• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/11/oakland-files-lawsuit-against-raiders-nfl/
City Attorney Barbara Parker on Tuesday filed a federal antitrust lawsuit against the team and the league, a suit city leaders hope could net millions in damages and pay off the approximately $80 million in debt remaining from renovations at the Coliseum.

The city isn't trying to keep the Raiders in Oakland, but the legal action could send the on-again, off-again team packing early for Las Vegas.
Parker said the NFL violated antitrust laws by approving the move to Vegas, and the team's departure goes against the league's relocation policy.
"The defendants brazenly violated federal antitrust law and the league's own policies when they boycotted Oakland as a host city," Parker said in a statement. "The Raiders' illegal move lines the pockets of NFL owners and sticks Oakland, its residents, taxpayers and dedicated fans with the bill. The purpose of this lawsuit is to hold the defendants accountable and help to compensate Oakland for the damages the defendants' unlawful actions have caused and will cause to the people of Oakland."

Oakland City Council earlier had voted to authorize Parker to file the suit, along with outside law firms. Two fan groups, We Stand with Oakland and Forever Oakland, led by Raymond Bobbitt and Gregory "Griz" Jones, first called for legal action.
Didn't see a thread yet.

Sue me if old.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
DTIKMJnV4AEkFWT.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've long disliked the way these franchises generally force/coerce city governments to fun their new stadiums or major renovations with taxpayer dollars, all while raising their prices at the gate.

Best of luck to the city of Oakland.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
It's just a mess. I prefer the Raider's being in Oakland, even as a random fan from the east coast that got into them as a kid due to Bo Jackson. But the stadium has been a joke for years with playing with damn baseball infield dirt the first several homes games and just being an old ass stadium in general. At the same time, I hate how much pro teams fleece tax payers for stadium deals these days. So I don't have a strong stance either way. Though it seems like a frivolous suit as the Raiders have kept to their contracts on using the stadium and are free to leave as they've been year to year the past few years on the lease.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Oakland should be focusing on how not to lose the last professional team in the city. Warriors and Raiders are gone.

t's just a mess. I prefer the Raider's being in Oakland, even as a random fan from the east coast that got into them as a kid due to Bo Jackson. But the stadium has been a joke for years with playing with damn baseball infield dirt the first several homes games and just being an old ass stadium in general. At the same time, I hate how much pro teams fleece tax payers for stadium deals these days. So I don't have a strong stance either way. Though it seems like a frivolous suit as the Raiders have kept to their contracts on using the stadium and are free to leave as they've been year to year the past few years on the lease.

And yeah I would love to see the Raiders stay in Oakland, but both parties have allowed the Raiders to play in that stadium far too long. The field has long been garbage and unsuitable for NFL games. Just look at how the Steelers lost their game on Sunday, due to shit turf.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Oakland lose the warriors and raiders because they couldn't work with those teams for new stadiums, plus the horrible conditions that the raiders/A's had to live with, seems they had no choice since Oakland didn't do much to keep them

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Being a bay area sports fan, it's hard seeing the raiders go to vegas. I still love seeing the football games play on a little dirt, but again, that's as a fan that like to see something different than every other team.

Gosh, it doesn't look pretty, but I hope the raiders move back to Oakland in 15 years of Vegas is a bust. It would be really cool if Oakland could make a multiyear sports complex for baseball and football, but one that would actually be great and no real compromise other than schedule maybe.

Really sucks losing the Raiders, especially after their return from L.A. after leaving Oakland once already.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Are there no college football stadiums in Vegas or anything they could just play in? Just get out of Oakland already

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
I dont get Oakland's reasoning here. Why didn't the city just tell them to eff off? I mean, the city is getting less than $10million. You'd think they could hold the Raiders over a barrel for a lot more than that?