Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Canada's postal workers are dialing up the pressure after the Liberal government in Ottawa passed back-to-work legislation widely seen as unconstitutional.

Following a month of rotating strikes at Canada Post facilities aimed at drawing attention to heavy workloads and unsafe work conditions, the Liberal government passed heavy-handed back-to-work legislation this week with the support of Andrew Scheer's Conservatives...

Rallies are being organized across Canada this weekend to show support for the rights and freedoms of postal workers.

Meanwhile, postal workers and their allies are participating in acts of "non-violent civil disobedience" by staging protests at Canada Post facilities and the offices of Liberal MPs, including Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Source: https://pressprogress.ca/the-govern...-now-protests-are-breaking-out-across-canada/

The article goes into more detail about the recent legislation, how it may violate the Charter and, most important of all, why Canada Post workers are striking. Namely, concerns over workplace safety (out of 50,000 employees, there have been 30,877 injuries in the last four years, almost half of which are classified as disabling) and a wage gap between rural and urban employees.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despicable. What is happening to our government?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is a dangerous time of year to piss off postal workers.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I had a package skip to monday because they blocked the road on friday. Good on them, too many workers are cowed nowadays and think the time of unions are past.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This is a dangerous time of year to piss off postal workers.

I mean they were already on strike, mail was getting backlogged and was only going to get worse. The workers didn't want to accept CP's offer and the government felt it was either this or let the holiday season fall apart due to lack of postal service if they continued striking.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The strikes was hitting the eCommerce sector hard, and had the possibility of leading to layoffs as a result. Canada Post workers putting their lively hoods above other hard work Canadians.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm really conflicted on how I feel on this whole topic. On one hand, I definitely agree that the worker injury statistics are insane and really should be addressed. On the other hand, I don't support the postal workers effectively holding Christmas ransom for Canadians, and so I support the back to work legislation.

Basically I put small business owners + Canadian families over the postal workers.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they were already on strike, mail was getting backlogged and was only going to get worse. The workers didn't want to accept CP's offer and the government felt it was either this or let the holiday season fall apart due to lack of postal service if they continued striking.

It's about safety. Folks need to get on board or the workers should
S9kLiKY.gif

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Angry Canadian postal workers are most likely more civil and kinder than their American counterparts.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The strikes was hitting the eCommerce sector hard, and had the possibility of leading to layoffs as a result. Canada Post workers putting their lively hoods above other hard work Canadians.
If you are being negatively effected you should call your representative and petition them to settle with the union. Strikes disrupt systems by design, labour is the one resource available to the worker that can be meaningfully withheld.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm really conflicted on how I feel on this whole topic. On one hand, I definitely agree that the worker injury statistics are insane and really should be addressed. On the other hand, I don't support the postal workers effectively holding Christmas ransom for Canadians, and so I support the back to work legislation.

Basically I put small business owners + Canadian families over the postal workers.

Maybe the government shouldn't be a bunch of selfish pricks and give the workers what they need.

Get mad at the bosses, not the workers. Tell your government to agree to their demands.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe the government shouldn't be a bunch of selfish pricks and give the workers what they need.

Get mad at the bosses, not the workers. Tell your government to agree to their demands.

I'm not "mad" at anyone, I'm not writing frothing critiques of postal workers on Twitter like some people I've seen. I just don't support holding packages during the busiest shipping season of the year, it's an essential service. I also don't agree that the government should just bend over for CUPW either. This is between CUPW and Canada Post, the workers are just caught in the middle.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm not "mad" at anyone, I'm not writing frothing critiques of postal workers on Twitter like some people I've seen. I just don't support holding packages during the busiest shipping season of the year, it's an essential service.
Are you kidding striking during the busiest shipping season of the year is the best time to do it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are you kidding striking during the busiest shipping season of the year is the best time to do it.

Not for Canadians. Should hospitals close because they have unfair contracts? Should we close schools? Turn off power?

Definitely not. There are thousands of business across the country that rely on packages being delivered quickly and properly.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But this is the best time of year for them to go on a strike

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "mad" at anyone, I'm not writing frothing critiques of postal workers on Twitter like some people I've seen. I just don't support holding packages during the busiest shipping season of the year, it's an essential service.

The easiest way to keep essential services running is too make sure that those operating it are treated fairly. Reap what you sow and all that jazz.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Not for Canadians. Should hospitals close because they have unfair contracts? Should we close schools? Turn off power?

Definitely not. There are thousands of business across the country that rely on packages being delivered quickly and properly.

Yes, yes, and yes. The entire point of a strike is for labor say "you need us so you're going to give us what we need"

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

You realize hospital strikes and teacher strikes have happened before? This time of year being what it is makes the best possible time to strike

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
That one sign "restore door-to-door"... it's dead Jim.

Postal workers shouldn't be able to strike. It's a necessary service.

They caused one hell of a disruption
If they're that essential they should be paid what they're worth.

Meanwhile UPS, FedEx, etc. must be working savage hours to deliver all the shit amazon is shipping out.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
That one sign "restore door-to-door"... it's dead Jim.

If they're that essential they should be paid what they're worth.

Meanwhile UPS, FedEx, etc. must be working savage hours to deliver all the shit amazon is shipping out.
hmm maybe, but all of my Amazon packages have still come Canada Post as of late, may be different out east though

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note, the Government supported and offered binding arbitration.

The union refuses to negotiate.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Strikes are like the last line of defends the working class has and some people on ERA want that removed as an option cause they may be slightly inconvenienced. Why am I not surprised at all.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not "mad" at anyone, I'm not writing frothing critiques of postal workers on Twitter like some people I've seen. I just don't support holding packages during the busiest shipping season of the year, it's an essential service. I also don't agree that the government should just bend over for CUPW either. This is between CUPW and Canada Post, the workers are just caught in the middle.

Workers' rights are more important than a package from Amazon.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
How is that any different from say a protest causing traffic and detours, thus other people being late to work and/or feeling the effects? Are you okay with that?

Mail wasn't delivered for some time and was kept in shipping containers. The mail strike kept people from getting important documents, pay stubs, and packages, and Canada Post said people probably wouldn't get their Christmas presents.

That's a lot different than a one day protest and the caused inconveniences.

Though I have never had anything to do with organized protests and see very little comparison in severity.

It's funny how we get Americans posting here who weren't even affected and didn't follow it. Or know it was happening. Yet know all that should have happened.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but mail is an essential service and they fucked a lot of people over. People who did nothing wrong and are still feeling the effects.

Yeah, like the fucking postal workers.... The strikers didnt do this to the people, the government did. Place that blame where it belongs. I fucking hate it when people try this bullshit.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
As a Canadian, I'm obviously inconvenienced by this to a degree, but I also understand the point of it. The postal workers were hoping things would be different under a liberal government, since this is not the first time they've been forced back to work by government mandate. At that time, however, it was a PC administration in control. I feel bad, because on the one hand, I understand the government wanting to come down hard so as not to inconvenience the general citizenry. On the other though, I can see why the workers are striking, and while inconvenient to me, it's just that; an inconvenience. I was hoping the current liberal government would be a little more sympathetic to workers trying to stand up for themselves. It's disappointing that they're not.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
So should they continue working without a contract forever? The government has had ample time to settle up, the old contract expired a year ago.
Not gonna pretend to know how their contract works exactly but my unions contract expired about 5 or so years ago, we've been chugging along without issue since then. It can work for more than a year for sure, definitely not ideal though.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Yes, yes, and yes. Do you understand the purpose of a strike at all? Workers have rights. Their safety trumps your stupid packages.

Oct 29, 2017
Mail wasn't delivered for some time and was kept in shipping containers. The mail strike kept people from getting important documents, pay stubs, and packages, and Canada Post said people probably wouldn't get their Christmas presents.

That's a lot different than a one day protest and the caused inconveniences.

Though I have never had anything to do with organized protests and see very little comparison in severity.

It's funny how we get Americans posting here who weren't even affected and didn't follow it. Or know it was happening. Yet know all that should have happened.

I don't need to be a damn Canadian to support my fellow workers. I support teachers, hospital workers AND postal workers who strike over bad pay and unsafe working environments.

I'm incredibly disappointed by people in here not supporting their fellow worker.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
AKA: The Government offered a crappy deal that didn't actually solve the problems they were striking over and the Union said no.

How is this a crappy deal? Especially if both sides got to choose the pannel.

The union is not looking for a "fair deal", they are looking to flex power... Let's ask the GM employees how thats worked for them.