• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

The Coalition present #AlphaPoint - an insight into the team's first tech demo created entirely in Unreal Engine 5. With Gears 5 pushing graphics to all new heights with Unreal Engine 4 back in 2019, the team is looking to the future and demonstrated an early look at what's possible with Unreal Engine 5 on Xbox Series X|S. This demo was showcased at #GDC21.

The Coalition share a real-time character rendering test on Xbox Series X and their first bits of discovery on what's possible with next-gen character creation using Unreal Engine 5. This demo was showcased at #GDC21.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I wonder if these assets will be used in that unnamed project TC was talking about to get their heads around UE5?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

This is the GDC talk going behind the scenes of that technical demo, what can be done on Xbox Series X with early Unreal Engine 5 build and what to do or not to do with that engine, how are the tools working with such high quality assets and how to solve the different issues that they had tackled.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Schermafbeelding_2021-07-26_211959.png

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The environment looks a lot like the epic released UE5 demo (makes sense)

the character looks like a game character. Still looks great. But it's nothing super duper mind blowing.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if I'm not wrong, they are also working on a new IP yeah? very curious as to what they are working on.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
The environment looks a lot like the epic released UE5 demo (makes sense)

the character looks like a game character. Still looks great. But it's nothing super duper mind blowing.
My feelings as well. Maybe once they start showing more organic stuff in these demos I'll be more excited for it. It's still basically robots and rocks

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coalition are a graphical power house. Their next game will melt eyes no doubt.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The character models don't look particularly impressive compared to games that are already out there, but damn the lighting in that demo is nuts

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I hope rocks and desert aren't going to become "the UE5 look" in the same way a couple effects and artistic decisions defined early UE3 games aesthetics :D
It's clear the coalition didn't have a lot of time to put this together; its basically a single scene from different angles.

I was expecting a bit more tbh; this doesn't touch last year's UE5 demo and it's not that exciting in itself.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. I do want to see what a smaller developer can do in Unreal 5.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't as impressed with the Alpha Point sequence until I watched it on 4K/1440p displays. The YouTube version scaled down on a 1080p monitor barely does that detail any justice.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I hope rocks and desert aren't going to become "the UE5 look" in the same way a couple effects and artistic decisions defined early UE3 games aesthetics :D
It's clear the coalition didn't have a lot of time to put this together; its basically a single scene from different angles.

I was expecting a bit more tbh; this doesn't touch last year's UE5 demo and it's not that exciting in itself.

You expected this small demo to be more impressive than the Demo from Epic that was made with much more resources than this side project ?

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My LG oled is making this look amazing, goddamn their next games are going to be crazy.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
As a dive into this first foray into UE5 and working with Epic to improve it for the Series X and S, this is pretty exciting. They have the demo running at 46 fps and have a path with GPU optimization work from Epic to be able to get it to 60 fps which is a great sign for what they're targeting with their next game.

The leaps in overall image quality are just insane and I can't wait to see all this work they're putting in to optimize UE5 for XSX|S come to fruition across all of XGS that use UE as their engine.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are the major assets available at the moment that dry rock or just an artistic choice?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I hope rocks and desert aren't going to become "the UE5 look" in the same way a couple effects and artistic decisions defined early UE3 games aesthetics

It already looks like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik nanite doesn't work well with foliage / trees. And megascans also don't include foliage?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Don't think anyone is realistically going to be rendering hair like that in game, but the demo is impressive.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik nanite doesn't work well with foliage / trees. And megascans also don't include foliage?

It'll be fine. The coalition concluded the engine will unlock their artistic visions and create amazingly detailed worlds. I doubt all they see is rocks in their future if their gears titles have anything to say.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
You expected this small demo to be more impressive than the Demo from Epic that was made with much more resources than this side project ?

Not more impressive than that, no but I've been watching UE5 demos users put together in the days and weeks following early access release and I thougth the Coalition would have something... meatier. Something a little bit more articulated. I was especially hoping for "not rocks" tbh.

Can people please stop?

What's the problem with me not finding the demo especially interesting or impressive?
The making of alpha point is definitely the most interesting part of this, though it's making me somewhat sceptical about last year's demo.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Nanite doesn't support translucency or dual sided textures so things like grass and trees will still be handled in a traditional pipeline. That said, they mention in the presentation the vines they're able to put into Nanite because they're not moving and there is no translucency to them.

This doesn't mean that all games are going to be rocks and sand though. That's just what's the fastest and "easiest" way to test it with the assets that are available or were replaced by TC. The Megascans that are available are limited right now so that's why everything looks the same but that library will grow and devs will build out new tools that help them get the millions of triangles they need to properly run Nanite over time.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That environment was giving me some Jedi Fallen Order Dathomir vibes. Hopefully they're on Unreal 5 for the sequel!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It's a bit of a bummer that it is showing a scene very similar to the epic demo. I would've liked to see something with foliage too.