• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think are the most important building blocks of a good fighting game roster?

• Roster Size

Votes: 96 40.0%
  • Playstyle Diversity

Votes: 211 87.9%
  • Fan Requests

Votes: 37 15.4%
  • Gender & Racial Diversity

Votes: 94 39.2%
  • Franchise Representation

Votes: 63 26.3%
  • Guest Characters

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Future-Proofing

Votes: 34 14.2%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As many of you know by now, I love fighting games to pieces. And one of the things that fascinates me most about fighting games are the rosters, specifically the process that goes into selecting them (which is likely why I'm seen in roster speculation threads so often). I've always been curious about the thought process behind fighting game rosters & the building blocks of a good one. Such curiosity has led me to looking through various fighting game rosters over the years, leading to the existence of this thread.....& the title. But to be clear, this isn't an analysis on each modern fighting game's rosters. While I will take an analytical look at some rosters, I probably save the super deep dive into each game's roster for future threads (where I'll likely refer back to this thread as a template for how I judge said rosters). With that said, here we go.

One more thing before we start, special thanks to Clov for helping with the finalized thread name.

ROSTER SIZE

E4HE0d0VoAI7H0f.jpg

Obviously the thing that people talk about the most is the size of various rosters. I mean, look at the amount of praise that Smash Ultimate's roster has been getting. But while roster size is a rather impressive feat for games that can get that big, it also becomes a question of making the most of the massive roster. Looking at Smash Ultimate's roster, Sakurai & Bandai Namco chose to bring back every single veteran from every Smash game up to this point. This is a rather impressive feat that should be commended. But as we go on in this analysis, there are a few cracks that will present themselves in this otherwise-fantastic roster which comes from bringing back everyone from every Smash game. Likewise, this kind of roster size isn't as feasible for games that tend to start from scratch asset-wise for each new entry, which is why games like Street Fighter always have smaller rosters for each numbered entry. While this does limit the roster size even further, it does allow the developer to re-think the character on a fundamental level if they so choose (something Street Fighter V has done for many of its veterans). Smash Ultimate relied on reused animations for many of the Wii U/3DS veterans to achieve its roster size, & (outside of a few exceptions like Link & Ganondorf) it didn't change its Wii U/3DS veterans up too much. It ultimately comes down to what the goal is for the fighting game in question. In short, size is important. But what you do with it is just as important, as we'll soon see in the later sections of this thread.

I can't take full credit for the last two sentences, as they're a modified version of a sentence that Platy suggested (thank you, Platy).

PLAYSTYLE DIVERSITY

phoenixwright-ultimate-mvc3-full-victory.png
portrait.png
YhelxMo.png

I won't talk about this from an echo fighter perspective, since their inclusions in Smash are basically harmless to the rest of the game (to borrow one of Sakurai's analogies, Echoes are basically dessert for the main course known as the rest of the roster). But echo fighters only really applies to the Smash games. With that said, while its great to have a decently-sized roster, its equally as important to have a number of unique play-styles within that roster. To use Street Fighter V as an example, despite its 16-character roster at launch, Capcom did a pretty good job in making sure that each of them were unique in how they play. This only improved as time went on, especially with characters like Ed with his 2-button special inputs (which also extends to fellow Neo-Shadaloo member Falke). Even now, while there are quite a few rushdown characters, there aren't really any characters I'd consider too similar to another. Even Kage is pretty unique compared to his shoto cousins, acting as more of a hybrid of Evil Ryu & Dan from previous SF games. Looking at Dragon Ball FighterZ, Merged Zamasu did a great job of standing out in a game where a lot of the characters played similarly. Even UMvC3 did a pretty good job in making each of its characters pretty unique. The most amount of mechanical overlap was actually between Ryu & Akuma (surprisingly not Wolverine & his artificially-created daughter, X-23), and even they were pretty different. This ultimately goes back to what was said earlier about making the most of the roster size. Granted, larger rosters are eventually gonna get to a point where there's a decent bit of overlap in terms of how each character plays, & Smash Ultimate is proof of this (Pikachu/Pichu, Link/Young Link/Toon Link, Marth/Roy, Mario/Dr. Mario, etc.). But there's still a good amount of things that can be done to alleviate this to an extent.

FAN REQUESTS

vergil-ultimate-mvc3-full-victory.png
main.png
lKYDAYX.png

Appeasing fan requests is a sure-fire way to attain hype for your game, be it for the sake of nostalgia or a newer character that has grown a sizable fanbase willing to push them for inclusion in any particular fighting game. Many fighting games, more so from longer-running franchises, have used this to great effect. For Smash, the Fighter Ballot was used to bring in characters like Simon Belmont, Ridley, & King K. Rool. Capcom even had a similar popularity poll for Street Fighter that resulted in Karin's inclusion in SFV. Even UMvC3's developers had their ear to the ground to include fan requests like Phoenix Wright, Strider Hiryu, & Vergil (but no Mega Man, weirdly enough......though we eventually got X in MvCI). On paper, you can't go wrong with fan favorite characters. But the down-side to relying too much on these kinds of picks is that you may potentially end up with a roster that's either low on gender balance, diversity (in terms of people of color), play-styles, or any combination of the three (I'll talk about the first two later). To use Smash as an example, half of Ultimate's 6 base roster newcomers (unique & echo) were dictated by the Fighter Ballot. But that combined with "Everyone is Here" & the current state of the Fighters Pass, while succeeding in garnering maximum hype & sales, resulted in a roster that (while great in every other regard) is sorely lacking in gender & ethnic diversity. What I'm saying here is that sure, bring in fan-requested characters. But don't rely on these kinds of picks too much.

GENDER & ETHNIC DIVERSITY

PSN_00.png
kisspng-tekken-7-kazuya-mishima-raven-heihachi-mishima-lin-5aed36d2d0ece7.7732357015254955068558_1.png
Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png

Just as important as gameplay diversity is diversity when it comes to gender & race. Speaking from personal experience, my own cousin (visiting from Washington DC) gravitated straight to the likes of Black Panther, Storm, Luke Cage, & Miles Morales in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and even questioned where Black Panther was in UMvC3 (though to be fair, he had played MvCI first during our session). Having various demographics represented in your roster is important. And in recent years, most of the recent batch of fighting games have done better in making sure that they treat the characters & what they represent with respect. Capcom worked with GLAAD to make sure that Poison was treated with respect in Street Fighter X Tekken with regards to her being a transgender woman, efforts that extended to her later appearances. Even in Tekken 7, Harada & his team visited Dubai & Saudi Arabia to learn more about Middle Eastern design & culture in order to create Shaheen for Tekken 7. And while not pictured here, Capcom worked with Sony & Pluto Games (Sony's Middle Eastern distributor) to get Rashid right. Obviously not every fighting game franchise has to go to such lengths to get their characters right, but the effort is greatly appreciated. Just having women or people of color in your roster can go a long way as long as they're treated with respect (I.E. not an offensive stereotype), & Jacqui Briggs in Mortal Kombat X & 11 alongside her father Jax (a Mortal Kombat mainstay) is an example of this done right. The same can be said of characters like Leo, Eddy Gordo, & (more recently) Leroy Smith in Tekken 7. We even got Najd in King of Fighters XIV, who was actually a fan-created character that won a contest to be in the game. Not to mention ARMS with characters like Twintelle & Misango. Likewise, as far as avatar characters go, there should be a few instances where the female version of the character is the main one. To use Smash Ultimate as an example, while it did make Inkling & Wii Fit Trainer's female versions the main ones, it could go further by making Female Corrin & Female Villager the defaults as well. There's also the topic of unique body types that should be done to a decent degree. To use Street Fighter V as an example, while there's a fair bit of body diversity with the guys, the ladies don't have that nearly as much. A good number of SFV's women are well-toned in terms of muscle, sure, but their body diversity leaves much to be desired. Of course, I can't really fault SFV alone for this, as it's a common problem across a multitude of fighting games. But all the same, this is something I hope gets somewhat rectified in the future. In short, representation matters, especially in fighting games where the rosters are vast.

If you want to know more about the female fighter ratios of various fighting games, feel free to check out one of my other threads on the subject.

FRANCHISE REPRESENTATION

k5TVjfd.png
main.png
437px-S_morrigan00_bm_nomip_s_morrigan00_bm_nomipout.png

This can mean different things depending on the fighting game in question, so I'll do my best to cover the types of rosters that would apply to this category in whatever form they do.
  • Representing Various Entries of a Single Franchise (SFII, SFA, SFIII, etc.)
    • This is more of a balancing act that's dictated based on each franchise, how well each entry did, & how well-received its batch of newcomers were. For example, Street Fighter II obviously did the best of the Street Fighter franchise, so of course it'll get a fair bit of priority in the roster of a future Street Fighter game. But at the same time, not everyone in SFII is really necessary. For example, not many people would lose any sleep over the absence of Dee Jay or T. Hawk. But what one also has to consider is that there are fan-favorites from other entries in the series. Again using Street Fighter as an example, Street Fighter III (specifically Third Strike) is regarded by a good number of people in the FGC as the best entry in the series despite it not selling as well as SFII. Likewise, a number of its newcomers (Alex, Ibuki, Urien, etc.) have gained dedicated followings over the years. The same could be said of Alpha, SFIV, or (later down the road) SFV, as the Karin example in the Fan Requests section proved in Alpha's case. Capcom actually kept this in mind when drafting Street Fighter V's base roster.
      • Screen_Shot_2019-08-15_at_7.51.49_PM.png
        *this is from Street Fighter V's EVO 2015 panel
        • Green = SFII
        • Blue = SF Alpha
        • Purple = Newcomers (SFV)
    • SFIII & IV would later go on to receive representation via DLC in Season 1, but it goes to show that one has to consider the fan bases of each entry of the franchise when drafting rosters for a long-running series. Not everyone can be Smash Ultimate & bring every veteran back.
  • Representing Multiple Franchises in a Crossover Fighting Game (Smash, MvC, etc.)
    • This goes back to what I've brought up a few times, especially when it comes to Smash. When drafting a crossover fighting game roster, the obvious course of action is to bring in the main characters of each major franchise that's relevant to the game in question. On paper, this makes complete sense to go this route. The main character of a franchise is the one people are the most familiar with, so they'd better associate that character with the franchise in question. The problem with this logic is that, if followed too rigidly, it can limit the potential for various forms of representation in your roster (be it playstyle, gender, or ethnicity). This is one of the problems that Smash has when it comes to its roster, though more in regards to gender & ethnic diversity rather than playstyle diversity (Sakurai's creativity as a director helps alleviate the problems that may arise for characters playing differently for the most part, echoes aside). This is most evident with Smash Ultimate's roster, considering its low female fighter percentage & there being so few people of color on the roster. While the logic of main characters first is mostly sound, there should be a little bit of leeway to choose someone besides the main character (as Capcom has shown with the Versus games by making moves like choosing Morrigan over Donovan). Sticking with the policy too rigidly can have the aforementioned side effects, which could also be a testament to main characters in games not being diverse enough. But until the industry gets to a place where that isn't an issue, some concessions must be made to make sure there's at least some diversity present in crossover fighting game rosters.
    • Likewise, there has to be a balance of relevancy vs. legacy in a fighting game roster. A good example of this would be comparing the rosters of Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, & Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (pictured below). MvC2, while fantastic for the time & is still a solid roster to this day, didn't hold up to the test of time as well as one would think. This could be attributed to the roster's over-reliance on X-Men & Street Fighter characters which, while understandable given the assets they had to work with & the era in which MvC2 was made, kind of put a set date on the roster with the rise of the MCU in recent years. Likewise, MvCI's roster has the exact opposite problem, where it relied too much on the MCU at the cost of some of those legacy picks. UMvC3 on the other hand did a better job of balancing both, resulting in a roster that has aged like fine wine because of it making sure that it caters to more parts of both franchises. Granted, all of these roster could use some work in the representation department, but UMvC3 is closer to the balance that one should strive for.
      • leyjesxdrxuy.jpg
        maxresdefault.jpg
        mvcinfinite-character-select-screen-dec2017.png

GUEST CHARACTERS

main.png
negan_render___tekken_7_by_armorkingtv21_dd10ofj-pre.png
tmnt_png_cutout_by_lucas_zero_dbxh3fm-pre.png

With a few exceptions (Capcom fighters, KoFXIV, SamSho, Guilty Gear, etc.), guest characters have become something of a common occurrence within fighting games, especially in recent years. And one can understand why, as guest characters are a great way to garner attention towards your fighting game & build hype outside of your existing fanbase. From Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to Tekken 7 to NetherRealm Studios' recent string of fighting games, guest characters are starting to pop up everywhere. But the key is to have a guest character that fits within the context of the game in question. To use Tekken 7 as an example, it goes the extra mile to bring in some of the mechanics of their home game in the case of Akuma & Geese (going as far as to give them projectiles & super meter). But while Negan did garner a ton of talk around Tekken 7 upon his reveal, I've noticed quite a bit of blowback from a good chunk of Tekken fans since it felt like he didn't really belong in Tekken. Looking at Injustice 2, even though the use of Mortal Kombat characters makes sense given who makes the Injustice games, it kinda feels weird to have them in the game when they're gonna get their own game in a few years anyway (though going by various datamining leaks, DC's gonna return the favor with Joker being in MK11). NRS did soften the blow of Raiden getting in over various DC characters by giving us a Black Lightning premier skin, but (personally speaking) it only made me want Jefferson as the default rather than Raiden. Though that's not to say that some of its guest characters didn't do cool things, as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was probably one of the best decisions NRS ever made for guest characters in Injustice. And going by the guest characters that have either been confirmed, leaked, or hinted at for MK11, it seems like NRS is gonna continue this guest character hot streak (honestly, if you're gonna pick a DC character to show up in MK11, Joker is one of your best bets). But with Smash Ultimate, it does a great job of getting gaming icons both old & new. Granted, the guests chosen are a bit heavy on the guys, but that goes back to what I sad in Franchise Representation regarding Smash (but at least we got Bayonetta.....who had to be voted in). The only commonality between the characters is that they've all appeared on a Nintendo system at least once, but they all still feel like they belong in Smash. That alone is a huge accomplishment, especially considering that Sakurai tries to stay true to their source material as much as possible. With that said, it does seem like these guests do more to spur DLC sales rather than sales for the base game. But that isn't to say that they don't get people talking, as they definitely do. Still, when done right, guest characters can do a lot to get your game in the spotlight. But the aren't without their drawbacks, & it being done wrong will only make fans wish that you brought back a franchise-native character instead.

FUTURE-PROOFING

PinClipart.com_marvel-clipart_444606.png
main.png
F5AbGIL.png

We can't always know what the future will bring. But when it comes to crossover fighting game rosters, the developers can get a pretty good idea of what's coming down the pipeline for certain franchises. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in particular did a pretty good job of this, as we got characters like Hawkeye, Rocket, & Doctor Strange ahead of their respective MCU debuts (Doctor Strange in particular wouldn't get his movie until Phase 3......in 2016). But as some of you may not know, Marvel Studios split off from Marvel Entertainment a few years ago, so one could figure that planning far ahead is now harder than it used to be. But fortunately for the latter party, Marvel Studios announced their entire Phase 3 slate prior to the split & updated it in a timely manner, so we still got characters from then-upcoming movies like Black Panther & Captain Marvel. Of course, MvCI relied too much on keeping current with the MCU & ignored legacy picks like the X-Men & Doctor Doom, but I went over that 2 sections ago. As for Smash, Roy is kind of an example of future-proofing gone wrong. He was originally meant to be an easy clone to advertise his then-upcoming Fire Emblem game during Melee's development. But due to Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade getting delayed in Japan, it kinda screwed over Sakurai & his team with regards to how they portrayed Roy since he went through some pretty extensive rewrites in said delay. This resulted in Smash Roy being portrayed much differently than FE Roy, something that has carried over to future Smash games (for the most part, as I feel like Ray Chase did a pretty good job of injecting some of Roy's actual personality into the character in Ultimate). Since then, Sakurai has aired on the side of caution when it comes to representing new franchises. For reference, Brawl didn't feature any significant content from Super Mario Galaxy, the Inklings were saved for Ultimate rather than be added as Wii U/3DS DLC, and characters like Spring Man & Rex were relegated to secondary roles (Assist Trophy & Mii Costume respectively.....both in Spring Man's case) in Ultimate. Though credit where it's due, we did get BotW Link, Luigi's new Polgergust, as well as stages for BotW & Odyssey. But as far as the characters go, it's understandable why Smash goes this route, as its rosters are usually planned well in advance & one can't really account for how new IPs will do that far in advance. For all Sakurai knew at the time of development, Splatoon (during Wii U/3DS DLC development) or ARMS (during Ultimate's development) could have ended up bombing. But it has the side-effect of making the roster feel kinda dated in a way. Inkling is a perfect example of this, as they're limited to how they were portrayed in Splatoon 1. Obviously it doesn't hurt Smash Ultimate's roster in any significant way, but it can raise a few eyebrows from those who may not follow the development cycle of fighting games. With that said, it doesn't hurt to have development be a bit more flexible to have certain characters account for more recent games (such as the Inkling's case). Though of course, that'll depend on a multitude of factors with regards to a game's development cycle. Likewise, something that The Turbanator brought up is the potential for future-proofing with regards to plot lines that will likely be covered in future entries of a franchise, which is likely gonna be the case for Neo-Shadaloo (Ed & Falke's group) for the Street Fighter franchise. We don't know how things will shake out now, but I can appreciate the table-setting for the time being. But yeah, while it only applies to certain scenarios, future-proofing is one of those things that's appreciated when done right.

ANALYZING VARIOUS FIGHTING GAME ROSTERS
Now that we have all of the categories properly discussed, let's look at a few rosters & judge them on how they follow each of these metrics. As stated before, I won't do a super deep dive into these rosters, as that's something I'll save for potential future threads. But with the topics we've already covered, it'd be a shame if I didn't at least do a pass-through of some rosters.

STREET FIGHTER V: CHAMPION EDITION (as of 7/27/21)

maxresdefault.jpg

We still have one more character after Oro & Akira drop. But for now, let's look at what we have & compare it to the categories listed. SFV is one of the few fighting games out now without any guest characters, so we can ignore that category.
  • Roster Size
    • Street Fighter V opted to start from scratch for all its animations & models. As a result, the starting roster was a bit on the small side at only 16 characters. Comparing it to other made-from-scratch rosters, Capcom did alright with SFV, as they made the most of the size by giving us a pretty diverse roster of characters. Though looking ahead to now, we're at a pretty good place character-wise. Everyone's made from the ground-up with mostly-great animations to boot. Could some of the models be better, yeah (see Ken's hair). But with that said, Capcom did pretty good about updating the game over the years so far.
  • Playstyle Diversity
    • This is another thing that Capcom did really well in Street Fighter V. Even from launch, the roster doesn't really have any characters you could say are straight-up clones of one another. Even with the shoto characters, they play pretty damn differently. Of course, there's a discussion to be had about SFV's reliance on rushdown, but that's more of an issue with the gameplay mechanics than the roster itself. With that said, I'd call this a win for SFV.
  • Fan Requests
    • Surprisingly enough, Capcom has shown a bit of restraint when it comes to relying too much on fan requested characters. We obviously have our fair share, from Karin to Alex to Urien to Sakura. But that aside, we don't have a ton of them to the point where it comes at the cost of gender or ethnic diversity (I suppose it helps that the ladies make up a fair share of said requests). Obviously they aren't the kings of appeasing the requests that are there, as we still have Makoto who's MIA. But Capcom did pretty good on this front.
  • Gender & Ethnic Diversity
    • As far as gender diversity, SFV does a good job of maintaining a solid >30% female fighter ratio (with each season of DLC having at least 2 ladies). With that said, a number of the designs are a bit too sexualized. And as mentioned earlier, there isn't much in the name of body type diversity (at least amongst the ladies; the guys have characters like Abigail, F.A.N.G, & Birdie). As for ethnic diversity, while SFV could do better, it's not too shabby all things considered. We have characters like Balrog, Birdie, Laura, Rashid, Menat, & a number of others in terms of characters who aren't either white or Japanese (Fun Fact: Lucia is actually Puerto Rican), so credit where it's due. We even have a transgender character in the form of Poison. So while there's certainly room for improvement, Capcom isn't in a terrible spot on either of these fronts in SFV. They just have to work towards getting better at the flaws that still persist.
    • In terms of spreading the Street Fighter love across multiple entries, SFV does okay. I say that because this roster definitely favors SFII, Alpha, & newcomers over SFIII & IV. We haven't gotten a SFIII character since Urien (though going by various rumors, that may soon be corrected with Oro in the near future), & we didn't get a SFIV rep post-Juri until Poison. At least with the launch roster, Capcom did a good job of maintaining a balance of classics & character we don't see often (or are completely new). But even then, it prioritized SFII, Alpha, & the newcomers. Granted, SFII is what put the series on the map. But a little more love for III & IV wouldn't hurt anybody. Either way, the roster does okay when you consider how big each main entry did relative to how much representation they got. It's just that, as mentioned, I wish that SFIII & IV got a little more love (though as I said, I may get my wish in the supposed Winter 2019 Pack.....at least for SFIII).
  • Future-Proofing
    • The only instance of future-proofing we have in SFV is the introduction of Neo-Shadaloo. And without knowing Capcom's long-term plans for the group, I can't really pass a definitive judgement on how that will shake out. But I can say that I appreciate that Capcom is planning this far ahead for the future of Street Fighter, especially if that future means finally moving past Third Strike in the timeline.

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (as of 7/27/21)

SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

Since this is a crossover fighting game, I can apply both the Guest Characters & Future-Proofing sections.
  • Roster Size
    • There's a reason why I used Smash Ultimate as an example of Roster Size, the cast is massive. It can't be underrated how big of an undertaking getting every single Smash veteran in one game is, especially with regards to the third-party characters. Granted, they reused a ton of animations from Smash Wii U/3DS (likely including the Ice Climbers, as we know that they were ready to go for Smash Wii U before being cut due to the 3DS version). But for a cast this size, that's perfectly understandable. Are there issues with the roster, certainly, & I'll get into those in the later categories. But let's just appreciate what we have right now.
  • Playstyle Diversity
    • When you get to a roster of this size, you're gonna have a decent bit of gameplay overlap. But despite all that, Smash Ultimate does a great job of having a ton of diverse mechanics for each character. The fact that Sakurai has been pulling more from the source material for their movesets in Smash definitely helps matters, with this being more prevalent with the newcomers from Wii U/3DS onwards. Granted, even putting aside the echo fighters, there are a number of characters that play similarly (I mentioned the examples earlier). But even despite that, the fact that the roster is as unique as it is across this many characters is impressive in of itself.
  • Fan Requests
    • Within Ultimate especially, they've done a good job of appeasing general fan demand within reason. Be it Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, or Dark Samus, Sakurai & Bandai Namco did well in pulling results from the Smash Ballot (outside of Smash Ballot Winner Bayonetta, who had already been included in Smash Wii U/3DS via DLC). Even in the Fighters Pass, where Nintendo had more of a hand in the character selection process than usual, we got Banjo & Kazooie so far (another huge fan request since the early days of Smash). With that said, it's not all sunshines & rainbows on this front, as Smash Ultimate's focus on veterans & fan requests resulted in a few side-effects.
    • This was the main side-effect of Smash Ultimate's general focus. As far as gender diversity, it's unfortunately amongst the lowest of any modern fighting game (not the lowest, but that's not exactly a bragging point when you're Bottom 4). While I understand that the percentage was gonna be on the low side already due to every veteran being brought back, it's still an issue all the same. And the current state of the Fighters Pass doesn't exactly help matters. Things look even more grim when you look at ethnic diversity, where you only really have Ryu, Ken (he's 3/4 Japanese, in case you aren't aware), Ganondorf (who's a racist stereotype in & of itself), Joker, Min Min, & Kazuya as far as non-white humanoid characters go. The issue of Smash's anti-Blackness in particular is one that I've covered in length in another thread, so check that out when you get the chance. There's also an issue with body type diversity amongst the ladies, but that's an issue with almost every fighting game (body type diversity as a whole is actually pretty good). But yeah, diversity is the main sticking point with Ultimate's roster, but it's as much a flaw of the industry today as it is a flaw of Ultimate's roster.
    • Obviously this is gonna be debatable depending on who you ask, but I'll just give my thoughts on the matter. Overall, Ultimate does a pretty good job of spreading the love more. DK & Metroid finally got newcomers, Splatoon got its inevitable representation via the Inklings, plus we got the likes of Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, KoF/Fatal Fury, Tekken, & Minecraft in the game. With that said, as we focus more on third-party characters, there's less of an emphasis on lesser-known Nintendo characters. And at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Fighters Pass was filled with third-party characters. It's good for hype, but it kinda deviates from how the series started. Granted, you could argue that Nintendo is running low on somewhat-relevant IPs, but I hope it doesn't come at the cost of a few deeper cuts like Rhythm Heaven in future games. Likewise, Zelda could use a unique newcomer at this point that isn't another variation of Link or Zelda (Impa, Pig Ganon, Tingle, etc.), while Fire Emblem has basically hit critical mass relative to how big it is as a franchise (5 unique characters & 2 echo fighters). So yeah, while there's room for improvement, Smash Ultimate does pretty good considering that it brought everyone back from past Smash games.
  • Guest Characters
    • This is the one thing that I feel like Smash has nailed consistently. Pretty much every third-party character in the game feels like they belong in Smash, & the category of them are vast. From platforming legends like Sonic & Mega Man, to genre-defining titans like Ryu & Hero, plus more recent favorites like Bayonetta & Joker. Plus, especially for the newer third-party characters, Smash does a great job of bringing some of the mechanics of their own games along for the ride. The only gripe I could really say for third-party characters is that they raised the bar to the point where we don't get as many first-party characters as we used to, but that also comes from us having as big of a roster as we have right now. As of now, Smash is the golden standard for how to handle guest characters.
  • Future-Proofing
    • This is another category where Smash Ultimate kinda falters. I understand that Sakurai doesn't want to risk putting in an IP before it has time to prove itself (see ARMS having to wait until FP2 as well as the likes of Ring Fit Adventure & Astral Chain likely having to wait until the next Smash game). And the last time that he included a then-recent character, it kinda back-fired (see Roy). But the instances of future-proofing in Smash are kinda inconsistent. While you have stuff like Luigi's Poltergust G-00 from Luigi's Mansion 3, you also have the Inklings being limited to their Splatoon 1 incarnations. Even Samus is still stuck with her Other M design when Samus Returns was an option (it's even her Fighter Spirit). Likewise, despite both the fans & Intelligent Systems pivoting towards Female Corrin, Smash stuck with Male Corrin as the default. I understand that game development can be tricky when it comes to these kinds of things, but it's stuff like that which sticks out to me as someone who's been following the series for so long. I'm not saying to roll the dice on new IPs, but rather to be more consistent for future-proofing the little things like designs for established characters.

TEKKEN 7 (as of 7/27/21)

xiAwFkn.jpg

Just pretend that Zafina & Leroy Smith are in there.
While the Guest Characters section will apply here, Future-Proofing isn't really a factor since this isn't a crossover fighting game in the way that Smash & MvC are.
  • Roster Size
    • Tekken 7 stands at 51 characters as of Lidia's inclusion. And while they do reuse animations from previous games, you gotta respect Bandai Namco's efforts to get the roster to where it is now. Tag Tournament games aside, this is a massive roster, especially by Tekken standards. It's no "Everyone is Here" like Smash Ultimate, but that's a bit of a tall order. Still, you'll be hard pressed to not find one of your Tekken favorites amongst this roster.
  • Playstyle Diversity
    • Tekken 7 doesn't have much of an issue on this front. You may have a few characters who play similarly, but the roster by & large are vastly different in terms of how each of them bring to the table in terms of fighting style. Even the likes of Armor King play nothing like King despite sharing some moves. Plus it helps that they're in a game that has solid-ass mechanics. You're gonna have fun with this cast, trust me.
  • Fan Requests
    • Tekken 7 is an example of doing a good job of fulfilling fan requests without being a slave to them. They were able to appease demand for characters like Zafina, Lei, Anna, Julia, & a fair share of others. The only prominent fan request left that I'm seeing across social media is for Kiryu from Yakuza (correct me if I'm mistaken, of course), & he could very well be that one character who's coming with a stage at the end of Season 3. Still, appeasing fan demand didn't mean that it held Bandai Namco back from giving us interesting choices like Leroy Smith. I feel like Bandai Namco found a pretty good balance for this roster.
    • This is one thing that gets slept on a lot when it comes to Tekken 7. Like Street Fighter V, Tekken 7's female fighter percentage sits at >30% (which is generally the standard). But on top of that, there are a number of characters from all walks of life on both the gender & ethnicity side of things for diversity. You have a ton of ethnic diversity with characters such as Eddy Gordo, Leroy Smith, Shaheen, Miguel, Josie, Katarina, & a number of others. Not to mention that we have a non-binary character in the form of Leo. Tekken 7 has a lot to offer when it comes to diversity.
    • As far as spreading the love across Tekken, the lion's share of veterans are from 1 & 3. But you'll find a few from 2, 4, 5, & 6. Though to be fair, Tekken 1 is the one that started it all & Tekken 3 is the biggest game in the franchise that put the series on the map for many (myself included). So it's kind of a Street Fighter II situation here. Plus the newcomers we got are a pretty solid batch this time around. Maybe we'll get one more Tekken mainstay since Season 3 has another character without a stage tied to them (to be clear, Character + Stage likely indicates a guest character) coming alongside Leroy Smith, so perhaps said character could give more love to the other 4 Tekken games if they aren't a newcomer.
  • Guest Characters
    • This is one that I have a few thoughts on. Akuma & Geese were perfect choices for guest characters (though they went with extra mile with Akuma considering that he's now canon to the Tekken universe via Tekken 7's story) and I'm glad that they're in the game. They were translated to Smash in a way that I could honestly see the likes of Sakurai doing if he were making a Tekken game (hell, they even brought their super meters with them). And while I feel like he'd fit better in Soul Calibur, Noctis doesn't really feel out-of-place in Tekken 7 (even though I would have preferred Tifa). The only one that actually feels out-of-place is Negan. Granted, I do recognize that he brought a ton of eyes to Tekken 7 & did his job well as a guest character. But in my opinion, it just feels weird to have him here. He plays alright, sure. But him in Tekken 7 feels......off, for lack of a better term. Then again, 3 for 4 isn't bad at all, so I'll give credit where it's due.

If there are any other fighting game rosters you want me to look at, please feel free to let me know & I'll definitely consider it. Hell, I may even add a few fighting game rosters to the analysis section on my own accord (I have a few in mind already). With that said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the topics brought up in this thread. Is there a category that I missed in my analysis? Which one do you feel is the most important for a fighting game roster? Feel free to voice your opinions. That is what this thread is for, after all.

Last edited:

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it to Playstyle Diversity. More archetypes and variants means a better chance everyone can find someone on the roster they gel with.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Playstyle diversity is what matters the most and what brings longevity to a game. A small (starting) roster can be perfectly fine if each character is different enough and offers something new. This is a problem that DBFZ had, and we can see the repercussions in the competitive scene.

Franchise representation and by extension guest characters aren't something that matters to me. It can be a funny gimmick that brings in new eyeballs I guess, but we're living in a FG renaissance where nearly every major fighting game franchise has come back. I don't find this stuff necessary, and some of these are just totally out of place (Negan and Noctis).

Ethnic representation is an interesting one. As a latino I don't really find myself in games often, or at all, and if we're there it's the most base caricature. I gotta admit I was pleasantly surprised that Lucia turned out to be Puerto Rican, and even happier she wasn't turned into a stereotype, which is how Street Fighter usually does it.

Fan requests are a fine thing to include, but being surprised by the unexpected can be even better. I struggled to find a main I was comfortable with in SFV until Ed dropped, an entirely new character.

This thread looks like a lotta work Neoxon, good stuff.
Akuma is not considered a guest character in Tekken 7, since he is cannon and plays a role in the story. Tweeted by Harada himself.
If Capcom doesn't allow it, Harada will never be able to use Akuma in a Tekken game again. Harada can tweet anything he wants, it doesn't change the fact he's a Capcom character and doesn't belong to Tekken or Namco.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
If Capcom doesn't allow it, Harada will never be able to use Akuma in a Tekken game again. Harada can tweet anything he wants, it doesn't change the fact he's a Capcom character and doesn't belong to Tekken or Namco.
A Capcom character that plays a role in the Tekken plot. We're not discussing the rights to use a character on this thread, are we?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A Capcom character that plays a role in the Tekken plot. We're not discussing the rights to use a character on this thread, are we?
We're talking about a fighting game character from another franchise that belongs to another developer and publisher. That Namco inserted Akuma into their story doesn't really change that fact that he's a guest character.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And now the question no longer makes sense.

"What do you think is the most important building block of a good fighting game roster? "

MOST IMPORTANT, yet you can choose more than one?

It was fine as it was.
I sent a request to change the title.

EDIT: Aaaaand they fixed it.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I always like your analyses of FG rosters, OP.

I definitely think Roster Size is super important, to get people in the seats and Playstyle Diversity is also equally important to keep people in those seats. We've seen what becomes of fighting games where playstyle diversity is lacking/the game's balance disproportionately favours one play style over the other.

I think Fan Requests are not that important; for one generally speaking, fan requests tend to be dumb. For another, fan requests should generally be fulfilled by just picking interesting characters for the roster.

I think Gender & Racial Diversity is important in a way few think about. Think about this last Evo, with the characters revealed for Tekken 7 and the new Guilty Gear: while the characters look cool af, do you think they'd have gotten the same pop if they hadn't been black? On the other side of the coin, anecdotal experience though it may be, I've found women tend to select female player characters, especially when their not flopping all over the place. Heck, I was literally told by my sister (a huge Mortal Kombat mark) that she tended to pick men in the older MK games because she was bothered a bit by the female characters and when X and 11 came out she was suddenly all over the women characters. (She used to play Kitana back in the day when they used digitised sprites).

Of course you might say this bit mostly applies to "real life" based games, but it really doesn't. Anime fighters could (should?) try and be more diverse, if only to cast a wider net of audiences. And, you know, representation matters.

Franchise representation is kinda... not that important, imo. I'm of the mind at least, that a roster could be wholly original and still be a good one. Not saying it should or will be, but it can be.

Same with guest characters: a roster should be able to stand on its own. Guests are a nice bonus, as long as they fit the setting and already there characters. Looking at you Neegan.

As for Future Proofing I don't think that's that important either, besides only really applying to cross-over/all-stars or external IP driven franchises. As it stands, with the current business model fighting games have taken, with DLC characters coming after release for extended periods of time, future proofing can, well, be done in the future.

Anyways those are my thoughts on the individual points.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I always like your analyses of FG rosters, OP.

I definitely think Roster Size is super important, to get people in the seats and Playstyle Diversity is also equally important to keep people in those seats. We've seen what becomes of fighting games where playstyle diversity is lacking/the game's balance disproportionately favours one play style over the other.

I think Fan Requests are not that important; for one generally speaking, fan requests tend to be dumb. For another, fan requests should generally be fulfilled by just picking interesting characters for the roster.

I think Gender & Racial Diversity is important in a way few think about. Think about this last Evo, with the characters revealed for Tekken 7 and the new Guilty Gear: while the characters look cool af, do you think they'd have gotten the same pop if they hadn't been black? On the other side of the coin, anecdotal experience though it may be, I've found women tend to select female player characters, especially when their not flopping all over the place. Heck, I was literally told by my sister (a huge Mortal Kombat mark) that she tended to pick men in the older MK games because she was bothered a bit by the female characters and when X and 11 came out she was suddenly all over the women characters. (She used to play Kitana back in the day when they used digitised sprites).

Of course you might say this bit mostly applies to "real life" based games, but it really doesn't. Anime fighters could (should?) try and be more diverse, if only to cast a wider net of audiences. And, you know, representation matters.

Franchise representation is kinda... not that important, imo. I'm of the mind at least, that a roster could be wholly original and still be a good one. Not saying it should or will be, but it can be.

Same with guest characters: a roster should be able to stand on its own. Guests are a nice bonus, as long as they fit the setting and already there characters. Looking at you Neegan.

As for Future Proofing I don't think that's that important either, besides only really applying to cross-over/all-stars or external IP driven franchises. As it stands, with the current business model fighting games have taken, with DLC characters coming after release for extended periods of time, future proofing can, well, be done in the future.

Anyways those are my thoughts on the individual points.
Gender & racial representation in fighting games is something I sadly don't see discussed as much as it should be. And as mentioned before, the growing emphasis on fan requests in fighting games kinda takes away from both forms of diversity. One doesn't have to look further than Smash Ultimate to see my point in action, but its situation regarding gender & racial representation also a result of Ultimate's emphasis on returning veterans (which were also popular request from the Smash Ballot). And yeah, I doubt that Tekken 7 or Guilty Gear's new character reveals would have been as exciting if they weren't examples of black excellence.

Speaking of representation, while I'm glad that we have a Puerto Rican in SFV via Lucia, I wish that they kept her eyes brown like in Final Fight 3.

Final-fight-3-lucia.png

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Era it's good you didn't put nostalgia as an option, because every single vote would've been for that.

My personal priorities are playstyle diversity (absolute biggest priority for obvious reasons), character diversity (mainly because I love the world warrior appeal of SF, Tekken, and SC, even if they've been largely abandoned by now), and fan requests (even if I have no personal attachment to a particular character, seeing thousands of requests for, say, Ridley in Smash and then finally seeing him is incredibly hype). Futureproofing is also pretty nice when used to tease future plotlines or media (like Neo Shadaloo in SFV and some of Smash's reps), but attention is be paid so as to not dilute the essence of the current roster.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Speaking of representation, while I'm glad that we have a Puerto Rican in SFV via Lucia, I wish that they kept her eyes brown like in Final Fight 3.

Final-fight-3-lucia.png
Lucia is such a weird character in therms of representation/diversity: she's now established as Nuyorican (great!) at the same time they've made her more generically blonde (lighter skin, blonder hair, blue eyes) and canonised the decidedly not Puerto Rican/Latinx last name Morgan. Not to imply Puerto Rican people can't be blonde or have anglo names, just, you know, first representation of someone of Puerto Rican descent in a fighting game where everyone is stereotypes is the blondest person in the game is unusual.

I wonder if making her Nuyorican was exclusively a Capcom USA thing. I mean, either way its probably been canonised because Capcom plays it fast and loose with that type of thing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is tough to pick just one because it's a sum of all it's parts tbh. I still voted for play style though because over all the years of various fighting games I've played, even the ones with the smallest rosters were still awesome and it was mostly because each character was unique. The first BlazBlue sprung to mind. 12 characters highly unique from eachother with really different game play mechanics.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Knowing Era it's good you didn't put nostalgia as an option, because every single vote would've been for that.

My personal priorities are playstyle diversity (absolute biggest priority for obvious reasons), character diversity (mainly because I love the world warrior appeal of SF, Tekken, and SC, even if they've been largely abandoned by now), and fan requests (even if I have no personal attachment to a particular character, seeing thousands of requests for, say, Ridley in Smash and then finally seeing him is incredibly hype). Futureproofing is also pretty nice when used to tease future plotlines or media (like Neo Shadaloo in SFV and some of Smash's reps), but attention is be paid so as to not dilute the essence of the current roster.
You bring up a good point regarding Neo-Shadaloo, so much so that I've added it to the OP. As for nostalgia, that kinda goes into Fan Requests.

Lucia is such a weird character in therms of representation/diversity: she's now established as Nuyorican (great!) at the same time they've made her more generically blonde (lighter skin, blonder hair, blue eyes) and canonised the decidedly not Puerto Rican/Latinx last name Morgan.

I wonder if making her Nuyorican was exclusively a Capcom USA thing. I mean, either way its probably been canonised because Capcom plays it fast and loose with that type of thing.
Part of me thinks it's that her English VA (Jeannie Tirado) injected so much of her own heritage into the character that Capcom decided to roll with it. Though I suppose her last name being Morgan is a result of her dad likely being white (basically a West Side Story scenario, as JusDoIt brought up in the SFV OT).

Is tough to pick just one because it's a sum of all it's parts tbh. I still voted for play style though because over all the years of various fighting games I've played, even the ones with the smallest rosters were still awesome and it was mostly because each character was unique. The first BlazBlue sprung to mind.
You know you can vote for more than one option, right?

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You bring up a good point regarding Neo-Shadaloo, so much so that I've added it to the OP.

Part of me thinks it's that her English VA (Jeannie Tirado) injected so much of her own heritage into the character that Capcom decided to roll with it. Though I suppose her last name being Morgan is a result of her dad likely being white (basically a West Side Story scenario, as JusDoIt brought up in the SFV OT).

You know you can vote for more than one option, right?

Had no idea but do now lol
Voted for everything except future proofing heh

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm a long-time player of the genre, not just at home but attending locals and competing in tournaments. It's a genre that I grew up with and love, so I am very particular when it comes to these games.

1. Playstyle diversity is the main thing for me. As long as there's enough variety AND there's a character that I can gel with, I'm good with that game. It'd be boring otherwise.
  2. Franchise/Series representation is pretty important for me too. Not that I don't appreciate the "fresh start" approach that the Street Fighter series uses with each new game (SF2 is different to SF3 which is different to SF4 which is different to SF5, etc.) but I've always preferred the Bamco/ASW school of iterations where characters and rosters are carried over from game to game much more closely, with smaller changes to movelists to fit any new mechanics. I like the idea that I can pick up a new Tekken, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue or Arcana Heart and I can generally jump into it without relearning the game or characters from scratch, just a few adjustments here and there for me to make.
  3. Closely linked to the first two is roster size. Again I prefer games that add more and more to rosters rather than removing or retooling characters wholesale. More options is better than fewer.
  4. Fan requests are great for generating hype for current and lapsed fans of series. SF4 was great with this when the 3rd Strike characters were revealed.
  5. In this current age that we're living in, I'm confident gender and racial diversity will become more even more widespread than they are.
  6. Guest characters? I can take 'em or leave 'em as long as they make sense (Haohmaru in SoulCalibur is a great example) and don't break their respective games.
  7. Can't really comment on future proofing as I don't care much for fighting game stories. Again as long as they don't remove characters or playstyles that I like to play then it's all good.
Just my two pence on the subject.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I think something sfv misses when it comes to play style diversity is playstyles within characters. Feels like every Rashid or Karin plays the same.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
First off big shout-out to you Neoxon for finally getting this thread out. Know you've been working on it for quite a while and it really shows, man.

It's also really hard to pick just one for your poll. 😂 I feel like all of them are very important in their own ways in order to have a really good roster, and it's hard picking a "most important" without seemingly diminishing the importance of the others.

It's understandable why Playstyle Diversity is highest at the moment, since it's something that can easily apply to both the biggest and smallest games. However, I wound up voting for Roster Size, not only because I love my shit as big as possible but also because I'd argue that a hefty roster size facilitates all of the others. The more space you have and allow, the easier it is to emphasize the others without feeling the stress of a zero-sum game.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know enough about fighting games to have any sort of knowledgeable response to this topic, but I just want to say that the OP is fantastic and I had a good time reading it all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Akuma is not considered a guest character in Tekken 7, since he is cannon and plays a role in the story. Tweeted by Harada himself.

Then Smash has no guest character since both sonic and snake were avaliable in Subspace Emissary cutscenes and every single fighter (including dlc) can be used in the World of Light, with most of the dlc of smash 4 being avaliable even in the cutscene for the story mode of smash ultimate

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I think something sfv misses when it comes to play style diversity is playstyles within characters. Feels like every Rashid or Karin plays the same.

It's hard sometimes to separate out how much of it is character design and how much is the way an engine is built. For example, in DBFZ, extremely strong/prevalent universal mechanics like superdash and vanish cause character playstyle diversity to be minimal.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Really good thread first of all.

Playstyle Diversity is ultimately my top choice. I typically only play 1 or 2 characters in a fighting game so as long as I can find ONE character that is for me and as long as fighting against other characters is a different experience then I am happy. For this reason roster size is also unimportant to me barring the most extreme cases like literally 2 characters.

Gender and ethnic diversity would come next as it simply feels like a wasted opportunity everytime there isn't. I like to look at rosters that have a large variety of people's in them and anything else always feels a little too self indulgent for my taste.

The rest don't really appeal to me simply because they are all requirements that make it harder for new IP's to succeed.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Great thread. I don't believe any one of the criteria listed necessarily makes or breaks a roster, but they all contribute to the one thing that does: variety.

Character variety in all ways it can be expressed is how fighting games push their limits and give players more reason to explore.

The most important forms of variety are mechanics and fighting styles, but a diversity of identities represented is essential as well.

Part of me thinks it's that her English VA (Jeannie Tirado) injected so much of her own heritage into the character that Capcom decided to roll with it. Though I suppose her last name being Morgan is a result of her dad likely being white (basically a West Side Story scenario, as @JusDoIt brought up in the SFV OT).

I'm pretty sure she was intended to be Latina in Final Fight 3. That's what we all assumed when the game came out at least. Lucia is not a common anglo name.

And my West Side Story head-cannon was mostly jokes. I don't think Capcom has put much thought into her background. I think they made her eyes blue and gave her the last name Morgan just because she's American and that's America to them.

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I think ranking them is the best thing in this. All of these are building blocks, it's just a matter of what is more important.

My issue here is how I'd actually rank each and every single one of those.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Then Smash has no guest character since both sonic and snake were avaliable in Subspace Emissary cutscenes and every single fighter (including dlc) can be used in the World of Light, with most of the dlc of smash 4 being avaliable even in the cutscene for the story mode of smash ultimate
I personally do not consider Smash a fighting game, but that's another topic.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I really hate the demand of legacy being the first demand out of most fighting games. My favorite fighters are the ones that put legacy characters on the back burner in favor of new ensembles.

Garou and SF3:2I are among some of my favorite fighters for that reason alone.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think for me it's a combination of roster size and play style diversity. A small roster is unappealing but if every character plays totally different from one another, that's great. Still sucks that it's such a small roster though. On the other hand, a large roster is only great imo if characters play differently from one another AND every character is at least somewhat viable. When I was playing Tekken 7 I would run into tons of different characters online because the game seems so well balanced. Then you've got some games like MvC2 where the large roster is mostly for show because most of the characters really suck, BBTAG where there's a large roster but a handful of them DOMINATE the shit out of the rest, or DBFZ where the roster is a decent size but again, some characters and teams are just so much better than others and they all play very similarly.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally do not consider Smash a fighting game, but that's another topic.

It's considered a fighting game for the sake of this topic, considering that it's cited quite liberally by the OP.

At any rate, it would appear that Geralt is canon to Soulcalbur and Akira and Sarah are canon to Dead or Alive, just from the games I've played, so whether or not something is canon seems irrelevant.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
It's considered a fighting game for the sake of this topic, considering that it's cited quite liberally by the OP.

At any rate, it would appear that Geralt is canon to Soulcalbur and Akira and Sarah are canon to Dead or Alive, just from the games I've played, so whether or not something is canon seems irrelevant.
I don't want an argument about that. Let's say you win, and I lose, and move on, shall we?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I think the roster at it's base should have characters with good designs(visually)....When people try out new fighting games, more people want to play someone who looks cool and then see if the playstyle suits them, not the other way round...

So at the core, is good looking designs, after that playstyle diversity, then roster size.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Hones
I hope you didn't voted for Playstyle Diversity xD
Honestly? I voted for "Gender & Racial Diversity". Fighting games are getting better at representing as many different people as possible, and OP explained how pretty well, I think. I was particularly surprised, and genuinely glad, when Shaheen was announced for Tekken 7, for example.

There is still some progress to make in that field of course, but fighting games are on a good track, I hope.

And if I might add, Tekken is a very good example of playstyle diversity, if you ask me.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Honestly? I voted for "Gender & Racial Diversity". Fighting games are getting better at representing as many different people as possible, and OP explained how pretty well, I think. I was particularly surprised, and genuinely glad, when Shaheen was announced for Tekken 7, for example.

There is still some progress to make in that field of course, but fighting games are on a good track, I hope.

And if I might add, Tekken is a very good example of playstyle diversity, if you ask me.

It was a joke about how by drawing the line of smash as "not a fighting game" you are actually making the fighting game genre feel small and with less ... playstyle diversity since you are limiting the potential of the genre to lifebars

and now you made it weird xD

But yeah I agree with your post here

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
It was a joke about how by drawing the line of smash as "not a fighting game" you are actually making the fighting game genre feel small and with less ... playstyle diversity since you are limiting the potential of the genre to lifebars

and now you made it weird xD

But yeah I agree with your post here
"Weird" is my middle name.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
✔All of the Above

Smash is the standard all the big boys should be chasing. It's been rewarded with 13 million+ copies sold in less than a year. Small ass rosters + nickel and diming with DLC hasn't been nearly as successful.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
✔All of the Above

Smash is the standard all the big boys should be chasing. It's been rewarded with 13 million+ copies sold in less than a year. Small ass rosters + nickel and diming with DLC hasn't been nearly as successful.
As mentioned in the OP, Smash Ultimate isn't exactly perfect. Its roster does show its flaws when it comes to gender & racial diversity as well as (to a smaller extent) future-proofing. Not to mention that Smash Ultimate's approach isn't exactly feasible for most developers.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think playstyle diversity is the first factor like the poll suggest. Guilty Gear Xrd is considered one of the best fighting game of this gen and I'd say one of the least diverse in playstyle between characters (which is not a problem). GG encourage in an extreme amount to be aggressive. Everything in this game rewards aggressive play. Also the majority (though not all) of the characters' basic game plan is to score a knockdown then deploy them sick setups. You don't have defensive characters like Guile, the closest one being Potemkin and even then.

I think franchise representation is the biggest factor. There's a reason why smash character speculation threads have insane amount of traffic. Poeple care a lot about the characters themselves being in, less about how they play. Which is why SF4 had the good idea to represent the sf2 characters unlike SF3 which bombed initially.

Analyzing Various Fighting Game Rosters - Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I did say that I would go back & check out other fighting game rosters & judge them by the criteria in the OP, and I'm a man of my word. So yeah, here's one that I wanted to do from the start, UMvC3. Because outside of one thing, it's a pretty good example of every point I've made in the OP (well, almost every point that's relevant to UMvC3, anyway).

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3

maxresdefault.jpg

Pretty much every category applies here except the Guest Characters category.
  • Roster Size
    • It may seem relatively small in a post-Smash Ultimate world, but being 2nd place behind the behemoth that is Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (the game that liberally reused sprites) is no small feat. And this is with a roster that had to be made completely from scratch as well as in collaboration with one of the biggest properties in the world. The fact that this roster is as good as it is here is rather impressive. Granted, it's not perfect, & I'll get into that later. But by & large, this is the Marvel vs. Capcom series' best roster by miles.
  • Playstyle Diversity
    • I say that last sentence from the Roster Size section because this roster is really diverse. I already brought up the X-23 example earlier, so I won't retread similar ground. But yeah, you'll be hard-pressed to find any similarities among the roster. And the one character who borrows moves from others, Taskmaster, actually makes sense for his character (& funny enough, we got him before we got Hawkeye). But yeah, every character in UMvC3 brings something different to the table, & that's something I respect.
  • Fan Requests
    • UMvC3 does make use of adding in fan-requested characters, but shows a fair bit of restraint in doing so. For Vanilla MvC3, the main fan requests we got were Wesker, Dante, & Sentinel. While Ultimate gave us Vergil, Phoenix Wright, & Strider Hiryu as far as fan demands go. Notice how out of all of them, only one of the characters is Marvel. This was the first set of MvC game where Marvel started to take control over their own character picks. And while that does make sense on paper given that they own the Marvel side (more so in Ultimate, but I'll get to that later), the results of this ended up disastrous as we go into MvCI's Marvel side. With that said, they at least heard what Capcom had to say, as Capcom's begging resulted in the inclusions of both Sentinel & Shuma-Gorath. And overall, Capcom did pretty good with including some of the big requests (though not all of them *looks at X*).
      • Fun Fact: Fan-requested characters X & Gene were among the cut 8 characters for UMvC3 (the ones that would have been included if UMvC3 wasn't rushed out the door). X eventually got in MvCI, but Gene wasn't so lucky.
  • Gender & Racial Diversity
    • UMvC3's female fighter ratio sits at an even 26% (13 out of 50) which, while not great, could be worse. But diversity on both fronts is honestly one of the few failings of UMvC3's roster. Given the vast array of Marvel characters, I'm a bit surprised that Storm is the only black hero we got (especially when Black Panther was an option). Even Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers, who went by Ms. Marvel at the time before Kamala Khan eventually adopted the name) was left out of the roster despite being a pretty big request amongst Marvel fans from what I remember. Likewise, the Capcom side has zero black or brown characters, though we do have 2 Japanese fighters (Ryu & Akuma) & 1 Chinese fighter (Chun-Li).......and I guess Phoenix Wright for Japanese, but his localization can get weird. And if you want to count The Legend of Chun-Li for whatever reason, Crimson Viper is of Thai descent (her ethnicity has yet to be explained in-game, so this is a bit of a stretch). Still, UMvC3 could have done a lot better when it comes to diversity. And if MvC gets another shot, I hope this is rectified.
      • Fun Fact: Had UMvC3 not been rushed out, we could have had characters like Miles Morales in the game (yes, he was one of the cut 8 characters), which could have helped with the game's racial representation problem.
    • UMvC3 did MUCH better on this front than MvC2. While I understand that MvC2 was more-or-less an official Mugen game, it still resulted in an abundance of X-Men & Street Fighter characters. Yeah, I get it, they were huge at the time, but there's such a thing as overkill. Thankfully, UMvC3 showed much more restraint when it comes to both properties. They still make up a sizable chunk of the roster, but they aren't far & away the majority anymore. This can be in part thanks to the fact that the MCU was on its way to becoming one of the biggest things in the world (keep in mind, this game was released a year before Avengers 1.....months before in UMvC3's case). And yeah, Marvel & Capcom did a solid job in giving various properties decent amounts of love.
  • Future-Proofing
    • Outside of its gender & racial diversity issues, UMvC3 is one of those rare cases where the roster of its kind aged like fine wine, & there's a reason for that. Back in the late 2000's & early 2010's, Marvel Studios (Kevin Feige's division for the MCU movies & Disney+ shows) was still part of Marvel Entertainment (basically everything else). As such, Marvel Games had a better idea of Kevin Feige's plans for the MCU in the long-term. That's why we have characters like Rocket Raccoon & Doctor Strange before they became household names. Even Hawkeye was a smart choice considering what was coming for the MCU (though if I had to choose between him & Black Widow, I would have gone for Natasha). They were pretty smart calls on Marvel's part in retrospect. Actually, it's kind of funny to look back on the hate that Rocket got, not knowing that he would someday have a major role in the biggest movie of all time at the box office (I'm referring to Avengers: Endgame, obviously).

As mentioned in the OP, let me know if there are any other fighting game rosters that you want me to cover. Just make sure they're somewhat recent & have a decent amount of general awareness.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
I would say playstyle diversity is the most important thing, but it's a combination of multiple things. You can't ignore fans favorite characters, or racial&gender diversity just to get a rooster with diverse playstyle. For example imagine an SF game without Akuma, Ken and other shotos just because they don't want to have multiple characters with similar style.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games are international from roster to stages to playerbase. As such, racial & gender diversity is second to only playstyle diversity. If the latter is the substance, the former is the style that is needed for a fighting game to become appealing to as many people as possible.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I request a review of Dragon Ball FighterZ

ZVdSLfZ.png

Since it is named Dragon Ball Fighter Z because it will get a Z grade on everything else that is not roster size =P
I mean it literally has more gokus than women.

I mean they eve could have put a char that would have helped with every single category in the name of Arale.
A woman with a non traditional body shape that is a guest character that makes perfect sense and is a considerable fan requestec character and for being a comedic character she would absolutely have a non kamehameha playstyle

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
A good mix of playstyle diversity, roster size, good representation of the franchise and obviously taking characters people actually like into account (fan requests/fan favorites)