The Black Culture Community [OT 4] - Melanin and Estrogen - The new Kryptonite

The_Juice

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a bunch of people introduce themselves recently so I thought I'd do the same. Pretty much stick to lurking but I want to get into more discussions. Usually by the time I get into threads about black issues you guys have articulated a point better than I could have so I go back to lurking. Can I join the Discord also?

Where you're from - Southern California
Where you live - Southern California
What is your age? - 36
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black, mostly from the south
Do you know your roots - Unfortunately not very well
Favorite musical genre - Hip-Hop, Rap, R&B
Your profession/major/career interest - Electrical Engineer
Your religious affiliation - Grew up in a Baptist house but lapsed on that
Hobbies - Gaming, reading, sports. I'm a simple man
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes
Marvel or DC? - Marvel
Favorite superhero? - Spider-Man
Anime or Nah? - Anime, been a minute though
Favorite sport and team? - Basketball, Lakers
What's your favorite video game and genre? - Been playing a ton of RDR2 lately. Don't necessarily have a favorite genre I dabble in most

Dec 6, 2019
The Photograph is the best black love movie I've seen since like, Love and Basketball. If Beal Street Could Talk is excellent, too, but The Photograph does that passion without the Shakespearean tragedy.

Feb 8, 2019
Earlier someone had posted a good article on black hairstyles but I completely forget what it was called. If anyone remembers could they repost it? Thanks.

Earlier someone had posted a good article on black hairstyles but I completely forget what it was called. If anyone remembers could they repost it? Thanks.

Apharmd

Oct 25, 2017
ya know I'm starting to think Bernie is TV show Mastermind villain in this election
every complaint about him from 2016 run there's a candidate that's worse so he doesn't get the qualities attached to him this time

had a black problem but this time got Pete with a worse one
some get on his switch to being a democrat then Bloomberg shows up
some of his policies in his home state and Khamala shows up
I'm a known Bernie Bro so take this with a grain of salt but his numbers this time among younger black folks are really good. Bernie isn't perfect for us (I feel like if you are going to run on socializing 15% of the nation's economy we maybe can talk about reparations for descendants of slaves and indigenous Americans) but he's got a much better message regarding race this time. All of the alternatives are worse- Pete/Bloomberg/Biden have awful records of racism, Warren pretended to be a POC, Klobuchar put an innocent black teen in prison.

OP
OP
D i Z

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Mornin'

Windrush Deportations Public Meeting

Mayor Marvin Rees & Cllr Asher Craig are hosting a public meeting for those affected by the Governments decision to reinstate the policy of deportation for Windrush residents

Guests & Panel Members include Mayor of Bristol - Marvin Rees, Cllr Asher Craig, Deputy Mayor, Patrick Vernon OBE - Leading UK Campaigner on Windrush ScandalM Sheila Sharman, Senior Caseworker - Thangam Debbonaire MP’s office & local advice centres.

This public meeting will provide an opportunity to find out the latest position regarding the government’s hostile environment policy which disproportionately affects the lives of individuals from African and Caribbean communities and to agree a plan of action. We need to take a stand on behalf of our Windrush residents.

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah, there's plenty of that to go around here. For me it depends on the post in question. Whether the person seems like they're open to listening despite what they've done wrong, or are just being insensitive. That will inform how I attempt to correct them. It can get tiring, but I like to remember that it isn't just for them, but also others who are reading.

I will say, I always appreciate when someone can show introspection and apologise, even if they've been called out harshly. I think it shows a level of sincerity and humility.

Feb 8, 2019

Merc_

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg is full on masks off for so many "allies". I'll straight up sit out the election if that fucker makes it all the way.

Dec 6, 2019
No Black trauma what a concept.

I've read some good reviews of how the movie misses its mark. Which is fine with me. Still going to see it.
I don't think it misses the mark. I think most people are looking for "happily ever after," but what the film does is leave the door open. Hopeful ambiguity? Uncertainty?

I think it's about as realistic as one can imagine a movie about black love in 2020.

Lemmie tell you what though. I doubled-down and watched Queen and Slim the next day, just for comparison.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH????

I actually do have a more level response. I'm just processing right now. For example:

Ironically,

"Are you a good lawyer?"

"Yes, I'm excellent."

"Why do black people feel the need to be excellent? We should just be ourselves."

^Quote I wrote down in my notes for Queen and Slim.

How they have this busted ass Chance the rapper halftime show? Godfuck, he is terrible.
That's weird. I got a text from a friend who said they liked it.

I really enjoyed Common's player introductions though. Just the right amount of cheese for my geeky tastes.

Dec 6, 2019
It's the 2016 election all over again. Just replace Trump with Bloomberg.
Double-post but I have a theory that the establishment knows that democrats will vote for "anyone but Trump," which is why people like Boomberg can show up after missing several debates and be considered a legit candidate. Furthermore, he wouldn't even have gotten this far if white (so-called) liberals didn't find stop & frisk tolerable. That goes double for Mr. BootyButt, who won Iowa. Who tf lives in Iowa? 94% white population, that's who.

Yall notice how Warren has all been erased from media mind-share? Gonna be nothing left but a bunch of white dudes soon. And we won't have any choice but to like it, because remember, "anyone but Trump."

That's why they had to push out Kamala early. Speaking of Kamala:

She got bot'd with#Kamalawasacop and everyone just nodded and rolled with it. Yang just hung on for the points, but nobody was ever going to take him seriously.

IDK how to read the black support shifting from Biden to Bernie. I just know that not one of these candidates left gives a mouse pellet-sized shit about black issues.

Milquetoast, the lot of 'em.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
IDK how to read the black support shifting from Biden to Bernie. I just know that not one of these candidates left gives a mouse pellet-sized shit about black issues.

Milquetoast, the lot of 'em.
Pretty much. Unfortunately, you'll have to be careful around the political threads because some have hero worship on the brain.

Last edited: