The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this is allow here, but there's an indiegogo project for a film that's very relevant to this community.

It's a documentary about a black rapper, her feminism inspired by Metroid, and a all star cast of animators featuring women of color for the animation segment. The project already reached the minimum required goal of 75% the other day, but there are a few days left. If anyone is interested in donating to the project.

Enongo is a forthcoming feature-length documentary and the inspiring story of rapper/producer/Ph.D. candidate Enongo Lumumba-Kasongo, a.k.a. Sammus. Through her compelling and honest music, Enongo/Sammus tackles various subjects including (but certainly not limited to) race, feminism, video games, the music industry, mental health, growing up, and relationships. Inspired by the feminist bounty hunter protagonist of Nintendo's Metroid video game series, Enongo adopted the stage persona "Sammus" to tell her story and experiences through her music.

Enongo is many things. She is relatable, complicated, funny, passionate, and unique. She is an artist, a musician, a producer of her own beats, a master lyricist, a Black woman, a first-generation American of West African descent, an introvert, a gamer, a self-described "weirdo," a teacher, and a friend.

Chronicling everything from Sammus touring across North America to creating her latest album to her origins and upbringing, this documentary aims to share the emotional, inspiring journey of a polymath and genuine artist... but this will only be possible with your help!

Filming is nearing completion, and editing is well underway. We have all of the funds we need for final sound mix, color correction, and our original musical score. Almost everything we need is there. BUT, during the process of editing the film, we noticed that there was something extremely vital missing. Enongo herself is a fantastic orator and storyteller, but many essential anecdotes and experiences in her life were absent from our narrative on a cinematic level. We had little visual record of her past in the way we needed, and no way of visually showing what is going on inside her mind. Thus, we realized how to bring those separate but crucial chapters of her journey to life: through animation.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
It's cause Noname said she's done touring due to being uncomfortable performing to predominantly yt crowds.
Oh ok. Yea I'm surprised that's not talked about more. Every rap concert I've been to in Cali was a sea of white people. I think Donald Glover mentioned that in one of his old stand ups too.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I don't know if this is allow here, but there's an indiegogo project for a film that's very relevant to this community.

It's a documentary about a black rapper, her feminism inspired by Metroid, and a all star cast of animators featuring women of color for the animation segment. The project already reached the minimum required goal of 75% the other day, but there are a few days left. If anyone is interested in donating to the project.

Good looking out

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Could that be due to ticket pricing and other barriers?
That's a part of it. She has been lamenting being a Black artist and how a lot that success still hinges on white acceptance. She had a series of tweets talking about the audience. Then also how music criticisms and awards are still up to white folks. Whom clearly isn't her or other artists main demographic.

This of course follow wanted happened with Ari Lennox, Summer Walker, & etc.

The thing is a lot of this has come from Black female artists and not so much men. Which I think sucks.

And it makes you think the work you want to do and it's reach can really make you fall out of love with it.

She'll probably just stick to doing features but who knows. I hope she becomes an author too

Avixph

Oct 25, 2017
That's a part of it. She has been lamenting being a Black artist and how a lot that success still hinges on white acceptance. She had a series of tweets talking about the audience. Then also how music criticisms and awards are still up to white folks. Whom clearly isn't her or other artists main demographic.

This of course follow wanted happened with Ari Lennox, Summer Walker, & etc.

The thing is a lot of this has come from Black female artists and not so much men. Which I think sucks.

And it makes you think the work you want to do and it's reach can really make you fall out of love with it.

She'll probably just stick to doing features but who knows. I hope she becomes an author too
Thanks for the info, should've thought it was that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cow Mengde
I will keep an eye on that crowdfunding thanks for the heads up.

Ya know anytime someone brings up 'theyre japanese/asian' in racial discussions, ya ever grt the urge to ask them same people; then what skin colour are they?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

Thanks for the share

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Another tilt on the cosplay thing is that I feel like some of the weirdo's enforcing " you an OC " rules on people of color might be more racist that some of the manga and anime they like. There are mad creators who would just be happy people enjoyed their shit. I dunno we can have an entire conversation about folks feeling they got ownership over shit they happen to enjoy to the degree in which they feel like they can exclude others.

" I want license to make the entire soundtrack of black panther 2, MF DOOM "

God damn it I feel like I have recurring amnesia but only about how racist resident evil 5 was
I remember people having a whole ass argument with me about it at the old site. All that said, RE turned around made one of my favorite black characters ever in Keith. Hope homie comes back, motherfucker was rad

Nov 17, 2017
Another tilt on the cosplay thing is that I feel like some of the weirdo's enforcing " you an OC " rules on people of color might be more racist that some of the manga and anime they like. There are mad creators who would just be happy people enjoyed their shit. I dunno we can have an entire conversation about folks feeling they got ownership over shit they happen to enjoy to the degree in which they feel like they can exclude others.
They're saying we can't cosplay characters that aren't black but also they start throwing out endless defenses when anyone suggests the idea of having more diversity in anime/Japanese games. "There aren't any black people in Japan!" and other such excuses. So in essence, they're quarantining us to a tiny niche within the anime fandom/cosplay community. In essence in essence, they're saying we don't belong and they don't want us there.