The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
I suppose I'll make it a point to be more active in this thread.

Y'all still ain't shit, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone. I saw the meeting thread and figured this would be a good time to introduce myself. I've been a lurking member for years now but seeing how certain threads have played out as well as the harassment campaigns, really soured me on posting consistently. I decided that if I have the energy, I'll do more to speak up on issues if someone says something sideways. Seeing how that's an inevitability, hopefully this community can be a nice haven from the bullshit.

I'm black, non-binary ( please don't call me ' enbie/enby ' ), disabled and an aging millennial. I live on the East Coast. I like anime ( but am very picky ) and sometimes I play video games ( mostly VNs and JRPGS ).

I recognize a lot of posters and see some new faces too.
Nice to formerly meet all of you!
Heyas and Welcome! Glad to have you and the rest ^^

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
Wow so many people who feel the same about posting about black issues. It really highlights the problems here.
I know, it feels good to not be alone. Thanks for the welcome.

I am a black woman. I'm originally from Newark, NJ but I live in Bloomfield, NJ (where I just got profiled while taking out my trash in a gated community). I do play some games and I'm trying to get back into anime with little success. I really love hockey. I also live next door to a popeyes and I love it. I mostly post in era community discords these days. There's a lot less drama there.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm the same as other posters: I saw the BCC Meeting thread and wanted to introduce myself. I tend to stay away from too heated conversations because I never wanted to generate any heat, you know?

Anyway, my introduction! My name is O'mar, but you can call me O' (or Instant, or whatever).

Where you're from - The same place as Missy Elliott (who went to school with and graduated with my aunt in 1990) P-Town, VA
Where you live - Currently in the DMV
What is your age? - OLD. (38)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Southern Black. That's all I got right now.
Do you know your roots - A lot I got from my grandfather, who was the last son of a freed slave. Too much to detail here.
Favorite musical genre - Hip-Hop
Your profession/major/career interest - Technical Support/Help Desk/Consultant
Your religious affiliation - Spiritual (used to be Baptist)
Hobbies - Reading, Video Games, Foodie, Random Math Problems
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's for the chicken, Churches for the biscuits.
Marvel or DC? - IT'S MAHVAL, BABY!
Favorite superhero? - Peter Benjamin Parker
Anime or Nah? - Yes., but I haven't gotten into a new series in YEARS.
Favorite sport and team? - NBA, and I don't have a team, I just enjoy the game.
What's your favorite video game and genre? - Tetris is my favorite of all time and genre is probably JRPGs.

So, hello everyone! Please feel free to PM me if you want to have a conversation about anything (but I know nothing; call me Jon Snow) (also, I never watched a single episode of GoT) (or anything recent outside of Atlanta, One Day At A Time, and Killing Eve. OH, and Miz and Mrs.)

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I guess I'm the same as other posters: I saw the BCC Meeting thread and wanted to introduce myself. I tend to stay away from too heated conversations because I never wanted to generate any heat, you know?

Anyway, my introduction! My name is O'mar, but you can call me O' (or Instant, or whatever).

Where you're from - The same place as Missy Elliott (who went to school with and graduated with my aunt in 1990) P-Town, VA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Southern Black. That's all I got right now.
Do you know your roots - A lot I got from my grandfather, who was the last son of a freed slave. Too much to detail here.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's for the chicken, Churches for the biscuits.
What's your favorite video game and genre? - Tetris is my favorite of all time and genre is probably JRPGs.

So, hello everyone! Please feel free to PM me if you want to have a conversation about anything (but I know nothing; call me Jon Snow) (also, I never watched a single episode of GoT) (or anything recent outside of Atlanta, One Day At A Time, and Killing Eve. OH, and Miz and Mrs.)

I appreciate that you actually did all of that. Welcome.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
Ayy, new frens :]

I need to post more, but I stay exhausted from so much work and school that I just have time to shitpost in the NBA thread as I'm watching games

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Actually cool as fuck to go into that much detail

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
I have a little problem that I would like you all to help me with.

Some background:

I’m in my late 30s (black) and recently got my first bachelors in 2018 in computer science. I’ve mostly worked in retail since I was 17 and, now that I have a degree, want to put it to some use for me and my family. I started working contract work in IT with a world famous hospital back in August, but that job only paid $15 and the project kept running out of money so there would be weeks where I didn’t have any income.

