• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Based on 7.3k reviews so far.

Basically, it's a spin-off prequel(?) of the first Gothic game, which is based on Gothic II as the base game. Thus you'll need to own the game to install this on Steam and GOG. You can also install it manually through moddb without having to own Gothic II, but it's currently on sale so why not?

I just started my playthrough this week (thankfully there's a community made controller config too), and it's absolutely impressive. Gameplay is basically the same as Gothic II with enhanced visuals, but it's an entirely new game with dozens of hours of roleplaying goodness. It's also fully voiced acted (Polish) with English subtitle. The map is vast but carefully crafted with handplaced encounters, events, and locations. It's truly immersive. They poured so much love developing this, and it shows.

store.steampowered.com

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos on Steam

The Kingdom of Myrtana is in a dramatic situation. After the major defeat of the royal fleet in the waters of the Eastern Archipelago, the once thriving city of Archolos stood on the brink of crisis. Meanwhile, a young foreigner goes to the island in search of a new, better life.
www.gog.com

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

To play this game you will also need Gothic 2 Gold Edition The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Ar

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos is a free, total conversion mod for Gothic II: Gold Edition. It features a completely new open world, improved skills systems, gameplay mechanics and complex story. Main goal of this project is to honour one the best classic cRPG and take the die-hard fans of the original Gothic trilogy as well as new players on one more adventure in the Kingdom of Myrtana.

FEATURES

• Professional voice acting
  • Fully adhering to the lore of Gothic series
  • 60+ hours of expected playtime
  • Complex main plot with many twists and secrets to discover
  • Over 170 quests with multiple ways to complete them
  • Multidimensional characters with credible backstories and personal goals
  • Breathtaking soundtrack composed solely for the purpose of the mod
  • About 200 random events that the main character may encounter
  • New crafting system with activities, such as alchemy, cooking and magic scrolls writing
  • Rebalanced economy and items stats considering 20 years of Gothic players feedback
  • Expanded travel system with option to choose between magic teleports, boats and mercenary caravans
  • More than 100 new armors and weapons with unique visuals

city.gif

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for pouting this out! Definitively gonna try it now that I got a steam link off eBay.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That first village vibes with everyone doing their routines, and of course, the inn. Doing favors for them while stealing their stuff at the other time is always a joy.

c7F4KYk.jpg

GNaoox6.jpg

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Oh god.. I didn't know about this!

Wait you can play the game using a controller? How do you do this?
I assume steam controller config. I played G2 and 1 with a controller as well but that was with JoyToKey. These games always worked really well with a controller, even better than M+K in my opinion.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to adjust the font size?

Playing on my TV and it's a bit too small

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Is the original game still worth playing? I've been playing through another older game so I'm unusually drawn to how this game looks right now.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They just released the 1.2 patch earlier.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos :: Patch 1.2

Patch 1.2 is available now! Big thanks to entire community for reporting issues and proposing changes! Special thanks go again to our Community Heroes for helping us with bug fixes organization and for helping players with their problems. Announcement for translators: Finally, Crowdin platform...

Is there any way to adjust the font size?

Playing on my TV and it's a bit too small
Try using the supported DX11 files provided by the devs. It adds many additional graphical options into the game.
steamcommunity.com

[DirectX 11] for TCoM: Archolos :: The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos [EN] English - General Discussions

https://github.com/SaiyansKing/GD3D11/releases How to Install: 1. Download the latest version. 2. Unpack GD3D11.zip file. 3. Drag all the contents to: x:\Steam\steamapps\common\TheChroniclesOfMyrtana\ System ----------------------------------------------------- Additional note: If you're using...

Is the original game still worth playing? I've been playing through another older game so I'm unusually drawn to how this game looks right now.
Surely, but the last time I tried it there are additional steps you need to do to run it on modern PCs. There's a "remaster" mod available out there too, you may want to check it out.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
They just released the 1.2 patch earlier.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos :: Patch 1.2

Patch 1.2 is available now! Big thanks to entire community for reporting issues and proposing changes! Special thanks go again to our Community Heroes for helping us with bug fixes organization and for helping players with their problems. Announcement for translators: Finally, Crowdin platform...

