• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Female devs experiencing harassment shouldn't get fired for mild twitter incidents and neither partners for just supporting her"

Fixed.

no accountability =/= she shouldn't get fired over this

There are several levels that Anet could have punished Price, they went for the nuclear option alongside someone who just defended her.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparatively, I don't recall Jay Wilson getting fired for anything he did after the launch of Diablo 3, including the infamous "fuck that loser", comment. Certainly more inflammatory than what was said here.

Whataboutism for sure, but would some examples of male employees at video game companies getting fired for badmouthing "the fans" make you happy? What are you looking for?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have? tell me then,

whats the ANet's policy on the use of an employee's public twitter?
what was Price's relationship was like with her coworkers and managers?
did she have any prior problems with hr? if so, how many? what are the details of those incidents?
what are the details of the conversation that took place in that last meeting? do you have reports on that from both parties?
what kind of options did Mike O'brien and HR consider before going ahead with the termination?
where is peter fries in all of this? did HE have any prior problems internally?

etc etc. we are colossally underinformed when it comes to the internal affairs of a company. especially with a solely reactive media like we have right now.

You keep doing this posturing about everyone being misinformed so we shouldn't rush to judgement but everyone can pretty clear see what side you've landed on lol.

But yeah, sure, the 15 year employee with the milquetoast tweets was surely a massive HR shitstirrer behind the scenes so we better wait for the facts fellas. In the meantime, let's go after the shifty media and also pretty clearly imply Price is the devil.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Correct. I'm saying NO ONE should be getting away with completely dismissing someone with nonsense. Regardless of gender.
mr-freeze-gif-5.gif

lol

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
I just love the men showing up to trot out the "she's a bad feminist" line while relishing in the abrupt (and contradictory to company policy) dismissal of a woman in the face of rampant harassment. Like any of you give would give a shit about that in any other situation. Funny how they never seem that concerned about ArenaNet's own imperfect politics.
Don't generalise. It makes you look like a fool.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
No one is having a conversation here. This thread is a mess.
You can't have a conversation when people come in and pretend to be dumb instead of engaging in all the arguments presented.
This won't change until the mod team gets more on the case in this thread. And I honestly am losing any interest in engaging in good faith after the 20th
"Jessica price deserved this. What do you mean with Peter Fries? Who is that? Why is this about gender again?"

It is just absolutely baffling after 8 years of documented garbage people still cannot give the slightest big of empathy here. Every judgement is made in a vaccuum of personal bias.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
She was almost totally fired because of hate mob pressure. If this shit blew over they'd still have jobs. I feel like anyone pretending that Arenanet wasn't backed into making an action is just naive.
That to but I think it was mainly because arena net has been on a series of bad Subreddit PR. They probably thought firing the employees will win them a few points but instead blew up.

Anyway since the middle of June are arena net has been dealing with a fanbase that complained about the release of its living story episode even though the company promises a timeframe of 2 to 3 months. This release was closer to the 3 month but still within the previously expected time.

The players freaked the fuck out demanding an explanation. Eventually arena net gave them one about the issues. Unfortunately, at release it was buggy and unplayable but after a day it was fixed.

The other issue was, it was just too short and had a lot of missing content. Then a few days later this happens.

As usual arena net wanted the cheap easy pr win and predictably overcorrected.

You can make an argue about Price, but a lot of pro-fire have just ignored Peter Fries, because they cannot come up with a good justification for a coworker getting fired without warning for defending a co-worker. And here arena net thought it was going to be an easy win for them.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kamiya actively acts like an asshole toward his fans for sport and is celebrated for it

I wonder what the difference is

A) Kamiya is so utterly dickish on twitter that it pretty much wraps back around to hilarious. Plus, at this point I'm pretty sure he's just doing it for the sake of his brand
B) Kamiya acts like a dick to everyone, versus Price who called out one specific person for nonsensical reasons

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Pretty simple, one is an industry veteran director and founder of the company he works at, and the other two are rank and file narrative designer/writer. At most companies, different rules apply between being at the top and being a subordinate. Also, surprisingly, different companies have different cultures and policies regarding external communications and community engagement.

I personally take no offense or issue with the things Fries and Fisher said, but I 100% understand ArenaNet's decision to fire them for doing so.
This wasn't in regard to company policy, but how outraged people are over how Price acted toward a customer. From a consumer standpoint the more senior the position the more you should be outraged, yet the same rules don't seem to apply for someone like Kamiya than they do Price

Actually these rules didn't even seem to *exist* before this happened. It just seems like a huge reaction to people trying to justify why they think a woman should be fired for being rude

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
The part that really got me was the "Don't expect me to pretend to like you here.", instantly outing that she, in fact, dislikes the customers she is supposed to be serving. Can't really expect someone who doesn't even pretend to like their customers to do their best job.

Also I told you insects 100000000000 times that Kamiya should've probably been fired by now for doing nothing but tweeting all day.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A) Kamiya is so utterly dickish on twitter that it pretty much wraps back around to hilarious. Plus, at this point I'm pretty sure he's just doing it for the sake of his brand
B) Kamiya acts like a dick to everyone, versus Price who called out one specific person for nonsensical reasons

In other words, "he's wacky and Japanese so it's OK, but she was just being a non-sensical woman who doesn't know what's she's talking about."

DorkyMohr

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That to but I think it was mainly because arena net has been on a series of bad Subreddit PR. They probably thought firing the employees will win them a few points but instead blew up.

Anyway since the middle of June are arena net has been doing with a fanbase that complained about the release of its living story episode even though the company promises a timeframe of 2 to 3 months. This release was closer to the 3 month but still within the previously expected time.

The players freaked the fuck out demanding an explanation. Eventually arena net gave them one about the issues. Unfortunately, at release it was buggy and unplayable after a day it was fixed. The other issue was, it was just too short and had a lot of missing content. The a few days later this happens.

As usual arena net wanted the cheap easy pr win and predictably overcorrected.

You can make an argue about Price, but a lot of pro-fire have just ignored Peter Fries, because they cannot come up with a good justification of a coworker getting fired without warning for defending a co-worker. And here arena net thought it was going to be an easy win for them.

Interesting insight into what was going on with the community before this.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
You keep doing this posturing about everyone being misinformed so we shouldn't rush to judgement but everyone can pretty clear see what side you've landed on lol.

But yeah, sure, the 15 year employee with the milquetoast tweets was surely a massive HR shitstirrer behind the scenes so we better wait for the facts fellas. In the meantime, let's go after the shifty media and also pretty clearly imply Price is the devil.

the side i landed on was the fact that Price's tweets were 100% irresponsible, rude, and reason enough for termination.

i havent said anything about peter fries, because, again, i dont know enough about that, none of us do.

there is probably still a lot of things we dont know about price's situation within the company as well, but the stuff thats out in the open is enough to form an opinion on that.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Please get back on topic and stop sniping at each other personally.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Orth got fired for insulting customers online.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/6/5075106/adam-orth-xbox-one-gdc-next
At GDC Next, Orth said the decision to leave Microsoft was his. He resigned four days after the initial blow up via an email to his employer. He and his family relocated to Southern California and Orth is now pursuing his creative efforts with another company. Of his original tweet and the ensuing exchange with another game developer, Orth said the following.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well honestly, being a beloved Japanese developer. Cliffy B doesn't get Kamiya treatment here, who is also often abrasive and direct in social media and otherwise. Cliffy B is a dick while Kamiya is tensai.

Cliffy B routinely had long threads on GAF shitting on him for his social media behaviour. Adam Orth was eviscerated on GAF with memes and celebration of him leaving MS due to anger around his behaviour. Jay Wilson was shit on as well with long topics on GAF about his fuck that guy comments, and while Blizzard didn't fire him he was sent grovelling - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/6398870250

Kamiya does seem to get away with more, but that's not to say he doesn't get called out by people pissed off at his brash behaviour (or upset when they get banned), but for better or worse he's managed to create a social media character around his banning and snark. Not everyone gets "Hideki Kamiya" level "privilege" on social media.

