• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the USA is way in front of technology in that regard. It is a bit like the Chinese woman trying to install the spyware at Maralago .The USA has way more experience in this game I think and also much more money. If you know their defense budget.
The Chinese government is only much more authoritarian and horrible.
As many issues as I have with the US government, we haven't had a track record of routinely disappearing people criticizing the government. I'd long have been murdered if I lived in China. So nah.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how people are using "whataboutism" left and right as counter argument but not realizing that they are on the side where the Soviets were regarding whataboutism.

Yes the USSR used whataboutism to deflect any discussion about their wrongdoings to point back at the USA.

However this thread about China and Huawei. Whatever the USA and CIA had done derails the conversation and draws false equivalence between the two countries.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Yes the USSR used whataboutism to deflect any discussion about their wrongdoings to point back at the USA.

However this thread about China and Huawei. Whatever the USA and CIA had done derails the conversation and draws false equivalence between the two countries.

Only that people are screaming whataboutism after the fact was stated that the CIA and US other agencies failed to provide any evidences about backdoors in Huawei hardware in all those years.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Only that people are screaming whataboutism after the fact was stated that the CIA and US other agencies failed to provide any evidences about backdoors in Huawei hardware in all those years.

They're not going to provide evidence which would be classified as it would reveal how they know and what they know. It's how the spy game works.

Believe it or not but it's always been this way.

There was also forensic evidence that Russian malware compromised the DNC and people still didn't believe it.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
They're not going to provide evidence which would be classified as it would reveal how they know and what they know. It's how the spy game works.

Believe it or not but it's always been this way.

There was also forensic evidence that Russian malware compromised the DNC and people still didn't believe it.

That's nonsense. One proven evidence of a backdoor in crucial network infrastructure would kill Huawei and China's ambitions in the network and telecommunications industry and would end all discussion about the topic.

That's how reality works. Not your James Bond fantasy.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
It's wild that there's still Huawei apologists in the west after all the alarms being sounded about the company.
I'm pretty leary about all the Huawei shit. Like, it literally started becoming a thing a few months after Trump started a trade war with China. The timing is suspicious. Not the behavior. The behavior is basically what I expect every government in every country with enough money to do it is doing. But the sudden PR swing against it feels like its probably generated to try and drum up anti-Chinese sentiment in the west.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
hmm.....buying a device with CIA/NSA backdoor or PRC Backdoor??

Decisions, decisions.................

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's nonsense. One proven evidence of a backdoor in crucial network infrastructure would kill Huawei and would end all discussion about the topic.

That's how reality works. Not your James Bond fantasy.

I don't disagree with that.

My point is they wouldn't want to reveal what they know and how they know it to keep China guessing.

If they publicly disclose it, it could be used by other third parties, whereas the US government can probably use it themselves.

Such vulnerabilities are always kept secret as long as possible.

Your fantasy is thinking the CIA will publish detailed evidence in order to make sure the Glenn Greenwalds of the world are convinced.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I don't disagree with that.

My point is they wouldn't want to reveal what they know and how they know it to keep China guessing.

If they publicly disclose it, it could be used by other third parties, whereas the US government can probably use it themselves.

Such vulnerabilities are always kept secret as long as possible.

Your fantasy is thinking the CIA will publish detailed evidence in order to make sure the Glenn Greenwalds of the world are convinced.

The USA only needs to convince the various national secret and security agencies.
Not random forum posters.

Showing proof would mean no Huawei hardware within the EU and other parts in the world.

So if they actually know anything, they are doing a pretty bad job at handling it.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The most pragmatic way of looking at this (assuming you are a westerner) is deciding whether you want to be spied on by a democratic hegemony that is likely allied with your country, or a borderline-fascist up and coming totalitarian dictatorship with increasing global influence. Unless you go full Richard Stallman there's really no way to opt out of it, so pick your poison.

Even if you go full anti-American and consider them worse than the PRC due to their external meddling, the decision comes down to supporting a country that treats others like shit versus a country that treats their own people like shit. Maybe it's selfish, but I'd sure as hell rather live in a relatively free interventionist country than an IRL 1984 society that sticks to economic intimidation over physical warfare.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
The most pragmatic way of looking at this (assuming you are a westerner) is deciding whether you want to be spied on by a democratic hegemony that is likely allied with your country, or a borderline-fascist up and coming totalitarian dictatorship with increasing global influence. Unless you go full Richard Stallman there's really no way to opt out of it, so pick your poison.

Even if you go full anti-American and consider them worse than the PRC due to their external meddling, the decision comes down to supporting a country that treats others like shit versus a country that treats their own people like shit. Maybe it's selfish, but I'd sure as hell rather live in a relatively free interventionist country than an IRL 1984 society that sticks to economic intimidation over physical warfare.

America treats black people like shit too.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

"Spied" would mean we are eatijg up the CIA narrative. Any 5G infrastructure will be used to spy potential sabotage. Even ignoring that countries are running IT security systems which would actually easily find out if data get send somewhere unknown.

You would have more success to get data from the various services of interest.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring that countries are running IT security systems which would actually easily find out if data get send somewhere unknown.

Countless companies get breached and they find out months later someone uploaded terabytes of their stuff to China or Russia and no one noticed. And US Government isn't exactly good at this stuff given how OPM was breached among others. Countless ways to obscure this stuff.

And this isn't some "James Bond fantasy", I've worked with people whose job was to find out what businesses China will be targeting in advance and to notify or protect potential targets.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
These threads about china always get so weird. Users who post nowhere else on this forum pop up out of the woodwork and get extremely defensive in their bid to exonerate china of any wrongdoing. I don't believe the schtick for a second, sorry.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Let's summarize some facts:

• The CIA is well known for making us manufacturers plant backdoors in their products. Hard prove exists for that.
  • The CIA is well known for providing completely made-up evidence to perpetuate their agendas. Hard prove exists for that.
  • Huawei has been accused a million times of planting backdoors n their products as ordered by Chinese regime. We are still waiting for the first hard prove of that actually happening.
So when the US agency calls out Huawei for doing what they are proven to be doing, but doesn't provide any evidence, that's not whataboutism. But when people point out these facts, that's whataboutism. Simple logic, 2019 post-factual flavor.

Also: please grow out of childish binary "good vs. evil" thinking! Just saying the CIA is telling bullshit does not imply in the slightest that China is the good guy here or in any other aspect.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the US did the same to say Cisco or the like. I mean the US is the last country to point fingers regarding espionage etc.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
please leave black people out of this. No one wants a part in this stupid whataboutism debate.

Yup leave us black out of there mouth. It aint the best but at least I can move about my own country how I please for the most part and am not beong subjected to a brainwashing reeducation camp.

China is trying to cleanse itself of everything not Han chinese so much that i doubt it would evee look into thebface of all the minorities they have killed and destroyed the culture of in the march to racial purity and harmony in thier nation

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So when the US agency calls out Huawei for doing what they are proven to be doing, but doesn't provide any evidence, that's not whataboutism. But when people point out these facts, that's whataboutism. Simple logic, 2019 post-factual flavor

https://www.theepochtimes.com/micro...at-could-give-hackers-access_2863926.html/amp

Microsoft found a backdoor in Huawei laptops:

Researchers at U.S. tech giant Microsoft recently revealed that they discovered a backdoor in certain Huawei laptop models that allowed unprivileged users to gain access to all laptop data.

This vulnerability is similar to the technique DoublePulsar, a malware tool leaked by the hacker group The Shadow Brokers in early 2017. It had infected more than 200,000 computers running on Microsoft Windows software within a few weeks.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

For someone who works in the IT security industry, you are sure misleading .

It's a safety vulnerability , which if you even read just your quoted part happened in the past. It's also long fixed - what Microsoft and Huewei did regarding to this backdoor is business as usual.
Imagine Intel is a Chinese company, I bet you would cry wolf now regarding Spoiler or Spectre.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/spoi...l-intel-cpus-amds-cpus-safe-from-this-thread/

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who works in the IT security industry, you are sure misleading .

How am I being misleading? All I did is post that backdoors have been found in Huawei products. So it's hardly unprecedented to see the US accuse Huawei.

You're acting like the US accused the Vatican of planting spyware.

It's a safety vulnerability , which if you even read just your quoted part happened in the past

Of course it's a vulnerability.
, you think it's going to be called CCPBackdoor.exe running as a service?

Right in that same article it's noted that it's same technique used by leaked NSA malware called DoublePulsar. Intentionally inserting vulnerabilities is the way to go, if someone finds you can just say "oops we will fix it sorry".

Now if it's a remote access tool that accepts a login name "ccpspy" it's a little harder to claim "we don't know how that got there", when it's inevitably found.

And of course it's been fixed. Microsoft found it, reported it to Huawei who had no choice but to fix it given the scrutiny on them. Microsoft reported it long after it was fixed.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
How am I being misleading? All I did is post that backdoors have been found in Huawei products. So it's hardly unprecedented to see the US accuse Huawei.

You're acting like the US accused the Vatican of planting spyware.

Of course it's a vulnerability.
, you think it's going to be called CCPBackdoor.exe running as a service?

Right in that same article it's noted that it's same technique used by leaked NSA malware called DoublePulsar. Intentionally inserting vulnerabilities is the way to go, if someone finds you can just say "oops we will fix it sorry".

Now if it's a remote access tool that accepts a login name "ccpspy" it's a little harder to claim "we don't know how that got there", when it's inevitably found.

And of course it's been fixed. Microsoft found it, reported it to Huawei who had no choice but to fix it given the scrutiny on them. Microsoft reported it long after it was fixed.
Does all of this apply even when people find vulnerability issues on Windows? Are you saying that even those are "pre planted"?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Does all of this apply even when people find vulnerability issues on Windows? Are you saying that even those are "pre planted"?

Of course not.

All I said was that the Huawei flaw used the same techniques as the NSA malware did.

Spy agencies are far more likely to study platforms like Windows, Android or IOS, find vulnerabilities and keep it to themselves. Or buy them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Or you could just link to Microsoft's blog plost.

Which doesn't support your view at all.

Moving the goalposts again now?

https://www.microsoft.com/security/...stigation-unearths-privilege-escalation-flaw/

We discovered such a driver while investigating an alert raised by Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection's kernel sensors.

Hmm Windows Defender picked up this harmless "safety vulnerability".

Starting in Windows 10, version 1809, the kernel has been instrumented with new sensors designed to trace User APC code injection initiated by a kernel code, providing better visibility into kernel threats like DOUBLEPULSAR. As described in our in-depth analysis, DOUBLEPULSAR is a kernel backdoor used by the WannaCry ransomware to inject the main payload into user-space. DOUBLEPULSAR copied the user payload from the kernel into an executable memory region in lsass.exe and inserted a User APC to a victim thread with NormalRoutine targeting this region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoublePulsar

DoublePulsar is a backdoor implant tool developed by the U.S. National Security Agency's (NSA) Equation Group that was leaked by The Shadow Brokers in early 2017

So according to you CIA/NSA bad(don't disagree here).

But Huawei using similar exploits is a harmless "safety vulnerability".

Deleted member 26398

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Since when has hypocrisy been an issue in geopolitics. A backdoor gives the host country an advantage. Obviously the spooks in the US want them for their use, and the spooks in China want them for their use. Some users were advocating for cutting China and and Russia completely off of the internet. It's clearly a us vs. them fight and people are taking side according to where they are from and not which is moral.

It's like calling war violent. That's its nature.
I think what posters here are claiming is that US and China are fighting for hagemony there is no right or wrong it is just a fight so it's ironic that Western posters here are claiming moral high ground. It is simply us vs. them and you should be honest about it.

