The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
I feel like talking to a brick wall on this site about Sapkowski, Witcher, CDPR. I don't think any of them are intentionally being obtuse about race. I'd like to see more discussions about how strong the women characters are in the fiction, but this is the internet, so folks would rather wallow in negativity.

I'm just spending time just reading everything with black characters that I can get my hands on. Even bought a HUGE trade paperback of Frank Miller's Martha Washington.

CRAP I left my copies of Far Sector in the car! BRB!!!!!
I really dig the writing of the women in the third game. Not big on the designs though.

I keep forgetting that I have Far Sector to share with some folks!

Dec 6, 2019
I really dig the writing of the women in the third game. Not big on the designs though.

I keep forgetting that I have Far Sector to share with some folks!
Oh yeah, the design of every woman certainly appeals to male gaze. The bath houses, the brothels. The one fencer chick who is turned on by Geralt's swordplay. Yeah, it's definitely a male power fantasy, even when playing as Ciri, who is denied a chance to get her rocks off. Gotta maintain that image of a pure maiden and all that!

When playing the game, I certainly thought every woman in the game being a model (even the bandits) was silly.

The writing of the women is great stuff. Looking forward to Season 2 of the Witcher when Milva and possibly Angoulême show up (Season 3 likely). Hopefully they channel some of Thronebreaker for the two times Queen Maeve shows up. And of course, who can forget about Phillipa! We're going to see more of Fringilla, too.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
Oh yeah, the design of every woman certainly appeals to male gaze. The bath houses, the brothels. The one fencer chick who is turned on by Geralt's swordplay. Yeah, it's definitely a male power fantasy, even when playing as Ciri, who is denied a chance to get her rocks off. Gotta maintain that image of a pure maiden and all that!

When playing the game, I certainly thought every woman in the game being a model (even the bandits) was silly.

The writing of the women is great stuff. Looking forward to Season 2 of the Witcher when Milva and possibly Angoulême show up (Season 3 likely). Hopefully they channel some of Thronebreaker for the two times Queen Maeve shows up. And of course, who can forget about Phillipa! We're going to see more of Fringilla, too.
Oh man, most of my exposure is based on the games (and now show) but I looooove Phillipa lolol.

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
Every time someone says Mr. Game & Watch is Black they pat themselves on the back for their original joke.
There's like 10+ people in the replies reusing Grenigga and UNIRONICALLY bringing up alternate color palette characters as black characters lmao. Oh and fucking Ganondorf lmfao.

Some people are actually bringing up the mii's/villager's/squidlings but I doubt it's in good faith lol.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
Man I really hate getting into arguments about shit with certain types of people on here. People get really condescending and also can't seem to follow an argument for shit.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
There's like 10+ people in the replies reusing Grenigga and UNIRONICALLY bringing up alternate color palette characters as black characters lmao. Oh and fucking Ganondorf lmfao.

Some people are actually bringing up the mii's/villager's/squidlings but I doubt it's in good faith lol.
It's never going to be in good faith. General population of gamers don't give a damn if we aren't included but care a lot and call it "forced" if we are.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

It just goes to show you people do not respect our Blackness.

I'm now far removed from caring or considering whiteness in lieu of Blackness. The majority can not care and be racist all they want. We are now moving to times where your racism & lack of speaking against it will work against you.

Anyway, I'll say it now. I'm going to publish quiet a few articles this year that will make people whom arent melanated or queer highly uncomfortable. & it's going to be great

Nov 17, 2017

Yeah it’s not at all in good faith. There’s a mixture of people who are just being racist shit heads with bad jokes and people who are trying to shut up black people for wanting representation in games. “Look, Ganondorf is brown-ish (and a villain) can’t you just be happy with that and stop criticizing my video games?”

And you just KNOW those accounts making nigga puns are not black. 100%.

Dec 6, 2019
Every time someone says Mr. Game & Watch is Black they pat themselves on the back for their original joke.
I mean, we're talking about a show that doesn't have a single black character to such a degree that we joke that a green dude is the black guy. And then Uub comes at the very tail end of the DBZ saga.

Memes are memes, but I don't want anyone fooling themselves into placing Dragon Ball (a great deal of anime, really) on the same plain as Boondocks.

I've seen folks do similar things with Naruto.

Nov 17, 2017
I mean, we're talking about a show that doesn't have a single black character to such a degree that we joke that a green dude is the black guy. And then Uub comes at the very tail end of the DBZ saga.

Memes are memes, but I don't want anyone fooling themselves into placing Dragon Ball (a great deal of anime, really) on the same plain as Boondocks.

I've seen folks do similar things with Naruto.
Yeah, us black anime and video game fans have dealt with very low quantity and quality representation for a long time. It's not surprising that over the years we have associated certain characters with blackness such as Piccolo or Knuckles the Echidna. We were basically trying to find ourselves anywhere we possibly could. That doesn't really bother me. Black Smash players aren't seriously looking to Mr. Game & Watch as some sort of surrogate black representation and non-black (read: white) Smash players know it. They just use Mr. Game & Watch as a dismissal to representation concerns while also mocking black players with a shallow racist joke. That's why that shit puts me off. I've cut contact with people over that shit.

And yeah, like you said, characters like Piccolo can never actually be real representation for black people. Naruto at least has actual black characters so you don't have to joke a character is black-like. It's even nice because pretty much all Naruto fans will say the black characters are black unlike a lot of cases where you'll have people arguing characters are tanned, Okinawan or something else. I swear, on one side you got people trying to say a LCD sprite is good enough representation for black people while on the other side you've got people going as far as possible to deny any brown anime/video game characters is not actually black.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
The underlying issue of the representation thing is that it seems like at any point in African American history, our culture and talent is appreciated but our humanity is completely disregarded. As long as we're super talented at basically everything and as long as we continue to drive American culture by ourselves, we'll keep getting marginalized and thrown into the trashcan once we are fully milked of our creativity.

Black people want to be treated like humans? lmao! - America for the last 4 centuries.

Dec 6, 2019
I actually didn't know there were black characters in Naruto. I'll try not to speak too much about stuff I don't know about. More power to black cosplayers who brave those realms where they're told they can't because they're black. Big ups to King Vader, too.

The underlying issue of the representation thing is that it seems like at any point in African American history, our culture and talent is appreciated but our humanity is completely disregarded. As long as we're super talented at basically everything and as long as we continue to drive American culture by ourselves, we'll keep getting marginalized and thrown into the trashcan once we are fully milked of our creativity.

Black people want to be treated like humans? lmao! - America for the last 4 centuries.
I showed a child who though they were doing a "generic Fortnite dance" a clip from Scrubs where Turk dances to poison. They thought the guy was copying the Fortnite dance, so then we looked up Scrubs, which aired in 2001. BLEW THEIR MINDS!

Black Appropriation is so normalized, there are generations struggling to recognize when and where it is happening. I mean, you can spend two seconds on Twitter and see people copying the vernacular.

Anyway, that's why last year, I decided to "Cheer for Everybody Black." Like, I'm unashamedly doing everything black. TV, Movies (I even went back to watch Juanita and Native Son and suffered through Shaft) Books...even buying games with black characters for that reason only and specirically.

Minus Wargroove because those devs thought this was okay.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I showed a child who though they were doing a "generic Fortnite dance" a clip from Scrubs where Turk dances to poison. They thought the guy was copying the Fortnite dance, so then we looked up Scrubs, which aired in 2001. BLEW THEIR MINDS!

Black Appropriation is so normalized, there are generations struggling to recognize when and where it is happening. I mean, you can spend two seconds on Twitter and see people copying the vernacular.
Big ups

Last edited:

Ojhe

Apr 13, 2018
Bronx
I actually didn't know there were black characters in Naruto. I'll try not to speak too much about stuff I don't know about. More power to black cosplayers who brave those realms where they're told they can't because they're black. Big ups to King Vader, too.
Yeah they got a whole village full of black people that use lightning (because of fucking course it's always lightning powers lmfao)

Anyway, that's why last year, I decided to "Cheer for Everybody Black." Like, I'm unashamedly doing everything black. TV, Movies (I even went back to watch Juanita and Native Son and suffered through Shaft) Books...even buying games with black characters for that reason only and specirically.
The crazy thing about this, I've been doing this subconsciously my whole life. Like I just don't consume media that doesn't have black people in it or play games that don't allow me to black in em. (Which has lead to me being extremely media illiterate to the ire of everyone around me). Even on this site people get shocked when they actually see diversity doing it's job. (Some people got mad at me cus I said Finn was the only reason I ever got interested in Star Wars at all) lmfao.

The chorus of Sue Me by Wale sums up my mindset at this point
Sue me, l'm rootin' for everybody that's black, yeah, uh huh, yeah
Sue me, I'm rootin' for everybody that's black, yo, yo yo, look, look
Sue me, I'm rootin' for everybody that's black
Spent 'bout two racks on handmade durags
Sue me, I'm rootin' for everybody that's black
That's everybody from sports to college class to rap, and back

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

Louder for the melanin deprived

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

Right, right.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
There is a HUGE problem if I lose the urge to play your videogame because you fail to restrict people from having nigga jokes or your flavor of phobia in their name or clan tags (this is in Modern Warfare). I know its hard to manage such a toxic community, but come on now. Some fucking filter restrictions would be nice.

I was really close to making a thread in Gaming to vent about this, but I would lose my mind the second someone comes in with some fuckshit.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
There is a HUGE problem if I lose the urge to play your videogame because you fail to restrict people from having nigga jokes or your flavor of phobia in their name or clan tags (this is in Modern Warfare). I know its hard to manage such a toxic community, but come on now. Some fucking filter restrictions would be nice.

I was really close to making a thread in Gaming to vent about this, but I would lose my mind the second someone comes in with some fuckshit.
Man I bought Mordhau and had to watch the developers go "well we can't do anything about racism" and couldn't get the shit refunded.

I feel your pain, and it cannot be that hard for big ass companies to do something about it. Like how hard is it to ban a swastika symbol if it's reported?

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
10 years of Bayonetta & 34 years of me!
Wait it's your birthday?

That's really unfortunate and really telling. So much for being fair and respectful