• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Reading this thread is illuminating about just how many people defend the sort of power structures that private ownership entails.

No one even questions whether this state of affairs is reasonable. Instead they filter all responses entirely through an a priority acceptance of private property without attributing any of the problems illustrated TO private property.

It's as if most folks are saying, "Clearly it's acceptable that a small group of people can completely extend or withdraw a laborer's ability to continue to be gainfully employed."
Yeeeeeeah. They can because they pay her money to do a job and if her work causes a possible loss of revenue because she flew off the handle to one of your most prominent customers you are going to get fired. If it had been some rando customer that likely would have been a warning but a content creator that focuses on your game is treated differently, especially with the amount of vitriol Price had over a well meant tweet. If one of my employees did something like that to such a prominent customer that this customer brings in even more revenue to my company she has become a giant liability. I would rather she were not fired but she hasn't even admitted she did anything wrong or apologized. If she had apologized before she got fired I bet she would still have a job now and she would have just been warned and it was justified.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh so you mean you're actively engaging with them and not being forced to see things you don't want to? cool so we agree

wtf are you talking about? Twitter is a public forum. Whether you engage with people or not is up to you, but unless you set your account to private or whatever options Twitter has, you and what you say is open to the world, and is no different than shouting it out in public.

Honest question to this point in particular:

When did Deroir actually do this?

No where, the guy is actually a fan of hers, but people have strawmanned him into being a GGer.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, maybe if you find yourself arguing on the side of Gamergate, it's time to reassess your position.

This is exactly the sort of thing that's killing The Discourse.

GG were asshole creeps, but saying "Oh, if you take their side on anything, then you're in the wrong!" is absolutely fucking insane.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Regardless of whether you're a person of color, male or female, a different race, etc. You do not under no circumstances be rude to a customer. Especially when you're representing your company under your social media. Because at the end, that will come and reflect on the company you're working. Which is why she got fired. Was the firing a bit extreme? Yes. But at the point that is up to her boss to decide.

What anyone says on social media always carry consequences. Personal or professional.

Thank you.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actively participated in your specific discussion in this thread, but I have a quick question for you, why are you trolling people who are wanting a civil discourse with you?

Because they aren't deserving of a civil discourse. A forum that values marginalized members would have banned several of the users in this thread months ago.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
So you can't have opinions and get angry at people if you say where do you work when you use your personal account out off work? Do you realize how silly that is?

Your personal account stops being personal once you start using it for work related purposes AND you list your company on that as well AND you're broadcasting your views on a public platform.

For ex: You're wearing your Subway employee t-shirt on your way back home (so you're off-hours) and someone records a video of you yelling obscenities at an elderly man for no apparent reason. That video then goes viral. You think you're still gonna have a job? Or if you were the boss, you'd still keep that employee around?

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Leaving a review is significantly different. You review your experience with the product, which requires zero expertise in the MAKING of that product. You might think the coffee is shit, but that doesn't mean you're qualified to tell them 'if you planted the beans when the temperature was 5 degrees warmer you'd get a less bitter taste'

What if they say its impossible to grow beans that lack the bitter taste despite the fact that you've eaten beans that lack the bitter taste?

Oct 28, 2017
You know an easy way to not get people to cheer when you die? It is not be a bad person during your life. I wouldn't have cheered for his death but I am not ignorant not to understand why someone would feel differently about it.

When you are dead, you don't need to defend yourself since what the living do is not relevant. The only thing you can do is come into the world do your best, leave a positive impression and move on, hopefully people will remember you fondly.

You know an easy way to not lose your job? Don't publicly insult your customers, mock someones death, or talk crap about your previous employers when you're inevitably let go for toxic behaviour.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

GG were asshole creeps, but saying "Oh, if you take their side on anything, then you're in the wrong!" is absolutely fucking insane.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not I agree with this, but just as a heads up I got a 3 day ban for basically saying exactly this.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
What level of social "wrongness" should get you fired from a company. Not being sad at someone's passing is level 2? Two level 2 infractions gets you fired? Not letting a seat for elderly people is level 1 then? So if I do it 4 times I should get fired?

I think it's pretty obvious that the former is far worse than the latter. But you know that but have decided to dig your hole deeper. Jeez.

Step back from the screen and reevaluate what you're typing.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread is illuminating about just how many people defend the sort of power structures that private ownership entails.

No one even questions whether this state of affairs is reasonable. Instead they filter all responses entirely through an a priority acceptance of private property without attributing any of the problems illustrated TO private property.

