• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
How so? He links directly to the tweets being discussed.

What facts are incorrect?

regarding the misinformation in John Teasdale's tweets:
"hey, let me first give you the full, completely objective context" then how come i was able to tell what your stance was from the 3rd tweet on?

"Deroir, took the opportunity to contradict her and say "It's actually not that hard, just do this.""
Really? he said "its actually not that hard" huh? Thats not what he said at all.

at. all.

"It's actually not that hard, just do this." seems like such a slanted mischaracterization of Deroir's tweet, paraphrased to make it sound more condescending as proof that it was condescending.

It's been linked a few times. If we want to evaluate things in this way, by recontextualizing someone's words, unfairly paraphrasing and summarizing, assuming negative motives and such, then fine I guess. But to then not do the same to Price's comments reveals such a spectacular bad faith argumentation that it's difficult to take seriously.

I read the whole thing. He's falling into the same hypocritical trap of many by agreeing with Price's assertion that she's "off the clock" when literally no one else fired for social media nonsense (sometimes not even with their place of employment right next to their name) is afforded the same level of generosity. He's also making a lot of assumptions about Derior's intent when the stream just a day prior contradicts it.

So yeah, read the whole thing with an open mind and will now have no problem disagreeing with it.

Oct 29, 2017
You can disagree with how Arenanet handled the firing and such. But the whole debacle came about because of the employee's behaviour. No one forced her to act like she did towards a customer.

In case you haven't noticed, the debacle has blown up to be more than just about someone being rude to someone on Twitter.

Let's not start a "actually, this is about ethics in Twitter politeness" narrative.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I read the whole thing. He's falling into the same hypocritical trap of many by agreeing with Price's assertion that she's "off the clock" when literally no one else fired for social media nonsense (sometimes not even with their place of employment right next to their name) is afforded the same level of generosity. He's also making a lot of assumptions about Derior's intent when the stream just a day prior contradicts it.

So yeah, read the whole thing with an open mind and will now have no problem disagreeing with it.

Such as? Certainly in the video game industry we have numerous examples of people(men) acting like jerks on social media without being fired, and certainly not disciplined publicly.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
If I posted a thought on my Twitter and you started giving me unsolicited responses

You're on Twitter.

Why do people think Twitter is a literal safe space?

Especially when you just got answering an Ask Me Anything on one of the biggest sites on the internet and went to Twitter explicitly to talk about what you didn't have time to say.

And when you can make Twitter private and avoid this situation in the first place!

and I told you to fuck off, that would be a justifiable firing offense? I'm considered a 24/7 employee because my Twitter bio mentions where I work?

Kind of, yeah? Her being part of ArenaNet isn't just some throwaway comment. She just back on Twitter and it's still on her bio.

The fact that people keep wrapping themselves into pretzels to come up with minute details

Minute details like "you probably shouldn't do shitty things while representing a company" and "Twitter isn't fucking private just because you don't want to talk to people".

she deserves to be fired because she's a feminist SJW who insulted the God Emperor John Bain and then called someone a sexist (Ron Howard: "She didn't") when he gave her unsolicited job advice.

Mainstream Reddit is shitty, news at eleven.

These people would be calling for her head regardless of whether her bio explicity mentioned working at Arenanet or whether or not the discussion was specifically about her game.

If she's going to get shit on by these people regardless of what she's doing, why would being harassed...more??? by those people mean she should avoid consequence for her actions?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way that many posters in this community has reacted to this event and the ensuing fallout is a huge black mark on any form of progressiveness and tolerance that the forum brands itself as. It tells me that there isn't much understanding of women's situations in the games industry and that there is a disconnect in understanding what happened in 2014 with Gamergate. It is basically nothing more than another gaming subreddit or forum that is hostile and excluding of women and their existence in gaming spaces.

On top of that, it seems posters here care less about workers and their rights than multimillion companies and their large power over their workers whom they can fire at will for basically any reason. This community is supposed to be supportive of the people who make the games that people love, yet this situation makes it clear that posters would rather believe in companies than workers.

It is disappointing and actually soul-crushing to read the responses.

giphy.gif

Honestly, even setting aside the whole sexism issue, the fact that this company immediately terminated an employee without any disciplinary history or cause for recourse or appeal over a minor Twitter argument is incredibly disturbing. Unionize the fucking video game industry.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If I posted a thought on my Twitter and you started giving me unsolicited responses and I told you to fuck off, that would be a justifiable firing offense? I'm considered a 24/7 employee because my Twitter bio mentions where I work?

The fact that people keep wrapping themselves into pretzels to come up with minute details that supposedly justify firing her makes no sense when you look at the actual comments people are posting on the GW2 subreddit and elsewhere: she deserves to be fired because she's a feminist SJW who insulted the God Emperor John Bain and then called someone a sexist (Ron Howard: "She didn't") when he gave her unsolicited job advice. These people would be calling for her head regardless of whether her bio explicity mentioned working at Arenanet or whether or not the discussion was specifically about her game. It's a smokescreen and you gullible, hate-enabling fools are falling right into it in your desperate attempt to railroad a woman for being mean and disrespectful to a man -- the absolute most heinous crime a woman can commit.
"Unsolicited responses" on a public twitter thread? Isn't the main point of twitter and social media to get responses from your followers? It would be like posting an OP here on ResetERA and then complaining people replied to it and insulting them for replying.

If she didn't want his comment, block, mute, or report through twitter is the way to go to avoid any of this mess.

(Firing for this one offense seems out of proportion but could be expected. On the other hand Kamiya has been on a block rampage on twitter lately and calling people names etc and he seems to get away with it just fine. Different culture maybe?)

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
If I posted a thought on my Twitter and you started giving me unsolicited responses and I told you to fuck off, that would be a justifiable firing offense? I'm considered a 24/7 employee because my Twitter bio mentions where I work?

Not commenting on the rest of your post but yes. You are an employee 24/7 on social media of you list your real name and place of work. I graduated college in 2010 and one of the things they had us do was go to lectures about the real world. They had a good 30 minute discussion on social media and how posting whatever you want on there can land you in trouble. It was mostly pictures back then but posts still had the same impact. In fact the lecturer pulled up her employees Facebook page and saw she posted something while working. That was a no no.

I don't think people understand that behavior on social media can land you in trouble. Doesn't matter if you are off or on the clock. I guess most people think it's pictures and such. But nope. The same goes for being rude to an extreme.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Honestly, even setting aside the whole sexism issue, the fact that this company immediately terminated an employee without any disciplinary history or cause for recourse or appeal over a minor Twitter argument is incredibly disturbing. Unionize the fucking video game industry.

YES.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

Possibly?

People get fired for their social media postings even when their employer is NOT in their bio. I mean, this notion that you are free to stay whatever you want on social media publicly and think it cannot boomerang back on you offline needs to end.

Oct 25, 2017
Such as? Certainly in the video game industry we have numerous examples of people(men) acting like jerks on social media without being fired, and certainly not disciplined publicly.

I mostly mean outside of the industry and the greater narrative of pushing companies to fire. Though there was that Subnautica guy I guess.

The industry is pretty lenient on this and more men probably should be fired.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i love the idea of "unsolicited responses" on social media. y'all wanna talk shit but not get hit.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lost. Reading the exchange, where was the misogyny? From what I can see she turned what could end up being interesting discourse with a fan a bigger issue than it needed to be. That said, ArenaNet's action here may be seen as heavy handed, but as a game developer you need to understand your boundaries.

The comments from the YouTuber did no warrant the response she gave.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the tweets, I definitely agreed with his take on them.

His wording is basically like when someone says "Have a great day." in a way that leaves no uncertainty that they really wanted to say "Go fuck yourself."

I keep seeing "basically" when people are talking about Deroir's supposed motivations while at the same time Price's unequivocal rudeness is downplayed, sometimes even lauded

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem, she called asshat to someone, not only him but other people who was acting like that. If that's enough for woman in this industry to get harassed until her employer fires her, we have a problem.

If you and many people in this thread can't see she had reason enough to be annoyed, we have a problem.

And if you and many people in this thread that he didn't acted in an appropriate way, we have a problem.

We have a problem with the consideration of labour rights compared which the overwhelming rights we take for granted as customers, like having the right to have discussions on personal employees social accounts when is not her job.

And the many problems still have minorities in this hobby and it's the people who are part of it.
Yes, I agree, we do have a problem. The problem is that tweets are short and open-ended enough that anyone can insert whatever intent they want depending on which side of the argument they fall on and, as such, we'll obviously never be able to reach a consensus as everyone here is just seeing what they want to see. You want to see a mysoginist, mansplaining GamerGate cover agent who used his vile subterfuges to conspire against a poor, misunderstood victim who was just trying to fight the evil patriarchy? It's all there for you to do so, even if the reality of the situation is far more nuanced than that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Just make your Twitter private if you don't want men harassing you 4head"

You people are so transparent. You're not worth the ban I'd get.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I'm sure of is ArenaNet publicly firing her was a shitty move.

For sure. Their handling of the situation is pretty trash.

I do feel like people are putting blame in weird places. My read on this is pretty simple:

* the streamer's comment is top tier painfully stupid, but that's most of what you get as a developer; gamers genuinely don't know shit about game development but talk about it anyway

* Price's response is probably a misread; men don't get these kind of "insights" from players any less, but she's still human and sometimes people are going to flip you off if you say something that stupid to them on any given day

* a shitload of the gaming community is hot garbage and you should expect them to report a defcon 1 ass ache whenever human interaction occurs that isn't kid-gloved

None of the above stuff is actually that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things and any decent community team should have been the ones stepping in and giving direction. This has all the hallmarks of someone NOT trained in communications but with higher authority stepping in to fuck things up further. Especially with the other writer getting terminated.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I think considering it's Twitter in 2018 and she's a woman working in games, her being on edge is to be expected and not cause for termination. Warn her or scold her or whatever, don't do throw her out and say "good luck in dealing with assholes."

I agree. This seems super complicated. On one hand, I get it. She was pretty rude and condescending to a not terrible remark while representing her employer in a way. But on the other side, I get the need to go off on some random person telling you how to do your job.

My wife has to deal with this shit all the time with some of her male employees and people that she's seen at her job. She's always remained calm but she rants to me all the time about shit like this. She has someone at her job telling her that she wouldn't understand his current classes. He's getting the degree she's had for a couple years. I've met many women who've had to deal with this same shit. It has to be extremely frustrating.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no place to talk about the media's seemingly biased view of the situation? I see that's in the OP and it just seems really weird that only one opinion is allowed on it, especially when the OP itself is using those same sources to catch people up.

The media isn't a homogenous blob ... It's a whole bunch of people with different backgrounds researching and reporting on stories. If those varied sources tend to crystalize on a singular narrative, that's not called being biased ... The bias comes from people looking and a whiwh bunch of agreement and going, "Fake news!" simply to dismiss the power of consensus.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
After reading over the situation, it's pretty clear that Jessica got herself fired.

She was hurting the company's image with her tweets. Plain and simple. I've had jobs in the past where it's been made very very clear that doing things along those lines could and would cost me my job. Just because you're not "on the clock" doesn't mean you're free to do whatever you want.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
"Just make your Twitter private if you don't want "unsolicited responses" when you are explicitly open to responses."

I mean obviously "hey let me discuss this thing you've been openly talking about" is equivalent to dick pics.

EDIT:
You're not worth the ban I'd get.

Why are you on ResetERA if they'll ban you for totally justified and totally measured responses? Like Price, right?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case you haven't noticed, the debacle has blown up to be more than just about someone being rude to someone on Twitter.

Let's not start a "actually, this is about ethics in Twitter politeness" narrative.
It's blown up to where it is now because the likes of GG decided to latch onto it. The whole thing started, like I said, because of her actions.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm considered a 24/7 employee because my Twitter bio mentions where I work?

Specifically related to this question:

If you are posting publicly consumable media on any account that mentions where you work, you should do so knowing you are representing your employer even if you don't intend to.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reiterate what I said in I think a previous thread (or maybe it's the same thread now?). ANet should have had better disciplinary protocol in place. Other media companies like ESPN have better policy, and Price would get a temporary suspension without pay and revoking of social media access for a specified time. And no firing of Fries. But now, you get the worst outcome, where ANet overreacts in a major way, Price deals with harassment, AND Deroir the Youtuber who was a fan of Price and GW and WAS NOT EVEN MAD AFTER THE EXCHANGE, now has to deal with GG propping them up as an "anti-SJW hero", which means his streaming, and his community, is going to be infested with shitheads.. AND that's on top of people blaming him (when they absolutely shouldn't) for "getting Price fired" (he didn't). AND GGers are emboldened to do this to other companies now.

It's just shit. It sucks. It all sucks. And it all could've been avoided if ANet wasn't so hair-trigger.

Oct 27, 2017
Read some of the tweets there, Price seems completely obnoxious and I don't think I'd want to work with her. Does "progressive" mean giving anyone who isn't a white man a free pass or what?

The hate mob is obviously unacceptable on every level, if that needs to be said.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way that many posters in this community has reacted to this event and the ensuing fallout is a huge black mark on any form of progressiveness and tolerance that the forum brands itself as. It tells me that there isn't much understanding of women's situations in the games industry and that there is a disconnect in understanding what happened in 2014 with Gamergate. It is basically nothing more than another gaming subreddit or forum that is hostile and excluding of women and their existence in gaming spaces.

On top of that, it seems posters here care less about workers and their rights than multimillion companies and their large power over their workers whom they can fire at will for basically any reason. This community is supposed to be supportive of the people who make the games that people love, yet this situation makes it clear that posters would rather believe in companies than workers.

It is disappointing and actually soul-crushing to read the responses.

I feel very similarly. To say that this whole situation has been demoralizing would be an understatement.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is there no place to talk about the media's seemingly biased view of the situation? I see that's in the OP and it just seems really weird that only one opinion is allowed on it, especially when the OP itself is using those same sources to catch people up.
most people who accuse the media of being biased don't actually show their work

as an example, your very posts in this thread. i went through all of the posts you have made up to this point and you have said a couple of times in this thread that media are not reporting honestly (one time you actually said that this was a legitimate case of "ethics in games journalism", but you later edited away that post) but i have never seen you point out specific articles and specific passages of those articles you find lacking (you did do this for a twitter thread though)

so you have basically just been making generalization about media reporting this in an unbalanced way, without actually taking time to back up such assertions. if you don't point out the specific pieces and passages you find lacking, how can anyone counter what you're saying? how could your posts then lead to a good discussion?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree, we do have a problem. The problem is that tweets are short and open-ended enough that anyone can insert whatever intent they want depending on which side of the argument they fall on and, as such, we'll obviously never be able to reach a consensus as everyone here is just seeing what they want to see. You want to see a mysoginist, mansplaining GamerGate cover agent who used his vile subterfuges to conspire against a poor, misunderstood victim who was just trying to fight the evil patriarchy? It's all there for you to do so, even if the reality of the situation is far more nuanced than that.

You are trying to sell a narrative that simply isn't there.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Price has personal responsibility over how she handled the situation, and her ex-employer has personal responsibility for how they handled the situation. Deroir doesn't really seem to be in the wrong. It wasn't even a personal attack. In comparison, we've seen people trash talk someone like David Cage for his way of telling stories and no one bats an eye.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
If I called a high profile customer a "rando asshat" on a public platform, I'd be fired.

I'd also fire an employee who did the same. It's inexcusable.

There's a way to engage customers without vilifying them. At the end of the day, your customers are your revenue stream. As a company, you need to protect that revenue stream. Without them, there would be no company for you to work at.

I'd fully understand if her tweets were confrontational even - but the tweets were abusive. That's crossing the way - WAY over the line.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I implore everyone claiming that he wasn't being condescending to please read this thread with an open mind.

Basically this thread uses the rationale that something that would likely get me fired shouldn't get her fired. If I denigrated my company or my customers on my personal twitter and my employer found out that could be grounds for discipline up to termination.

I also fundamentally disagree with the analysis of substance because any disagreement can be distilled to "well actually-" when it suits your desire to do so. You can't actually disagree with someone while upholding every aspect of their position, and contorting that to "subtext" feels so fundamentally dishonest.

To the rest, Deroir was very much publicly discarded by Price and as such actually had something worth being disappointed about especially considering his prior praise of her. She had no such actual slight against her, and in totality created the motivation and opportunity for any and all of Derior's responses that the thread takes issue with while pretending their part in causing any confrontation was equal.

In the end we're just back to twisting words to fit a narrative that Deroir lacks sufficient standing to respond to a public post with any disagreement. The idea that this is a position some have made the foundation of their opinions, that the unwashed masses who lack decades of professional experience shouldn't dare deign to speak to our game developing overlords, is insane.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think most people agree that the company is mainly to blame

however, the company's narrative is that Price unprovoked started attacking (a member of) their community

their argument hinges on price being completely unreasonable

in that context, it makes sense to look into whether the comments from the streamer were patronizing or not

it's not about assigning all the blame to the streamer, but just about showing how he was being patronizing in order to explain how price was not being completely unreasonable in her response to him
That's just a roundabout way of trying to sprinkle some of the blame on him. And I'm done bothering with people trying to do that, because his comments were anything but negative or patronizing. He gave his opinion on something, end of story. People with any sort of basic social skills can see that her response was completely unreasonable. Cockroaches like GG and the like trying to ride the coattails of the firing doesn't change that.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Price has personal responsibility over how she handled the situation, and her ex-employer has personal responsibility for how they handled the situation. Deroir doesn't really seem to be in the wrong. It wasn't even a personal attack. In comparison, we've seen people trash talk someone like David Cage for his way of telling stories and no one bats an eye.

I do really really feel bad for Deroir in this situation, can you imagine going from being genuinely excited to share with a content creator you enjoy to being used by shitty shitheads on Twitter as an excuse to harass the creator you enjoy?

It goes without saying that I also feel great sympathy for Price in this situation, but Deroir is a really tragic figure here as well.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Specifically related to this question:

If you are posting publicly consumable media on any account that mentions where you work, you should do so knowing you are representing your employer even if you don't intend to.
This.

I remember a story where someone was wearing their work uniform "off the clock", got their pic taken doing stuff that was bad for company image and ended up getting fired. I forget the company, but I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I called a high profile customer a "rando asshat" on a public platform, I'd be fired.

I'd also fire an employee who did the same. It's inexcusable.

There's a way to engage customers without vilifying them. At the end of the day, your customers are your revenue stream. As a company, you need to protect that revenue stream. Without them, there would be no company for you to work at.

I'd fully understand if her tweets were confrontational even - but the tweets were abusive. That's crossing the way - WAY over the line.

Oh lord I can't even imagine what would happen to my entire career if I said something like that on a public forum directly at one of our higher profile customers on an account tied to my employer.

I'd likely never work in my field again.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ah some bizarre stuff thrown at Deroir still.

But in any case, *sigh* Anet should have handle this better to say the least. There certainly needed to be some discipline, but by damn this went ugly. It's disappointing by how this blew up.