• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lists are based off of searches on ApartmentList.com, and that website varies in utility for different areas.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
People always talk about moving to/visiting Baltimore when they find out that's where I'm from.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
In Baltimore incredibly nice townhouses in very nice neighborhoods sell for like $300k, there are private schools for the kids if the local public isn't any good, and there are high paying jobs in healthcare and education. There are bad neighborhoods (as in every other major American city,) but they are easily avoided. It's a good city to live in.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We gotta get more people to leave Los Angeles and less people coming in.

We gotta make L.A. undesirable.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Left Atlanta for Denver 4 years ago, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made even if it's gotten more expensive out here. The weather and quality of life makes up for it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Every time I'm in Denver I'm surprised at how many healthy, young, homeless folks I see there. I get the feeling many people just move there first and take care of the details once they arrive. Seeing it at #1 on the list is not surprising.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle has a human feces problem too? I thought that was just San Fran (only "been to" Seattle via connecting flights).

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Baltimore is kind of a surprise.

Denver isn't, even if I personally dislike the city. And it doesn't pop up at all on the second list, wow.
Not that surprising. I'm a polisci major, which means at some point in my life I'll probably work in DC. Relatedly, I'll probably never afford DMV, so Baltimore is probably the best choice, esp with Acela.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
My thought on the Baltimore thing:

It's cheaper D.C.

People want to be in D.C./NoVa but they're getting massively priced out, so Baltimore becomes the back-up plan.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Who the fuck wants to move to Baltimore? I can understand everything on this list except that. I might have to go to Baltimore for work for a few months and I'm sure as shit not excited about it.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Prior to the mid-2000s it was fairly reasonable by California coastal standards:

housing_update_jun_17-1.png

mar-18-housing-data.png-1.png
I have a friend who right out of college got help from her parents to buy a house with whatever she saved up in North Park..for around $300,000 around 2008/2009. Back then North Park was not super hip and happening.. today it's one of the go to spots for people to go out and drink and hang out and live and her house is well over a million. I have a great job and make 6 figures...but even i can't afford to buy a home that is over 800 square foot in a neighborhood that doesn't suck.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
For Orlando I don't think it has anything to do with traffic or jobs.

From what I've seen apartment prices have skyrocketed all through Orlando to where it makes more sense financially to pay slightly more or the same for a house (if you plan to stay in the area). The housing market has not reached LA or NY levels of unattainable for the average person or family.

I grew up not too far from Orlando and am still in my 20s and honestly feel like the odd one out since seems like everyone I know in that area is buying a house.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the influx of money is playing its part in ATL. Gentrification has made the place so much different from a decade ago.

There are some parts that are completely unrecognizable.
One of my clients is on Memorial not far from Moreland Ave near downtown. The transformation into completely unaffordable condos and high-end shopping over the past two years has been stunning

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
There are some parts that are completely unrecognizable.
One of my clients is on Memorial not far from Moreland Ave near downtown. The transformation into completely unaffordable condos and high-end shopping over the past two years has been stunning
Yea I do not recognize anything downtown anymore. It reminds me of the uppity parts of Sacramento.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm, live in Orlando and have been wanting to leave for the last 3 years. The only positive aspect of living here is that it's cheap.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I want to get back to Minneapolis. My fiancée and I had to move from there last summer and I miss it immensely.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Denver is #1. We don't have the god damn infrastructure to support everyone as it is.

Oct 25, 2017
In Baltimore incredibly nice townhouses in very nice neighborhoods sell for like $300k, there are private schools for the kids if the local public isn't any good, and there are high paying jobs in healthcare and education. There are bad neighborhoods (as in every other major American city,) but they are easily avoided. It's a good city to live in.

Not to mention you're not in some remote place. It's 1 hour from DC, 2–3 to Philly, 3–4 to New York.

It's not hard to find great small cities lots of places, but it's a lot harder to find ones that are not expensive but also not four or five hours removed from anything else.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck wants to move to Baltimore? I can understand everything on this list except that. I might have to go to Baltimore for work for a few months and I'm sure as shit not excited about it.

Pretty much every major US city is growing, right? I don't know much about Baltimore's economy but for people who live in the suburbs Baltimore is probably an improvement for them economically. The #1 reason people move is because of their jobs.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Surprised at the lack of Austin. It's not like the real estate is popping there where buying is much more lucrative than renting.

I moved to Seattle because I got sick of hot and humid weather. I could have been in any of the major northern cities, Seattle's job just happened to accept me first.

May 10, 2019
Charlotte, NC is the 8th place people want to go but is also the 6th place people want to leave, interesting. I've only visited it being in Raleigh but I can see both reasons.

Poor Riverside. It's not too bad of place to be - but I imagine many people have to make an hour commute minimum to get to their jobs.
It has a bedroom community vibe, too.

And, of course, it has two fairly sizable universities, so that might affect this, as well.

People wouldn't be so eager to leave Riverside if there was still a Portillos there.

I'd fucking kill for Portillos right now.

Isn't there a Portillos down the road in MoVal?