It's as if most folks are saying, "Clearly it's acceptable that a small group of people can completely extend or withdraw a laborer's ability to continue to be gainfully employed."

but like

she said "asshat"

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your personal account stops being personal once you start using it for work related purposes AND you list your company on that as well AND you're broadcasting your views on a public platform.

For ex: You're wearing your Subway employee t-shirt on your way back home (so you're off-hours) and someone records a video of you yelling obscenities at an elderly man for no apparent reason. That video then goes viral. You think you're still gonna have a job? Or if you were the boss, you'd still keep that employee around?
Companies should protect their employees from hate mobs on the internet. Companies should not fire employees based on the employee bringing them bad PR over a viral video. Companies should own up to the bad PR and make sure that they do not support hate mobs like GamerGate on the internet by firing the employee.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, absolutely. Whatever happened to people always "Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences" all the time? This is the exact scenario you're talking about.

Ultimately, say whatever you want. Whatever happens, your rights aren't being infringed on if the government isn't getting involved.

The consequences of someone saying "asshat" to someone else on twitter on your personal account and another person defending it get both fired.

Those kind of consequences are unacceptable. They should have received some punishment, but not this. This is giving mobs of entiitled gamers the power to harass people on social accounts.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

Literally the only thing GG stands for is the harassment of women and minorities.That's their only side and only consistent viewpoint.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
You may think you are in control of your own life; however, you are but an extension of your employer. They own you, they direct how you operate in and outside of work, and most people will lick those boots until the day they die because they want food on the table. This happens regardless of you wearing their clothing or representing them in any obvious form.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
wtf are you talking about? Twitter is a public forum. Whether you engage with people or not is up to you, but unless you set your account to private or whatever options Twitter has, you and what you say is open to the world, and is no different than shouting it out in public.
Worse actually. Twitter is a public, permanent record of what you post on it.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
because there is a wide chasm between choosing to engage with someone and having opinions and throughrs violently hurled at you against your consent in public. they couldn't be more different

Oct 29, 2017
I got you confused with the other guy, who blatantly claimed anyone who wasn't with them is a GamerGater.

Fair enough, no that's not me.

No, I'd say I see the whole forest. Most are cut for lumber. One is cut down because it started a forest fire. In front of that tree are environmentalist nuts dancing in the flames, while some people on the cliff go "it was obviously them who did it".

A bit of a clumsy analogy lol

Because it was a nebulously defined "organization" in the first place and just as much as a significant event in the gaming industry as it is an easy crutch for people who don't have an argument to start labeling people with.

Do you believe these "desperate" anti-GG weirdos are the only ones bringing up GG?

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Uh

You got some people calling the ability to insult customers without penalty a workers right b lol

Calling people gamergaters for not agreeing

You're not getting it if you think this is about being called a Gamergater. Read fyrewulfs post:

Price was the target of a misogynistic hate campaign. The @s towards here and other female devs is 99% GamerGaters and about 1% Guild Wars players. This is their standard mode of operation, they suddenly show up no matter the size of the community when they finally corner a target they've been chasing.

Anyone claiming GamerGate has no involvement here is either hopeless naive, or a GamerGater runniing the ol' "wasn't me" script. It'd be great if the administration here didn't allow the second one to be done, but for a forum founded around the concept of believing woman that have been harassed, it sure seems to have turned it's back on them already and now you have to carefully manage what you say along the lines of the ol "Republicans buy shoes too" shlock. Interesting how in women's issues threads, the women here have to fucking do everything themselves with a bunch of men telling them something isn't happening, with no help from the administration, and the result is Era is losing multiple long time women posters every week because they are fucking tired of having to "careful" with their honesty and viewpoints so that it doesn't hurt the feelings of Era's ad clickers.

And save me the ol' "the team here has ____ on it and we care". Words don't mean fuck all. Actions do. It's been tracked for a while now that this forum cares more about throwing out warnings for console wars posts, but does weird shit like only ban misogynistic for 3 days. You can be more transparent without also allowing people to metagame you like Kasparov playing a 5 year old in Tic Tac Toe.

