• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I get y'all want to make sure people know just how rude she was but it gets draining knowing people want to keep circling that particular bit instead of moving on.
That's the most important bit though.

Men getting away with being shitbags doesn't excuse a woman being a shitbag. They shouldn't be getting away with it either.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her being mean to a person isn't the root cause. It was a catalyst for hateful people to prop of ethics and professionalism in the work place. They don't do this to the many racists, misogynists, and other bigoted people in the industry. Like, we have 70+ pages of people arguing her professionalism while issues like a trans woman almost being fired for being trans all because of this hate mob is passed over so quickly.

Like, I get y'all want to make sure people know just how rude she was but it gets draining knowing people want to keep circling that particular bit instead of moving on.

You do understand that a lot of people see that as the most important part that led to her firing, right? A lot of people like yourself disagree and say her firing is actually the direct result of a hate mob having formed that harassed her and called for her head until Arena Net capitulated. I really don't see evidence of that in this particular instance. It's not in the OP. It's not in any of the articles I've seen on the subject. It's not in any of the posts I've read in this thread.

The thread about the trans woman almost being fired is 10 pages long and still active. It hasn't been passed over. It's smaller because almost everyone on this forum agrees that it is a completely fucked up situation. The only real disagreement in there seems to whether the CEO in question should be named and shamed or not.

Lucky24

May 22, 2018
I found it funny how people defend a person who falsely accused someone of sexism. Not only that devalues the real problem in gaming industry but shit like this can destroy careers and even lifes.

She deserved the boot
And she is not even sorry

Edit: I read somewhere that all of it was a part of AMA. Can anyone confirm?
Seeing this kind of response restores my faith in ERA, I expected the complete opposite discussion before opening this thread. Glad to see that most people understand that this kind of behavior is punishable when you are discussing things pertaining to your employer and/or your professional work.

Also, in this day and age, just falsely accusing someone of sexism can end his/her career and life so it's definitely not something to be taken lightly. For that alone, she deserved it 100%.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Except there's multiple male devs out there with twitters where fans basically brag about being roasted by them and not a fucking single hand wring over "they're representing their company where's my unflinchingly nice customer service from a person that doesn't even work in customer service"

Outside of Kamiya where some would consider being blocked/insulted by him as some sort of badge of honor, who else?

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is there any hard evidence of this at all? Even in this thread, which I must admit is where I'm primarily getting my information about this incident, all of the links to threads on Reddit and the GW2 forums were really not that massive for the most part
the main thread on reddit had over 4000 responses
and had a lot of negative sentiment about Price's words, but I didn't really see anything in terms of people calling for her firing?
there were comments like that, but they have since been removed. from a mod post in that reddit thread:
Personal attacks are not relevant nor a good contribution. Just to be clear, any discussion of the claims, behavior, or tweets is okay. Any responses that are personal attacks, rude, or state things such as mindless name calling will be removed.
so the smoking gun evidence you're looking for has been removed, but it was certainly there at one point

but even the cleaned up version of the thread had people calling for her to be fired:
In my opinion ArenaNet should fire Jessice Price... but if they do, then people are obviously going to call them sexist.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can not even comprehend why someone would fire two persons because of this tweets. Thats ridiculous.

So its either the boss hated those to anyway and saw this as an opportunity to get rid of them, or the company is in trouble anyway and wants to get rid of employees.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This is utterly absurd. If you don't want responses then don't post your message on an open forum. Start a blog, write an article for a site, there are all sorts of avenues.
Well to be fair, Sarkeesian had comments disabled for Youtube. Didn't really help her against harassment. They come to you on some other way if they can't comment on blog, article etc.

Edit: To be clear, absolutely not referring to Deroir as a harasser of any sort. He's blameless in this and approached Price as respectfully as one could. Strictly talking about the GG folk and their ilk when mentioning harassment.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well to be fair, Sarkeesian had comments disabled for Youtube. Didn't really help her against harassment. They come to you on some other way if they can't comment on blog, article etc.

Edit: To be clear, absolutely not referring to Deroir as a harasser of any sort. He's blameless in this and approached Price as respectfully as one could. Strictly talking about the GG folk and their ilk when mentioning harassment.

It's also important to remember Sarkeesian never attacked anyone for no reason

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's also important to remember Sarkeesian never attacked anyone for no reason
Her videos are mostly valid (also important for the medium) critique and yet she got all kind of shit thrown at her because of those. I wish she got responses like "I slightly disagree" and not ones that make her fear for her life. No doubt Price has got plenty of those too.

But mainly I wanted to point out that even when people make it clear (blocking comments) that they aren't really looking for replies, they still get them. Though I don't think it's clear when someone posts on a puplic Twitter account.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Just wanted to add I personally dont think these writers should've lost their jobs. So glad I remain anonymous on social media sites because it's not worth losing your job over this stuff.

Hopefully they got huge severance packages but I doubt it....

saint2e

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to add I personally dont think these writers should've lost their jobs. So glad I remain anonymous on social media sites because it's not worth losing your job over this stuff.

This. Every time someone wants to remove anonymity from the Internet, I think of these types of scenarios and cringe.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the main thread on reddit had over 4000 responses

there were comments like that, but they have since been removed. from a mod post in that reddit thread:

so the smoking gun evidence you're looking for has been removed, but it was certainly there at one point

but even the cleaned up version of the thread had people calling for her to be fired:

Oh, it's been cleaned up? Because that thread was linked earlier and I sorted it from old to new to read in chronological order (as much as Reddit allows for that), and didn't really see a whole lot that would constitute a GamerGate-style harassment campaign. It looked largely similar to this thread, honestly.

Wouldn't a lot of the harassment have taken place on Twitter, either directly towards Price or towards ArenaNet? I'm not seeing any of that over there and they don't delete shit for the most part.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Oh, so it's been cleaned up? Because that thread was linked earlier and I sorted it from old to new to read in chronological order (as much as Reddit allows for that), and didn't really see a whole lot that would constitute a GamerGate-style harassment campaign. It looked largely similar to this thread, honestly.

Wouldn't a lot of the harassment have taken place on Twitter, either directly towards Price or towards ArenaNet? I'm not seeing any of that over there and they don't delete shit for the most part.
eh, i took a quick look in her replies and saw a few responses from suspicious egg accounts with 3 total tweets

and who knows what the twitter algorithm is filtering away from the public eye

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh, i took a quick look in her replies and saw a few responses from suspicious egg accounts with 3 total tweets

and who knows what the twitter algorithm is filtering away from the public eye

Fair enough.

I've seen a lot of GamerGate and 4Chan shithead coordinated attacks and, to me at least, this does not look like those at all. Not to say that Price has not been subjected to such hate campaigns in the past. We have evidence that she has.

It's just that in this particular instance, I don't see anything that indicates that Arena Net caved to a raging mob rather than just made a decision based solely on the actions of the employee(s) in question. I personally feel like firing on the spot was a bit too much, but I can also see why Arena Net would react that way given the circumstances.

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the degree to which this situation has emboldened the Alt-Right and GamerGate this past week I have hard changed my position on her firing from "It's understandable why she was fired" to being very against.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This. Every time someone wants to remove anonymity from the Internet, I think of these types of scenarios and cringe.

That's the thing someone can take what you say, which could be a completely innocent non controversial statement and somehow twist it, take it out of context and use it against you. You especially cant say stuff ironically, sarcastically or jokingly in the past and have changed recently. And it doesnt matter if its corrected or discovered to have been twisted later on. In this immediate information age no one cares about corrections or accurate information. Your reputation is ruined in the eyes of the majority of people.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the degree to which this situation has emboldened the Alt-Right and GamerGate this past week I have hard changed my position on her firing from "It's understandable why she was fired" to being very against.

Even if the firing itself was justified, there is very little justification for how the firing was handled. It empowered all the wrong people.

Oct 25, 2017
Would ya look at that, a poster who pays attention, listens and adapts to actual reality rather than having their head so far up their own ass that they can't detach their theoretical principles no matter what is going on around them. Genuine kudos to you!

Context matters and protecting employees from hate movements is ALWAYS more important than enforcing professionalism when those two things are at odds. So, once more with feeling; fuck everyone involved in this firing over at ArenaNet.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it really was a sad state of affairs isn't it? I gotta be honest though, I don't think firing was a bad course right? Its a lose lose situation anyway. On one hand you fire her and this happens and on the other you keep her and you cause further divide in your community for keeping an aggressive dev. What she said was a baaaad thing and Arenanet couldn't just let her get away it with it. While I believe the firing was an understandable outcome maybe it was best to have very strong words with her or...idk something to that effect in order to limit the amount of...Gamergateness.

I forgot the guy's name but he should not have been fired at all. He just came in at the wrong time to defend a co-worker. He should just have been told off

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
I mean after all this time, it's not obvious that Arenanet could have also apologized to Deroir if that was such a huge deal and ensured that the two didn't interact with him beyond that incident?

Something like:

"A few of our staff had an interaction via social media with a member of our community that did not conform to our standard of community interaction. The involved employees have been disciplined according to our policies and will undergo training to ensure their future interactions with our community are productive and positive.

To the member of our community, Deroir, we would like to issue an apology in words and with an account specific flair to reflect our acknowledgment of his contributions to our fan base."

Would that have been hard to do?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I found it funny how people defend a person who falsely accused someone of sexism. Not only that devalues the real problem in gaming industry but shit like this can destroy careers and even lifes.

This.

Also you shouldn't use terms like " hurt manfeels" if you complain about sexism. It's like saying Jessica Price and Peter Fries are racist persons because they attacked a streamer from Denmark and then adding some racist prejudices about the USA.

In my opinion her tweet about TotalBiscuit speaks volumes about her character:

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since we've seen a driveby link to a 20+ minute video with no summary.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty bizarre that he's complaining about her tweets four weeks after the incident, but then I checked his channel and saw that the two previous videos he did on the ArenaNet event were substantial peaks in views.

As I saw someone say before, that channel seems to be the video form of a top uprated post on r/gaming.