• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
That soul movie looks nice. But yo we got to really address how we aren't in animated films unless were not human :/

This tweet is in response to how two white game devs pretty much threw up their hands at & said damn it's so hard to have women on our dev teams.

Oct 27, 2017
That soul movie looks nice. But yo we got to really address how we aren't in animated films unless were not human :/

This tweet is in response to how two white game devs pretty much threw up their hands at & said damn it's so hard to have women on our dev teams.

Aside from the obvious I also think a big problem with diversity in games in the US at least is that these big studios set up shop in the super liberal white tech Mecca’s of the country. Like the pee capita of studios in CA or Washington must be crazy. You branch out to other states with these big businesses coupled with starting the interest and education at a young age and you’ll see changes

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The teaser of Pixar's Soul looks good, but it is a bit disappointing that the main character will be a disembodied spirit throughout the majority of the film.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
The teaser of Pixar's Soul looks good, but it is a bit disappointing that the main character will be a disembodied spirit throughout the majority of the film.
As bad as I thought the small number of Black characters starring in cartoons was, I didn't realize how much smaller the number is for Black cartoon films until I tried listing them out in response to this emerging "trope" of Black cartoon characters turning into other creatures/imaginary things in cartoon movies.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
As bad as I thought the small number of Black characters starring in cartoons was, I didn't realize how much smaller the number is for Black cartoon films until I tried listing them out in response to this emerging "trope" of Black cartoon characters turning into other creatures/imaginary things in cartoon movies.
Add Spies in Disguise to this list.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
The Latinx thread is interesting...

Netflix's animated shows feel so badly paced to me. I'm watching Dragon Prince and it feels like I'm skipping three episodes every episode. She-Ra is a little better but I really wish they'd let themselves breath more. Voltron was... Man. Nine to like twelve twentyy minute episodes - some of them being kinda filler - just isn't what I'm hoping for every season. I'm just going to hold off on watching the new season of She-Ra for until the next one drops.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The Latinx thread is interesting...

Netflix's animated shows feel so badly paced to me. I'm watching Dragon Prince and it feels like I'm skipping three episodes every episode. She-Ra is a little better but I really wish they'd let themselves breath more. Voltron was... Man. Nine to like twelve twentyy minute episodes - some of them being kinda filler - just isn't what I'm hoping for every season. I'm just going to hold off on watching the new season of She-Ra for until the next one drops.
Voltron using the Bury Your Gays trope.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Chief Keef playing games with WayPoint and Austin being the main one to talk to him while everyone else looks checked out will always be one of the funniest/saddest things ever to me.

Nov 17, 2017
I can't help but feel like the whole "black character in animated movie turns into something else for the majority of the movie" is a way for studios to have their cake and eat it too. Like they can say they made something with a black lead but then they can also turn them into something non-human, which to me just seems like code for "white people can relate to frogs more than black people."

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
I can't help but feel like the whole "black character in animated movie turns into something else for the majority of the movie" is a way for studios to have their cake and eat it too. Like they can say they made something with a black lead but then they can also turn them into something non-human, which to me just seems like code for "white people can relate to frogs more than black people."
It most certainly feels that way & probably is. Hell we know enough about society to see things for what they are.

I also wonder how much of this is also international branding as well. We know fhe world isn't all I love Black folks.

I now want animated film with human Black folks throughout. Not named Spider Verse

Nov 17, 2017
It most certainly feels that way & probably is. Hell we know enough about society to see things for what they are.

I also wonder how much of this is also international branding as well. We know fhe world isn't all I love Black folks.

I now want animated film with human Black folks throughout. Not named Spider Verse
The international thing definitely makes me think China. Didn't their version of the Black Panther movie poster have T'Challa wearing his mask when in the normal version his face is there?

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
We aren't really at the "cake" conversation yet. There has only been a small amount of Black animated films/animated films starring Black characters that have been made total, let alone in a given year. The push for diversity in animation isn't anywhere close to how it is for live action, even in comparison to the days where there was only one live action Black show on TV at a given time. So this is really just studios choosing when they want Black characters in their films, which is when the characters are attached to big names Black actors like Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Hart, etc...

In regards to the transforming trope, it's a combination of "Disney" magical/animated sidekick formula and Dwayne McDuffie's Rule of 3. If an animated film isn't outright starring animals/magical creatures or completely focused on animals/magical creatures, then the humans "must" have at least one magical/animal sidekick. Then you have the rule of 3, where if there's more than 3 Black characters in a comic, movie, TV show, etc... it makes the piece of media a "Black" show, comic, etc... in regards to Hollywood, which Hollywood Animation studios do not want to make voluntarily/won't make on their own.

So Hollywood wants their magical/animal sidekick in an animated film, and they are still applying the "rule of 3", with many of the films with Black leads literally only having that one Black character in it. Then you have Hollywood looking for Black actors like Will Smith, Kevin Hart, Jamie Foxx, etc... for their "funny/recognizable voices" that are "perfect" for goofy animal/magical sidekicks, and the trope is born/continues.