I'm not linking to any more GAF topics but just search

"Jay Wilson neogaf"
"Cliffy B neogaf"
"Adam Orth neogaf"

in Google and quickly remember history around some other notable mouthpieces who have said things on social media and ended up facing consequences.

It happens and it's not always equal as each employer might act differently and/or your position in the company does sometimes give you a veneer of privilege. I think a thing with Hideki Kamiya is him behaving cool and decent in real life, so his social media account is treated more like an act or overly stimulated behaviour. Like some sort of comedian.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
The part that really got me was the "Don't expect me to pretend to like you here.", instantly outing that she, in fact, dislikes the customers she is supposed to be serving. Can't really expect someone who doesn't even pretend to like their customers to do their best job.

Also I told you insects 100000000000 times that Kamiya should've probably been fired by now for doing nothing but tweeting all day.
developer's don't fucking 'serve' the people who buy their games. jesus christ. they don't, and should not, and to suggest otherwise says something PROFOUNDLY fucking depressing about the medium as an art form.

they owe NOTHING to people who are being assholes to them, whether they spend money on the game they helped make or not.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nonsensical? There is more sense in Price's tweets than Kamiya telling people to fuck off for saying they like one of his games

Just because your brand is that you act like a dickhead doesn't excuse you for acting like a dickhead. Either you think people on twitter who represent their companies should have to work with a certain amount of civility or they don't. You don't get to pick and choose

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed.

no accountability =/= she shouldn't get fired over this

There are several levels that Anet could have punished Price, they went for the nuclear option alongside someone who just defended her.

There are, and there's an argument to be made regarding severity. That argument doesn't start with calling Deroir out again and pretending the only other option was walking on eggshells as was the beginning of that chain.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
You seem to be saying that it's unfair she got away with barking, because you couldn't do the same without a ban.

Honestly, if rules are broken, people generally suffer the consequences. Isn't that how it's supposed to go? You make an account here, and the post etiquette it pretty cut and dry.

Off top is also another one, so that's all I am going to say about this.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
No one is having a conversation here. This thread is a mess.

The second we started to bark at each other even the thinnest veneer of civility had peeled away...

That being said, I do think the Kamiya comparison is an interesting one. Why is it that if you engage positively with your community, but then make a shitty remark, that is a problem, but if you are always a giant asshole it is strangely endearing? I am guessing people are just giving Kamiya, specifically, a giant pass...? Or maybe we see it as some form of a satirical character? I honestly don't know, but it is definitely a double standard of some sort.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
In other words, "he's wacky and Japanese so it's OK, but she was just being a non-sensical woman who doesn't know what's she's talking about."
More like "She made it about her being a woman, which makes everyone put on their very serious hat, then she says she doesn't have to be nice to her (ANet's) customers on twitter, which in very serious mode is no-no and she got fired."

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's the nature of the platform. "Join the conversation" is basically their slogan. Make your account private or post on a different platform if you're not looking for anyone to respond to you.

So, in your view, what should a female game developer on Twitter do if she wants to talk about her work in one of the places where many game devs talk about her work in a way that will allow it to be interacted with by people she trusts and looks up too, while not getting spammed with helpful messages about how to do her job?

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparatively, I don't recall Jay Wilson getting fired for anything he did after the launch of Diablo 3, including the infamous "fuck that loser", comment. Certainly more inflammatory than what was said here.

The difference is Jay Wilson's comment was actually from a private facebook group/conversation, it wasn't public, somebody took a screenshot of it and made it public. It was also wasn't about the fans/community, it was about another developer he clearly didn't like, who actually basically said "I could do Jay's job better then he and the Diablo team currently are doing"

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are, and there's an argument to be made regarding severity. That argument doesn't start with calling Deroir out again and pretending the only other option was walking on eggshells as was the beginning of that chain.

Both arguments are compatible. She got mad at him with reasons so, she was rude? sure, dosn't mean it wasn't warranted. It gaves context about the reaction she had and what the post about gender mean it. It dosn't matter if Deroir intended it voluntarily or unvoluntarily, that's how it came across.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
You can't have a conversation when people come in and pretend to be dumb instead of engaging in all the arguments presented.
This won't change until the mod team gets more on the case in this thread. And I honestly am losing any interest in engaging in good faith after the 20th
"Jessica price deserved this. What do you mean with Peter Fries? Who is that? Why is this about gender again?"

It is just absolutely baffling after 8 years of documented garbage people still cannot give the slightest big of empathy here. Every judgement is made in a vaccuum of personal bias.

so just because there is precedent, this is definitely a case of a corrupt corporate hierarchy?

how is coming to that, incredibly accusatory conclusion without proper information any different from what gamergaters did?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second we started to bark at each other even the thinnest veneer of civility had peeled away...

That being said, I do think the Kamiya comparison is an interesting one. Why is it that if you engage positively with your community, but then make a shitty remark, that is a problem, but if you are always a giant asshole it is strangely endearing? I am guessing people are just giving Kamiya, specifically, a giant pass...? Or maybe we see it as some form of a satirical character? I honestly don't know, but it is definitely a double standard of some sort.

Im not too interested in talking about kamiya but his twitter account is to me more like a heel wrestler in kayfabe with people purposely saying stupid shit so a funny response can be made.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
developer's don't fucking 'serve' the people who buy their games. jesus christ. they don't, and should not, and to suggest otherwise says something PROFOUNDLY fucking depressing about the medium as an art form.

they owe NOTHING to people who are being assholes to them, whether they spend money on the game they helped make or not.

Huh...someone here should explain how businesses work

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Like do people truly and sincerely think that if a dude dev on twitter replied to someone calling them an asshat that they would get fired? Do they think that it would even gain enough tractaion to warrant a thread here?

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
User banned (1 week): downplaying sexism and online harassment campaigns, account still in junior stage

There's also the fact that Price used sexims as a shield to deflect the criticism that she was getting from the Guild wars 2 community for her tweets when her being a woman had nothing with it. That is not okay.

DorkyMohr

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's the nature of the platform. "Join the conversation" is basically their slogan. Make your account private or post on a different platform if you're not looking for anyone to respond to you.

That's an oversimplification of the platform and the situation. Just because you can reply to something doesn't mean it's always appropriate or wanted. Twitter users and gamers are dense when it comes to social intelligence and etiquette. Telling someone to buzz off when they've overreached is not a valid reason to get fired.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Lack of empathy is a hard thing to work with.

This is something we've been discussing for years and years, how abusive and toxic interactions work, how it affects the people involved and where it comes from. There's not an easy way to contextualize everything that is happening right now without reaching unnerving parallels, realizing how quickly the general perspective can change depending on who is considered the victim, and the mental mental gymnastics behind every bit of effort to isolate each case in favor of dismissing urgent problems, going to a high level of inconsistency and narratives that only fits in benefit of each social bubble handled like a shiny shield.

It bears not only cognitive dissonance, but a really dangerous way of manipulating facts and filtering merely what affects the intimacy of specific personal spaces. It's not about that, them, it's about us and/or me.

We're going into places of insecurity, ignorance and fragility. Realities that are one-sided to its limits, pursuing hate for the sake of protecting itself, confronting every risk like a furious attack towards a unique perspective. Blowing things out of proportion, using scapegoats, marginalizing minorities and by consequence, hunting exploits to cowardly justify infuriating acts of injustice and toxic nature.

People are treated like humans only when they're part of a very special group, with the rights that they earned by...what exactly? Oh yeah, always being on the top and not having to deal with common problems which somehow they can't even figure out, that it's their own fault to begin with.

Developers like Kamiya are out there, shouting at fans and interactig the exact way they feel like. The difference? They're mostly white men, and that makes it just a joke, a charismatic behaviour and just their personal views which they are "allowed"/free to express, for the sake of freedom of speech, they say, when it suits better for them, obviously.

I can't not express how disgusted i am with the fragility of the community behind this, the insecurity taking over everytime and creating basically witch hunts because people like Price are standing up for themselves and discussing well known issues with their honest viewpoint, which is ironically the most precious ideal within the kind of group attacking her.

Developers are humans, she deserves her own personal space and we need to stop pretending this woman crossed such a sacred line.

Last edited: