• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What she did was not worth firing over. They caved to mob pressure. If she had set fire to the office we wouldn't be talking about this. Well I guess we would, but not for the same reasons.
You get to decide what's firable? This is not the first nor the last time an employee will be fired over social media, man or woman.This isn't new. Calling a user a "rando asshat" is definitely within the scope of things you could expect to get fired for saying. Sometimes reading this thread I feel like almost everyone arguing otherwise has ever actually worked in any professional environment. This does not have to be explicitly stated or written in an employee handbook to be obvious.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like do people truly and sincerely think that if a dude dev on twitter replied to someone calling them an asshat that they would get fired? Do they think that it would even gain enough tractaion to warrant a thread here?

Nah dude would get fired (like he did here) and there would be no thread because no one would care (like no one cares about him here other than those begging the question)

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like do people truly and sincerely think that if a dude dev on twitter replied to someone calling them an asshat that they would get fired? Do they think that it would even gain enough tractaion to warrant a thread here?

Sure. Or at the least, if fired, I'd say it was their fault. Not every company has the same policy.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You get to decide what's firable? This is not the first nor the last time an employee will be fired over social media, man or woman.This isn't new. Calling a user a "rando asshat" is definitely within the scope of things you could expect to get fired for saying. Sometimes reading this thread I feel like nobody has ever actually worked in any professional environment. This does not have to be explicitly stated or written in an employee handbook to be obvious.
Peter Fries.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Kamiya's whole Twitter persona is acting like an asshole. It's expected because he has never shied away from it and the company that he works for obviously does not give a shit about his engagement with fans as long as he keeps the insults to the level of low quality shit posting. If Kamiya called a fan a racial slur for example his ass would be fired. There are levels. The real issue with Kamiya is why people don't feel some type of way about his antics but do about this.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the fact that Price used sexims as a shield to deflect the criticism that she was getting from the Guild wars 2 community for her tweets when her being a woman had nothing with it. That is not okay.

Except for the fact GG harassed her.

She felt he was mansplaining her, and then she made a comment about it and how usual is in the industry.

How's that not OK?

Oct 26, 2017
1. Price is kind of an asshole at times and quote tweeting someone negatively when you have 12k followers is a kind of a dick move.
2. Most of the people that wanted Price fired are total assholes that don't care about someone being an asshole
3. ANet should have warned Price instead of firing her, this doesn't seem like a fireable on first offense thing.
4. Treating Twitter as a private message system like Discord or Slack instead of a very public forum is something that people should stop doing.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the devs set expectations that their employees don't have to worry about being punished for speaking out like this means that it doesn't matter if an employee insulted a customer.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I don't have a lot to say about the firing that hasn't been said. I feel for Price and Fries. I think assuming they were good employees otherwise, Price should've probably received a private reprimand, and maybe Anet should've apologized to Deroir. Perhaps also privately. Deroir and his initial responses are what I'm most fuzzy about. I'm really conflicted on whether or not that is mansplaining, and the narrative definitively calling it that bothers me. I have a problem with myself being condescending to people in general, and I'm not always great at writing and reading tone in online communication. On one hand, I can kind of see how what he said is mansplaining, and on the other while Price may have not posted what she did inviting a community discussion, I don't think it's unusual to see it as that type of thing. I guess I also don't have a great idea of what the unwritten rules of Twitter might be.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kamiya, in addition to being Kamiya's boss, responds normally to people who actually @ him with praise and doesn't strong people up as hidden bigots. Most of the insults are responses to insults or people purposely asking him about shit he says not to (or in long English, but that's another story)

Is following kamiya even still popular

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did she lash out at that guy though, nothing he wrote was inflammatory or sexist, and it certainly didnt seem like mansplaining or anything. Just someone who knows his stuff and is a fan of the game striking up conversation. Look there are sexist shitty people in this industry whom that type of response might be appropriate for, this guy didnt seem like one of them. Should she have been fired? No, in that case people like kamiya should also be fired.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, in your view, what should a female game developer on Twitter do if she wants to talk about her work in one of the places where many game devs talk about her work in a way that will allow it to be interacted with by people she trusts and looks up too, while not getting spammed with helpful messages about how to do her job?

