• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The chart above is based on an analysis done by The New York Times and the Urban Institute's Center on Education Data and Policy. We undertook this project because the college-dropout crisis is a major contributor to American inequality. Many lower-income and middle-class students excel in high school only to falter in college. They then struggle to get good jobs.

College matters so much because it isn't just about book learning or the development of tangible skills. It's one of the first obstacle courses of adult life. The students who complete it typically go on to earn more and live healthier and happier lives, research shows.

For too long, high-school students, parents and guidance counselors have hardly thought about graduation rates when choosing a college. And for a long time on many campuses, administrators and faculty members didn't even know what their college's graduation rate was.

But now people are starting to realize the stakes. "The issue of college completion is front and center for presidents and trustees," said Ted Mitchell, a former Obama administration official who runs the American Council on Education, a consortium of universities.

Some high school administrators have also started focusing on the problem, in part out of frustration. Over the years, they have watched their hard-working, talented graduates struggle in college. "It's disappointing, to say the least," said Catherine Suitor, the chief advancement officer at Alliance, a network of charter schools in Los Angeles.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Kinda nuts. I'm been away from Higher Ed for a bit, so I didn't it's gotten this bad. As much as college gets hate these days from the hustleculture types, it does still seem the best indicator of economic gains over a lifetime for most people.

Oct 31, 2017
I was very nearly a college dropout, but I was able to squeak through to the end and felt like I just barely did it. Public school years was always very easy for me, and I was nearly a straight A student the whole way, but then I struggled really bad in College for a bunch of different reasons.

I have to imagine this kind of thing is quite common for a lot of people, yeah.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
I think there's more a correlation here than a direct causation. People who finish college tend to be hard working, intelligent, etc, and this will lead them to be successful later in life. I mean, is there anything you actually learned in college that made you successful later in life? (Not really for me) Getting someone to graduate, who would otherwise drop out of college, might not improve their life outlook as much as you think. That and it drives them further into debt.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I breezed through grade school (K-12) being smart (and lazy). Tests were easy for me and I did the bare minimum of work outside of class. Then college stopped me in my tracks because it was less about intelligence and more about putting in the work. At that point I didn't know how to put in the work and I had never needed to develop the willpower to make myself work on my own time. It was a real struggle for me and I just stopped going to the first university after a while and worked full-time. About 5 years later I was wiser and more mature and I was able to finish college at a different school.

Grade school does not really prepare you for college. At least it didn't back then.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's more a correlation here than a direct causation. People who finish college tend to be hard working, intelligent, etc, and this will lead them to be successful later in life. I mean, is there anything you actually learned in college that made you successful later in life? (Not really for me) Getting someone to graduate, who would otherwise drop out of college, might not improve their life outlook as much as you think. That and it drives them further into debt.

What did you study? I don't see how Doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, etc could have success without the skills you actually learn in college.

I use the advanced math and systems analysis skills that I learned in college almost every day of my life as an engineer. No way you can just teach yourself those skills faster or in a more efficient manner than what a college course can teach you.

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I breezed through grade school (K-12) being smart (and lazy). Tests were easy for me and I did the bare minimum of work outside of class. Then college stopped me in my tracks because it was less about intelligence and more about putting in the work. I didn't know how to put in the work and I never needed to develop the willpower to make myself work on my own time. It was a real struggle for me and I just stopped going to the first university after a while and worked full-time. About 5 years later I was wiser and more mature and I was able to finish college at a different school.

Grade school does not really prepare you for college. At least it didn't back then.
This is almost exactly my story as well. K-12 was incredibly easy for me, no work ethic required, dropped out of college after first semester, returned to university two years later.

My K-12 education did almost nothing to prepare me for college. Local community college courses I attended while in high school weren't much better.

University was also a complete culture shock for me, since I grew up in rural Iowa and my graduating class had only 57 students in it.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
As a former dropout myself (now back in school and doing great) the transition from high school to college was not easy for me. In high school I was taking whatever classes sounded cool, and having a lot of fun, not much pressure. Once I went to college the weight of "whatever Major i choose is what I'm going to do until I'm 65" was making the pressure of school really hard to deal with at only 18. I ended up quitting and working food service jobs for the next 8 years. Now I'm back at 26 and getting a BS in CS and having the time of my life. Call me a late bloomer or whatever but at 18 I just didn't have what it takes, and I do now. I'm lucky that I'm able to go back at 26, I understand not everyone gets a second chance at things like this.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
I breezed through grade school (K-12) being smart (and lazy). Tests were easy for me and I did the bare minimum of work outside of class. Then college stopped me in my tracks because it was less about intelligence and more about putting in the work. At that point I didn't know how to put in the work and I had never needed to develop the willpower to make myself work on my own time. It was a real struggle for me and I just stopped going to the first university after a while and worked full-time. About 5 years later I was wiser and more mature and I was able to finish college at a different school.

honestly sometimes i wish i'd dropped out after reading posts like this, because even though i graduated with what might be considered a 'good' gpa from a good school, i still never managed to learn how to actually capital W Work

and it's now kind of fucking me over as an adult in a considerably more ruthless environment

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why I don't understand why we should raise funds for free college. Most people probably shouldn't be going to college, if we're being honest. Germany funds college tuition much more than here in the U.S., but significantly less people by percentage get a college education there. They're much more selective with who gets in, which is how they're able to afford it.

Also, I can't help but imagine that maybe going right into college from high school may not be the best idea for a lot of people. I know I experienced a pretty strong bout of depression my first couple of years in undergrad. From what I understand, that's pretty common. I was able to maintain grades well, but I imagine that many students wouldn't be able to. In hindsight, I probably could have done well to take a gap year and get comfortable in my own skin without the pressure of college tuition. Maybe we could encourage a gap year as a viable strategy post-high school.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
College was easier for me. I could show up or not on my terms and the only hectic time is midterms and finals. Faster too.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
What did you study? I don't see how Doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, etc could have success without the skills you actually learn in college.

I use the advanced math and systems analysis skills that I learned in college almost every day of my life as an engineer. No way you can just teach yourself those skills faster or in a more efficient manner than what a college course can teach you.

I studied chemical engineering in college. After that got a Ph.D in chemistry, and went to medical school, and am currently a physician. Even in Grad school/Medical school I didn't really learn that much applicable information honestly. Sure I learned broad skills involving critical thinking, communication skills, etc. Most of my learning for what I actually ended up doing occurred in my residency. Obviously, it depends on where your career ends up taking you.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this is why I don't understand why we should raise funds for free college. Most people probably shouldn't be going to college, if we're being honest. Germany funds college tuition much more than here in the U.S., but significantly less people by percentage get a college education there. They're much more selective with who gets in, which is how they're able to afford it.

Also, I can't help but imagine that maybe going right into college from high school may not be the best idea for a lot of people. I know I experienced a pretty strong bout of depression my first couple of years in undergrad. From what I understand, that's pretty common. I was able to maintain grades well, but I imagine that many students wouldn't be able to. In hindsight, I probably could have done well to take a gap year and get comfortable in my own skin without the pressure of college tuition. Maybe we could encourage a gap year as a viable strategy post-high school.

I think Americans should drastically lower the financial challenges to attend but dramatically increase the requirements to be admitted. Getting into a good school in the US is way too easy, and way too many students are just not prepared to finish. When I was TAing in the US during grad school, I would fail like 40% of the class in any given semester, they never developed the necessary tools to actually learn.

My undergrad, however, was totally free but extremely hard to get into. National examinations are required and only the top grades in the country are even allowed to compete for a spot in the university. It was rare for kids in my undergrad to be as badly prepared as the ones I met here.

I studied chemical engineering in college. After that got a Ph.D in chemistry, and went to medical school, and am currently a physician. Even in Grad school/Medical school I didn't really learn that much applicable information honestly. Sure I learned broad skills involving critical thinking, communication skills, etc. Most of my learning for what I actually ended up doing occurred in my residency. Obviously, it depends on where your career ends up taking you.

