• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is there honestly a problem of shutting down discussion because of fear of portbegging?

• Yes, I've seen someone or have been receiving mock for something that was seen as port begging.

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • No, most of those posts either would lead to port-begging, or was subterfuge.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Ironically enough, this discussion is perfect for Switch.

Votes: 49 45.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so. I normally don't make these sort of subject threads, I just infrequently make threads about stupid gaming toys and squid hologram concerts. But this has sort of been a thing that's bothering me, and the recent reaction towards the P5R teaser trailer unexpectedly spiked up this sentiment. But this isn't gonna really be about P5R itself, so stick with me.

Let's review something here. The act of portbegging is, commonly speaking, complaining that a game isn't slated for release on a platform of preference in a thread that announces either its existence or further info, especially for a game like Bayonetta 3 or the Castlevania Requiem collection, where the info of their current exclusivity and reasoning have been incredibly clear. WHY ISN'T THIS ON SWITCH IT'S PERFECT FOR IT. THEY SHOULD ALSO PORTING THIS TO XBOX ONE IT'S SO EASY. I WISH THIS WAS ON PS4... It's whiny, it adds nothing to the relevant topic at hand and can derail discussion, it's also based on feelings and no one needs to know that we feel.

Speculation of platforms is a different beast, where limited amount of information is given, and questioning whether or not a product can be or would be launched on any platform is ideally theoretically objective but still very much subjective to understanding. P5R's teaser had almost nothing to go on, but in their actual website the trailer started off with a Playstation logo, inferring that the trailer on their website was for Playstation. Why this teaser is being presented the way it is, with the specific PS Logo version not being used in the broadcast (but only available on their website), and the implications of more platforms announced in March is worth a discussion.

For the past few years, third party "exclusivity" and selectiveness has gotten a lot more prominent. And now more than ever people have been questioning why some titles remain only on some platforms when financially speaking there's a lot more benefit of releasing on every platform they can. And there are incredibly feasible reasons why they are not releasing on every platform (budget and scale, demographics, additional financial benefits, partnerships, timing, philosophical loyalties). But more than a few games have been discussed here and elsewhere on about where they release on and why they do not release elsewhere and if they'll ever be released elsewhere; Bayonetta, Persona, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei (Is this like, a Sega/Atlus thing?), and others. And this is where it all gets messy. More often than not, I've seen a lot of actual speculation get mixed up for genuine port-begging, and then people retaliate either by reveling that a speculation is obviously wrong or just shutting out the posts in general as port-begging. Keep in mind, people do genuinely port-beg, that is not uncommon. But in the mission to snuff out all port-begging, to prop up the console that "rightly won" the privilege to get this game, discussion and courtesy get tossed out. I will admit, I have indulged into that particular nonsense (Bayo3 speculation by far, Castlevania only just got me), but since then I've learned to hold my tongue from just outright bashing people having a discussion about possible platforms for games. Speaking of Bayo 3, that's leads into the final bit.

Because of the reaction to speculation discussions on Bayonetta 3 months back (even extending all the way back to Bayo 2), because of the reaction to the P5R teaser very recently, or because any other of these scenarios for different games, I've been thinking that a lot of this is from all the underlying console war attitudes that been given rise for the last few years, particularly between Sony and Nintendo (because Playstation "gets almost everything" and Nintendo "gets absolutely nothing", with Microsoft just happy to be there). Shutting out the topic that there's a remote possibility that a series that has been traditionally on a single platform would go for another based on the amount of context given to us does not shut out port-begging, it just shuts out a valid discussion because some people do not want to entertain the fact that they possibly have to share their spoils, and this is unneeded. Likewise, calling someone stupid or otherwise insulting people for entertaining the speculation that there could be additional platforms after an initial reveal or release when the info can point to it is uncalled for. There has to be more thought into considering what constitutes as port-begging and just honest to god speculation, not fueled by any sort of platform loyalty.

Is this a problem only I am bothering to talk about, am I the only one seeing things? What do you think?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never understood why port-begging was banned on GAF and now ERA

I have no idea why that's bad discussion

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I don't get why we have to make this personal with how the poll is kind of making us point fingers to there being bad regulation.

I do think however if there's a good basis of speculation, it should be open for discussion.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Because you're not discussing the game, you're discussing the platform. And not even that, most of the time people are just posting "if not coming to ____, I am not playing it" or "No ______, no buy"; there's no discussion to have on that.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Is it port begging to wish for certain games or series to be made for a console-handheld hybrid (not necessarily switch) like Halo? Or wish there were more hybrid devices like those to benefit those games or series?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People focus too much on the port part of port begging and ignore the begging part.

