The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It's midnight over here and the one thing I plan on playing is some good kid friendly Point and Click adventure games :P
Also this game

Which has the most 90s ass techie teen ever.

Manmademan

Aug 6, 2018
In case you were wondering why the NYT music articles & recommendations are ummm lacking

To be fair, what black people would open the new york times to find music recommendations? Youtube exists. Spotify exists. The concept itself is insane.

edit: the sequel

Luckily, as soon as I agreed to take a phone call, the phone rang. The voice sounded vaguely familiar and I knew it wasn’t a surrogate or a campaign volunteer when the person said:

“I don’t think I’ve ever been called a ‘lying motherfucker’ before.”

It was Pete Buttigieg.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
So, at my school here in Taiwan, I've been asked to teach a semester-long course about "American culture" to Grade 10 and 11 ELL students. There are no standards or tests I have to meet, so I've kind of been given carte blanche to do whatever I like. What I'm doing so far is kind of a crash course in American History, starting in the Northeast/New England, working down the South/Southwest, and finishing on the West Coast.

I figured I'd ask here what kind of events and issues the people in the Black Culture thread would choose to put into such a course, because I think understanding the black American experience is central to understanding... pretty much any aspect of American culture as a whole. So far in my course I have included:

- Harlem Renaissance/the Jazz Age
- Hip hop origins in the Bronx
- Slavery and reconstruction eras
- Jim Crow/segregation laws
- The KKK/white nationalism
- New Orleans

A couple of things that I want to include but am having trouble finding a place for (or deciding if they're appropriate for a quick entry-level course) are redlining and gentrification, but what do you think? Is there a big area that you would personally include that I've left out so far? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Mornin' you bunch of jive Turkeys.

So, at my school here in Taiwan, I've been asked to teach a semester-long course about "American culture" to Grade 10 and 11 ELL students. There are no standards or tests I have to meet, so I've kind of been given carte blanche to do whatever I like. What I'm doing so far is kind of a crash course in American History, starting in the Northeast/New England, working down the South/Southwest, and finishing on the West Coast.

I figured I'd ask here what kind of events and issues the people in the Black Culture thread would choose to put into such a course, because I think understanding the black American experience is central to understanding... pretty much any aspect of American culture as a whole. So far in my course I have included:

- New Orleans

A couple of things that I want to include but am having trouble finding a place for (or deciding if they're appropriate for a quick entry-level course) are redlining and gentrification, but what do you think? Is there a big area that you would personally include that I've left out so far? Thanks in advance.

This is a pretty good start. Anything I add would be pretty grim like the Tulsa massacre.
Actually, second thought, there a ton of black authors, pioneering engineers and inventors you can reference as well.

--------------

Last edited:

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a few taxing weeks, actually no but the lack of sun for two weeks have made the usual fuckery extra taxing.
Walk in to my office, say the music sucks and turn it off. Tell him no one asked for his opinion he does the sad laugh, comes in later to my office and says "but this music really sucks" and walks to turn it off. I sternly say that I'm still not asking for his opinion and tell him to spit it out or leave. He gets really upset and complains to my not-boss. Not-Boss ends up asking me to be kinder. Music that is so damn low you can't hear unless you walk in to my office which I never invited him to come in. He didn't even have an excuse to walk in. No knock no nothing. Just walked in.
White People be shocked to learn that police actually be stopping people and taking their clothes if they think it's to expensive for someone and thus stolen. Anna, I told you that 2 months ago when I came into work without a Jacket in the rain. The police took it, I still haven't gotten it back even tho I proved that I bought it and where I work. Still I must have lied about it and I should be kinder to people calling me a liar.
People be shocked to learn that the new black kids always get stopped and frisked by the rent-a-cops and then the cops when they try to walk in and out of work. I be telling it and written several notices about it but apparently I need to be kinder to people doing their jobs. This is why I'm considering going full time in the union and just fuck up shit that works against us. Gonna be a paycut but I wonder if it isn't worth it. Most people in the family are ok with the money. As long as nothing horrible happens.

Nah negro, you a damn coon if you ever ask me to be kinder in my tone to people when they on some fuck shit. I need the sun and a vacation.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017

- New Orleans

Maybe covering groups like the BPP or the War on Drugs. Only things I can think of going off of the trend of your list.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
It's been a few taxing weeks, actually no but the lack of sun for two weeks have made the usual fuckery extra taxing.
Walk in to my office, say the music sucks and turn it off. Tell him no one asked for his opinion he does the sad laugh, comes in later to my office and says "but this music really sucks" and walks to turn it off. I sternly say that I'm still not asking for his opinion and tell him to spit it out or leave. He gets really upset and complains to my not-boss. Not-Boss ends up asking me to be kinder. Music that is so damn low you can't hear unless you walk in to my office which I never invited him to come in. He didn't even have an excuse to walk in. No knock no nothing. Just walked in.
White People be shocked to learn that police actually be stopping people and taking their clothes if they think it's to expensive for someone and thus stolen. Anna, I told you that 2 months ago when I came into work without a Jacket in the rain. The police took it, I still haven't gotten it back even tho I proved that I bought it and where I work. Still I must have lied about it and I should be kinder to people calling me a liar.
People be shocked to learn that the new black kids always get stopped and frisked by the rent-a-cops and then the cops when they try to walk in and out of work. I be telling it and written several notices about it but apparently I need to be kinder to people doing their jobs. This is why I'm considering going full time in the union and just fuck up shit that works against us. Gonna be a paycut but I wonder if it isn't worth it. Most people in the family are ok with the money. As long as nothing horrible happens.

Nah negro, you a damn coon if you ever ask me to be kinder in my tone to people when they on some fuck shit. I need the sun and a vacation.
Damn I'm sorry to hear about those microagressions man. Were always here if you need to vent

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think NBC would have improved their HR department after Matt Lauer but nope.
I assume they put in a policy to stop employees from turning their own offices into literal traps for women and then just clapped their hands and stepped back.
---
I don't know why I cooked turkey today I need to find out the best place to offload this turkey.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
Lol starting to see why I should stay away from the gaming side of these forums
Your thread immediately got hit with the same exhausted posts as a previous thread that dealt with Pokemon and PoC representation. It's fucking annoying going into those threads and someone immediately has to bring up how they're Asian like that makes it any better when the country/city they are in has a Asian minority presence.

I legit hate over half the people the people that post on gaming side because of the dumb shit that's said. Niggas can make these educated ass theories on how much the PS4 will sell next month but can't use a slice of common Sense on a topic about diversity.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Your thread immediately got hit with the same exhausted posts as a previous thread that dealt with Pokemon and PoC representation. It's fucking annoying going into those threads and someone immediately has to bring up how they're Asian like that makes it any better when the country/city they are in has a Asian minority presence.

I legit hate over half the people the people that post on gaming side because of the dumb shit that's said. Niggas can make these educated ass theories on how much the PS4 will sell next month but can't use a slice of common Sense on a topic about diversity.
Ojhe
I don't blame you for wanting to take a cricket bat and smacking it across the face of some people.

Shit is wild. The amount of people just dismissing it going “tArGeT dEmOgRaPhIc” in that thread is just wild to me. Like it’s games with character creation. ANYBODY can be catered to but it’s always only white people. Like am I wrong for pointing that out?

Like I guess I started off the conversation on the wrong foot cus where I’m from everybody’s either Black, Indian or Chinese or some mixture of the three. Like okay yeah white males are the target I guess but what’s stopping them from trying to get new demographics on board?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Ojhe I applaud your thread asking the why. I'll post my answer here so it doesn't get bombarded with racist sentiment.

The reason was default characters, promo art, and commercials featured white or coded white characters is majority culture. Because the workforce of gaming is overtly white. It's the same as to why nearly all industries are white too.

It's a function of the system that is made to have them as the default. That then of course spreads to entertainment. The only, only answers to fix it is to have marginalized peoples in charge and in the space.

Other as I always say it will not change enough on it's own. Jedi Fallen Order is a great example.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Ojhe I applaud your thread asking the why. I'll post my answer here so it doesn't get bombarded with racist sentiment.

The reason was default characters, promo art, and commercials featured white or coded white characters is majority culture. Because the workforce of gaming is overtly white. It's the same as to why nearly all industries are white too.

It's a function of the system that is made to have them as the default. That then of course spreads to entertainment. The only, only answers to fix it is to have marginalized peoples in charge and in the space.

Other as I always say it will not change enough on it's own. Jedi Fallen Order is a great example.
Thanks for this my guy, It’s kind of what I figured but I just wanted to see what’s the general consensus. Ended up getting a lot of bad faith thrown my way instead. After what happened with sea lion and their threads I should’ve expected as much honestly.