But residency is part of the "med school" cycle, and I don't believe anyone would want you in their hospital if you were unable to pass the 5-6 tests required to apply for the residency.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
As a former dropout myself (now back in school and doing great) the transition from high school to college was not easy for me. In high school I was taking whatever classes sounded cool, and having a lot of fun, not much pressure. Once I went to college the weight of "whatever Major i choose is what I'm going to do until I'm 65" was making the pressure of school really hard to deal with at only 18. I ended up quitting and working food service jobs for the next 8 years. Now I'm back at 26 and getting a BS in CS and having the time of my life. Call me a late bloomer or whatever but at 18 I just didn't have what it takes, and I do now. I'm lucky that I'm able to go back at 26, I understand not everyone gets a second chance at things like this.

Awesome story, and keep at it!

We're often tripping over life stages arbitrarily, and it's good that you recognized you weren't in the mindset for it at the time, and also great that you recognize it now and are moving towards something that's making you happy.

Plenty of things in life I did (with resistance) too early, and that if I had just waited a bit for other aspects to develop, I would have cleared hurdles far easier. It's a process!

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017

i agree with a lot of the points in your post, particularly the second paragraph, but because of the nature of the US college system, in many cases not having a bachelor's degree here will disqualify you from all but the most basic jobs. 'free college' is mostly a stopgap solution to help lower-class people move past that barrier while we work towards a complete overhaul of that system. ideally...

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
article conclusions:
spend more on students
have them engaged in the school by living on campus and fostering community
give students structure and a path to graduation (instead of allowing aimless coursework for undeclared majors)

seems so simple doesn't it

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I breezed through grade school (K-12) being smart (and lazy). Tests were easy for me and I did the bare minimum of work outside of class. Then college stopped me in my tracks because it was less about intelligence and more about putting in the work. At that point I didn't know how to put in the work and I had never needed to develop the willpower to make myself work on my own time. It was a real struggle for me and I just stopped going to the first university after a while and worked full-time.
Exact same scenario for me. High school didn't do shit to prepare me for university. I gave up halfway through my first year and began working instead. Dropped out entirely once the second semester was over.

I don't regret not completing my studies-- I regret pursuing them in the first place. I'm paying for loans now because my family and high school pressured me into doing something that I had no idea I wasn't prepared for.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Currently a senior in college with no real incentive to graduate. I can no longer receive financial aid without another private loan ($70 grand in the hole). I've already learned most of the essential skills and can probably land a decent gig with more connections and internships.

More and more companies are starting to value skill sets rather than a piece of paper. It's so easy to learn just about anything you want online. I probably wouldn't have gone to college if I knew that was the case (mostly self taught)

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of structure was the hardest part for me.

Once you leave the pressures of a much smaller and more intimate social circle you are then thrusted into a campus of 20,000 students without parents and faculty checking up on you to make sure you bust your ass to class. Plus the prospect of staring down the barrel of the gun into another 4 straight years of schooling at a minimum for a major that you will spend the rest of your life doing is a lot of pressure.

I wish I could have taken a year off before my disastrous start but like 95% of all scholarships are for graduating high school seniors only. Eventually graduated at 29 and then 30 with a Bachelor's/Master's in Accounting but god damn were my 20s an absolute wreck.

May 9, 2019
High School didn't prepare me for college either. I simply breezed through High School. My first semester of college effed me up and was a wake-up call. I did terrible my first semester. I'm still in college and it's hard but i'm hanging in there.

Whats also depressing is how more and more people are saying who you know and overall connections will land you a job. Sometimes I just feel like I'm wasting time but there is like no other option.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
It's odd. I dropped out of high school and always d thought that the public school system was just a failure for people like me. I eventually did go to college off of a GED and completed my four years pretty easily with a 3.68 average and working on the side. So I went the opposite way I guess.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
But residency is part of the "med school" cycle, and I don't believe anyone would want you in their hospital if you were unable to pass the 5-6 tests required to apply for the residency.

Sure, I have had to pass many tests to practice medicine, the same way that I had to pass a bunch of tests in high school to get into college, a bunch of tests in college to get into medical school, and so on. There is certainly a huge amount of testing in today's medical training, but that doesn't mean what you're learning is actually giving you useful skills.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
UT of Austin had a historical graduation average of around 50% and it's actually gone up lately to 70%. I don't know if this is a crisis or if people are just finally paying attention.

College and HS are far too different. HS doesn't prepare you in the slightest and no one cares to help in college at all was my impression. I almost got kicked out for a C average my freshman year. I got through by blood sweat and tears. Literally. Went to the hospital a few times from exhaustion, cried a lot and definitely sweat working full time to pay for it all.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
College simply isn't rewarding unless you excel in your field AND your field is actually paying well.

I have a BA and nobody I apply to for a job cares. It's simply a checkbox on a form at this point.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Canada but this is essentially me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's also a lot of hopelessness in the youth in regards to the future in general. My kid keeps telling me about classmates that drop out to get full time jobs now rather than be saddled with student loan debt for a someday career they don't have any real hope for.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
High schools should be offering more alternatives and not just pushing singular paths to college. Not everyone is going to succeed in university. Trade skills, and minor certificates and some associate degrees can be very worthwhile. Blue collar stuff like plumbers and electricians can be very profitable solid job paths. High schools should be giving students all of the options.

May 9, 2019
UT of Austin had a historical graduation average of around 50% and it's actually gone up lately to 70%. I don't know if this is a crisis or if people are just finally paying attention.

College and HS are far too different. HS doesn't prepare you in the slightest and no one cares to help in college at all was my impression. I almost got kicked out for a C average my freshman year. I got through by blood sweat and tears. Literally. Went to the hospital a few times from exhaustion, cried a lot and definitely sweat working full time to pay for it all.
The stepping stones between HS and College doesn't exist. I will admit I took something called "College Now" where you would be able to take certain college courses in HS and it kinda helped. The courses were as long as actual courses in college so I was able to get comfortable with the hour+ classes.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Near 40 year old 3 time "dropout" here. It's from mental and physical health problems though, rather than difficulty. Started great, then tanked when everything hit at once. Anyway, worst part for me as a dropout is owing almost $40K with no degree, working retail, and still paying other debt. I'm very happy with what I learned, but if university goes bad, you can easily end up worse than if you never went.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was very nearly a college dropout, but I was able to squeak through to the end and felt like I just barely did it. Public school years was always very easy for me, and I was nearly a straight A student the whole way, but then I struggled really bad in College for a bunch of different reasons.

I have to imagine this kind of thing is quite common for a lot of people, yeah.

Same. And I had undergrad being paid for.

It's a wonder I got through a masters program at all, though it only being one year helped me tremendously.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The stepping stones between HS and College doesn't exist. I will admit I took something called "College Now" where you would be able to take certain college courses in HS and it kinda helped. The courses were as long as actual courses in college so I was able to get comfortable with the hour+ classes.
My biggest issue is 1 finances: You either work your ass off and live like a slave to pay for school so you aren't in debt when you get out or ring up massive debt and have a decent student life but then are denied the fruits of your education with hefty loan payments.

The other is learning how to study. The amount of reading retention, especially dry uninteresting reading, is MASSIVE in college and I didn't have the skills to actually retain what I was reading. The sheer amount was also daunting at times. I'd be assigned 300+ pages a week for some classes and it blew my high school mind away. I started to learn how to study but it took failure to be ready vs just being prepared.

Deleted member 13642

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I originally went to a pretty decent college in 2001, then just gave up halfway through. Straight f's. I wrote one hell of a readmissions essay a few years later and somehow got in again, same result. I somehow.. SOMEHOW did it a third time, same result. Community college, 3 times? I think? Over the years. Same result. I eventually got the message. I have neither the discipline nor the direction to make a go of college. So no career, no real money, just drifting from bullshit job to bullshit job for the rest of life.

The shitty thing is, I sometimes get a wild hair to try yet again because I still feel like I'm capable of graduating, but.. I mean. The body of evidence is overwhelming that I can't, or won't. Even if I went and somehow stuck with it, I still have no clue what I'd do after all this time. That's just reality.

Oct 25, 2017

Are you........me?

Feb 3, 2018
I suffer from serious ADD and dyscalculia(basicly like dyslexia except with numbers) and barely graduated high school.

So college for me is unrealistic anyways would not survive at all and just fuck up most math issues.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just taking college at my own pace. I have my AS and I'm working on my BS a couple classes per semester at a time because I'm working full time in my intended career field already. So it'll be at least two years before I'm done, and that's alright with me. It's better than burning out and dropping out.

Oct 27, 2017
University faculty member here who teaches a lot of freshmen. Honestly, one of the biggest issues tends to be fear and shame. I've had students more or less vanish after one bad paper or project, not because they couldn't improve but that they'd never known before how to ask for help and couldn't bring themselves to do so now. Our tutoring and writing facilities on campus never get used as fully as they could and it's not due to a lack of advertising. It's similar to the stigma surrounding mental health: if you're really "supposed" to be here, you shouldn't need to ask for support. Things spiral quickly from there.

We've tried adding extra initiatives on campus, and I actually require a one-on-one meeting with me in those entry classes just to ensure I can actually talk to each student and get a better feel for how they work. And I think that's crucial: there has to be some sense of human connection there whenever possible, that we actually care about the larger well-being and identity of our students beyond how the assignments turn out. A lot do. Many don't, more than there should be. But as long as grades remain the primary factor about how people feel they are not just evaluated, but seen, by faculty, the more that cycle will remain in place.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care in high school...

I got to college and somehow earned a 4.0 my first semester and that motivated me to keep pushing and doing my best.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people that dedicated their lives to school and still couldn't find a good job in their fields. What's the point? In the end, it's who you know that matters most. Connections. I actually have friends that have been fired from a job because one of the bosses' nephews or something took their place. Obviously they don't tell you this, but when you see who they hired after they let you go, that's when you realize the way the world. School is bullshit.

May 9, 2019
My biggest issue is 1 finances: You either work your ass off and live like a slave to pay for school so you aren't in debt when you get out or ring up massive debt and have a decent student life but then are denied the fruits of your education with hefty loan payments.

The other is learning how to study. The amount of reading retention, especially dry uninteresting reading, is MASSIVE in college and I didn't have the skills to actually retain what I was reading. The sheer amount was also daunting at times. I'd be assigned 300+ pages a week for some classes and it blew my high school mind away. I started to learn how to study but it took failure to be ready vs just being prepared.

Ya this was a problem for me too and kinda still is. I just don't have the discipline to sit down and study unless its assigned homework. The homework doesn't even have to be graded, I will still do it to study but this mainly applies to Math classes.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My college degree feels like a goddamn waste. I graduated in the hardest engineering discipline and I couldn't get a job because all entry-level positions required 5+ years of experience. Ended up getting a job in something unrelated to my degree and if I try to get a job now I can't because it's been too long.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad I didn't go to college straight out of high school. I simply wasn't ready and it would have been a struggle. Doing the military and then college was definitely one of my better decisions. The military gave me a certain mindset that made college rather simple. The discipline, the focus, and the drive to accomplish it. I finished my bachelor's in three years because I treated it like a job and I took it seriously. Furthermore; I was being paid to go (GI Bill), and it made finding a job after I graduated a breeze since I had the work experience from the military now paired with a degree. Plus there is the added bonus of being debt free.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I dropped out of college last year. The high cost was forcing me to take just 2-3 classes at a time so it was taking so long and holding me back from other opportunities. Just not worth it for me.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I've given up on 3 completely different degrees in the span of 20 years.

I also just got diagnosed with ADD, so maybe related.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm glad I didn't go to college straight out of high school. I simply wasn't ready and it would have been a struggle. Doing the military and then college was definitely one of my better decisions. The military gave me a certain mindset that made college rather simple. The discipline, the focus, and the drive to accomplish it. I finished my bachelor's in three years because I treated it like a job and I took it seriously. Furthermore; I was being paid to go (GI Bill), and it made finding a job after I graduated a breeze since I had the work experience from the military now paired with a degree. Plus there is the added bonus of being debt free.

Just ended my enlistment and I start class in August.
Sadly i took a different route, went to college right after high school, was not ready at all, dropped out after 2 semesters, fucked around and partied for a year, went back to school, got my Associates, went to the navy for 4 years literally a week after my last semester, and now I'm here and I'm so so ready to go back and kill some classsess.
Really wish I had enlisted right after high school, but o well, I guess Ive only lost a year in this whole thing.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Too many people treat college like it's just an extension of HS. Like, you're just putting off having to grow up for another 4yrs.

It's not. College is an investment in your future. I wouldn't have the career (and lifestyle) I have today without having earned my degree.

But that's not the only route to take. Learning a trade can also be extremely valuable