That people even offering the idea that her firing occuring in a vacuum not only receives oxygen here on Era, let alone results in honest call outs of that resulting in decent posters getting warned for it, speaks to how much this forum has failed those it supposedly cared about when founded. I am in the thick of this in twitter right now; male devs going hard against these people do not get a mob on us, even when we're VERY blunt, but female devs that literally just have their company in their bio are getting DMs, mail and email and voice mails sent to their employers at them, hoping to get lucky and another spineless CEO will toss them. Women like Hazel were under the radar, and GamerGate didn't lock onto her until they started keyword searching for tweets supporting Price

So, let's review:

- There is an active, prolonged campaign against women in the games industry.
- This campaign is actively managed and participated in by GamerGate, and can be confirmed by simply searching their subreddit.
- ERA has done a really, REALLY poor job of not giving GamerGate a free megaphone here, proved by facts and community feedback in the relevant community threads, because your "process" is so easily metagamed that I've almost wanted to become a troll account just to prove how broken it is because your moderators hands are so fucking tied not even Houdini could ban an obvious troll account
- Developers are not your property, are not on the clock 24/7, do not owe you a smile, and do not owe you the response you think you deserve
- The things people are claiming these devs on twitter owe them can all be obtained through the company's official support methods, you don't need to go after devs personally
- Critiquing games is okay, constructive critcism is great. Asking for someone to be fired because your feelings got hurt is bullshit, especially when male devs do it all the time and don't get a peep, and a bunch of people actually praise or like smartass male devs (see how many people brag about being blocked by Kamiya) while female devs doing the same are "misrepresenting their company" makes you immediately suspect as to your actual reasons for supporting Price's firing. As it should.

Thanksfully, the industry is about 90% on Price's side on this matter. O'Brian has done more damage to the industry as a whole than the mob could have ever done to his company. It's so fucking ironic that people want devs to be more open and "honest", and when they are, they want them to go back to being PR-laden call center script interactions because some people can't seem to remember that gaming is a hobby, not a goddamn identity and lifestyle.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
That viewpoint is actually insane.

No court over here would side with the employer over a termination like that
you wore your uniform, which can be publicly identified and traced back to your company, as a somewhat high level position going into a bar and getting into a public verbal argument with someone else that ends with telling them to fuck off, and you don't get fired? i cant tell if you're delusional or if you're just trying to banbait.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Seems silly to apply that situation to this one given the vast discrepancy in job type, industry, etc. Particularly given that the situations are not really the same.

Well, the guy whom I was replying to said that people shouldn't be offended if someone calls them an asshat ...

And what you're saying is that - you can can offense selectively based upon job type, industry, etc. as well as on the situation.

Interesting.

Is there a list of jobs & industries based on which I can call customers "rando asshats" and not face any consequences?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
On the Jessica Price firing, I agree with ArenaNet here.

It's this quote: "The next rando asshat who attempts to explain the concept of branching dialogue to me ... is getting instablocked."

This is exactly why I would have fired her without question. She lacked restraint and a respect for the players. Her gender should not a play a role in this. ArenaNet fired both Price (female) and Fries (male, who also took her side). Firing both was of them was SPOT on.

Her ego is her problem. She had a chance to teach, ignore or debate and instead chose instead to rant. My advice on your next job: stay off social media until you learn restraint.
The above is the opinion of a friend of mine who was the HR lead of a 1000+ employee organization and is now the CPO of another major company.

Oct 25, 2017
Etiquette never mattered much to him in life when it came to his support for a hate group. Why should the people he helped victimize afford it to him?

They shouldn't. But if they want to appear better than him, they should stay silent when people close to him are still grieving. If they don't, only they can be blamed for whatever consequences come their way. If that means being fired, then that means being fired.

Again, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

A friend of mine works at a large car manufacturer, as an engineer. He wears a shirt with the company's logo to work. Sometimes, after work, a bunch of people from his office go to a bar together. Still wearing those shirts.
Now, a random guy who bought one of that company's cars is in that bar too, sees them and tells them "Have you tried putting square wheels on the car? That might improve things". He tells him to fuck off. Should he be fired?

To preface again, I do not think Price should have been fired. I think she should have gotten reprimanded, just as your friend should get reprimanded in the situation you proposed.

That being said, things are going to be treated differently with local vs global situations like this. A very visible social interaction on social media is not the same as some altercation at a bar. The consequences of the latter could be a shitty yelp review. The consequence of the former is far more wide-reaching.

Oct 25, 2017
On an unrelated subject, how do you feel about people who participated in the KKK rallies holding up Tiki-Torches being fired from their workplaces without even a badge representing their workplaces?
I'm quite happy whenever antifa discovers the identity of one of those guys and gets them fired from their job or expelled from college.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you wore your uniform, which can be publicly identified and traced back to your company, as a somewhat high level position going into a bar and getting into a public verbal argument with someone else that ends with telling them to fuck off, and you don't get fired? i cant tell if you're delusional or if you're just trying to banbait.

He said in a later post that he's from Germany, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a more sane track record when it comes to taking away people's livelyhoods for doing dumb but otherwise harmless things.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Best part is, Jessica herself realises this, yet conveniently forgot all about it when said financial consequences came back to bite her on the ass.

t2IBGQR.png[img]
LOL. This forum often celebrates when conservatives and Trump say something and later it comes back to bite it in their asses so I guess it's OK if I laugh at the irony of this statement.

IMO, this firing isn't controversial at all. Writer was being an asshole to somebody that didn't deserve it. She must have been too proud to apologize publicly so her employed fired her. The only undeserved punishment here was given to the other male writer that defended her but nobody gives a shit about him.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest reasonable reaction, at MOST, to this should've been people calling for a boycott of ArenaNet or something.

I can see the point of wanting insulting customers to have consequences.

But that consequence shouldn't be getting fired.

I fear for a world in which working for a company means you're eternally bound to be agreeable to people just because they're customers.

People should be free to speak as they wish, which includes their workplace.

A reasonable compromise between this and holding people accountable for their behavior through work would've been calling for a boycott. At most.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So you wouldn't be offended if your barista called you an asshat to your face in front of other patrons after you asked why you were triple charged for $50 for a $5 latte?
This comparison doesn't work because Price didn't charge him for anything. She made a big thread about the difficulty of a certain aspect of her position, and some dude, who isn't a professional, tells her how to do her job. She responds rudely, but it's hardly surprising when you have countless people already combarding you with criticism or demands for attention, or this ill-assumed "closeness" that validates an unprompted exchange.

This isn't someone being mad about being overcharged for coffee. This is someone going up and telling the person behind the counter how to make their coffee better. Another in a long daily barrage of comments about your work.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States

This is a really good observation yet no one is paying attention to it.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
You may think you are in control of your own life; however, you are but an extension of your employer. They own you, they direct how you operate in and outside of work, and most people will lick those boots until the day they die because they want food on the table. This happens regardless of you wearing their clothing or representing them in any obvious form.

control is an extension of responsibility.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious that the former is far worse than the latter. But you know that but have decided to dig your hole deeper. Jeez.

But how far worse is? Does that mean that if do several times less worse things I get fired? We are trying to make a scale of "social wrongness" on our private lives here to give companies more random reasons to fire us outside of out working capacity. Please be cooperative.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
He's no longer around to defend himself but spent years shitting on people who needed defending. Sympathies for his family, but his dickish behavior was part of his legacy too.

That in no way excuses any harassment his family had to endure and still has to endure after his passing.

I consider it a deep part of human compassion and simple, honest decency to not lambast an individual who has passed away nor pass on said vitriol to their family and loved ones.

People like to say that individuals are flipping out on one side of matters, but then turn a blind eye to those who are doing the same disgusting acts towards a deceased individual and their family and loved ones. Simply because they disagree with the individual and their actions when they were alive does not give anyone a get out of jail free card to act like an outright ass to their family and kin.

We as human beings should be far above and well beyond this kind of crap. Seriously.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because there is a wide chasm between choosing to engage with someone and having opinions and throughrs violently hurled at you against your consent in public. they couldn't be more different

opinions and thoughts violently hurled?

The guy gave some polite criticism/suggestion after a public AMA....

Nobody here is defending the bullshit GG was spewing on twitter, but the initial criticism that kickstarted this mess was anything but "violently hurled."

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying the impact of a harassment movement and mocking other members is unacceptable, history of similar behaviour, account still in the junior phase
A bit of a clumsy analogy lol

Thank you.

My point being that it is very clearly about one focal point and any stronger question than "should she be fired for being an asshole" is up to speculation, examination of the American workforce, and agendas, but not because it's actually about this.

Case in point, if she wasn't an asshole, none of this would be happening. She'd still have her job, feelings would be spared, sexists would... still be sexists, but that's life.

Do you believe these "desperate" anti-GG weirdos are the only ones bringing up GG?

Besides the much moreso desperate, actual GamerGaters? Yes. Yes I do.

The time came out like an explosion and faded just as quickly. Trump got elected, the victims of the movement recovered, everyone moved on, except for the ones who never shut up about it.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
This thread is really sad.

FyreWulff Just sexism working as intended. We girls have to to be twice as nice and considerate of the feelings of the men here as they're expected to be of us, or else we're "not being civil." I can see why it would be exhausting for some