The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

Nov 17, 2017
god forgot to put her in the oven.
This reminds me of something I heard in the 1st grade. I recall very little from that time but I remember being at school and a kid explaining a story their parents told them to others in the class about how humans are all like gingerbread men that God made and white people were made just right but black people were left in the oven for too long. It stuck in my mind because even back then, I realized how fucked up and racist it was but neither me or the kid who said it really had the full capacity to understand it. It really wasn't until I was older that I thought back to it and was like "What the fuck...?"

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
I started participating in this local Bay Area Discord group that I found on Reddit that hosts regular meetups, and it has been pretty eye opening. I've never really had friends in real life who I'd consider nerdy, and this is really my first time pursuing it outside of the internet, but I'm seeing first hand how ignorant the demographic really is.

I was having a discussion yesterday with a few people yesterday regarding 4chan, and why I believe the community to be unquestionably racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and thoroughly bigoted. Whereas they kept parading the bullshit line that the site hates on everyone equally, and that it's all for laughs. And I'm like "all groups?" And they're like "yup." And when I asked how often a non-rural straight white male would have their existence and/or identity attacked on the site, "they're like uhhhhh..."

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of something I heard in the 1st grade. I recall very little from that time but I remember being at school and a kid explaining a story their parents told them to others in the class about how humans are all like gingerbread men that God made and white people were made just right but black people were left in the oven for too long. It stuck in my mind because even back then, I realized how fucked up and racist it was but neither me or the kid who said it really had the full capacity to understand it. It really wasn't until I was older that I thought back to it and was like "What the fuck...?"
Jesus... -_-

someday

Oct 25, 2017
In this analogy, white people should be the equivalent of being raw/undercooked and the rest of us were actually cooked with love and turned out just right. In what world does something cooked come out of the oven white/pink? But they never think about it like that.

Nov 17, 2017
In this analogy, white people should be the equivalent of being raw/undercooked and the rest of us were actually cooked with love and turned out just right. In what world does something cooked come out of the oven white/pink? But they never think about it like that.
You would think so, right? Well, I doubt the kid really thought about it that much, they were just repeating something they heard. That was the most fucked up part about it. I remember it being said in an innocent way, like not as an insult. So their parents or whoever they heard it from must have just stated it as simple a matter of fact thing and so the kid obviously didn't see anything wrong with what they said.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how we can pick up on problematic things as children, even though we don't have the language to unpack it. I have some memories of this from playing video games with sexist tropes as a kid. Feeling uncomfortable or disappointed and not knowing why.

Something that's not on nearly the same scale as the other incidents mentioned here, but I remember the first time I felt like a token, without realising what that was. In primary school, we learnt about MLK during a morning assembly. At the end, the headteacher basically said that the white and black kids should play together during break that day, because he'd be smiling down from heaven while watching us. And a white girl approached me, with innocent and sincere intentions I'm sure, and basically repeated what the headteacher said. She obviously had the right intentions, but I still felt uncomfortable, and couldn't really place why. And of course no one really remembered this lesson afterwards, and things were back to normal the next day.

It's kind of funny because all of the primary schools I went to were overwhelmingly white, but my secondary school was like 70% ethnic minorities and migrants/refugees. And I remember how as soon as I started secondary school, I felt... so at home, and was not made to feel othered for the first time in my life. It was really refreshing to be around people who looked like me, and to not feel alien for once. So despite my secondary school being pretty poor and underfunded (and some of the teachers were racist), I enjoyed it far more than any of the primary schools I went to.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all. Been lurking in this thread for a while and after reading the meeting thread I guess I should say hi. Not sure how much I will post because I feel like this isn't exactly my community to be posting in (me being British and mixed lol).
I will say I'm growing a "mini-fro" right now after having my hair short my whole life and it's going really well. I don't know how far I'm gonna grow it before I'm done but I'm having fun with it even if I spend 8 hours a week maintaining it

Amazing capture, editing and of course, performance.