I switched subcontractors and will start making $20 this coming Monday with actual benefits and everything. My problem? When they started downsizing the project, I saw the writing on the wall and did many interviews and applications. I just got a call today from a company that said everyone loved me and I nailed the technical interview. They want me to come in next Wednesday for the last interview and I think they’re going to give me an offer between $5-10 more per hour in a mobile development position. This position would be contract to hire I believe and I get to work from home.

The job I committed to seems safer but this new job would potentially open more doors in software development which is the field I really want to get into. I want to do right by my family and don’t want to be ass out if the remote job doesn’t work out. Thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017

Some background:

I’m in my late 30s (black) and recently got my first bachelors in 2018 in computer science. I’ve mostly worked in retail since I was 17 and, now that I have a degree, want to put it to some use for me and my family. I started working contract work in IT with a world famous hospital back in August, but that job only paid $15 and the project kept running out of money so there would be weeks where I didn’t have any income.

I switched subcontractors and will start making $20 this coming Monday with actual benefits and everything. My problem? When they started downsizing the project, I saw the writing on the wall and did many interviews and applications. I just got a call today from a company that said everyone loved me and I nailed the technical interview. They want me to come in next Wednesday for the last interview and I think they’re going to give me an offer between $5-10 more per hour in a mobile development position. This position would be contract to hire I believe and I get to work from home.

The job I committed to seems safer but this new job would potentially open more doors in software development which is the field I really want to get into. I want to do right by my family and don’t want to be ass out if the remote job doesn’t work out. Thoughts?
This is a tough one, but a little more information should make the decision clearer for you.

Take the interview and during it, ask the important questions: what is the pay rate/salary, what is expected of me during this contracted time, and finally, realistically speaking, how possible is it for me to go from contract to hire?

Once they give you those answers, you should be able to tell if it'll be a good fit and a right decision for you or not.

I wish you well on your interview!

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough one, but a little more information should make the decision clearer for you.

Take the interview and during it, ask the important questions: what is the pay rate/salary, what is expected of me during this contracted time, and finally, realistically speaking, how possible is it for me to go from contract to hire?

Once they give you those answers, you should be able to tell if it'll be a good fit and a right decision for you or not.

I wish you well on your interview!
Thanks! I talked with the wife and decided to just see what happens. I think worst case of I get an offer and go for it but it ends up sucking, I can always have it on record that I was a software developer.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

Some background:

In the IT world, contract jobs come and go quickly. It's a blessing and a curse: it can be beneficial to be able to land a job very soon after being let go or if you grow tired of your current job. The bad? Exactly what you're going through with the $15 job... shit comes and goes quickly. IT funding is expensive and a lot of times, companies run out of cash for whatever project they're working on. There's also the question of benefits and such. I prefer working for a company as an employee rather than a contractor, but would probably jump on a contract if it's a great opportunity.

I assume you're in software development? If so, take what's best for you at the moment and learn. Learn as much as you can and garner skills and certificates. After 2-3 years, you can safely demand higher wages and have more options for job opportunities.

I'm a systems engineer, so I deal with infrastructure more than development. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dec 6, 2019
Today in the adventures of Token Black Guy,

The white men discussed how they can't get behind any of the Democratic candidates because they don't know what their platform is. Is it universal health Care? Eliminating college debt? Is it criminal Justice reform?

I don't know what any of them stand for, one man said.

Yeah, another man agreed. At least with Trump, his policies made sense. Build the wall. Bad hombres. Ban the Muslims. Pat her on the cooch when she goes to make you a sandwich.

Other man agreed.

In other words, F***k women and minorities" is easier to digest than social justice.

And this might not even be the worst thing I have experienced in the past 24 hours at work.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
In the IT world, contract jobs come and go quickly. It's a blessing and a curse: it can be beneficial to be able to land a job very soon after being let go or if you grow tired of your current job. The bad? Exactly what you're going through with the $15 job... shit comes and goes quickly. IT funding is expensive and a lot of times, companies run out of cash for whatever project they're working on. There's also the question of benefits and such. I prefer working for a company as an employee rather than a contractor, but would probably jump on a contract if it's a great opportunity.

I assume you're in software development? If so, take what's best for you at the moment and learn. Learn as much as you can and garner skills and certificates. After 2-3 years, you can safely demand higher wages and have more options for job opportunities.

