• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Via Gematsu

News that was teased yesterday turned out to be the reveal of the release date for the game. Price is $19.95 for the standard edition (20% discount for preorders on XB1, Switch, other platforms will have that price for launch) and $29.95 for the edition with making of videos and the digital soundtrack.

I got to play this earlier at PAX East and was hooked. You're tasked with infiltrating a cult compound to find out what happened to your nephew, Alex, and you're given a lot of liberty on how you go about doing that. Finding disguises, going loud/lethal, distractions, and talking to members of the cult are just some of the options you have and the game will react accordingly to them.

The game map isn't randomly generated but the personality of the cult leaders, the nature of the cult, your starting position and even where your objectives are will vary from playthrough to playthrough.

Gameplay walkthrough here:

Last edited:

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, sounds right up my alley. Will definitely check this out.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming this is OG Metal Gear-inspired and not the Solid series?
Not sure what the difference is, considering the original Solid, for instance, is largely a streamlined 3D MG2. And MG2 itself was a slightly more expansive and refined MG. And then MGS2 a subversive redo of MGS in so many ways. Etc etc.

It's cool how the Metal Gear series kept such an easily identifiable DNA all the way through.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
PSBlog post about the proc. gen narrative.

The game is also about choices. What happens once you find your nephew Alex? Maybe he's fine, maybe he wants to leave, or something in between. Maybe you can get a character to tell you where the leaders Isaac and Rebecca are, and you might decide to go confront them with what you've seen and learned. In addition to classic infiltration gameplay that allows you to play lethally, non-lethally, or anywhere in between, you also get to make those key narrative choices about what to do with Alex, Isaac, and Rebecca.

48318348821_70862e8adb_h.jpg

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not sure what the difference is, considering the original Solid, for instance, is largely a streamlined 3D MG2. And MG2 itself was a slightly more expansive and refined MG. And then MGS2 a subversive redo of MGS in so many ways. Etc etc.

It's cool how the Metal Gear series kept such an easily identifiable DNA all the way through.

Well I think you just answered your own question. The difference is, based on the little we have here, is that it appears the state of the camera is closer to the top down of the older games as you can see once actually gameplay begins at 0:26. Whether or not the player has much agency over the camera remains to be seen.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Well I think you just answered your own question. The difference is, based on the little we have here, is that it appears the state of the camera is closer to the top down of the older games as you can see once actually gameplay begins at 0:26. Whether or not the player has much agency over the camera remains to be seen.
Then I mean, the camera was top-down until MGS3 Subsistence added a controlable third person cam. Wasn't sth restricted to the original MG and MG2.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love stealth and the setting is certainly interesting, but that gameplay doesn't look particularly engaging to me.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I love stealth and the setting is certainly interesting, but that gameplay doesn't look particularly engaging to me.

The PAX demo had a bit more going on (or maybe it was just the variables I got) where I was throwing rocks to get space to get between visions cones, breaking into a barn to find a disguise and breaking down alarm systems.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PAX demo had a bit more going on (or maybe it was just the variables I got) where I was throwing rocks to get space to get between visions cones, breaking into a barn to find a disguise and breaking down alarm systems.

Fair enough, but imagining those two extra options in relation to that gameplay walkthrough... I dunno, I don't want to shit on it or anything because I haven't played it, but it still comes across as fairly basic to me. I just can't imagine getting more than ten minutes out of it before packing it up, regardless of how interesting the setting is.

To me, stealth games live and die by their systemics (and level design). Outside of the rogue-like meta-gameplay elements (which seem to be the most interesting aspects of the project), what other systems are there to play around with? For example, are there any more states for the guard AI that you can toy with? What tools are at your disposal and how do they shape the landscape?

On reflection (and I'd never have said this if I hadn't thought about it properly), I guess I've been a little bit spoiled this gen for stealth heavy games: MotN remastered, Invisible Inc., MGSV, Shadow Tatics, Hitman 1 & 2, the Dishonored series...

Outside of the setting and rogue elements, this doesn't seem to fill a particular niche for me that would make me play it above any of those I listed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Like, outside of the rogue-like elements (which seem to be the most interesting gameplay aspects), what other systems are there to play around with? For example, are there anymore states for the guard AI that you can toy with?

I don't believe so but I didn't have much direct interaction with them as I played.