Love John Coltrane. This song with Duke Ellington is top 5 all time for me
I started participating in this local Bay Area Discord group that I found on Reddit that hosts regular meetups, and it has been pretty eye opening. I've never really had friends in real life who I'd consider nerdy, and this is really my first time pursuing it outside of the internet, but I'm seeing first hand how ignorant the demographic really is.
I can really relate to this. From gaf to pretty much all of gaming side here and way too many real life situations.

It's interesting how we can pick up on problematic things as children, even though we don't have the language to unpack it. I have some memories of this from playing video games with sexist tropes as a kid. Feeling uncomfortable or disappointed and not knowing why.

Something that's not on nearly the same scale as the other incidents mentioned here, but I remember the first time I felt like a token, without realising what that was. In primary school, we learnt about MLK during a morning assembly. At the end, the headteacher basically said that the white and black kids should play together during break that day, because he'd be smiling down from heaven while watching us. And a white girl approached me, with innocent and sincere intentions I'm sure, and basically repeated what the headteacher said. She obviously had the right intentions, but I still felt uncomfortable, and couldn't really place why. And of course no one really remembered this lesson afterwards, and things were back to normal the next day.

It's kind of funny because all of the primary schools I went to were overwhelmingly white, but my secondary school was like 70% ethnic minorities and migrants/refugees. And I remember how as soon as I started secondary school, I felt... so at home, and was not made to feel othered for the first time in my life. It was really refreshing to be around people who looked like me, and to not feel alien for once. So despite my secondary school being pretty poor and underfunded (and some of the teachers were racist), I enjoyed it far more than any of the primary schools I went to.
I've been so blessed growing up in my area in west London because even though the teachers were rarely ethnic minorities, like 65% of my year was, so the teachers all knew how to act right. Of course there were incidents of racism, but everyone always had the numbers (for lack of a better term) to feel comfortable.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else comes from that meeting thread, It's good seeing all the new posters/long time BCC alums popping in.

I was having a discussion yesterday with a few people yesterday regarding 4chan, and why I believe the community to be unquestionably racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and thoroughly bigoted. Whereas they kept parading the bullshit line that the site hates on everyone equally, and that it's all for laughs. And I'm like "all groups?" And they're like "yup." And when I asked how often a non-rural straight white male would have their existence and/or identity attacked on the site, "they're like uhhhhh..."
I always hated this excuse cause people will always say how "South Park makes fun of everyone". South Park makes fun of character tropes and disenfranchised groups. I've never seen them dedicate an entire episode on making fun of someone for being white.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. Been lurking in this thread for a while and after reading the meeting thread I guess I should say hi. Not sure how much I will post because I feel like this isn't exactly my community to be posting in (me being British and mixed lol).
I will say I'm growing a "mini-fro" right now after having my hair short my whole life and it's going really well. I don't know how far I'm gonna grow it before I'm done but I'm having fun with it even if I spend 8 hours a week maintaining it

Love John Coltrane. This song with Duke Ellington is top 5 all time for me

I can really relate to this. From gaf to pretty much all of gaming side here and way too many real life situations.

I've been so blessed growing up in my area in west London because even though the teachers were rarely ethnic minorities, like 65% of my year was, so the teachers all knew how to act right. Of course there were incidents of racism, but everyone always had the numbers (for lack of a better term) to feel comfortable.
That was pretty much my experience too in secondary school, bar a couple of teachers. And funnily enough the area I grew up in, during the 90s and early 2000s, was predominantly white working class. Then white flight did its thing and it became predominantly PoC. I didn't mind that at all of course lol. The incidents of racism while out and about decreased a lot. When we first came here (my family were refugees too), we were basically the only black people in the neighbourhood. We had one Pakistani British neighbours who were very lovely and welcoming, but everyone else was white. Certain roads we had to avoid because of people that lived there. That's not the case at all anymore thankfully, and the town I currently live in is very multi-cultural too for similar reasons. So it's interesting to see how areas can develop over time.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Kind of want to ht the breaks for a second and say all are welcome if they aren't coming in with ill will. I myself am British, I just live in the States.

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
The thing that makes this place great is the diversity of experiences, so please don't feel that it's not meant for you!

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019

Nah. I can't fuck with people like that anymore. I'm lucky enough to have nerdy friends that are black or otherwise marginalized, but I dropped a lot of nerdy types because they were so ignorant and so unwilling to learn.

Tommcatt

Apr 26, 2019
I will say I'm growing a "mini-fro" right now after having my hair short my whole life and it's going really well. I don't know how far I'm gonna grow it before I'm done but I'm having fun with it even if I spend 8 hours a week maintaining it.

Nah man welcome! This is honestly one of my favorite spaces on the internet for members of the diaspora (until someone shoots me that discord invite 👀).

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
Non Black Era posters post in this thread as well/we have lots of Black Era members with different ancestries/backgrounds from all over the world. Hell, we used to have a horse that posted in here regularly.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
That’s officially from a bank then...thought it was costumer made. Aight Urban Scholar i hear the screaming...smh

So I think I’m gonna give in and go to the doctors and get them sleeping pills. This stint of sleeping this bad is taxing. I hate them pills. Feels as someone is tryna pull me down into the dark.

Thanks people I'll definitely poke my head in to see what's up
hi, hello and welcome 😊

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I had to sneak around like Solid Snake so I could to listen to rock and metal and avoid the usual criticism about listening to "white music."
Oof
I like to listen to all kinds of music, hip hop, rap, metal, rock etc.
While in the end it comes down to my mood and if i like the beat, I dont stick to just one genre

For that matter i wanna build an expansive 80s music mix album....

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017

When I lived in Iowa, every elementary school I went to was majority white and even though the schools were nice and I didn't feel like I was looked at differently for being black, there was definitely some awkwardness and an uneasy tone whenever the history lessons went over slavery and a couple pictures showed black people in chains, I would get the weirdest fucking stares. I remember one instance of it happening and me and this other kid were both getting stares from the white kids and the teacher had to say something about it.

Despite that situation, I had a negative experience moving to a majority black school but that spoke more to the city we moved to than necessarily the students I got to know (except my first two years where I was picked on for speaking "white"). But I am glad for it because it made me the person I am today...and I knew how to code switch at a earlier age than others can claim lol

Had I stayed in the white schools, I would have came out academically better and probably would have went to some college right after high school, but I would know barely even half as much as I do about black culture and black people in general as most of the culture I picked up on came mostly from my family until moving to a black school.

Feb 8, 2019
Why is a Jamaican born Canadian a Trump Supporter? Today I had the privilege of listening to my dad get visibly upset at someone calling Trump a loser, citing off how rich he is and how successful all his kids are followed by several utterances of the word “free speech”. Kinda my first time having to deal with this in person and it did stress me out just a little.

Also hello, I don’t come here often (ever) and I’m mostly just venting in what I hope is a relatively safe place but nice to meet you all. If you need credentials then consult my limitless supply of DG Pineapple Soda.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
ya know I'm starting to think Bernie is TV show Mastermind villain in this election
every complaint about him from 2016 run there's a candidate that's worse so he doesn't get the qualities attached to him this time

had a black problem but this time got Pete with a worse one
some get on his switch to being a democrat then Bloomberg shows up
some of his policies in his home state and Khamala shows up

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
ya know I'm starting to think Bernie is TV show Mastermind villain in this election
every complaint about him from 2016 run there's a candidate that's worse so he doesn't get the qualities attached to him this time

This is exactly how I feel about Bernie, but can't say that in any politics threads. That last one though is a good one because Vermont is one of the most racist places I have ever been to.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I just never cared about Bernie. Not in 2015/2016 and not now.

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017

I am very interested in how this all shakes out, especially if Bernie gets the nomination. I can already see his Bros and Sisters being awful winners and using his win to browbeat his detractors even further.

Part of me wants this to happen, so that we can finally put all of our chips to the table. No Hillary to scapegoat if he loses, which I do not want to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I am very interested in how this all shakes out, especially if Bernie gets the nomination. I can already see his Bros and Sisters being awful winners and using his win to browbeat his detractors even further.

Part of me wants this to happen, so that we can finally put all of our chips to the table. No Hillary to scapegoat if he loses, which I do not want to happen.
He has to get the nom because his supporters will burn down the Democrat side of the election for real this time.

Basically got the party held at gunpoint but he's fine with it because the gun holder is white