I'm a systems engineer, so I deal with infrastructure more than development. Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks a lot! Monday I start desktop support for the Clinic and thats the kind of work I've been doing the last 8 months for the most part. I've been trying to get into development since I graduated, but everyone here wants 3-5 years experience at entry level. I only got into contract work so I have some sort of relevant experience towards the next job and a way into the market. Shits hard man.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot! Monday I start desktop support for the Clinic and thats the kind of work I've been doing the last 8 months for the most part. I've been trying to get into development since I graduated, but everyone here wants 3-5 years experience at entry level. I only got into contract work so I have some sort of relevant experience towards the next job and a way into the market. Shits hard man.
Yup. Take the job especially if it pays more and has benefits for you and your family. Like I said, use this opportunity to not only excel at desktop support, but take the time to study and pass exams to earn certs. Your degree is a huge benefit but without experience and certs, you won't find a lot of good paying entry level jobs if at all.

And maybe a Dev position will open up with the clinic. You never know. Good luck!

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017

The white men discussed how they can't get behind any of the Democratic candidates because they don't know what their platform is. Is it universal health Care? Eliminating college debt? Is it criminal Justice reform?

Yeah, another man agreed. At least with Trump, his policies made sense. Build the wall. Bad hombres. Ban the Muslims. Pat her on the cooch when she goes to make you a sandwich.

Other man agreed.

In other words, F***k women and minorities" is easier to digest than social justice.

And this might not even be the worst thing I have experienced in the past 24 hours at work.
And I am guessing there is no way you can go to HR, and make things justifiably uncomfortable for these losers?

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Something I wanted to share. The lovely spider drew me as a chibi paladin.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
It's so cute.

Other man agreed.

That's disgusting. Sorry you had to hear that. Was this at work?

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017

Other man agreed.

That’s nasty. To put it kindly.

Something I wanted to share. The lovely spider drew me as a chibi paladin.

[Hidden content]

It's so cute.

That's disgusting. Sorry you had to hear that. Was this at work?
Now that’s awesome. 😊

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

Other man agreed.

Now this I can relate with

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
I’ve stopped screaming internally at such things. I speak out but to be clear I’m at a point in my career where I can do what I want plus I’m in the union. It’s my thing to speak up. Which I do. Most of the times. It’s so damn annoying so often you just give them the stank eye until the go away.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of racism at my job, but thankfully not from coworkers. Anything from "Your English is very good, isn't it?" (why wouldn't it be?) to "Your hair is beautiful" (even if it's covered and they can't see it, so how do they know?).

Although, the craziest racist nonsense I heard from a customer was this old lady who told me one of her great grandmothers was a black slave (the rest of her family were/are white), so she should have dark skin like me, but god forgot to put her in the oven. I just stood there and blinked at her in astonishment.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of racism at my job, but thankfully not from coworkers. Anything from "Your English is very good, isn't it?" (why wouldn't it be?) to "Your hair is beautiful" (even if it's covered and they can't see it, so how do they know?).

Although, the craziest racist nonsense I heard from a customer was this old lady who told me one of her great grandmothers was a black slave (the rest of her family were/are white), so she should have dark skin like me, but god forgot to put her in the oven. I just stood there and blinked at her in astonishment.
In some weird, racist way, she was trying to identify with you. It's happened to me as well.

Oh and small comments like "You speak so well" and "You're so straight cut"...

Nov 17, 2017
Hey everyone. I saw the meeting thread and figured this would be a good time to introduce myself. I've been a lurking member for years now but seeing how certain threads have played out as well as the harassment campaigns, really soured me on posting consistently. I decided that if I have the energy, I'll do more to speak up on issues if someone says something sideways. Seeing how that's an inevitability, hopefully this community can be a nice haven from the bullshit.

I'm black, non-binary ( please don't call me ' enbie/enby ' ), disabled and an aging millennial. I live on the East Coast. I like anime ( but am very picky ) and sometimes I play video games ( mostly VNs and JRPGS ).

I recognize a lot of posters and see some new faces too.
Nice to formerly meet all of you!
I know you... I got lost in you for hours trying find out where the hell Ultima was.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In some weird, racist way, she was trying to identify with you. It's happened to me as well.

Oh and small comments like "You speak so well" and "You're so straight cut"...
Yeah, I got that sense too, which was pretty uncomfortable.

Speaking of straight cut... I remember a supply teacher at my secondary school was really confused, because I was so well behaved, but a lot of the other black and migrant kids weren't. I asked them if they thought it was in our genes to misbehave and be rowdy or something.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Miami, FL

Yeah, I got that sense too, which was pretty uncomfortable.

Speaking of straight cut... I remember a supply teacher at my secondary school was really confused, because I was so well behaved, but a lot of the other black and migrant kids weren't. I asked them if they thought it was in our genes to misbehave and be rowdy or something.

*Internal screaming. Ahhh, ahhh*