (besides how incredible Static is as a character) is the sort of things that the comics are discussing. I did expect them to touch on race, of course, but I didn't know they were going to take a play at intersectionality. It's really sad that nothing is being done with him. I've really got to rewatch the show once I'm done with these comics.
He's so unapologetically nerdy in a charming way. I remember muttering a few times "he's such a nerd..." with a big grin after reading a panel. He will purposely find ways to insert nerdy references and black colloquialism. In the show he would more do pop culture reference so that a larger audience would understand and that kinda took away that certain angle to his character. But the comic just goes into that realm that comics at that time did not touch. Even if the racial ones are expected they handle it in a way that you don't see even now.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Catch me at Popeyes tomorrow in a hoodie, sweatpants and some flip flops looking stoopid waiting in line for a sandwich that will be gone by the time I roll up in the parking lot.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
There needs to be another push to get the Loser flag removed from the Mississippi flag.
I was just reading about her the other week for a college project. She's a fucking warrior. Also insane how the State of New Jersey and the US government have used her as a political perk by asking Cuba to send her back to the States. They even finessed members of the Black Caucus who were against the bill asking to bring Shakur back. Her story is another example of how much this country hates black women.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
There needs to be another push to get the Loser flag removed from the Mississippi flag.

I was just reading about her the other week for a college project. She's a fucking warrior. Also insane how the State of New Jersey and the US government have used her as a political perk by asking Cuba to send her back to the States. They even finessed members of the Black Caucus who were against the bill asking to bring Shakur back. Her story is another example of how much this country hates black women.
Yeah I need to read her book.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Do y’all think 21 turning 22 is too old to want to become a doctor? I turn 22 in March, and I’ve only done one semester of college back in 2017. I’ve just been working and wasting away these past couple of years though. I know I shouldn’t measure myself against other people it’s hard not to feel like you’ve wasted your life sometimes.

Shy

Oct 25, 2017
Evening, west coast brother.
Do y’all think 21 turning 22 is too old to want to become a doctor? I turn 22 in March, and I’ve only done one semester of college back in 2017. I’ve just been working and wasting away these past couple of years though. I know I shouldn’t measure myself against other people it’s hard not to feel like you’ve wasted your life sometimes.
Nah. It's not too late. Get on that shit, and do some good in this world.

There can never be enough doctors.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
It's never too late.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Never too late for anything in this world. Anything involving you should be this old & blah blah is privileged drivel. No really it is. People think having accomplished whatever at an early age & etc is talent. Nope, you were privileged eith either money, time, & or a combination of both.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Never too late for anything in this world. Anything involving you should be this old & blah blah is privileged drivel. No really it is. People think having accomplished whatever at an early age & etc is talent. Nope, you were privileged eith either money, time, & or a combination of both.

Imma push back on that a little bit, but not by much. Talent isn't about money, time or a combination of either. Talent is about innate skill. Now earning positions is about money and time. Two diff things. Talent does not equal rewards.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Imma push back on that a little bit, but not by much. Talent isn't about money, time or a combination of either. Talent is about innate skill. Now earning positions is about money and time. Two diff things. Talent does not equal rewards.
Yeah true, I agree talent being an innate skill only goes so far. You still need to hone your skills. Everyone isn't a world class writer or painter from the jump.

Man she winning the contest for sure

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I appreciate all the nuggets you get from this guy in this game. I was like damn as I sat there on my couch with the switch version back in January
I finished it the other day. Gameplay-wise it needed to have shorter levels (Death Balls), and the combat reminded me of Ys series which have done the overhead fast paced hack and slash quite well while utilizing simple mechanics like in this game.

I like it for being the usual Suda51 Style over Substance, but If it borrowed some of Ys gameplay elements I feel it would've been better, among other things
It was one hell of an acid trip though XD
I should try Japanese sweets with Coffee someday....

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
I finished it the other day. Gameplay-wise it needed to have shorter levels (Death Balls), and the combat reminded me of Ys series which have done the overhead fast paced hack and slash quite well while utilizing simple mechanics like in this game.

I like it for being the usual Suda51 Style over Substance, but If it borrowed some of Ys gameplay elements I feel it would've been better, among other things
It was one hell of an acid trip though XD
I should try Japanese sweets with Coffee someday....
Same, same