• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I played it for the first time a few months ago, and even the most ardent fans of the game have to admit that having to restart a level after getting a star is fucking terrible.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Mario game.

It get's a free pass on silly things like that.
No it doesn't.

+How do stars open a door?
+How can a Yoshi hatch from an egg and grow into an adult in seconds?
+Why did Bullet Bills evolve to have arms when they never use them?

It's like Nintendo isn't even trying.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I...really don't have a response to this other than i 100% disagree with almost every single word you typed.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Ehh. You aren't exactly wrong, OP... but this feels like looking at the prehistoric drawings in the cave of Altamira I thinking "Pfft most children nowadays can draw better than this".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I played it for the first time a few months ago, and even the most ardent fans of the game have to admit that having to restart a level after getting a star is fucking terrible.

A lot of the Stars are put in places where you would be unable to backtrack or it would be impractical to do so, anyway. There's only a few levels where I think this becomes an issue, like Rainbow Ride where you have to repeat the same on-rails segments over and over with little control or freedom.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Threads in which someone tries to explain or judge from today's perspective why a game from 20+ years ago isn't as good or groundbreaking as everyone thinks it is really are the silliest ones. Mario 64 was and is an earthshattering achievement that rightfully blew everyone's mind and many things it did still hold up today. Yes, it could have done some things better, but that's easy to say after more than two decades of evolution in game design and technology.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
You stating that the game was "objectively bad" in the Dunkey thread makes me think that you are intensely biased against this game for some reason. No one in their right mind would state that SM64 is bad objectively. Subjectively, sure; Knock yourself out. But really the only way that a game can be "objectively bad" is if the mechanics/programming of the game never works well enough to be playable for a large majority of people that play it, which absolutely cannot be said about SM64. Especially in the era that it released.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity how old are you? 3D gaming has evolved since then.
It's still a masterpiece and perfectly playable nowadays, which is not the case of the majority of the 3D games of that period. That's quite telling IMO.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The castle is a safe area for the player to learn how to play in and offers choice in progression.

Jun 26, 2018
I am actually curious about this as well. Never thought about it but I'm Australian so PAL was my life. When I was researching Diddy Kong Racing I remember reading that the game ran like 8% slower or something like that? So this could definitely be a factor.

I've primarily played Mario 64 in a emulated version (wii) which I assume is the NTSC version, I did however try the game once on a friends original pal system and I remember it feeling really off from how I know the game, a lot less responsive.

OP's Origins + "too olds to criticize"
OP
OP
Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
several people said:
What are you doing criticizing such an old game for? It's like criticizing caveman drawings
also several people said:
The game is a masterpiece and holds up today, one of the best games of all time

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is what I mean by Super Mario 64 is sacrosanct. All arguments are equally unviable against it because it has every excuse behind it.

Out of curiosity how old are you? 3D gaming has evolved since then.
It's still a masterpiece and perfectly playable nowadays, which is not the case of the majority of the 3D games of that period. That's quite telling IMO.
27, but I was a generation behind in consoles growing up as I got my older brother's leftovers, so I was playing SNES when N64 happened, and N64 when Gamecube happened etc. I ended up going through roughly the same order of games as someone born in the 80's.

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Never finished Mario 64, even at the time I got a bit bored about half way through. Think it's the need to go back to older stages to get some extra stars (usually the less interesting ones by that point) to open up doors in the hubworld that always gets me. The 'restart level after collecting a star' issue that other posters mentioned probably makes this worse too, while a game like Banjo or Spyro would keep the momentum going until you 100% the level (or as much as you can with your current abilities)

Newer 3D Mario games have a similar issue for me, but they tend to have more interesting challenges to go through to unlock the next new set of levels, while Odyssey has so many optional moons to collect it never becomes a problem

For a 3rd person 3D game at the time though, Mario 64 was a incredible leap forward in terms of control and design

Last edited:

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From all the videogame hot takes, you do not mess with SM64. Really. The only person I have ever known who has defied this game is probably halfway crazy, so I think something may be wrong with you OP.

Joking aside, there's not much to counter argue. Topic is just bollocks.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The hub is actually great, you can find secrets and you have to explore

We have open world games in 2019 where the entire world feels like a level select screen, and yet Mario 64 has a hub world that feels like more than that, with secrets a sense of mystery

Being locked to sections until you get enough stars keeps you locked to a certain few levels so the difficulty curve still works, while still giving the player choice on what to do next, and getting through a barrier and onto the next part of the castle/set of levels gives the player a good sense of progression

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see people act like Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game to "feel good" when Quake came out a bit earlier and has aged dramatically better

I'd argue Quake was also way more influential to modern games, since it's the template for pretty much every FPS since

Feelings vs Facts

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Floatiness and sluggishness are quantifiable, you can measure and observe them.
Oh cool, do you have those measurements or know where they can be found for SM64 (a cursory Google search didn't really come up with much)? What is the objective, quantifiable level where a game becomes sluggish and floaty? Do you have comparisons on these measurement levels to other games?

