• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP's Origins + "too olds to criticize"
  • OP
    OP
    Larrikin

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
    several people said:
    What are you doing criticizing such an old game for? It's like criticizing caveman drawings
    also several people said:
    The game is a masterpiece and holds up today, one of the best games of all time

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is what I mean by Super Mario 64 is sacrosanct. All arguments are equally unviable against it because it has every excuse behind it.

Out of curiosity how old are you? 3D gaming has evolved since then.
    It's still a masterpiece and perfectly playable nowadays, which is not the case of the majority of the 3D games of that period. That's quite telling IMO.
    27, but I was a generation behind in consoles growing up as I got my older brother's leftovers, so I was playing SNES when N64 happened, and N64 when Gamecube happened etc. I ended up going through roughly the same order of games as someone born in the 80's.

Last edited:
    Feelings vs Facts
  • Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
    Banned
    Jan 9, 2019
    Floatiness and sluggishness are quantifiable, you can measure and observe them.
    Oh cool, do you have those measurements or know where they can be found for SM64 (a cursory Google search didn't really come up with much)? What is the objective, quantifiable level where a game becomes sluggish and floaty? Do you have comparisons on these measurement levels to other games?

I'll re-emphasise here, I think SM64's controls are great - never had an issue with floatiness of sluggishness myself - but you can't take the 'feel' factor out of something like this. There are objective values involved (the time spent in the air when jumping, the arch made by the character, the length of time it takes for Mario to start running after you move the stick) but there are a lot of factors which affect how it's interpreted by the player