• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So then way it was before lootboxes. Hardly new and hardly newsworthy.

Still, it's nice to see more games not feature gambling.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
"Horse Armor" purchased with in game currency that is purchased with real money now considered the "best" way to do "required monetization" on a full priced "game".

Someone should go back to 2006 and post this on a gaming forum to see the reactions.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the fuck is this article?

Ok sure, no loot boxes, you still buy fake money, with real money, can only be spent at this specific store, in weird denominations that make you need to purchase more of their fake money. Why the fuck not just sell it for actual money and be done with it?

It's fucking itchy and scratchy money.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well i'm glad they are patting themselves on the back for this. What are they thinking.

Innovative and industry-leading would be no microtransactions at all. This is just the same kind of predatory MTX we've seen for years.

Thread title needs a heavy edit for sure.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The normalization of monetized premium games continues to disgust me.

Perhaps we need cheaper made games for slightly cheaper retail prices if they're so damn insecure about returning what they slated on their investments.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Their tone is really weird and out of touch. It's as if they're proud of their gross microtransactions since they're just a bit less predatory than some of those other ones out there and customers should feel grateful for that..
What kind of creator takes pride in an exploitative system?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"in-game currency Iron, which can be used to purchase cosmetics."
"There are also two separate systems for gaining content: an unlockable customisation system called Tour of Duty, and then Supply where players get free content just for playing the game. The two content pools are separate."

It seems a little bit too complicated to called it "player-friendly". In which content pool Iron are useable ? Does I gain Iron by playing the game ?

And the whole rhetoric of "we are doing bad things but others do the same thing but worse so we are the good guys and we should be praised for that", just no.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their tone is really weird and out of touch. It's as if they're proud of their gross microtransactions since they're just a bit less predatory than some of those other ones out there and customers should feel grateful for that..
What kind of creator takes pride in an exploitative system?
Its not exploitative, its an option. If the grind itself is purposefully padded out to coerce you to purchase then thats an exploit, but thats not something we can glean from this article.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Apex Legends recently get trashed for doing basically the same thing? And that's a free game whereas this is full price

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I still find it ironic how one of the most hated and dog piled games of this gen is Evolve, a game that sold all of it's cosmetics upfront but was attacked with reckless abandon anyway. Then Overwatch comes out shortly after with lootboxes, popularized the mechanic, beloved by all. Really makes me question the intelligence of the average person. "Evolve has preorder DLCCCCC!!!!!" Give me a break. Enjoy your loot boxes clowns.
The sheer volume of Evolve's slicing up of a game to sell it's constituent parts is what drew criticism...as well as the fact they were promoting that shit well before the game even released. They didn't try to hide the fact they were creating a shell of a game for $60, then selling all the little bits and pieces that used to be in games as content for extra. Evolve's system was shitty, loot boxes are shitty. Loot boxes are more exploitative, but we're still just grading piles of shit here...at the end of the day, it all stinks.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
"We really think we're ahead of the industry here in getting rid of loot boxes and making sure that we can both service people that are looking to accelerate their progression or earn cosmetics using money but also keeping the integrity of the game experience," he said.

So can you pay to level up faster? Because that seems like it compromises the integrity of the experience since the people willing to spend more money would be the ones on top of the food chain.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
How do you maintain the integrity of your game if you have an option letting people accelerate their progression by paying?

Seems somewhat contradictory.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I still find it ironic how one of the most hated and dog piled games of this gen is Evolve, a game that sold all of it's cosmetics upfront but was attacked with reckless abandon anyway. Then Overwatch comes out shortly after with lootboxes, popularized the mechanic, beloved by all. Really makes me question the intelligence of the average person. "Evolve has preorder DLCCCCC!!!!!" Give me a break. Enjoy your loot boxes clowns.
Have you played Evolve/overwatch ?
They handle dlc in a complete different way.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
What Gears 5 is doing is the same thing Fornite is doing. I think everyone has seen the success of that approach so they're ditching lootboxes and that has the additional benefit of appearing to be consumer friendly (until cosmetics are priced at $15 and up).

OP
OP
Cactuar

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The thread title should be amended to reflect that this nonsense is what The Coalition is saying about themselves in an interview with Games Industry and not something that Games Industry itself is saying about Gears 5.

As it is written, the thread title is somewhat misleading.

I don't necessarily disagree, as it's the actual Gears developers making the claim to be "ahead of the industry" on monetization, I just wanted to keep the thread title in line with the article title, and source the material. But yes, it's the developers who say they are leading the industry on monetization.

Apr 24, 2018
That's the thing with this industry, they just continue down the worst part possible until it's no longer feasible. Then going back to the old bad thing looks like an amazing achievement.

Reminds me of EA and the NHL series in a way. Take a feature out of the game, only to bring it back years later as a "new feature" or "innovative"

Edit: oops didn't mean to quote anyone lol

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
they aren't ahead of anything

this is just how microtransactions worked before the lootbox bullshit took off

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Ah it's the ol "ingame cosmetics cost 600 iron and you can buy iron in 500, 1000, 1500 but dont forget the bonus iron when buying those best value amounts" trick. How revolutionary.

My thoughts as well. The only way it will be revolutionary is if they actually let you buy the exact amount of currency required for the item you want.

Even then, I think that's been done before.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? This isn't new or innovative. Plenty of other games already have real money stores and no loot boxes.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
The sheer volume of Evolve's slicing up of a game to sell it's constituent parts is what drew criticism...as well as the fact they were promoting that shit well before the game even released. They didn't try to hide the fact they were creating a shell of a game for $60, then selling all the little bits and pieces that used to be in games as content for extra. Evolve's system was shitty, loot boxes are shitty. Loot boxes are more exploitative, but we're still just grading piles of shit here...at the end of the day, it all stinks.

In addition, Overwatch advertised that it would be an expanding game with new modes, heroes, maps, events, etc all for a single up-front purchase. Lootboxes turned out to be a really bad thing for gaming, but Overwatch needed a long term monetisation system to support it's model or else it would be selling character/map packs as DLC (which would fragment the playerbase).

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
no more boxes. we just transaction the micros straight to u

source.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 4 loot boxes were exceedingly egregious - even late in the games life cycles. I'm glad to see they reversed course, but I wish they'd own how shitty they'd been.

Oct 27, 2017
How about GI.biz does a feature celebrating AAA games that don't have any additional monetisation, like most output from Sony and Nintendo?

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
How about GI.biz does a feature celebrating AAA games that don't have any additional monetisation, like most output from Sony and Nintendo?
When those companies do multiplayer they generally have additional things to sell though. Last MP game I played from Sony was Uncharted 4's and it had stuff you could buy. Smash has dlc/pre-order bonus, etc. The longer you support these games the more the companies will look for ways to continue paying for those updates.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why do Microsoft games need microtransactions in the first place? I am told on a daily basis on this very forum that their Xbox business is flourishing with Gamepass and all.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How are cosmetic MTX a bad thing when they help fund significant post-launch support?

"A man cannot eat his cake and have his cake"
-- Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, 1538

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Truly groundbreaking stuff here. A cash shop on a console game.

The future!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why do Microsoft games need microtransactions in the first place? I am told on a daily basis on this very forum that their Xbox business is flourishing with Gamepass and all.

Perhaps because the people who work on additional post launch content for their service games need to be paid money?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 REQ packs but with the ability to buy individual items = the perfect in-game/mtx system

Super fair and rewarding system created by 343

(Once you got the BR or Halo 2 BR, I can't remember which was so "hard" to get)

So if Gears 5 could learn from them, I say go for it

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
There's nothing innovating or revolutionary about this. So many games have a store where you can purchase in-game currency with real money to spend on vanity items. At least it's a step up from Gears 4 where it was straight up loot boxes for absurd prices.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
So... normal cosmetic microtransaction? They are ahead of the industry by not being scumbags with gambling like mechanics?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Plenty of games don't have microtransactions.

Yea and those games tend to have poor support or are single player games which I don't care about.

There aren't "plenty" of games with great support and no microtransactions.

That's not to say that this article and this guy's statements aren't stupid af though. Direct purchase microtransactions came before lootboxes lol. Most games still use them over lootboxes.