P.S. and some users are crying whataboutism. You have literally two choices, I don't think mentioning bad things about one of them is invalid.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. It's naive to think that no country has access to your data. I'm sorry, but that is the world we live in now. As much as I dislike the US government, China having easier access to your data is probably worse than the US having it

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what posters here are claiming is that US and China are fighting for hagemony there is no right or wrong it is just a fight so it's ironic that Western posters here are claiming moral high ground. It is simply us vs. them and you should be honest about it.
It is not just "the West". Go ask someone from Taiwan or Hong Kong if they prefer the US or the CCP. The Chinese government is disliked even more in East Asia than the west.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
P.S. and some users are crying whataboutism. You have literally two choices, I don't think mentioning bad things about one of them is invalid.

I'm not defending the USA, I just find it amusing that posters crawl out of the woodwork acting like China spying and having backdoors is unprecedented and we need some hard core evidence before we can make a conclusion.

But in the meantime here is some bad shit the US has done so let's talk about that instead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending the USA, I just find it amusing that posters crawl out of the woodwork acting like China spying and having backdoors is unprecedented and we need some hard core evidence before we can make a conclusion.

But in the meantime here is some bad shit the US has done so let's talk about that instead.

This happens in literally every china-related topic in this forum. It's extremely predictable at this point.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

That "posters crawl out of the woodwork" is a pretty pathetic method to paint the posters who give their opinion in a bad way. It is so visible and a pretty weak response.
It is pretty clear that the USA and China are in a war to frame the narrative and control the market.
I don't think that the CIA is innocent in that part of warfare.
Yes you can talk which government would be preferable to control the market. And in that department, I would choose the USA (although their behavior is rapidly declining) , China is oppressive and authoritarian. But that is not in the scope of this story.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
My point isn't even to say it doesn't happen at all or that the US needs to be talked about first in every spying discussion.

I'm just saying this is local business supporting propaganda and you shouldn't get turned into a tool for US' economic war on China.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Let's summarize some facts:

• The CIA is well known for making us manufacturers plant backdoors in their products. Hard prove exists for that.
  • The CIA is well known for providing completely made-up evidence to perpetuate their agendas. Hard prove exists for that.
  • Huawei has been accused a million times of planting backdoors n their products as ordered by Chinese regime. We are still waiting for the first hard prove of that actually happening.
So when the US agency calls out Huawei for doing what they are proven to be doing, but doesn't provide any evidence, that's not whataboutism. But when people point out these facts, that's whataboutism. Simple logic, 2019 post-factual flavor.

Also: please grow out of childish binary "good vs. evil" thinking! Just saying the CIA is telling bullshit does not imply in the slightest that China is the good guy here or in any other aspect.

This so much. This is more an economic-geopolitic stance rather than actual caring about privacy and safety

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty leary about all the Huawei shit. Like, it literally started becoming a thing a few months after Trump started a trade war with China. The timing is suspicious. Not the behavior. The behavior is basically what I expect every government in every country with enough money to do it is doing. But the sudden PR swing against it feels like its probably generated to try and drum up anti-Chinese sentiment in the west.

well... actually, the Huawei thing started in 2012 under Obama. Most people don't seem to remember, but the Obama administration too was fighting its own little economic war against the Chinese, and 2012 marked the peak of the currency debate. So... kinda back to square one.

At this point, if you care about privacy, but Apple.

they're still subject to the Patriot Act and various other US "national security" laws. If you care about privacy, you should go with European companies as those are subject to GDPR and are accountable to 20+ different consumer protection agencies. Too bad there aren't many alternatives left, because capitalism doesn't reward those who respect their users.

[...]
Xi thanks you for going out on the shakiest limb so someone else doesnt have to.

going out on the shakiest limb to do what exactly? Point out that the US and its agencies have been pretty consistent in dealing with economic rivals?
Though I'd rather have Xi buy my book, I can't live off of gratefulness.