Discussion about a port is not portbegging.
Arguments in favor of a port is not portbegging
Specualtions about the possibility of a port is not portbegging.

Portbegging is a zero argument post that is offtopic and derails threads and bring nothing new to the discussion.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
, it just shuts out a valid discussion because some people do not want to entertain the fact that they possibly have to share their spoils, and this is unneeded
Why does this discussion need to take place? It either comes to a platform or it doesn't. Like this is the least interesting part of these announcements and always seems to dominate discussion because the people care about their platforms more than they do what's in the game.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018

Same. This is my first real game forum and chalked it up to me just being unfamiliar with the culture, but it still seems pretty silly in every single instance I've witnessed on here.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why we have to make this personal with how the poll is kind of making us point fingers to there being bad regulation.
Considering the recent thread for P5R had mods specifically clarify the issue of port begging complaints (you can't port beg a product announcement that is mostly unrevealed), I assure you that's not the intent.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
It's all a blurry mess for sure.
For example:

If only the PS4 platform is announced without the word "exclusive" next to it, then it is technically not confirmed an exclusive, so people can complain multiple times, throughout many pages on a single thread, that they want the game on the Switch.
They can say that they are disappointed, that they will boycott it or won't play if it's not on the Switch, that they hate the developers, etc.
That is supposedly only speculation and is fully okay.

If it says "exclusive" on the screen, then all those same posts would be port-begging and would be banned.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about portbeggers, I just ignore them. But a lot of discussion always goes sideways when port begging starts and I have to trudge through a lot of posts on both sides. It should be just banned, some people aren't mature enough to just let this begging go and thus it affects the whole thread

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You can't port beg when the consoles aren't even announced yet. Hoping that it arrives on a certain console is legitimate discussion.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'd sure agree that posts that are entirely

"OMG the salt"
"love the trainwreck"
"x person is a piece of shit"
"ahahahah hilarious"
*gifs about how x fans are getting rekt*

whether they come from a fandom or another fandom are bullshit and hypocritical toxicity for a forum that loves to shit on toxicity and trash gamers while users don't behave that much better.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While I agree that port-begging can distract from real discussion, I don't get why people get mad when someone says something like "I'd love to play this on the Switch". How dare they have a platform of preference.

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just love to see how port shit always ruffles feathers. It's like coming into a thread and calling everyone a dildo-headed python--or at least that's how folks react. God, I relish it.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

"OMG the salt"
"love the trainwreck"
"ahahahah hilarious"

whether they come from a fandom or another fandom are bullshit and hypocritical toxicity for a forum that loves to shit on toxicity and trash gamers while users don't behave that much better.

I agree with this. These posts need to be banned, or at least warned.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party platform exclusivity is a dying breed and so leading to more and more speculation about what platforms X game will land on.
Either we want it or not, those sort of reactions will keep coming back and it can be incredibly toxic when you just want to discuss about that game in particular, plain port begging bring nothing and more annoyingly we see more reactions and console warring because X game that won't release on Y platform.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Considering the recent thread for P5R had mods specifically clarify the issue of port begging complaints (you can't port beg a product announcement that is mostly unrevealed), I assure you that's not the intent.
Same thing happened in the Catherime Classic thread. People are "afraid to lose exclusives" and start attacking anyone even speculating about something releasing on other platforms. They end up derailing the thread themselves rather than the people discussing the platform options.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's so bad about it. Sure, keep it out of OTs because that's just for the discussion of the game proper, but hype check threads for 'X' game on 'X' platform should be commonplace considering how many devs are straight up asking for port begging now. ("We'll release on 'X' if there's enough demand") This is a major gaming forum and it's not implausible to think that it can be a (small) contributing factor in getting games released on more platforms — and that's never a bad thing.

Last edited:

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if there's not a lot to discuss about a teaser or something, eventually people will wonder about the platforms a game could be on.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

"OMG the salt"
"love the trainwreck"
"ahahahah hilarious"

It's funny how many of these posts get away scott-free.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It adds nothing to the discussion

"I want this game on xyz"
"Ok"
or
"It wont be because of abc"

But that's not what people are talking about. Sure, blatant "pls come to platform x" posts are dumb but speculating on potential platforms with grounded reasoning shouldn't be considered port begging.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see of the community keeps the same energy about PS5/Nextbox when it comes to speculation of which games might come or be announced for those consoles.
With Switch it was very difficult to understand why things went sours this fast, because people werent behaving much different compared to past handheld launches or PS360.
It adds nothing to the discussion

"I want this game on xyz"
"Ok"
or
"It wont be because of abc"
You are assming that everyone knows about "abc" - which for some people might be interesting or worth the discussion.
But i agree, that it only works on smaller forums and with less people invested in console wars.

