• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I think she definitely went a little over board with her tweet at that one dude that was trying to discuss the dialog options. But I didn't think she went so far as to actually be fired because of her tweet. If I was looking for a job in the games industry ArenaNet would most certainly be on the bottom of my list right now cause they will throw you away without a second thought.
The thing is that she made a couple of tweet and the reason she was fired was also because she probably can't understand why that kind of answer to a fan asking a question is wrong.
Again, there was multiple paths available to her. Again , there was no need for her to be on the attack afterwards.
The CEO of arena.net publicy stated what she did wrong. If she wanted "protection" from "bots", from "abusers" she could have contacted her staff.
EVEN If she felt under threat , there was dozens of things that could have been done. She put herself on an "unprotectable" position by her own will.

You just don't fire 2 people from your well acclaimed writing team if you have other options available to you.

Oct 27, 2017
So basically we can't analyze the situation or how it was covered or else we spawn gamergate?

Is there now a moral imperative to side wholly with Price and throw basic critical thought out the window?
I honestly have no interest in continuing a conversation with a response like this. I just hope you and everyone here readthe twitter threads posted here and realize that this conversation has moved well beyond whether she was rude to the guy or not.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where all the free speech absolutionists are right now

Oh wait, they only show up to defend far-right shitheads when their hate speech face repercussions

I'm one of those free speech absolutists and not once have I defended someone getting fired after they were being a racist shithead on Twitter. Free speech is for the government, not private companies.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Lazy efforts like this will never work.

There is good reason to be justified in feeling concerned about this behavior but since i feel the firing of Justine Sacco was justified for her racist comedy it clearly can and should work regardless of our biases.

In aggregate Sexists going after women have a much higher barrier to clear because a company isn't going to fire someone for made up events while the rest of us can report unprofessional hostile behavior that is easier to prove.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Polite, constructive conversation can still be disrespectful if not delivered at the right place/time under the right pretenses (i.e. the person receiving it sought it out).

But even moving beyond that first exchange, once Price made it pretty clear she wasn't open to that discussion, for him to make sure EVERYONE knew how disappointed he was, was pretty telling. He wasn't "politely" withdrawing from the conversation at all. Politely withdrawing from a conversation on Twitter means no response, or a simple apology followed by no response. "I'm disappointed in you #butI'mAFeministY'all" isn't polite by any stretch, it's pretty ridiculous to see people here try to paint it that way.

You might be right but then isn't she even more disrespectful in the first place?

''thanks for trying to tell me what we do internally, my dude 9_9'' is not only disrespectful, but rude as well.

She pretty much tells him to ''f*ck off'', no matter how unintentionally politely disrespectful Deroir's reply was there's really no need for this kind of response.

Sure Deroir was pretty upset afterwards but can you really blame him? At least he takes it a lot more mature and professional than Jessica did, and he still remains very polite and calm to the very end, even after all the things Jessica said.

I hate to say this but every single one of her response was rude as hell, and totally unprofessional. She didn't deserve to be fired but there's no justification to her behavior either.

Even if we ignored their argument and assume they are both right and wrong, she could've handle the aftermath so much better, like she could've just said ''that was a bit rude, I'm sorry'' and he would've just said ''it's alright'' and everything would be fine, it didn't have to be this ugly.

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how Price reacted, it really isn't that hard to see how Derior's initial comment could be (and was) taken poorly given the context of the way things are in gaming.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Derior wasn't condescending. She sure as hell was.

Of course he fucking was. The is no polite way to tell a veteran of the industry that they are doing their job wrong, specifically regarding their exact area of expertise, when you yourself have no relevant experience the field.

It was not a conversation between equals, and assuming that whatever he heard on YouTube or era or wherever else gave him even standing is rude, regardless of what exact language he used. And while I can't crawl inside his brain to figure out exactly what he was thinking at the time, when you see a man actively depreciating the expertise of a woman, it's not unreasonable to start a conversation about sexism.

The only thing you can reasonably point to and say she did something wrong is her choice of the word "asshat", which she probably shouldn't have done, even though he was being one.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He apologized? Not before playing the victim. He deserved a discussion (without caring if his tweets was worth a discussion) or an answer (without caring about the fact she's not in any obligation to do so). He apologized because she made her angry while doing nothing wrong, again not apologizing for what he did wrong.
It still means that he backed out of this whole thing and tried to leave on good terms. It was her who kept going and dragged it into the public

Oct 25, 2017
Polite, constructive conversation can still be disrespectful if not delivered at the right place/time under the right pretenses (i.e. the person receiving it sought it out).

But even moving beyond that first exchange, once Price made it pretty clear she wasn't open to that discussion, for him to make sure EVERYONE knew how disappointed he was, was pretty telling. He wasn't "politely" withdrawing from the conversation at all. Politely withdrawing from a conversation on Twitter means no response, or a simple apology followed by no response. "I'm disappointed in you #butI'mAFeministY'all" isn't polite by any stretch, it's pretty ridiculous to see people here try to paint it that way.

You realize Deroir made a point to say "I'm a feminist" because he's getting harassed by both people who blame him for Price's firing and GamerGators mocking him right?

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing people mention this. Please, sir, please inform me of what standards of evidence I must provide when accusing someone of sexism. Which forms do I need to fill out? Do I need them duplicated, or will a single copy suffice? Which office do I turn them in to? Will an email work, because I don't have a printer. As a woman, I lack the intelligence to understand the complex legal process involved when making such a heinous accusation as sexism, and obviously require your assistance and permission. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gee, I guess it's a good thing you don't know where I work, huh?
But the whole conversation happenned on a public space on the internet where everyone can see and records of said conversation are public.
What kind of evidence do you want , especially when the whole sequence of events is written ?( with timeframes no less ? )

I don't get it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I keep seeing people mention this. Please, sir, please inform me of what standards of evidence I must provide when accusing someone of sexism.

How about them saying or doing something sexist. Should be a pretty easy requirement to fulfill.

Again: dressing opinions with politeness doesn't excuse how wrong, hurtful or insensible are those opinions.

Imagine if you applied even 1/10th this amount of harsh scrutiny to Price's comments.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by posting dismissive gifs in sensitive threads, history of similar behavior.
Again: dressing opinions with politeness doesn't excuse how wrong, hurtful or insensible are those opinions.
tenor.gif

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Of course he fucking was. The is no polite way to tell a veteran of the industry that they are doing their job wrong, specifically regarding their exact area of expertise, when you yourself have no relevant experience the field.

It was not a conversation between equals, and assuming that whatever he heard on YouTube or era or wherever else gave him even standing is rude, regardless of what exact language he used. And while I can't crawl inside his brain to figure out exactly what he was thinking at the time, when you see a man actively depreciating the expertise of a woman, it's not unreasonable to start a conversation about sexism.

The only thing you can reasonably point to and say she did something wrong is her choice of the word "asshat", which she probably shouldn't have done, even though he was being one.

IUiPgCC.png

This is condescending?? Are you for real?

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He isn't telling her she is doing her job wrong.
He is telling that he disagrees with her and he thinks that branching dialogue doesn't work in MMORPGs because no one dared to do it right.

It seems everyone is projecting insecurities and prior bad experiences on him, her included, and that made the situation shit the bed.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017

The response to that perceived slight could have also been handled much, much better in my opinion. She could have handled this whole affair professionally and yet she did not. Which is unfortunate.

If things had been handled differently, Price and Fries would still be employed.

As the CEO of Arena Net said himself. " A perceived slight does not give us license to attack. "

Oct 25, 2017

Remind me to bring this up whenever anyone criticizes my music in anyway what so ever. It's disrespectful of other people to have opinions when I've been playing for 12 years.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I would feel sorry for her had she not used her gender as a reason for everything going wrong. She responded poorly to a guy, who did not say a single thing about her gender, and she was fired for that exchange. If it was solely about her gender, a male coworker of her's would not have been fired alongside her. She refuses to own up to her mistake and decides to just blame everyone else. The company didn't set a mob out to get her, people were angry the moment she sent out a downright disrespectful tweet to someone who did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment.

I still hope she lands on her feet, and i'm sure she will, but throwing everybody around her under the bus is not the way to go about this.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
If I understand this correctly:

Giving feedback to a post which, if you contort your skull and spend all your time on Twitter blocking people, sounds vaguely like mansplaining = condescending

Telling someone to fuck off and call them (a close partner to the company you work with) a "rando asshat" = mildly rude

Is this right?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're getting to the point where I'm not sure my contributions to this thread are valuable anymore, so I'll say this one last thing and peace out.

That's the thing, nobody really brought up the issue of women in the industry but herself. She was needlessly snarky about it, too. I could've gone and just said "Thanks for your feedback!" or whatever or just not reply at all. Not that hard to do, really. But she chose to be hostile. Which is weird, because Price was very informative and polite during the AMA. She gave some great insights about the game's story/processes.

And she seems to have a history with comments like these and not isolated to that one comment that may have played the part in her firing. I definitely wouldn't have fired her for just one tweet because she was having a bad day.

But that's what I'm getting at. In isolation it's easy to say, "well, if someone gave me unwanted feedback or whatever, I'd just say 'thanks!' with a smile and ignore it."

Imagine having to do that to ten or twenty people over Twitter every day. Imagine they were all telling you what Deroir told them: "hey, I love the stuff you do, but I think you're maybe a little wrong about this one thing, have you thought about doing this instead?" Imagine this happens every day, and imagine that sometimes it's polite and well-meaning, and sometimes it gets a little mean, and often it's not clear which of the two it actually is.

If it's your job to be customer service, the answer is you suck it up and put on the smile anyways because it's your job. But Jessica Price isn't customer service, at least not the way we usually define it. The expectations for what she should do are murkier at best, even if you take the stance that she's representing the company 24/7 on social media and hell yeah she should put that smile on. What I'm saying is that if people prod at you enough times in low-key annoying ways, eventually you might get fed up. And if that one instance where you lose your cool is the thing that gets you fired, that sucks.

Is that what mansplaining really is? I mean I get it, having some feedback shoved into your face out of nowhere like that can be annoying, but that kind of comment wouldn't be any different if Price was a guy.

And of course the GGer's would be all over this. They are pricks. There is nothing to suggest that they have anything to do with Price's firing, just jumped on the bandwagon afterwards. Unless I'm wrong about that?

I can't speak for Deroid, I don't know what he would or would not have done if Price was a guy instead. It's possible he would've made the exact same comment. It's also possible he would've been more deferential. Remember that Deroir didn't even pose it as a question. He just said, "I disagree with your statement, you could probably have fixed this problem by implementing dialogue trees." That's not an antagonistic statement, exactly, but it also assumes a certain authority of opinion, which is probably unfair given that it's literally Price's job to think about that stuff on a regular basis and Deroid is just a dude who plays the game.

Two more random things. First, people keep posting that Twitch clip where Deroir says he loved the AMA and the way Price answered questions as proof that he meant no harm and everything's totally fine. But his admiration for Price doesn't suddenly mean it's impossible for him to cause offense. It just means that he didn't intend it. Intentions are great and we should value them somewhat. But it's also worth noting that it's entirely possible to be sexist, racist or offensive without having a single iota of intent. Systemic cases of discrimination often work this way: no one sets out to discriminate, but the system is designed in such a way that leads to those outcomes. Deroir probably didn't set out to assume that he knew more about Price's work than she did, but that's how it came out.

Second, none of the above changes my opinion that what Price did is not a fireable offense, never mind Peter Fries. She was somewhat rude to a person on Twitter. For this, she was called into a meeting with the head of the company, yelled at for a bit, then shown the door immediately. Then the company put out a statement characterizing their Twitter activity as "attacks on the community," never mind that only one of them even talked to the guy in question. And before you say, well, any company would've done the same, look at all the examples of other game dev houses reacting differently to the news: talking to their employees about social media use so that everyone knows what the expectations are, or telling the community that they don't have carte blanche over hiring or firing decisions and that they stand behind their employees.

Oct 29, 2017
You might be right but then isn't she even more disrespectful in the first place?

''thanks for trying to tell me what we do internally, my dude 9_9'' is not only disrespectful, but rude as well.

She pretty much tells him to ''f*ck off'', no matter how unintentionally politely disrespectful Deroir's reply was there's really no need for this kind of response.

Sure Deroir was pretty upset afterwards but can you really blame him? At least he takes it a lot more mature and professional than Jessica did, and he still remains very polite and calm to the very end, even after all the things Jessica said.

I hate to say this but every single one of her response was rude as hell, and totally unprofessional. She didn't deserve to be fired but there's no justification to her behavior either.

I was responding to your initial question about when responses can be seemingly polite in the surface but are still disrespectful. Price was neither polite or respectful, I don't think even she would argue that. She wasn't trying to be.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remind me to bring this up whenever anyone criticizes my music in anyway what so ever. It's unfair of other people to have opinions when I've been playing for 12 years.

How dare people comment on stuff.

Do you all even deal with criticism or diverging opinions on work on a daily basis? How do you all cope when someone doesn't agree with you?
If people never questioned jack shit in the structure, companies would have stopped inovating or course correct long ago.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This situation has gotten really ugly. It was murky from the onset, but it has only become more so. The people who I tend to be ideologically aligned with are making a lot of bad faith arguments, and anyone who disagrees with them is being branded as a bigot. This seems like it is turning into a giant proxy battle...

A situation that started off as unfortunate has become a complete shitshow. I doubt anyone is going to walk away from this situation looking good, though I am sure it will be a giant feather in the hat of every gamergater.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
The notion that because a GGer is in support of something then it must be a bad thing is ridiculous.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly have no interest in continuing a conversation with a response like this. I just hope you and everyone here readthe twitter threads posted here and realize that this conversation has moved well beyond whether she was rude to the guy or not.
The problem here is from the very start your faction has tried doing everything possible to make this a story about sexism at all costs.

You are not grasping that you are talking mostly to another faction where we want sexism to be addressed but by pushing towards fair treatment. An asshole should always be treated like an asshole. People who do the respectable thing should be treated with respect. If you want to show That understanding then own up to the fact you want to create and enforce a double standard.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was enough to send angry dudes to her. And then she did the comment aimed at him and other people.
Compare the times.
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1014554296107483136

https://twitter.com/DeroirGaming/status/1014564971416518656

She called him out publicly an hour before he even made the comment where he supposedly threw a tantrum and apologized

From what I can tell do responses in a thread also don't appear in the timeline of followers. So it's likely no one even saw this until she posted it on her timeline.

Edit: even the "rando asshat" tweet was before he even responded

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1014555719352213504

Kind of an important detail people missed when they said he was just throwing a "tantrum" at the 9_9 tweet

Last edited:

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
She literally wrote "I'm not sure it's possible..." so she isn't sure despite being a veteran. Why even write this if you don't want to read any suggestions and have a discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
That was enough to send angry dudes to her. And then she did the comment aimed at him and other people.

Not once did he direct people to harass her. He wasn't subtweeting her (she was the one doing that), he wasn't sicking his fanbase on her, he was just having a conversation.

Do you propose visible people on Twitter with any sort of opposing positions only converse via DMs? Because that's the only way there won't be harassment when an Internet personality is involved.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It still means that he backed out of this whole thing and tried to leave on good terms. It was her who kept going and dragged it into the public

Kind of agree, he pretty much just said ''Very disappointed by your response cause I really just want a civil discussion, guess I'll leave now.'' but for some reason that piss her off too.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017

if you feel the need to attack someone who tries to talk to you about something you are better at than they are, thats narcisism. which doesnt really go hand in hand with professionalism

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This situation has gotten really ugly. It was murky from the onset, but it has only become more so. The people who I tend to be ideologically aligned with are making a lot of bad faith arguments, and anyone who disagrees with them is being branded as a bigot. This seems like it is turning into a giant proxy battle...

A situation that started off as unfortunate has become a complete shitshow. I doubt anyone is going to walk away from this situation looking good, though I am sure it will be a giant feather in the hat of every gamergater.

Yeah, I've had to mute some of my follows until this settles because people are starting to act like dude planned to get her fired and that being rude to your employer's partners is completely fine

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not once did he direct people to harass her. He wasn't subtweeting her (she was the one doing that), he wasn't sicking his fanbase on her, he was just having a conversation.

Do you propose visible people on Twitter with any sort of opposing positions only converse via DMs? Because that's the only way there won't be harassment when an Internet personality is involved.

He didn't needed to direct people, as presenting himself as the victim like he did nothing wrong, you can spark fire. Specially when you are a member of a gamer community...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't needed to direct people, as presenting himself as the victim like he did nothing wrong, you can spark fire. Specially when you are a member of a gamer community...
Considering she dragged this out into the public before he could even respond in the thread I'm going to go with a clear "nope" on this.

She wanted to make this a big deal and it blew up in her face.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit. We are reaching the point where he was wrong just by existing.
Why does he not have the right to feel offended by that by the way? Are you saying he should be held to an higher regard adequate to his position as an influencer of the gaming community?

Are you implying people should be accountable for their actions depending on their positions and rank?
Do you notice a contradiction here?

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they fired her and the other guy are bad enough. Labeling them as enemies of the community is so fucking gross and far more unprofessional than they claim she was originally. Great, not only did you throw them under a bus but you also vilified them to the very people who were already harassing them. I don't know how anyone working there can feel safe knowing THAT'S how their employer handles situations like this.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the root of the problem. If you can't see that, there's nothing else to discuss.
So are you being disrespectful by providing feedback to the post when I didn't ask for it from you?

The fact that they fired her and the other guy are bad enough. Labeling them as enemies of the community is so fucking gross and far more unprofessional than they claim she was originally. Great, not only did you throw them under a bus but you also vilified them to the very people who were already harassing them. I don't know how anyone working there can feel safe knowing THAT'S how their employer handles situations like this.

What?

Jessica had identified herself as an ArenaNet employee on Reddit and Twitter, had been discussing Episode 3 storytelling with fans on Reddit, then had written a 25-part tweet about how we tell stories in MMOs, relating it back to Episode 3. She was representing the company. The expectation was to behave professionally and respectfully, or at least walk away. Instead, she attacked.

Concerns have been publicly raised that she was responding to harassment. It's not my place to tell employees when they should or shouldn't feel harassed. In this case, however, our employees could have chosen not to engage, and they could have brought the issue to the company, whereby we would have done everything we could to protect them.

We won't tolerate harassment. When an employee feels harassed, we want them to bring the issue to us, so that we can protect the employee, deal with the issue, and use it to speak to the larger issue of harassment.

Whatever Jessica and Peter felt internally about the situation, this was objectively a customer engaging us respectfully and professionally, presenting a suggestion for our game. Any response from our company needed to be respectful and professional. A perceived slight doesn't give us license to attack.

We've all dedicated our careers to entertaining people, to making games for the purpose of delighting those who play them. We generally have a wonderful relationship with our community, and that's a point of pride for us. We want to hear from our players. It's not acceptable that an attempted interaction with our company — in this case a polite game suggestion — would be met with open hostility and derision from us. That sets a chilling precedent.

The tweets were made on July 4, when the studio was closed for the holiday. We were aware of them that day, and decided we'd need to take action in the morning. The fact that the community's anger was escalating on July 5 could make it look like our action was a response to the community's anger. But that wasn't the case. We took action as soon as we practicably could.

I hate to let an employee go, and I wish the best for Jessica and Peter, as for any former employee, in whatever they choose to do next.

Whatever you thought of the tweets, Jessica and Peter were also part of the team that brought you the kidnapping scene in Episode 1, which was a wonderfully well-executed scene. That's how I want to remember their time at ArenaNet.
- Mike O'Brien President of Arenanet.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe i'm reading it wrong or don't see the subtext, but I feel like he pointedly doesn't do that. He says "I believe" and "disagree", both words (to me) imply that the person is not certain and is looking for a discussion. The whole thing reads more like he wants to pick her brain about the narrative choices than him trying to tell her she's wrong. Like obviously they've considered branching narratives, it's easy to tell by her work that Jessica Price is skilled, It's impossible they never discussed that option. But he thinks that would solve a lot of issues. I read his question like he's trying to get insight on why they went the route they did, and not him trying to inform someone with years of experience of a basic narrative design.

It's easy to read what he wrote and see the latter (especially with the fact that it's no doubt happened to her before), but I don't think it lines up with how he seems to view her and the fact that he's sung her praises previously.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
yeah it's seriously fucked up

they clearly failed in their responsibilities towards their staff there

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

This is what makes the whole thing so frustrating.