The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Make a thread in the EtectEra Forum....at any point in time about your personal life, brehs.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
Could that be due to ticket pricing and other barriers?
Yes it has a lot to do with pricing. Gucci Mane came to Sacramento once and my friend said it was just him and a his group that had any melanin that he saw. Me and that same friend went with a group to a Travis Scott concert in Sac and it was the same story.

They also tried to start a stupid ass mosh pit that nearly had me suffocating. Like, I was legit on the ground at one point not able to breathe. I never wanting to put my hands on people so bad...

I can't stop listening to that Pokemon cypher...
Shofu?

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Curiously enough; what was wrong with black and brown characters in previous pokemon games?

Edit- wait hold up did prior pokemon games even let you change the skin color of ur chatacter?

Nov 17, 2017
Curiously enough; what was wrong with black and brown characters in previous pokemon games?

Edit- wait hold up did prior pokemon games even let you change the skin color of ur chatacter?
X and Y were the first games to let you change your character's skin tone. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire subsequently took it away but it came back in Sun and Moon. So it's really only been a thing for about 5-6 years with only 4 games in the series doing it.

Besides that I don't think there were many black and brown NPCs in the games until Black and White.

I can't stop listening to that Pokemon cypher...

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

SuperiorTrashTalk covered it well.

But to what he said and answer your question. I address it within the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs of my article.

Pokemon & Indivisible are literally the only games of this year that introduces you to prominent non white skin characters within 5 minutes of the game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
SuperiorTrashTalk covered it well.

But to what he said and answer your question. I address it within the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs of my article.

Pokemon & Indivisible are literally the only games of this year that introduces you to prominent non white skin characters within 5 minutes of the game.
i WAS on mobile at the time so I'll read through the article soon :3 Retweeting it as well.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Urban Scholar

Nice write up and I was quite impressed with how you brought up the diversity in the game. I can at least commend and appreciate Game Freak for that in SwSh.

Also, this is a bit late, but figured you'd like this

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

I wasn't expecting her to win to be honest.

But I think we really are going to end with another white man as president.
Kamala had little to no chance, but despite her bullshit I was still pulling for her. Kept imagining what that world would look like. But there is no way in hell this country as it is is going to let another black person in the white house. No way.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Good looks D i Z that's something to think about. Good thing I'm thinking of making a website to better house all my work

Vibe check tweet:

Article was written in 2018

Last edited:

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I see they've done work for other anime projects and studios in the video like Naruto and One Piece, but on their website it looks like they have a number of their own smaller projects and pilots (ex: a anime film for a country music album on Netflix called Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound and Fury). XOGENASYS and Tephlon Funk look to be collaborations with other Black creators/manga artists as well. Hopefully they can turn some of their pilots into series.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
I see they've done work for other anime projects and studios in the video like Naruto and One Piece, but on their website it looks like they have a number of their own smaller projects and pilots (ex: a anime film for a country music album on Netflix called Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound and Fury). XOGENASYS and Tephlon Funk look to be collaborations with other Black creators/manga artists as well. Hopefully they can turn some of their pilots into series.
Aww shit. I didn't have time to look. Thanks for the info

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really like that? I've never been to a concert before.
Like I wanna word this right. Black people don’t go to rappers concerts. We may go to see the oldies like Anita Baker, or those traveling rnb tours with Tank etc. but people seeing kanye, childish Gambino, Travis Scott etc are like 90% white. A buddy of mine went to the childish Gambino awaken my love tour and it was stark white in there and he was only doing soul and slower stuff

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Dropping a couple hundred on a concert when you living paycheck to paycheck ain’t the move for a lot of us so it adds up.

Sep 7, 2018
This is a great article shared by Noname
I did enjoy this article and they mentioned Broccoli City in there. I remember someone I knew going and the footage from there were mostly black people and according to the article I guess the prices at Broccoli Fest and AfroPunk are a lot cheaper than most concerts so I guess that explains a lot.

But I was also surprised to see how many white people go to Dragon Con. It's in a predominately black city, but it's mostly white people there. The same thing when I went to MagFest and Katsucon which are both in a predominately black area, but were so white, especially Katsucon. I wonder why that is?

Oct 27, 2017
I did enjoy this article and they mentioned Broccoli City in there. I remember someone I knew going and the footage from there were mostly black people and according to the article I guess the prices at Broccoli Fest and AfroPunk are a lot cheaper than most concerts so I guess that explains a lot.

But I was also surprised to see how many white people go to Dragon Con. It's in a predominately black city, but it's mostly white people there. The same thing when I went to MagFest and Katsucon which are both in a predominately black area, but were so white, especially Katsucon. I wonder why that is?
Honestly that’s advertising imo. I know cons exist because I frequent sites like this but I’ve never heard radio commercials or billboards for them. They aren’t particularly looking for black dollars

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
I just watched episode 6 of Watchmen
That was really cool what they did with Hooded Justice. It makes so much sense to have made him black. When I read Watchmen for the first time I thought it was such a weird choice to make a hero with a costume that sort of looks a black klan hood with a noose around the neck, but I could also see it looking like an executioner thing, but still I thought the shit was weird and disturbing and thought so all the way up until today.
They made it into a symbol of the unjust crimes committed on black people in America. it also made sense for a black man to be the first masked crime fighter because he would know firsthand that the justice system cannot be trusted. The book left the identity of Hooded Justice mysterious, but hinted that he might've been a circus strongman because of his build and the police found a strongman's body in the river after Hooded Justice went missing, but in here we find out exactly what happened to him. He quit the team because he was the only black person in it and when he tried to tell them that the Klan was manipulating black people to kill each other he called him crazy and told him he was on his own. Incredible episode and I felt for him when he saw his son putting on his costume. He did not want his son to go through the shit he just went through.

Now I'm going to watch episode 7.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I don't usually have a video game 'shit list', and if I did, I would have a diffuclt time remembering what is or was in it.
Right now I've decided to include one game: The Longest Journey.
May I never get the urge to play it ever again. Yeesh.

I just watched episode 6 of Watchmen
That was really cool what they did with Hooded Justice. It makes so much sense to have made him black. When I read Watchmen for the first time I thought it was such a weird choice to make a hero with a costume that sort of looks a black klan hood with a noose around the neck, but I could also see it looking like an executioner thing, but still I thought the shit was weird and disturbing and thought so all the way up until today.
They made it into a symbol of the unjust crimes committed on black people in America. The book left the identity of Hooded Justice mysterious, but hinted that he might've been a circus strongman because of his build and the police found a strongman's body in the river after Hooded Justice went missing, but in here we find out exactly what happened to him. He quit the team because he was the only black person in it and when he tried to tell them that the Klan was manipulating black people to kill each other he called him crazy and told him he was on his own. Incredible episode and I felt for him when he saw his son putting on his costume. He did not want his son to go through the shit he just went through.

Now I'm going to watch episode 7.
Before Watchmen comic series established that
Hooded Justice was black. It's been a VERY long time since I've read that series so I should someday reread to double check

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is anybody else wondering what’s trying to be told to is with the slate of black movies that are being thrown our way lately. It’s like Hollywood is passing around a memo that black trauma is in now.

like let’s take Waves for example. Great cinematography but it’s like instead of making a movie about the portrayal of this family, they go full blown Euphoria/ ABC family with the teen drama and it’s like everything bad is going to happen because we need drama

plus I’m pretty sure I saw this same tv/ movie with white people in the late 90’s early 2000’s