• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The Coalition's Ryan Cleven was asked whether Gears 4 would include microtransactions,

The multiplayer design director reiterated that Gears 5 will have no loot boxes, but does have a store in which players can spend real money on in-game currency Iron, which can be used to purchase cosmetics.

Cleven feels that the system is "a very player-centric, player-friendly way of doing customisation and monetisation."

"We really think we're ahead of the industry here in getting rid of loot boxes and making sure that we can both service people that are looking to accelerate their progression or earn cosmetics using money but also keeping the integrity of the game experience," he said.

He was also asked whether this workaround or "new monetisation system" (as Games Industry calls it) was influenced by the backlash surrounding lootboxes.

"We had made that decision before all that happened," Cleven said. "We were sort of reading the tea leaves, I guess, and we were one of the earliest to adopt card packs inside our game. We thought we'd done it quite elegantly in Gears 4 -- some people liked it, some people didn't.

He continued,

This approach was validated as governments and politicians looked deeper into the impact of loot boxes, so the Gears 5 team doubled down on the new system.

"We just felt that [loot boxes] weren't a good fit for Gears and we wanted to be ahead of the curve looking for possible solutions, even before all the controversy."

Is Gears setting the industry standard on monetization as companies look to capitalize on microtransations without the lootbox stigma?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean I don't think an ingame store is innovating. Nor are they the first to do something like it.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is literally just the same microtransactions we've had for, what, a decade or more now?!?!

Backwards is forwards, I guess? (it is, fuck a loot box)

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
If AAA games want micro transactions like cosmetics that I can just buy without gambling is okay. I'd rather have none of them, but that's not gonna happen.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was this not the norm as recent as 2011-13?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A return from super exploitative to less exploitative.

Instead of a slot machine in your game, there's a store in your game!

Ahead of it's time? What a garbage shill take.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Just sell people what they want and only sell stuff where people know what they are getting. Easy as hell

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If AAA games want micro transactions like cosmetics that I can just buy without gambling is okay. I'd rather have none of them, but that's not gonna happen.
This is where I'm at. I hate that there's SO MUCH of it and everything in some of these releases but at least it's buying a specific item for a specific price versus throwing money into a void hoping a magical chest pops up with the shit you want. Of course it means they won't make as much money because of the way lootboxes are designed, but it should still allow fans to pay it forward to the devs if the rest of the game is solid/holds up like people (including me) do for games like Warframe.

But like...I don't see how this is "ahead" of the industry. If anything it's backwards to where it was and never should have gone on from. But then people griped about DLC prices so we'll see if the cycle begins anew.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah it's the ol "ingame cosmetics cost 600 iron and you can buy iron in 500, 1000, 1500 but dont forget the bonus iron when buying those best value amounts" trick. How revolutionary.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
There is nothing innovative or "ahead" about what Gears 5 is doing with their store. Give me break.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I dont trust them that much, Gears 4 was awful with the monetization. They were releasing new loot boxes, that were insanely priced, all the time. They might start well with Gears 5 and implement worse monetization later on, ala call of duty.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is literally just the same microtransactions we've had for, what, a decade or more now?!?!

Backwards is forwards, I guess? (it is, fuck a loot box)
That's the thing with this industry, they just continue down the worst part possible until it's no longer feasible. Then going back to the old bad thing looks like an amazing achievement.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There's literally nothing new or ahead about that set up. It's the same set up as fucking Fortnite BR (which existed before Fortnite), just not rotationing daily maybe? Sounds exactly like Destiny 2's actually.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Ah it's the ol "ingame cosmetics cost 600 iron and you can buy iron in 500, 1000, 1500 but dont forget the bonus iron when buying those best value amounts" trick. How revolutionary.

This. It's better than lootboxes, but these fake currencies are only there to leave some money on your account hoping you'll decide to buy something else.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Am I supposed to celebrate a system that makes more money off non f2p games because it is a better system than another system that makes more money off non f2p games?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how this is any different than what we had before.

my_job_here_is_done_but_you_didnt_do_anything_meme-451x1024.jpg

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
They are so "far ahead of the industry" that the game is priced 69€ in EU while its 59$ in US

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing with this industry, they just continue down the worst part possible until it's no longer feasible. Then going back to the old bad thing looks like an amazing achievement.

This.

"We just felt that [loot boxes] weren't a good fit for Gears and we wanted to be ahead of the curve looking for possible solutions, even before all the controversy."

Surejan.gif

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Ahead of the fucking industry, my god.

I can't believe people are now advertising their monetisation schemes as innovative features.

I'm fully expecting a bunch of people to be heaping praise on them for it, too.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They would be ahead not having mtx at all.

This looks the same as Ubisoft games.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, if an in-game real money store with fun bucks is a revolution what the fuck was The Witcher 3?

Oct 28, 2017
Forward thinking by going back to horse armor, okay. It's better than those exploitation boxes for sure, but to act like this is a form of innovation is reaaaaaally stretching it.

Oct 28, 2017
Forward thinking by going back to horse armor, okay. It's better than those exploitation boxes for sure, but to act like this is a form of innovation is reaaaaaally stretching it.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything is better than the disgraceful monetized boxes with repeat items that they had in gears 4.

Absolutely disgusting what they did

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
sales tax ;) not included in the US price. while some states do not have it online though.

but yeah, they chose the lesser from two evils.
Literally the only game i have ever seen on PC with such an high price. Every other AAA is 59€, like cyberpunk, doom eternal, bloodlines 2.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Any type of transaction in games should be outlawed. Simple. It's garbage and gamers need to stop paying for them.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
The thread title should be amended to reflect that this nonsense is what The Coalition is saying about themselves in an interview with Games Industry and not something that Games Industry itself is saying about Gears 5.

As it is written, the thread title is somewhat misleading.

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it ironic how one of the most hated and dog piled games of this gen is Evolve, a game that sold all of it's cosmetics upfront but was attacked with reckless abandon anyway. Then Overwatch comes out shortly after with lootboxes, popularized the mechanic, beloved by all. Really makes me question the intelligence of the average person. "Evolve has preorder DLCCCCC!!!!!" Give me a break. Enjoy your loot boxes clowns.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
They even had both loot boxes and direct pay cosmetic items in Gears4. Guess what happened there, all the best looking stuff was cash only and couldn't be earned by grinding out credits.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"Ahead of industry"?

If they use artificial time limited items it's not a single bit better and still a predatory microtransaction technique.

And the prices will probably as bad as anywhere else, which means 10-20 bucks for a single costume = thanks no, I move on.