It doesnt make alot of sense - but its something necessary to keep the horde from going crazy on these boards.
It can get sometimes alot - especially when new systems launched or about to be released.

Main issue is that alot of people dont even have an issue port begging or discussion around it. There was a Persona thread not too long ago were most people were okay with discussing potential PC ports and that Atlus should finally go PC....but went nuts as soon as Switch was mentioned lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Talking especifucally about P5R, which has been pure speculation I think it is fair to discuss to what platforms it might come for, I dont think that counts as port begging. If the day comes where it is a platform exclusive and you have people still bitching about 'meh it should have come to X console' then yeah, report away.

People hype were fueled by those insider Switch rumors, and when the PS logo appeared on that teaser, people were undersandably confused/upset/let down, so is natural that they want to discuss that.

The thing is that its kinda difficult to discern between honest discussion and concern trolling.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, what do you think that port begging/speculation adds to a discussion?

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Most game announcement in this site is always full of people wanting a Switch version. It's so annoying and doesn't add to the disscusion of the announcement.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Port begging rules were made so that people don't derail a thread about a game to whine about the platform.
But now, we have people derailing threads to whine about port begging (often with console warring in mind).

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about portbeggers, I just ignore them. But a lot of discussion always goes sideways when port begging starts and I have to trudge through a lot of posts on both sides. It should be just banned, some people aren't mature enough to just let this begging go and thus it affects the whole thread

Yeah, I think this is where I land on this. Id prefer if people just made seperate threads to port beg, rather than potentially derailing others.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% console wars. Very little is port begging actually a big issue from what I see.

I see more people complaining about Switch port beggars than Switch port beggars actually being annoying.

It is completely and totally understandable to speculate about P5 coming to Switch with Joker smash announcement and insiders hinting at it.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
You are assming that everyone knows about "abc" - which for some people might be interesting or worth the discussion.
But i agree, that it only works on smaller forums and with less people invested in console wars.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just stating the very limited amount of posts that those kinds of posts actually bring to the table

Sure, you can talk about abc but it wont be long until the points are covered multiple times

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Are people reading the OP at all lol.

He's not talking about derails.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I saw someone dogpiled for "port begging" for saying a rumored game could possibly be a switch port. Like, come on

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Also wondered, is it forbidden like to create a thread and call it, as example, " Switch ultimate port begging - remasters wishlist thread ' ? It would not give attention on one game in particular, but a discussion about Switch owner, as example, of which game they want to see arrive on this specific platform. Wanted to create a thread like this, but dont know how mod will slap me on the hand doing it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just stating the very limited amount of posts that those kinds of posts actually bring to the table
...and thats when every normal person normally moves on from the subject. I dont think these discussions would dominate the threads as much as people think, once cleared up.

Have seen too many people gang up on person X for asking a question about game X coming to platform Y - for no reason.
I really doubt we will see the same reactions with PS5/Nextbox.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
As we've seen with the "No Steam No Buy" posts on any discussion on games available exclusively on the Epic Store, port begging (or in this case "launcher begging") is alive and well.

I just want to talk about Ashen and Hades without half the thread being about how awful the store is and how Epic are somehow the bad guys for obtaining exclusivity deals to promote their new platform.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Port begging policy doesn't make any sense to me in this forum.

nothing wrong to speculate at least in a separate thread, and I'm sure mods are smart enough to distinguish between speculation and unnecessary port begging.

for example, the recent debate about P5? I own the original game already but i want a portable version of the game. is this wrong? no. and there are enough hints to speculate the possibility of a port (Joker in Smash, insiders info).

Honestly, what do you think that port begging/speculation adds to a discussion?

it is a discussion in itself. should every discussion be centered around game details? then why discuss sales or tech?
we are in a gaming forum, and this is part of the things you can discuss about video games. at least when there is enough information to have a discussion/speculation.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Most game announcement in this site is always full of people wanting a Switch version. It's so annoying and doesn't add to the disscusion of the announcement.
I will say there are times when the announcement thread deliberately left out a platform or two, causing people to question especially when the trailer would say otherwise.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
locking thread.

This reads like a reaction thread to the P5 news/thread, so no matter the OPs intent, we don't allow those.

Status
Not open for further replies.