I'll re-emphasise here, I think SM64's controls are great - never had an issue with floatiness of sluggishness myself - but you can't take the 'feel' factor out of something like this. There are objective values involved (the time spent in the air when jumping, the arch made by the character, the length of time it takes for Mario to start running after you move the stick) but there are a lot of factors which affect how it's interpreted by the player

OP
OP
Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll re-emphasise here, I think SM64's controls are great - never had an issue with floatiness of sluggishness myself - but you can't take the 'feel' factor out of something like this. There are objective values involved (the time spent in the air when jumping, the arch made by the character, the length of time it takes for Mario to start running after you move the stick) but there are a lot of factors which affect how it's interpreted by the player

This is such a good post. Especially having just come out of a 2 hour discussion with my friend about how "objectively/irrefutably good" SM64 controls are simply due to most people having that opinion.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about how Mario controls in 64. Whereas Sunshine somehow made movement even better, the way Mario moves and maintains momentum in 64 still blows my mind.

I believe the initial development period of the game was just programmers focusing on making Mario feel good, and it certainly shows.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
1) SM64 still has by far the best hub world. I like the maze like castle, feels like I'm exploring a place that could have secrets anywhere - and it does
2) This is correct. With the benefit of hindsight, the game should give you an option to go straight to another star, though given that the world changes with some star challenges, I don't see they can escape putting you back at your initial point, though you could at least lose the bit where you leave the painting.
3) Never had an issue with the controls. Camera is now dated, yes.
4) Aside from a few starts which were clearly filler, I thought the level design was great.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Imagine having this take on one of the most influential games of all time. Bad controls and level design ? You're taking the piss surely.
Can't wait for your insightful critique of Pong or Doom (1993) next.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Isle Delfino wasn't possible on the N64, and any game that attempted open world had to use the notorious fog to hide the fact that they couldn't draw out very far. Nintendo obviously wanted to avoid fog at all costs. The castle is the workaround, it acts as a hub but has very short draw distances and can be easily segmented for fitting each part into RAM.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I feel that, for a game that's all about huge open spaces, you spend too much time fidgeting around on/in weirdly narrow ledges and cramped spaces.

Also, it's ugly.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are constructing your arguments from a 'I don't like this' point of view, which is really poor to make a case against. Give us non-biased arguments in stead of your tastes.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You are constructing your arguments from a 'I don't like this' point of view, which is really poor to make a case against. Give us non-biased arguments in stead of your tastes.

Hyper nerds trying to frame their subjective experience with a piece of media as something that's objectively quantifiable is why we can't have nice things.

OP can pretend that this thread was created in good faith for the sake of discussion but their posts from the dunkey thread already contradict that. Not to mention that any argument made against theirs is met with "See??? You can't criticize Mario 64 😂"

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It was 1996

Weird to see people act like Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game to "feel good" when Quake came out a bit earlier and has aged dramatically better

I'd argue Quake was also way more influential to modern games, since it's the template for pretty much every FPS since

A bit before? Quake released literally 1 day before SM64 did in Japan.

Last edited:

Carvel

Nov 6, 2017
Mainz, Germany
I disagree with most of your points, OP. They mostly seem to be constructed around highlighting flaws of the game that - after more than 20 years - definitely exist, but are still outweighed by some timeless design choices. The purity of acrobatic movement within the game world alone is fueling the game to a level where it's no surprise that the simple yard in front of the castle can grasp peoples attention, just fooling around for hours. In this context, the disconnection between the levels and the hub - even their weird self-containment - don't matter as much to the experience you have once you're traversing them.

However, I respect your opinion - I have a very similar personal, subjective bias against Ocarina of Time that probably doesn't resonate well with the collective opinion of the game :D

OP
OP
Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I say this in the OP:

"And obviously, obviously this is an opinion piece. "
But also, every review is biased. I presented aspects of the game I feel were poor. That was my experience.

I remember reading a funny article a while ago about an "unbiased review" for a store. It went something like
some article said:
"The store had a door. The door had glass panes but was mostly made out of wood. There was staff present that, when questioned, provided answers. The store contained the following items: Pots, Pans, Knives, Forks, Tablecloths, Plates, Cups[...] These items had price tags attached to them, I was able to purchase these items by providing the store with the dollar amounts listed
etc.

No review is ever unbiased, you can only provide your feelings and experiences with the game. Where are all the non-biased reviews praising the game? You can't just have them say "the controls feel wonderful and precise" because that is equally biased. That's how opinions work.

OP can pretend that this thread was created in good faith for the sake of discussion but their posts from the dunkey thread already contradict that. Not to mention that any argument made against theirs is met with "See??? You can't criticize Mario 64 😂"
This is ridiculous, my opening premise is that I accept the game is widely considered to be good. My issue with the dunkey video was him saying the controls were 'Inherently enjoyable' to which I strongly disagreed, and provided my own experience, to which people disregarded as trolling.

You'll notice how I'm not quoting every person in the thread who disagrees and saying they're wrong, but instead addressing the people who make dismissive retorts about the validity of my (and at least a few others in this threads) experiences?

I say you can't criticize Mario 64 not because people disagree, but because people dismiss the notion that it's possible to hold that belief "In Good Faith".

So yeah, proving my point.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, do you have those measurements or know where they can be found for SM64 (a cursory Google search didn't really come up with much)? What is the objective, quantifiable level where a game becomes sluggish and floaty? Do you have comparisons on these measurement levels to other games?

I'll hazard a guess that Mario 64 performs better in these categories than other games not judged as harshly by OP. Mario Galaxy, a game which definitely does not have poor controls, is definitely floatier than Mario 64.
Therefore I say whatever subjective problem OP has with Mario's movement in 64 does not relate to the responsiveness or how gravity affects him.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the rest of world release is especially relevant. The game was made and out there.

I'd argue the western release is much more relevant, since this is an English speaking forum and I sincerely doubt many people here played the game before the western release.

We could go back further, though, if you really want. There were plenty of games on PC especially that were doing 3D and doing it well before SM64. Hell, SM64 wasn't even nearly as influential as people claim - 3D platformers of its kind are practically a dead genre outside of newer Mario games and a handful of deliberate throwbacks.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm in the same boat. I respect Super Mario 64 for what it did at the time, but I had played already quite a few 3D platformers (including Mario ones) by the time I got around to actually playing it. Most of its accomplishments were stuff I took for granted, and so I didn't really get a lot out of this. Not a big fan of its structure, find it kinda gross looking, and it simply has more levels I'd rather not want to be in than ones I do. For both my attempts to play this, the later half of this game consisted of me looking for easy hidden stars to I can meet the bare minimum to progress. In all fairness though, I'm not that into the collect-a-thon platformer genre in general. It was always going to have an uphill battle for reasons beyond its control.

I'm also not sure why Mario punches or kicks in this either, especially when the game doesn't really do much with it.

I disagree with most of your points, OP. They mostly seem to be constructed around highlighting flaws of the game that - after more than 20 years - definitely exist, but are still outweighed by some timeless design choices. The purity of acrobatic movement within the game world alone is fueling the game to a level where it's no surprise that the simple yard in front of the castle can grasp peoples attention, just fooling around for hours. In this context, the disconnection between the levels and the hub - even their weird self-containment - don't matter as much to the experience you have once you're traversing them.

However, I respect your opinion - I have a very similar personal, subjective bias against Ocarina of Time that probably doesn't resonate well with the collective opinion of the game :D
I definitely understand its purpose and appeal during the 90s, but do you expect people to still do this nowadays? When I played it in the 2000s, I walked inside immediately. I didn't have to learn how analogue sticks worked.

Ocarina of Time is a good comparison. That's another influential, important game, but for someone late to the party, it's not going to be the same experience as someone who played it back in the day. When I played Ocarina, it was mainly the dungeon layouts, and use of the ocarina that that had to carry the experience.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I'm less interested in debating your opinions as i am how I can prove that you're OBJECTIVELY wrong. I mean: the castle is annoying because 'in universe it wouldn't be maze like'. This is the very definition of what the in universe castle would be, and its not even maze like in the game!

SM64 sold 11.91 million copies and the N64 sold 32.93 million. So technically you'd be in the majority of 63.8% N64 owners.

Ah but - I played it after borrowing from a friend, which used to be much more of a thing! Reckon it nets out 70% played it

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
You criticize the level design and then cite tiny-huge as the one good example? Dude what, tiny huge is easily the worst designed level of the game. Yes worse than rainbow ride.