• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Silence. Oooooo. a bunch of monsters hunt by sound, and Sabrina the deaf witch girl fights them or something. with her mom(or is it Aunt) and her dad stan tucci. Sound familiar? Watching this now, not felling it yet, though I'm at the first few minutes. anyone else see this?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched it, it had a couple decent scenes but overall it was really generic.
I really liked the scene of a wood chipper sucking up the bat monsters and shooting out mush, a really ingenious way of killing those things that's not talked about or brought up in the rest of the movie lol.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Silence. Oooooo. a bunch of monsters hunt by sound, and Sabrina the deaf witch girl fights them or something. with her mom(or is it Aunt) and her dad stan tucci. Sound familiar? Watching this now, not felling it yet, though I'm at the first few minutes. anyone else see this?
I don't know anything about the quality of the movie (although the book is pretty good), but you would probably be better able to have a valid determination of the movie if we could be spared your postings for like, 2 hours.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
New York Times:

For Shane Van Dyke, who wrote the script with his brother Carey, such "mockbuster" enterprises are his business: His credits include off-brand entertainments like "Transmorphers 2" and "Paranormal Entity," and he even wrote and directed "Titanic II," a disaster film set on a replica ship 100 years after the original voyage.

Holy shit.

Also, this is a scary thought.

There may come a time when the Netflix algorithm grows sophisticated enough to cut out the middle man and write its own scripts, but until that day arrives, niche-targeted dreck like "The Silence" will have to suffice.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Introducing a human antagonist in the last 20 minutes was a bad move. Maybe introducing one at all was a bad move.

It's a bad movie and Stanley Tucci's performance tells me that he knew it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For Shane Van Dyke, who wrote the script with his brother Carey, such "mockbuster" enterprises are his business: His credits include off-brand entertainments like "Transmorphers 2" and "Paranormal Entity," and he even wrote and directed "Titanic II," a disaster film set on a replica ship 100 years after the original voyage.
Yikes

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I watched it, it had a couple decent scenes but overall it was really generic.
I really liked the scene of a wood chipper sucking up the bat monsters and shooting out mush, a really ingenious way of killing those things that's not talked about or brought up in the rest of the movie lol.
I
haven't watched this or A Quiet Place, or that other bird box movie or something, which one is the best so I would only have to watch one?

Shogeki

Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I

haven't watched this or A Quiet Place, or that other bird box movie or something, which one is the best so I would only have to watch one?

I've only seen AQP but I really find it hard to believe it's a better movie than Bird Box. AQP is trash and I say that as someone who is very easy to please and rarely bashes movies. Immediately after watching that movie I googled it because I couldn't believe it reviewed so well with critics. It really just cemented the fact that movie critics dunno shit imo.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a OP backfire thread for not going to Google to educate themselves that the source material actually came out first

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Quiet place wasn't that good anyways.

When i read the first time about it... i thougt it was about a Family hiding in the woods in a old cabin and then a unknown strange guy joins them that starts making trouble for the whole family.
In the end they just meet a random old guy in the woods and he just starts screaming out of nowhere before he dies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really feel bad for Tim Lebbon in all of this. He wrote his book (which I haven't read but heard is good) optioned the rights and it was filming before or around AQP but got stuck in release hell. Plus it's a shitty movie.

Do yourself a favor and check out Lebbon, good author, good guy and deserved better than this.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Poor Sabrina. Why does she have to star in crap like this? I thought her career was going well.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've only seen AQP but I really find it hard to believe it's a better movie than Bird Box. AQP is trash and I say that as someone who is very easy to please and rarely bashes movies. Immediately after watching that movie I googled it because I couldn't believe it reviewed so well with critics. It really just cemented the fact that movie critics dunno shit imo.
you should be a movie critic than

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
OP you do realize that A Quiet Place is not the first horror movie to have a monster that hunts by sound, right? Tombs of the Blind Dead came out decades before A Quiet Place and wasn't even the first story with such a premise.

Last edited:

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure it's a rip-off from A Quiet Place since apparently The Silence is based on a book published before A Quiet Place was even a thing, but I do have to concede that when I initially watched The Silence I couldn't think of anything else than "blegh, this is a poor man's Quiet Place". I suppose I'm a bit more nuanced now, but The Silence is still a pretty shit film, inferior to A Quiet Place in literally all aspects.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fine, if fairly forgettable film. The two leads were good, I'm always down for some Tucci and Shipka always has solid charisma.

One thing that I thought was a little silly though

The whole being deaf thing sort of... didn't matter? Like you'd assume from the premise that it would end up playing some major part in their survival or figuring out a way to stop the creatures or something, but in the end it was just "these people know sign language" even though they were mouthing/whispering everything they were signing anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
OP you do realize that A Quiet Place is not the first horror movie to have a monster that hunts by sound, right? Tombs of the Blind Dead came out decades before A Quiet Place and wasn't even the first story with such a premise.

Not to mention that Will Smith/Jayden Smith movie. Or did those guys hunt by smell?

Any with a monster that hunts by touch? If not, I claim copyright on the idea :p

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned Dick Van Dyke's grand kids own the Mockbuster market

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Op forgets to search, makes a low budget ripoff of a prior thread.

How is this a ripoff of A Quiet Place if the story was written before A Quiet Place? Is time travel a thing now?

A movie can be bad, all by itself.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is time travel a thing now?

36134.jpg

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
When i read the first time about it... i thougt it was about a Family hiding in the woods in a old cabin and then a unknown strange guy joins them that starts making trouble for the whole family. In the end they just meet a random old guy in the woods and he just starts screaming out of nowhere before he dies.
That's It Comes at Night. Get rid of the spoilers.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just have the wood chipper running 24/7 ffs. Maybe a few helicopters? Moronic movie that makes zero sense. How is there a crazy cult formed after only days of the outbreak? How did the creatures survive millions of years in a cave? What did they eat?