Try using the supported DX11 files provided by the devs. It adds many additional graphical options into the game.
steamcommunity.com

[DirectX 11] for TCoM: Archolos :: The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos [EN] English - General Discussions

https://github.com/SaiyansKing/GD3D11/releases How to Install: 1. Download the latest version. 2. Unpack GD3D11.zip file. 3. Drag all the contents to: x:\Steam\steamapps\common\TheChroniclesOfMyrtana\ System ----------------------------------------------------- Additional note: If you're using...

Surely, but the last time I tried it there are additional steps you need to do to run it on modern PCs. There's a "remaster" mod available out there too, you may want to check it out.

I just installed that DX11 patch following the instructions, and it doesn't work.

How am I supposed to load the game after installing it?

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just installed that DX11 patch following the instructions, and it doesn't work.

How am I supposed to load the game after installing it?
How does it not work? Does the game not open at all?

It was quite straightforward for me, just extract to designated folder. I didn't apply the additional steps of "Data Execution Prevention" thing either.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Gothic II: Gold Edition - which you need to play the mod - is also in the current Lunar Sale. I already bought it during Winter Sale because I am too lazy to search for my Disc.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How does it not work? Does the game not open at all?

It was quite straightforward for me, just extract to designated folder. I didn't apply the additional steps of "Data Execution Prevention" thing either.

I downloaded the "GD3D11-17.8-dev4.zip" file from the link, copied it into my game folder, then ran the game from the steam client. The game loads up normally but has no DX11 features or F11 menu

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I just completed this last night and it is truly amazing. I had never played Gothic 1/2 before so went in totally blind. The amount of love that has gone into this mod is mind blowing and the devs have shown up a lot of games that charge full price. I cannot recommend this enough if you like classic RPG's.

As soon as I finished it I installed Gothic and am now about 4 hours into that with some mods to spruce it up a bit for 2022.

Play this!

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I downloaded the "GD3D11-17.8-dev4.zip" file from the link, copied it into my game folder, then ran the game from the steam client. The game loads up normally but has no DX11 features or F11 menu
I see. Sorry I can't help you further since I'm still on a 1080p display. Maybe try browsing the Steam forums.

I just completed this last night and it is truly amazing. I had never played Gothic 1/2 before so went in totally blind. The amount of love that has gone into this mod is mind blowing and the devs have shown up a lot of games that charge full price. I cannot recommend this enough if you like classic RPG's.

As soon as I finished it I installed Gothic and am now about 4 hours into that with some mods to spruce it up a bit for 2022.

Play this!
Woah, such high praises. Thanks for the impressions.

I'm already in the city now, working my way to gain citizenship. Everything about this game just flows naturally, so immersive. It's like a medieval simulator.

I played Gothic (don't remember which one) but I don't think I finished it back then. I was still a kid and didn't have that much patience for a Eurojank. But I'll play Gothic II after I'm done with this too later.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely recommend downloading the polish speech pack on Steam. I found that the if it is not installed you get long lags on some conversation starts

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just bought Gothic II for this mod. Always loved the vibe of Gothic but when I finally tried it, I noped out because of no mouse support for inventory really fast - I think. Has to be 15-20 years ago. Time to give the series another chance!

How long is this mod? Is it full RPG 30-50 hours? Or a bit on the shorter side?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought Gothic II for this mod. Always loved the vibe of Gothic but when I finally tried it, I noped out because of no mouse support for inventory really fast - I think. Has to be 15-20 years ago. Time to give the series another chance!

It seems really long. Probably 60-80 hours

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I put in 110 hours but you can easily get more than that out of it. At no point did I want it to end or feel like it was dragging.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany