• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 7 days, 12 hours, 21 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
All of this is a summary and rough. I would ask you read both goodbye post from them on the site. They explain better.

Kotaku lost 1 Black & Brown person. So their staf being diverse literally took a dive.

But the main reason Gita & Josh left Kotaku, is because of what happened at Dead Spin. The rich dude that owns the over media company told dead spin to stick to sports only. They didnt because a good website makes thoughtful work.

Then deadspin eventually all left, all of them. Folks that are a part of the media company formed a union to protect themselves against douche bag rich guy owner.

Anyway his whole thing is stick to what you're supposed to do. That means writing about real diverse shit and the space being inclusive isn't really a thing because of it.

Thus we have another gaming site that got less diverse because of it. And they both also high key that games journalism as is isn't an industry for younger, queer and Black folks.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
All of this is a summary and rough. I would ask you read both goodbye post from them on the site. They explain better.

Kotaku lost 1 Black & Brown person. So their staf being diverse literally took a dive.

But the main reason Gita & Josh left Kotaku, is because of what happened at Dead Spin. The rich dude that owns the over media company told dead spin to stick to sports only. They didnt because a good website makes thoughtful work.

Then deadspin eventually all left, all of them. Folks that are a part of the media company formed a union to protect themselves against douche bag rich guy owner.

Anyway his whole thing is stick to what you're supposed to do. That means writing about real diverse shit and the space being inclusive isn't really a thing because of it.

Thus we have another gaming site that got less diverse because of it. And they both also high key that games journalism as is isn't an industry for younger, queer and Black folks.
Oh I'm aware, but the site has been dead on participation since this move so I'm just cocking my head at a second declaration of "we out"from the company. Should have bounced when it was all still fresh in every ones eyes to get ahead of everyone else leaving that got those spots. I guess they got they new places set up before they decided to make that move though. Games Journos gonna learn the hard way that people aren't into what they write unless they are invested in them somehow.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh I'm aware, but the site has been dead on participation since this move so I'm just cocking my head at a second declaration of "we out"from the company. Should have bounced when it was all still fresh in every ones eyes to get ahead of everyone else leaving that got those spots. I guess they got they new places set up before they decided to make that move though. Games Journos gonna learn the hard way that people aren't into what they write unless they are invested in them somehow.
I guess. I personally hate that what a website makes is dictated by a rich asshole whom doesn't care or gets journalism.

And a lot of people still don't understand what good journalism is if it came and punches them in the face.

It doesn't say a lot for the future and the space still not being a place for folks whom aren't white

But whatever I guess

Last edited:
OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I guess. I personally hate that what a website makes is dictated by a rich asshole whom doesn't care or gets journalism.

And a lot of people still don't understand what good journalism is if it came and punches them in the face.

It doesn't say a lot for the future and the space still not being a place for folks whom aren't white

But whatever I guess

We are talking about Kotaku, so I'll side eye some of this, and walk back some of my own comments.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Any y'all played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 recently?
Currently going though it and while it has 'style', the shooting is pretty...well it's passable I guess? Though the fact that you need to zoom in every time you want your bullets to better hit their target is lame.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Stay away from DNA tests
Never going to learn about my ancestry, yay

Also, Unc Trick got did wrong by his barber smh
23andMe has been garbage for a minute. African Ancestry (Black Owned) is supposed to be really good and claims to destroy the data after the tests are done/not to sell anything. African Ancestry is expensive though, so a more "affordable" alternative is Ancestry.com which also claims not to sell data to authorities/third parties.

Last edited:

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
I actually did try ancestry.com some years ago and it couldn't find anything past my mom. Have they gotten better with their results?

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I actually did try ancestry.com some years ago and it couldn't find anything past my mom. Have they gotten better with their results?
Ancestry.com claims to update their information as they get more data/a larger database of users. If you still have an account, I'd login and see if they've added any more useful information.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
The risks are very real. A new landmark study that tracked almost 47,000 American women over eight years has found that using permanent hair dye increases a black woman’s risk of breast cancer by 45%, compared to an increased risk of 7% in white women.

The more frequently women colored their hair, the greater the risk, rising to 60% for black women who used permanent dyes at least every five to eight weeks. Prior studies on the link between hair dye use and cancer had been inconsistent.
The researchers found that regardless of race, using hair straighteners at least every five to eight weeks increased the risk of breast cancer by 31%. About 74% of black women reported using chemical straighteners compared to only 3% of white women.

“Black women straighten their hair to assimilate,” said Amelia Govan, 31, a sales rep who as a teenager straightened her hair every month. “We have to fit in – you never see black women with braids working in corporate.”

*Update* VIBE reached out to the Silent Springs Institute for a list of products tested for endocrine disrupting ingredients which include: Luster's Pink Classic Light Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion, Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise, ORC Fertilizing Serum, ORC Carrot and Olive Oil, Alberto V05 Moisturizing Oil, John Frieda Collection's Frizz-Ease Hair Serum, Soft & Beautiful “Just for Me” No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer and Broner Brother’s Maximum Strength SuperGro Conditioner with Vitamin E.

However, consumers should keep in the mind that other products not tested for the study may contain the same hazardous chemicals.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

Yeahhh I'm going to have to share this info :/

Thanks for sharing

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL
Jharrel said his dream acting role would be to play live action Miles Morales.

After seeing him in When They See Us, he has range and talent to play anything.

I'd love to see him do it.

Donate or share if you can to help a Black lady out

Last edited:

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
It's more disappointing that Bloomberg, Biden, Buttigieg, and Gabbard are still in the primary.
^. Really don't get people "celebrating" the likes of Booker and Castro leaving/"thinning the herd", while we still have these terrible candidates left. Hopefully we at least get Tulsi out of here before primaries elections start.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
^. Really don't get people "celebrating" the likes of Booker and Castro leaving/"thinning the herd", while we still have these terrible candidates left. Hopefully we at least get Tulsi out of here before primaries elections start.
It's looking more likely that Biden will be the democratic candidate. I'm not looking forward to that.

Dec 6, 2019
She was also against the impeachment.
Of course she was.

Small sample size, but it seems to me that the women in legislature who get the most spotlight happen to be centrist/conservative.

The suppression of "the Squad" is real. I don't hear/read about them much anymore. I stopped going to AOC's Twitter because if she says anything, the bots come out of the woodwork.

And yeah, I'm preparing myself for a Biden candidacy.

Thing is, no matter what, hatred for POTUS will never garner the energy that love for Obama did. How is it that the DNC not copy that formula?