The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Oct 27, 2017
Soo I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but what happened with Shy? I keep hearing crazy bits and pieces from the Staff Community thread thing, but I don't really know the details...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
it's depressing that people like this exist all over places of power
Yep. It's a testament to the resilience of marginalized artists all over Hollywood who have or currently deal with people like Weinstein and still manage to eke out at least a few works of honest art.
---
Anyone read any of the output from Boss Fight Books? It's a small press outfit for analyses on single video games. I've had them bookmarked for a long time and really want to read the Spelunky and NBA Jam books myself but haven't taken the plunge. I'm debating just going all in on one of their multipacks.

And semi-related, I actually stumbled on this GDC talk from last year discussing indie game development in Africa:

Last edited:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who doesn't speak in the OT, thanks for making the Staff Meeting thread public for those to see.
I don't have anything major to add to that thread that wasn't already said (the language policing and the shit like "racism not in europe" type comments ive seen before)

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
In 1935, Merle Oberon became the first biracial actress to be nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, an incredible achievement in then-segregated Hollywood -- except that nobody in Hollywood knew Oberon was biracial. Born in Bombay into abject poverty in 1911, Oberon's fate seemed sealed in her racist colonial society. But a series of events, lies, men and an obsession with controlling her own image -- even if it meant bleaching her own skin -- changed Oberon's path forever

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
Woke up and read the meeting thread. so how do I get added to the discord? maybe I'll post more often now if things get better here.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
For those not following/reading the Staff Thread , there's discussion going on about this community thread and how to better protect it from off site attacks in addition to improving overall activity in the thread. If anyone in this community has suggestions or opinions about some of the current suggestions (ex: Moving the thread to the EtcetEra section while making it visible to members only), please share it in the Staff Thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what everyone here's been hearing about the primary this year from their parents. Obviously the biggest trend that everyone's been discussing is older black voters going for Biden but surprisingly my mom (who's never missed a presidential election since she became a citizen) hasn't been into him at all.

So I'm wondering what everybody else has been experiencing.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm curious what everyone here's been hearing about the primary this year from their parents. Obviously the biggest trend that everyone's been discussing is older black voters going for Biden but surprisingly my mom (who's never missed a presidential election since she became a citizen) hasn't been into him at all.

My mama wants to vote for biden scust, my father would like to see Warren

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018

Both my parents are for Biden, but my mom wanted Beto before he dropped out. Idk about my mom, but dad says he wants Biden because he believes he is more likely to beat Trump. Neither are really excited about voting for him.

Spinluck do you think I could get a discord invite as well?

Last edited:

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
Just wondering, if anyone here is atheist and has religious parents have you told your parents about it? My family is Nigerian so pretty much everyone in my family is either Muslim or Christian, but I was raised in a Christian household.
I’m honestly not sure if I should tell them or not, especially since I’m still in college and dependent on them for living space. Just tired of being forced to go to church every time and hearing homophobia when I’m around. Can still remember my mother joking around with a friend saying that she probably would kick me out of the house if I ever said I was gay.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, if anyone here is atheist and has religious parents have you told your parents about it? My family is Nigerian so pretty much everyone in my family is either Muslim or Christian, but I was raised in a Christian household.
I’m honestly not sure if I should tell them or not, especially since I’m still in college and dependent on them for living space. Just tired of being forced to go to church every time and hearing homophobia when I’m around. Can still remember my mother joking around with a friend saying that she probably would kick me out of the house if I ever said I was gay.
I can relate to this a bit. My personal advice would be to focus on your safety and well-being. Perhaps wait until you're independent and don't have to worry about the backlash as much?

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Would post in the thread, but most of what has been said has been said, i doubt i could add anything to it.

I havent gone through all 300 pages of this thread so its prob been asked before, but how do any mixed people deal with the fact that you are not good enough for either side? from family, society at large, etc. Shit sucks not feeling like you belong ANYWHERE.

Kenstar

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'd wait it out if I were you, until you were on your own 2 feet
but don't be like me and wait so long even after you have no dependence on them to put your foot down (I still haven't said anything)

Would post in the thread, but most of what has been said has been said, i doubt i could add anything to it.

I havent gone through all 300 pages of this thread so its prob been asked before, but how do any mixed people deal with the fact that you are not good enough for either side? from family, society at large, etc. Shit sucks not feeling like you belong ANYWHERE.
How are you being treated and by who?
When I was in HS I remember someone pointing out that the class had somehow self selected into a light and dark skin side, and I didn't even realize it.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wait it out if I were you, until you were on your own 2 feet
but don't be like me and wait so long even after you have no dependence on them to put your foot down (I still haven't said anything)

How are you being treated and by who?
When I was in HS I remember someone pointing out that the class had somehow self selected into a light and dark skin side, and I didn't even realize it.
It’s the usual not black enough for the west Indian side of my family and of course not asian enough for the asian side of family. Growing up in Chinatown also did me no favors. Aside from a few cousins my family is pretty segmented.
In school any group i tried to hang out with i never felt i fit in. It has caused me a ton of esteem issues throughout life.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Depends on where you are in all of the ways that makes sense. I have mixed relatives that left for a minute and are kinda back (i'm not in the same country, so I am looking through a scope). I've even gotten it for using outdated terms myself. All that said we recognize anybody coming in here without looking at heritage. Unless you're a hateful ass, then gtfo. But seriously, welcome, pull up a chair.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

my parents are trump supporters

so that's been fun

Dec 6, 2019

My dad was a Bernie-bro in 2016. Nothing has changed with him.

My mom is "anyone but Trump." I'm kinda the same, but I will admit that though I don't think Bloomberg or Booty have a snowball's chance in hell to win the DNC nom, what they're demonstrating is that the GOP has accomplished its mission of moving the democratic party so far right that the DNC is re-writing the rules so that Mr. Stop and Frisk can actually have a "legit" shot.

This country is majority brown but whites are still the hegemony. When we are finally able to come to power, I wonder what will be left of it.

my parents are trump supporters

so that's been fun
Are they black?