• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 19, 2017

Release tonight is confirmed.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/cloverf...trailer-netflix-streaming-release-1202276386/

We already told you that Paramount/Bad Robot's Cloverfield sequel was getting acquired by Netflix, and that a Super Bowl spot is expected to air during the Big Game, however, we're now hearing that the J.J. Abrams produced movie will be available to stream immediately following the end of the Big Game. A TV spot for the film is scheduled to drop around the end of the first quarter and inform fans about the pic's availability tonight.

This is a groundbreaking, unprecedented move by a studio in its use of P&A: Netflix is literally promoting a movie before TV's biggest audience of the year (last year's Super Bowl drew an average of 111.3M) and then promptly releasing it after the game. Today will be the first time we've seen any footage or images from the movie.

No other streaming service has ever pulled off this type of stunt, nor released a movie with such immediacy. Millennial audiences love surprises and this type of marketing maneuver is right up their alley. For many months the film went by the title God Particle.

In regards to the incentive for Paramount to sell this film...

This unique distribution plan for the next Cloverfield completely jibes with the brand's spirit for surprise. Cloverfield pics are traditionally shrouded in secrecy with non-traditional marketing campaigns. This Cloverfield sequel cost around an estimated $45M, and we hear that the Netflix deal makes the film immediately profitable.

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is actually crazy and something that would make film Twitter go crazy.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much whipping it out and laying it on the table, Netflix.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
What about other countries? Good marketing for US viewers, but no one outside the US gives a shit about the game.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
So for someone who doesn't know shit about the Super Bowl, but is interested in the movie, when is the release day exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy! I already saw it at a preview screening about 4 months back, finally I won't have to keep my mouth shut about it. I'm interested to see if a certain part made it to the final cut.

I'll have to check that out tonight, more comments after release.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
No way! This is amazing. Kind of wish I would have been kept in the dark about it. There has to be a trailer during the game right?

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in this decade streaming new releases at home will be standard.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
leon.png