Regardless of gender, I would make sure my employer is cool with my saying whatever to whomever on Twitter about my work at the company.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nah dude would get fire (like he did here) and there would be no thread because no one would care (like no one cares about him here other than those begging the question)
They guy who got fired was fired in response to Price's firing. It didn't happen in a vacuum

If guys being rude to customers was treated the same way as this we'd have a thread once a fuckin week

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
developer's don't fucking 'serve' the people who buy their games. jesus christ. they don't, and should not, and to suggest otherwise says something PROFOUNDLY fucking depressing about the medium as an art form.

they owe NOTHING to people who are being assholes to them, whether they spend money on the game they helped make or not.
Well, I personally do think developers serve the people who buy their games. I also think most videogames are entertainment and not art, but that's an entirely different (and probably more complicated) argument. I also think developers should also serve their employers, and what happened definitely didn't benefit them. It didn't benefit anyone.

That said, I do agree they don't owe anything to people who are being assholes, especially if they didn't spend money on the game.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is a prime example of why I tell developers to always go through your community team if you're going to talk to players at all.

Oct 29, 2017
This situation seems to bring to light the unfortunate snag that we as a community have when it comes to being critical of someone who is "on our side." If she had been exposed as alt-right, no doubt this thread would be full of laughing or reaction gifs, regardless of the validity of her claims. We can't be hypocritical when it comes to situations like this and forming some kind of narrative that Deroir is a bigoted GGer when he's clearly just a fan trying to have a conversation is gross, wrong and the kind of thing you'd expect from GG themselves.

She had just been in a reddit AMA answering questions and comments and her twitter thread was a direct continuation of that. She could have easily ignored the tweet if she didn't want to answer. Deroir's reply was completely polite, and he proposed a solution that he believed would help relieve the issue presented by Price. There is nothing wrong with this, unless we're no longer allowed to make suggestions or criticisms of a game in the presence of one of it's developers? Which is definitely something that happens on Era.

Remember also that the tweet in which Deroir expresses his disappointment that she got angry and apologized was made after she called him an asshat, mansplainer and made him out to be a sexist all because of his suggestion. He definitely wasn't the one who threw a tantrum first.

You can make fun of free speech and applaud all you want when the outcome is in your favor, but acting like Price's behavior was professional and appropriate is not what I'd have expected from Era, given our track record with similar events in the past, and definitely not an ethical response or the truth.

Was Price's behavior, considering she clearly listed her affiliation with ArenaNet on her twitter, appropriate? No.
Did she deserve to have rabid GGers sicced on her? No.
Should she have been fired for this? Debatable. We all know only bad things happen when you use your affiliate twitter account to express your personal opinions in an unprofessional manner.
Did ArenaNet unceremoniously throw her to the wolves after firing her? Absolutely.
Does Deroir deserve to be treated like a terrible individual in this thread? Absolutely not. And if that's what is required to form some kind of defense for Price, then it's time to reevaluate your position.

But acting like her being fired is any sort of surprise after what happened, especially since we're so familiar with it on this forum, and holding the indefensible position that her twitter account should be a safe space for any kind of behavior despite us literally laughing at the prospect until now, shows a really skewed and hypocritical side to our frame of mind as well as our twisted sense of justice.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If the dev worked for someone else and not only insulted them but called them a bigot and the person was a partner with his employer then yeah

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Cliffy B routinely had long threads on GAF shitting on him for his social media behaviour. Adam Orth was eviscerated on GAF with memes and celebration of him leaving MS due to anger around his behaviour. Jay Wilson was shit on as well with long topics on GAF about his fuck that guy comments, and while Blizzard didn't fire him he was sent grovelling - https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/6398870250

Kamiya does seem to get away with more, but that's not to say he doesn't get called out by people pissed off at his brash behaviour, but for better or worse he's managed to create a social media character around his banning and snark. Not everyone gets "Hideki Kamiya" level "privilege" on social media.

I'm not linking to any more GAF topics but just search

"Jay Wilson neogaf"
"Cliffy B neogaf"
"Adam Orth neogaf"

in Google and quickly remember history around some other notable mouthpieces who have said things on social media and ended up facing consequences.

It happens and it's not always equal as each employer might act differently and/or your position in the company does sometimes give you a veneer of privilege. I think a thing with Hideki Kamiya is him behaving cool and decent in real life, so his social media account is treated more like an act or overly stimulated behaviour. Like some sort of comedian.
Yeah I was active in the Diablo forums (and playing the game) when it went down, got to report few death threats during that time. I still remember those comments almost word for word, since I was bit shocked how people think it's okay to speak like that about game devs (beheading, driving over with a car) and even do it so publicly. And I've tried to call out people here and in GAF for their attitude and comments against Cliff and BossKey, but I felt pretty fucking alone in that. Also I mentioned earlier how reading GAF made the creative director of Rime cry and he didn't even have any abrasive social media history, the game wasn't even out yet but people were incredibly cruel towards their team. Gamers can be really toxic and hostile which is a problem, as is misogyny in gaming and otherwise.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
In other words, "he's wacky and Japanese so it's OK, but she was just being a non-sensical woman who doesn't know what's she's talking about."
As unfair as it may be, Kamiya is simply too high up in the food chain to be let go easily. Especially not in Japan where these things are handled quite differently, so the whole comparison doesn't work

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like do people truly and sincerely think that she was fired simply over word choice with "asshat" in the direction of a fan? Come on, now...

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Kamiya, in addition to being Kamiya's boss, responds normally to people who actually @ him with praise and doesn't strong people up as hidden bigots. Most of the insults are responses to insults or people purposely asking him about shit he says not to (or in long English, but that's another story)

Is following kamiya even still popular

i dont think what Kamiya is doing is justifiable either. but as you said, kamiya is essentially kamiya's boss, and thats the main difference.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Spamming
This situation seems to bring to light the unfortunate snag that we as a community have when it comes to being critical of someone who is "on our side." If she had been exposed as alt-right, no doubt this thread would be full of laughing or reaction gifs, regardless of the validity of her claims. We can't be hypocritical when it comes to situations like this and forming some kind of narrative that Deroir is a bigoted GGer when he's clearly just a fan trying to have a conversation is gross, wrong and the kind of thing you'd expect from GG themselves.

She had just been in a reddit AMA answering questions and comments and her twitter thread was a direct continuation of that. She could have easily ignored the tweet if she didn't want to answer. Deroir's reply was completely polite, and he proposed a solution that he believed would help relieve the issue presented by Price. There is nothing wrong with this, unless we're no longer allowed to make suggestions or criticisms of a game in the presence of one of it's developers? Which is definitely something that happens on Era.

Remember also that the tweet in which Deroir expresses his disappointment that she got angry and apologized was made after she called him an asshat, mansplainer and made him out to be a sexist all because of his suggestion. He definitely wasn't the one who threw a tantrum first.

You can make fun of free speech and applaud all you want when the outcome is in your favor, but acting like Price's behavior was professional and appropriate is not what I'd have expected from Era, given our track record with similar events in the past, and definitely not an ethical response or the truth.

Was Price's behavior, considering she clearly listed her affiliation with ArenaNet on her twitter, appropriate? No.
Did she deserve to have rabid GGers sicced on her? No.
Should she have been fired for this? Debatable. We all know only bad things happen when you use your affiliate twitter account to express your personal opinions in an unprofessional manner.
Did ArenaNet unceremoniously throw her to the wolves after firing her? Absolutely.
Does Deroir deserve to be treated like a terrible individual in this thread? Absolutely not. And if that's what is required to form some kind of defense for Price, then it's time to reevaluate your position.

But acting like her being fired is any sort of surprise after what happened, especially since we're so familiar with it on this forum, and holding the indefensible position that her twitter account should be a safe space for any kind of behavior despite us literally laughing at the prospect until now, shows a really skewed and hypocritical side to our frame of mind as well as our twisted sense of justice.
Peter Fries.

I'm just going to do this to every post coming in not engaging with anything that was said and pretending how their hottake of this being so justified cause "both sides or similar". Cause that's the level of answers that are deserved.

At mods: I'm totally fine getting a temp for this.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knock it off. I'm allowed to give my opinion. ArenaNet is in the wrong for firing her.
Sure, agree to disagree on whether they are in the wrong. With that said, ArenaNet is indisputably entirely within their rights, and within general industry norms for firing people over acting out on social media, especially as it refers to insulting others publicly.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Huh...someone here should explain how businesses work
do you think that someone who works on a movie is beholden to serve anyone who watches their movie? are the readers of a book 'customers' of the author, and thus should the author always defer to the wills and opinions of their readers? is a painter a 'customer' of anyone who goes to their exhibition?

that's not, and will never be, how the interaction between the artist and consumer of art works

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an oversimplification of the platform and the situation. Just because you can reply to something doesn't mean it's always appropriate or wanted. Twitter users and gamers are dense when it comes to social intelligence and etiquette. Telling someone to buzz off when they've overreached is not a valid reason to get fired.

This is some hot bullshit. I've been using Twitter for almost a decade now and I must have missed it becoming some sensitive realm of delicate etiquette? Is this part of the whole "don't @ me" thing?

All comments are open for reply. That's the whole point of the damn platform.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
That's an oversimplification of the platform and the situation.

It really is not. Twitter does not have etiquette and the platform is designed for engagement. This comes with the territory of having a public account. You make your account public, you gather a large following and you get to enjoy all the things Twitter does for your brand and your reach to other people. You in the same turn do not get to pretend that a very fundamental part of the platform from the jump has boundaries and it's your private place when you want it to be.

It doesn't work like that. It's burying your head in the sand to think otherwise.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Wasn't there some mother who got fired from her job as a real estate or something because her child called lil...something was acting a certain way on social media?

It escapes me, but this stuff happens. Social media is nuts.

This thread is nuts too

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As unfair as it may be, Kamiya is simply too high up in the food chain to be let go easily. Especially not in Japan where these things are handled quite differently, so the whole comparison doesn't work

I understand why it's happening. I don't understand why people are making goofy threads or praising it online, then turning around and talking about how it's very important you treat all your customers with the utmost respect. I have no problems with Kamiya being an asshat to fans on Twitter. I also have no issue with Price doing what she did or Cliffy B owning folks on Twitter, as long as none of it denigrates into hate speech or harassment.

It's good to know a dude a half a decade ago was the last white dude employed at a game studio to act in any way shady.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Adam Orth was years ago in the wake of one of the most unpopular gaming decisions ever. And he wasn't even fired inmmediatly (he actually resigned) even after gainning way more gaming press traction that this stupid incident that was a fucking fart in the middle of the Sahara desert.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
People just retreat to the defensible constantly. Oh, he's high on the company food chain. He can't be fired. Please don't notice that I'm criticizing a woman for being rude defending her existence as a female game developer while I giggle at a man being even more rude for literal nonsense reasons.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
That's not at all my point. They could have been looking over her shoulder as she posted the tweet and then fired her, they still were caving to hate mob pressure that had existed LONG BEFORE this incident.

So because someone is unpopular with a fringe radical group of Nazis means that anything they do shouldn't be acted on? Dude, GG is doing the same thing Trump did with those kids stuck in a cave with their coach. Do nothing then bandwagon on after the fact like it was all their doing. This is right wing rhetoric 101. I hate that GG is piling on but I still won't crucify AN for doing what they had to do after a developer insulted one of their partners who drives game interest and revenue.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Orth was years ago in the wake of one of the most unpopular gaming decisions ever. And he wasn't even fired inmmediatly (he actually resigned) even after gainning way more gaming press traction that this stupid incident that was a fucking fart in the middle of the Sahara desert.

That's moving the goal posts. You said no white male and I gave you one